Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Why is THIS the MMO I decide to come to after years of not touching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

heathkit posted:

And now the forums are down. This is pretty hilarious.

Maybe they decided to pull the plug on this lovely game

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

50% of the base. so a thatched costs 23 certs/week in a maxed tax zone

I think the question is, is the 50% tax applied before or after the multiple-properties multiplier?

Do we always pay the lord of the castle 8 tax certs for a Thatched, or might we end up paying some 20+ if we're land barons?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I invite all applicable goons to forsake Archeage and come play with me in Myst Online: Uru Live

http://mystonline.com/en/

If you enjoyed the puzzles and mysteries of Myst, the trend-breaking and gorgeous world of Url: Live Online will leave you breathless.

Myst Uru Online is a full 3D world filled with the type of brain-scratching puzzles you've come to expect from the Myst franchise, and it's Free to Play with No Cash Shop! You can customize an avatar for a Real World Experience as you quest between the Ages and explore the puzzles left for us by the D'ji - an ancient race who decided puzzles were a good way to do pretty much everything.

There are about 13 pubbies on the main server and I have no idea what they were up to but they were gathered together asking for songs and dances.

In conclusion, Uru: Myst, Live is an exciting new property that I feel we can build a new goon presence in.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Aeka 2.0 posted:

its like, above average man

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

balistafreak posted:

I think the question is, is the 50% tax applied before or after the multiple-properties multiplier?

Do we always pay the lord of the castle 8 tax certs for a Thatched, or might we end up paying some 20+ if we're land barons?

:shrug:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I knew there'd be some crazy tears and droves of people leaving the game after today when so many people's dreams of land ownership came crashing down, but I never expected this much of an epic fail.

Highlights:
-- Majority of people unable to login because your hackshield program wont' let them.
-- All land being snapped up before most people who play are even home from work/school?
-- Losing a castle because the game booted your guild leader while he's carrying the pack to Auroria?

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
People on ArcheageStatus are saying that last time the forums were up the GMs were saying this could take up to two days to fix. Can anyone confirm seeing that? I'm hoping it's a rumor.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

InternetJunky posted:

I knew there'd be some crazy tears and droves of people leaving the game after today when so many people's dreams of land ownership came crashing down, but I never expected this much of an epic fail.

Highlights:
-- Majority of people unable to login because your hackshield program wont' let them.
-- All land being snapped up before most people who play are even home from work/school?
-- Losing a castle because the game booted your guild leader while he's carrying the pack to Auroria?

whatever, gently caress you got mine

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

KimJongUnstoppable posted:

People on ArcheageStatus are saying that last time the forums were up the GMs were saying this could take up to two days to fix. Can anyone confirm seeing that? I'm hoping it's a rumor.
When I was last able to load the thread (about 1/2 hour ago) it was still on "Update 6" saying that a fix was about 3 hours away.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As someone with more than 4 properties, I really think the land issue wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue if they had made the tax rate far higher than it is. I've had up to 8 properties at a given time and I never once really felt the increased taxes that bad. Taxes should really ramp up beyond 2-3 properties.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

angerbot posted:

I invite all applicable goons to forsake Archeage and come play with me in Myst Online: Uru Live

http://mystonline.com/en/

If you enjoyed the puzzles and mysteries of Myst, the trend-breaking and gorgeous world of Url: Live Online will leave you breathless.

Myst Uru Online is a full 3D world filled with the type of brain-scratching puzzles you've come to expect from the Myst franchise, and it's Free to Play with No Cash Shop! You can customize an avatar for a Real World Experience as you quest between the Ages and explore the puzzles left for us by the D'ji - an ancient race who decided puzzles were a good way to do pretty much everything.

There are about 13 pubbies on the main server and I have no idea what they were up to but they were gathered together asking for songs and dances.

In conclusion, Uru: Myst, Live is an exciting new property that I feel we can build a new goon presence in.

The shadow council already has a guild there

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Third World Reggin posted:

The shadow council already has a guild there

There's a surprising number of players for something that died a decade ago

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm ready to get in on the ground floor of the next awful MMO. What's next fellas? Let's just expedite the process and destroy the guild before the game comes out so I don't even need to buy it.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Eonwe posted:

As someone with more than 4 properties, I really think the land issue wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue if they had made the tax rate far higher than it is. I've had up to 8 properties at a given time and I never once really felt the increased taxes that bad. Taxes should really ramp up beyond 2-3 properties.

nah, i like having 4 properties now. ~libertarianism~

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Eonwe posted:

The logic of having a F2P game where one of the biggest perks for subscribing is land ownership, but making land intentionally scarce seems weird to me. Do the Korean/Russian games have the same payment structure?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Evidence that the gods love you, and don't want you wasting your life on MMOs.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
I genuinely feel sorry for valor #1.

Also, I didn't even try to log in today, which is good because the power company accidentally disconnected my power.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
The forums are back up.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Highlights:

-- After a long period of advertising a November 4th release date for Auroria to give people the chance to arrange time off work if they so chose, switching the Euro release to 9:00 AM GMT on November 5th and not telling anyone until yesterday. I guess they ended up changing it to the less lovely time of 5 pm GMT, but still. :trion:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

For those of you who can not log in and want to play video games with friends I recomend this game

http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

it is mafia, free, and fun

I am there as ThirdWorld. If you friend me and enough people are online I'll start a goon only match.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mimetic posted:

The logic of having a F2P game where one of the biggest perks for subscribing is land ownership, but making land intentionally scarce seems weird to me. Do the Korean/Russian games have the same payment structure?

I heard the Russian servers have a hard restriction of 3 properties (per character? per account?) so hoarding isn't a huge problem. Trion knew about this, but decided the escalating taxes would probably be a good enough disincentive. :ccp:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mimetic posted:

The forums are back up.

Not even remotely

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Guuse posted:

-- After a long period of advertising a November 4th release date for Auroria to give people the chance to arrange time off work if they so chose, switching the Euro release to 9:00 AM GMT on November 5th and not telling anyone until yesterday. I guess they ended up changing it to the less lovely time of 5 pm GMT, but still. :trion:

And now I can't play my euro alt until then, because my copy of the game is not compatible with the euro servers. Oh well, hopefully Trion will fix the problem before they launch, so you guys won't have the hilarious misery the NA launch has had.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

angerbot posted:

Not even remotely

I got to look at it before it went down and they had apparenlty worken up XL games and the hackshield guys to work on this.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I'm soon starting a round of town of salem, a mafia game, for those of us who can't log into archeage.

Come play games with friends and have fun.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

angerbot posted:

Not even remotely

Was for like 5 minutes. Nothing more in the update thread past "2-3 hours" they said earlier.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I got to look at it before it went down and they had apparenlty worken up XL games and the hackshield guys to work on this.

You should come discover the world of Myst: It's still a thing and also a present day person is there

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it lets me get it from fileplanet, oh wowoy wow wow

heathkit
May 1, 2009
Well, I'm looking forward to Albion, hopefully the next test in January will be worth it.

Also, I figured I'd use the downtime to check out Landmark - and then promptly uninstalled it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

For those of you who can not log in and want to play video games with friends I recomend this game

http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

it is mafia, free, and fun

I am there as ThirdWorld. If you friend me and enough people are online I'll start a goon only match.

This game is badass fun and I can vouch for it. Add me as Widestancer. We also have a thread up in Imp Zone.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Angela Christine posted:

I heard the Russian servers have a hard restriction of 3 properties (per character? per account?) so hoarding isn't a huge problem. Trion knew about this, but decided the escalating taxes would probably be a good enough disincentive. :ccp:

Probably because they make about the same amount or more money from people having to pay insane tax costs as opposed to those lands being distributed amongst several players paying a subscription.

If someone owns 10 small houses and 10 medium farms (the one from the trade pack quest), the cost is 18000 credits a week, or about 100 dollars just for the certs a WEEK, and about 415 dollars including the sub.

Now if those houses and farms were divided amongst several players due to a cap of 3 lands per account (all of them paying the full $15 a month and not getting a discount for paying for several months at once) the math works out to them making just $100 dollars on subscription fees, since those lands can be paid for by loyalty tokens alone. 20 properties / 3 max properties per player * $15 = $100 profit from account subs.

The property cap would have to be 2 per account the way things are working now in order for it to be more profitable to actually have land evenly distributed. Even if the tax cost for more land were increased dramatically, it would only make the situation worse because land whales (lol) would be way more profitable.

*Updated with better maths

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 5, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Mercury_Storm posted:

Probably because they make about the same amount or more money from people having to pay insane tax costs as opposed to those lands being distributed amongst several players paying a subscription.

If someone owns 10 small houses and 10 medium farms (the one from the trade pack quest), the cost is 18000 credits a week, or about 100 dollars just for the certs, and about 115 dollars including the sub.

Now if those houses and farms were divided amongst several players due to a cap of 3 lands per account (all of them paying the full $15 a month and not getting a discount for paying for several months at once) the math works out to them making just $100 dollars on subscription fees, since those lands can be paid for by loyalty tokens alone. 20 properties / 3 max properties per player * $15 = $100 profit from account subs.

The property cap would have to be 2 per account the way things are working now in order for it to be more profitable to actually have land evenly distributed. Even if the tax cost for more land were increased dramatically, it would only make the situation worse because land whales (lol) would be way more profitable.

The problem is this assumes a) everyone is paying for tax certs with real money or loyalty instead of just using labor or buying from the AH and b) that land is still taxed after 10 properties, which it isn't.

There's is straight up no reason to allow infinite housing for any individual if costs are capped at ten properties and you have people leaving your game because those land barons are getting all of it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Starting a new town of salem game for you guys.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Starting a new town of salem game for you guys.

I have joined as IcelandIsForLovers how do I Salem help

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Friend "ThirdWorld" and I can invite you into the game easily if you are on my friends list. I don't see you online though via the other invite method.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Friend "ThirdWorld" and I can invite you into the game easily if you are on my friends list. I don't see you online though via the other invite method.

It just says invite sent also I think I'm a godfather now

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Axel Serenity posted:

The problem is this assumes a) everyone is paying for tax certs with real money or loyalty instead of just using labor or buying from the AH and b) that land is still taxed after 10 properties, which it isn't.

There's is straight up no reason to allow infinite housing for any individual if costs are capped at ten properties and you have people leaving your game because those land barons are getting all of it.

You still have to pay taxes on land after 10 properties, the cost just doesn't rise as sharply as it does after that.

*Wait I'm tired as hell and just realized that it's 80000 labor weekly for 20 properties, and you get 86400 free labor per Month (assuming you're online the entire time), so that leaves roughly 49500 credits required to be used which is 267 bucks. The certs have to be coming from the auction house or marketplace at that point, and those certs must be paid for with real money by someone because the marketplace certs are the only ones that are tradeable.

So it is still more profitable to have one person have all those houses, also because the tax costs for just placing the houses go up dramatically too.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 5, 2014

Atlasesque
Apr 8, 2014

Axel Serenity posted:

Wait, what? You don't pay taxes on properties after 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pavlov posted:

It just says invite sent also I think I'm a godfather now

Ahaha you may be in your own game. When I invite you to a match, you get a pop up in notifications in the bottom right. You then join it that way.

• Locked thread