Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Done with all the no damage achievements through Mama's Boy. I'm sure there are more but for now I don't have to worry about choking those four again.

Waka Waka is a really funny gimmick for a challenge. I didn't find many helpful items though so it sure got challenging near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just destroyed a rainbow poop and a rainbow appeared and...what? I honestly have no idea what happened. :psyduck:

alr
May 14, 2009

Little Blue Couch posted:

Yo a lot of people are posting about the rooms that have a big red die face in the middle of them. Seems like each number has a different effect. 1 works like a forget me now, 3 rerolls every collectible on the level, can't figure out what 4 does, and i THINK that 6 is the one that completely randomizes all the items you've gathered. They appear behind those two-key doors, although you can also get a room full of collectibles, or a horseshit room full of flies.

I got 5 and it teleported me straight to the next level, no boss fight.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Alkydere posted:

I just destroyed a rainbow poop and a rainbow appeared and...what? I honestly have no idea what happened. :psyduck:

I think it refills your red heart containers.

vvv The music is alright. I think everyone is just weirded out that they completely dumped the original melodies, but yeah it's not the end of the world.

skull wall fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 5, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
One more thing about people complaining about the music in this game being bad and "forgettable" -- maybe give it some more time to grow on you. I'm sure the first hour of hearing the original BoI music didn't convince you it was the best thing ever. Comparing the new music to poo poo that was ingrained in your head over hundreds of hours isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Give the new music some time and I'm sure you'll grow to like it, nay, love it!

Also to the people who are saying that pills and some other stuff aren't bound to any buttons by default on the Vita need to actually, you know, check the controls options first before jumping to conclusions. Pills are by default bound to the touch screen. Like the map.

Again, seriously people, do you not check the options menu to look at the controls list before posting about how you don't know what button does what, or being surprised that there's a button to drop trinkets? It's clearly listed in the controls options. You do know there are controls options, right?

Telling people to RTFM will never go out of style I guess. It's just so funny how adverse people are to poking around in menus looking for the answer to their question, but have absolutely no problem jumping on a forum to complain/ask about controls.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 5, 2014

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I'm trying to figure out why revenge fly is better than dead bird. I mean it definitely is better, i guess it just does more damage? Is dead bird still in the game?

alr posted:

I got 5 and it teleported me straight to the next level, no boss fight.

Good to know, that actually sounds like it sucks.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Game just crashed when using the fortune telling machine when I had the moon and brimstone for the sweet swirl and shoot effect. Feels like old times already!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Damo posted:

One more thing about people complaining about the music in this game being bad and "forgettable" -- maybe give it some more time to grow on you. I'm sure the first hour of hearing the original BoI music didn't convince you it was the best thing ever. Comparing the new music to poo poo that was ingrained in your head over hundreds of hours isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Give the new music some time and I'm sure you'll grow to like it, nay, love it!

You really need to calm down about the music, jeez.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

Little Blue Couch posted:

I'm trying to figure out why revenge fly is better than dead bird. I mean it definitely is better, i guess it just does more damage? Is dead bird still in the game?

Good to know, that actually sounds like it sucks.

You mean Eve's Bird? It sucks even more now. The AI for it is a crapshoot that can't target anything unless you're five feet away from it.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

GeneX posted:

You really need to calm down about the music, jeez.

Yeah man, I'm so upset about the music I made a whole TWO calm posts praising it and telling people to give it a chance! You're right, I really need to calm down! I'm so upset I can feel steam coming out of my ears.

Seriously, what are you even talking about? Expressing how I like the music and that others might like it too after a while isn't exactly getting into rage mode.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Loot posted:

You mean Eve's Bird? It sucks even more now. The AI for it is a crapshoot that can't target anything unless you're five feet away from it.

So it's just a worse smart fly, good to know. gently caress that bird.

By the way I've been wrong all these years, mom's knife owns super fuckin hard and I should have seen that earlier

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So I got to Womb II in the Solar System Challenge with the Compass, Bob's Rotten Head, Bob's buddy thing, 7 hearts, AND THE BIBLE!

Then this happened:

:smithicide:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Logan 5 posted:

So I got to Womb II in the Solar System Challenge with the Compass, Bob's Rotten Head, Bob's buddy thing, 7 hearts, AND THE BIBLE!

Then this happened:

:smithicide:

Does it not let you Continue in challenges?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Haha, Dark Bum + that double secret room with nothing but hearts creates a sorta-perpetual loop, he'll take all the red hearts but since red hearts are the only thing that can spawn in there he just drops more red hearts which just continues the cycle. Once we finally left he gave me like 5 soul hearts before finally chilling out.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Does it not let you Continue in challenges?

I reloaded the game, and it did indeed say continue, thank god. It started me back at the beginning of the level.

Crashed in the same room again. :argh:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Someone asked what the "more options" item does earlier, it turns out that it's a passive that gives you two items after a boss but you only get to choose one. Doesn't work on Mom though.

Day 1 and I got two heart kills, an Isaac kill, five challenges down, almost all the characters unlocked, and two levels into the store. I'm ready for bed. Hopefully it's a slow day at work tomorrow so I can get more playing in.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Damo posted:

So, regarding the save slots -- is there any way to rename them? Do they ever give any sort of inkling what that save slot has achieved or anything to differentiate them from on another? Because I've played for a while and slot 1 still just looks like the other slots. It's kind of weird that they don't show anything that differentiates a used save slot from an empty save lot.
Every time you win the game the picture on that save game changes appropriately, much like the title screen in the original game.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

The Kins posted:

Every time you win the game the picture on that save game changes appropriately, much like the title screen in the original game.

Ah, ok great, thanks. I haven't actually managed to beat the game yet on my handful of playthroughs, so it makes sense I haven't seen that yet.

I need to Get Gud fast. It's so weird how smooth this drat game is, it's throwing me off :argh:. Seriously though, it's so awesome playing a 60fps version of this game, it's just a loving dream come true.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Well after 7 reloads in an attempt to salvage this Solar System run it FINALLY worked and let me clear that one room that kept crashing.

1st try :smugdog:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 5, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are there any other items that work well with Azazel's minibrimstone besides Tammy's Head? I've noticed that range ups don't work and while Inner Eye does make it do comical amounts of damage it charges super slow in the process.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

dis astranagant posted:

Are there any other items that work well with Azazel's minibrimstone besides Tammy's Head? I've noticed that range ups don't work and while Inner Eye does make it do comical amounts of damage it charges super slow in the process.

I forget the exact name, but it's the *something* method. It creates a gigantic laser death ring that you move independently of yourself. It is godly.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Yo, what's the deal with Eden? You unlock one "use" with her every time you kill Mom or what?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Found a combo where I actually like My Reflection: reflection+antigravity tears+coal.(ideally with high rate of fire)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh7UJh9Rzxo

Really really fun to use. Also can do a whole lot of damage.
It handles weirdly because where you sling bullets depends on what you pressed when you spawned them, not when you release them, so if you start holding down left, then switch to holding down right before releasing, most of the bullets will still slingshot left. So you need to know which way you're gonna be lobbing them beforehand.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 5, 2014

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

Yo, what's the deal with Eden? You unlock one "use" with her every time you kill Mom or what?

Yup. They get randomized stats and two random items to start with.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wittgen posted:

I forget the exact name, but it's the *something* method. It creates a gigantic laser death ring that you move independently of yourself. It is godly.

Ludovico Technique. Good to know that works on it as well as the regular version.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I just got bit by a sync bug on PSN. It seems like if you sync it will overwrite your progress with a blank save file the first time you do it. I played about 3 hours today, but didn't actually unlock a ton of poo poo or anything. It's not too annoying, but it was unexpected. So make sure to sync BEFORE you start playing once so that it doesn't happen to you if you're playing on PS4 or Vita.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Brother Entropy posted:

That's pretty neat. Wish I didn't just kill myself during my Eden test run. :v:

Also, as with the first game, never hesitate to just gimp yourself for devil room items. I only had two heart containers and a few soul hearts, sure, but Mom's Heart isn't going to stand up to a damage bonus'd poisonous brimstone and two of those black hearts.

Also holy gently caress Mom's Heart is so much more fun to fight now. It attacks you and everything!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Tollymain posted:

what happened?

also, holy poo poo the devil beggar is the best loving buddy ever, especially combined with the 9 lives pickup :haw:
Yeah that guy converts red hearts to spirit hearts 1:1 which is crazy.

And since you can't have spirit hearts off the screen, there's no reason pick up health containers once you get that guy since health up only limits the max umber of spirit hearts you can have.

e: 1+1=2 is probably the best shop item I've encountered so far. Turns all penny/bomb/key drops into two, including all existing ones on the floor and any payouts from slots/bloodbanks.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 5, 2014

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
I got my second win from a glitch of some kind. I don't remember what I picked up, but I remember pausing and unpausing my game and I suddenly had dozens of items. It was only the second level of the caves, but checking my stuff on the pause screen, the entire inventory was filled up, all my old upgrades replaced with new ones and lots of them. I had just the chemical peel damage upgrade, but I then had rapid-fire/exploding/reflecting tears that made everything trivial and even if I got hit, something would activate where I was glowing in rainbow colors, was invincible and could damage enemies.

Happen to anyone else? Some item I had that I didn't notice?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All my runs have been poo poo, I don't get a single decent item or anything to boost my attack, I just had one end with Isaac in Depths 2 despite not getting a single tear enhancing item.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Holy poo poo, early life savings + arcade = loving run handed to you. Free money every time you're hit, including using the blood bank? Yes please!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Brother Entropy posted:

I started with Spectral Tears as well as an item called "Flush" that turned every enemy in the room into poop. The run went really easily despite me getting nothing but bad active items as most of my treasure. Rebirth feels easier than Wrath of the Lamb to me, although I never played BoI without it so maybe this isn't really all that easy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just oneshotted Mom's Heart with Azazel+Tammy's Head :stonk:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Alteisen posted:

All my runs have been poo poo, I don't get a single decent item or anything to boost my attack, I just had one end with Isaac in Depths 2 despite not getting a single tear enhancing item.

You'll get it. The keys are usually to abuse arcades as much as possible to trade in red hearts on the floor for opportunities to increase consumables. This gives you enough resources to access item/secret rooms, and then it will probably also give you enough spirit hearts to guarantee you Devil Rooms due to not taking red heart damage. I'm not sure if it's changed in Rebirth, but the magic number is 5 coins. Try to stay above that so that your chances to generate an arcade are increased.

A lot of runs definitely are marginal, but most are winnable in some fashion with the variable usually being player skill. I've probably played 5 runs today, and managed to beat mom on two of them.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 5, 2014

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I'm wondering if this game seems easier than WOTL because it's not loving chugging under an abused flash engine. Anyway yeah I can confirm that the 6 die face room randomizes your items, because I just went from a pretty decent run to a run where I had soy milk, cursed eye, and a bunch of stat effects. The tears themselves didn't do much damage but every single one had a chance to burn, explode, or charm an enemy, and if i hammered on fire i would have a ludicrously fast stream. Mom's Heart took maybe thirty seconds.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
OK, so I've just noticed that it quite definitely says

quote:

Analog directional movement and speed

on the Steam store page. So is it meant to have this? Because it certainly doesn't on my system.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
what happens if i have 1 heart and 1 soul and take a 1 heart devil deal? what if i have 0 soulhearts?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

what happens if i have 1 heart and 1 soul and take a 1 heart devil deal? what if i have 0 soulhearts?

You'll still be alive in the first case but only have the soul heart left. If you have 0 soul hearts and you take a deal you just straight up die.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

chippy posted:

OK, so I've just noticed that it quite definitely says

on the Steam store page. So is it meant to have this? Because it certainly doesn't on my system.

Need a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Woo! My first Mom kill ever!

Rapid fire fear-bullets are amazing.