Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

chippy posted:

OK, so I've just noticed that it quite definitely says

on the Steam store page. So is it meant to have this? Because it certainly doesn't on my system.

Are you using a controller or something else that's an analog input device? You obviously can't get analog input off of a standard keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

I'm using a 360 pad. Should it have analogue movement then?

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

chippy posted:

Yeah I have full 360 movement with my analogue stick, have you checked your bindings?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

chippy posted:

Are you using the analog stick?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yes, I'm using the analogue stick. I'm not expecting analogue movement from a D-Pad.

I did re-arrange some of the trigger/shoulder button bindings, but that's it. The pad support generally is loving apalling on my machine, behaves really weirdly in menus, and other such strangeness. I don't know what's causing it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Invalid Validation posted:

As I suspected, it's about a million times easier in this game to get overpowered since items combine. Makes the game so much better.
Well, at least for our first ~50 hours we don't know which items are garbage and which might have potential but will screw up our interactions. We are as likely to get find ourselves in a gimped run as a powerful one.

I got that planetary orbit item on the 2nd floor, man that tear effect sucks. I died on mom's heart and I'm amazed I made it that far like that. And I would love to see someone beat gemini using soy milk, because that is a nightmare I hope never to repeat.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

So far my favorite new item is the anti-gravity tears. They're amazing for any enemy that teleports, you can set up a treacherous minefield, and you can still fire like normal by hitting fire repeatedly.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

chippy posted:

Yes, I'm using the analogue stick. I'm not expecting analogue movement from a D-Pad.

I did re-arrange some of the trigger/shoulder button bindings, but that's it. The pad support generally is loving apalling on my machine, behaves really weirdly in menus, and other such strangeness. I don't know what's causing it.
My 360 controller was detected immediately and works flawlessly so something's up with your controllers driver or something. I wouldn't worry about it, I don't really see the appeal to using analog movement for a game like this anyways. You almost always want to be moving full speed and since the rooms are designed on a square grid you generally want to be moving in straight lines in and out of cover. Using the analog stick makes movement sloppier, not more precise for me.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sanctum posted:

And I would love to see someone beat gemini using soy milk, because that is a nightmare I hope never to repeat.
I've done it, but I also had lots of help in the form of spoon bender and the book of belial.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In depths there was a door covered with wood which I blew open with multiple bombs. Inside was a bed(???) which was surrounded with spikes and a carpet. I bombed the carpet and an entrance straight to womb 1 opened up. What is going on :stare:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Meep posted:

My 360 controller was detected immediately and works flawlessly so something's up with your controllers driver or something. I wouldn't worry about it, I don't really see the appeal to using analog movement for a game like this anyways. You almost always want to be moving full speed and since the rooms are designed on a square grid you generally want to be moving in straight lines in and out of cover. Using the analog stick makes movement sloppier, not more precise for me.

Curious. Ok, at least I know it's something just affecting my machine then. Thanks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

In depths there was a door covered with wood which I blew open with multiple bombs. Inside was a bed(???) which was surrounded with spikes and a carpet. I bombed the carpet and an entrance straight to womb 1 opened up. What is going on :stare:

I didn't know you could bomb the carpet. If you touch the bed, you go to sleep and regain any lost red hearts.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
In woefully disappointing news, I had a run where I got chocolate milk and technology, and they no longer seem to interact. It bumps your fire rate and changes color, i think it does a little more damage, but gone are those big fuckoff lasers that got us all so hyped up about vanilla BOI back in the day.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Being Guppy + decent damage + high rate of fire + antigravity tears + bouncing tears = anything unfortunate enough to be in the same room as your character probably died in the time it took to read this.

That build was mediocre for most of the run and then by womb 2 I was a flying death machine.

Unrelated, I experienced something odd where after the second form of Satan he just flew away and dropped the chest, skipping his third form entirely. Anybody else experienced that? That has only happened one time so far and I was playing as Eve.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

13/f/cali posted:

Unrelated, I experienced something odd where after the second form of Satan he just flew away and dropped the chest, skipping his third form entirely. Anybody else experienced that? That has only happened one time so far and I was playing as Eve.

Did you have a lot of evil or faith ups?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Holy poo poo Soy Milk fuckin owns. It gives you a machine gun of low-damage tears. You can trap pretty much any moving single target enemy and neuter them completely. It just takes ten million years to kill them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Holy poo poo, there's a Tanooki costume item

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also sick:Dark Bum. Eats red hearts and spits out spirit hearts.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just got Mama's boy legit. Sure wish I was this capable back in the original so that hadn't taken me like 2 years

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Definitely one way to beat Satan. :stare: I think my items were like...a few normal damage ups, a new eye item that gives you megatears at short range, playing Cain, Polythemus and a handful of devil damage ups along with the brimstone baby. Oh yeah, and shield tears so nothing could hit me!

e; Also not sure what I picked up, but I could walk through any and all rocks and instantly break them, which was neat!

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 5, 2014

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Zeratanis posted:

e; Also not sure what I picked up, but I could walk through any and all rocks and instantly break them, which was neat!

Leo, one of the zodiac symbols.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I dunno what item is doing it but whenever I stand perfectly still I become invincible.

Its the gnawed leaf. I figured out what it does!

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 5, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

I just got Mama's boy legit. Sure wish I was this capable back in the original so that hadn't taken me like 2 years

High five, Mama's Boy buddy. Just got it on the PS4 version during a surprisingly solid Maggy run. Had the Bible with poison + concussive + tooth shots.

Monstro's Lung might be my favorite new item. Had that + toxic splash damage on a previous run. Couldn't beat Satan with it since my health was too low, but it was incredibly fun.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Rebirth is cool

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they switched to pixel graphics so that things didn't look as ridiculous when it upscaled massively, and it allowed them to put in a lot of cool tiny touches that might not have been capable with the thick-lined flash style.

It works and I love it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just got a kinda neat spacebar item called flush that seems to drop poop on every enemy in the room, killing them instantly. Forgot I had it and only used it once on some flies, so not sure how it interacts with tougher enemies.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Curse of darkness is literally that

But gently caress this new 'curse of the unknown.' It's almost like the WoL curse of darkness, except you can't afford to be lazy and not do the mental card counting that's expected. And even with that counting there's still uncertainty involved - you got hit at some point but was it a full heart's damage or a half heart?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Did they change the way the barred rooms work? I thought they opened when you had full health, but I have full health and it's not opening.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Just had a run where I got the pill bottle and it gave me nothing but cards every time I used it. :psyduck:

Also had one where I got the book of rev plus the habit and a battery trinket on Azazel, sometimes you just have to go with a classic.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

Did they change the way the barred rooms work? I thought they opened when you had full health, but I have full health and it's not opening.

Some of them only open when you have 1 health.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I'm loving the anti-gravity tears. I can't wait to see how they synergise with some other items. Also there is an item you can get from the shop that looks like a toaster. It's infinite use and when you activate it it makes the rock breaking sound effect. Does anyone know what it does?

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Ghost Head posted:

I'm loving the anti-gravity tears. I can't wait to see how they synergise with some other items. Also there is an item you can get from the shop that looks like a toaster. It's infinite use and when you activate it it makes the rock breaking sound effect. Does anyone know what it does?

Is it a silver box with a golden paw/circle on it? It consumes one coin and does damage to all enemies in the room (very minor damage but maybe scales with tear damage?).

I had anti-grav tears with the magnet-tears and enemies were just sucked into my pools of damage. So good.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ghost Head posted:

Also there is an item you can get from the shop that looks like a toaster. It's infinite use and when you activate it it makes the rock breaking sound effect. Does anyone know what it does?
It's called Magic Fingers. On use it deducts a penny to do damage to everything in the room.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ghost Head posted:

Hurts all enemies for the cost of a coin, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Well since I was so thoroughly beaten, Dingle for hardest new boss 2014. He just moves so fast, it's like fighting Gurdy Jr. and the duke of flies at the same time

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

the pay to win item does a little damage to everyone in the room but you can spam it for every cent you have, basically if you have 99 cents you can literally just pay to win most hordes of enemies.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Well since I was so thoroughly beaten, Dingle for hardest new boss 2014. He just moves so fast, it's like fighting Gurdy Jr. and the duke of flies at the same time

The thing about Dingle is that he extremely telegraphs all of his attacks. The whistle means he's gonna summon guys then shoot a 3-shot, the frown means he's gonna dash towards you three times then get exhausted for a minute and I can't remember the last face but it means just the 3-shot.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Nah Dingle is really easy. He telegraphs his attacks unlike every other boss. Different faces indicate different attacks and his charge is always done 3 times followed up by him being worn out. The only issue I have is when he decides to just summon drips constantly because they make avoiding his charge slightly more hazardous.

I vote for the Gurlings or whatever they're called as hardest early-game boss. No telegraphs for anything and not even an animation for summoning flies. They seem like they were made in a day to fill a boss quota.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I loving hate dingle all the same, his charge attack may as well be teleportation directly on top of you regardless of the one or two frames of telegraph he gets.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks all. I only had it for a few empty rooms and then ditched it for something. Dingle isn't that hard. That Gates of Hell thing or whatever it's called it an absolute rear end in a top hat though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Logan 5 posted:

Well after 7 reloads in an attempt to salvage this Solar System run it FINALLY worked and let me clear that one room that kept crashing.

1st try :smugdog:

Where does the item appear, in the level hat you are on? I can never find it.

What are those checkered flag rooms with the single spike tile in the middle? Why do some items have no effect like the lockpicks? What is the bad gas pill? What is anything. I don't understand this game and it doesn't tell you sh*t and kinda sucks.