Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Over the coming weeks, we’re updating Office apps so that they work with Dropbox, too. With the next updates to Word, Excel and PowerPoint on iPhone, iPad and Android Phone you’ll be able to connect to your Dropbox account, so you can access, edit and share your Dropbox files right from your Office apps. Once you’ve added your Dropbox account to Word, Excel or PowerPoint, you can navigate folders and files on Dropbox for viewing and editing in the native Office apps. And accessing Word, PowerPoint and Excel from your Dropbox app is just as easy. Navigate to the file you want, and the Dropbox app will open the Office app you need.

why do they do this?

like what executive, and when, did they decide to use this style of writing? like consciously decide to buck all business communication and english conventions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
also what happens to onedrive, isn't that a direct competitor to dropbox?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

mod sassinator posted:

also what happens to onedrive, isn't that a direct competitor to dropbox?

it will still exist as an option, this is just realizing that the office apps won't gain any traction on ios/android if they're tied to onedrive

so it's a smart move from MS and serves the needs of the customer, that's why it's confusing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

LastInLine posted:

the last good piece of ms hardware was the natural elite

their new natural is swank as hell but gently caress bringing a wireless kb with detached numpad to work

the natural 4000 was horrible mushy trash

the elite had the ins/del/home/end cluster in the wrong shape.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

the elite had the ins/del/home/end cluster in the wrong shape.

was that the one without an insert button and a bigger delete key?

if so, probably a good choice, the insert button ruined more things than it helped

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

so it's a smart move from MS and serves the needs of the customer, that's why it's confusing

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

new thread title please

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i'm sure they will drop dropbox at a later date in an embrace and extend extinguish move

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Perplx posted:

i'm sure they will drop dropbox at a later date in an embrace and extend extinguish move

or they will buy dropbox and turn it into onedrive

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

qirex posted:

or they will buy dropbox and turn it into onedrive

it's this, every OS has it's own dropbox equivalent now, it's not long for this world

i only use it because it's the easiest way to upload a file and share a link with someone at this point

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PleasureKevin posted:

Over the coming weeks, we’re updating Office apps so that they work with Dropbox, too. With the next updates to Word, Excel and PowerPoint on iPhone, iPad and Android Phone you’ll be able to connect to your Dropbox account, so you can access, edit and share your Dropbox files right from your Office apps. Once you’ve added your Dropbox account to Word, Excel or PowerPoint, you can navigate folders and files on Dropbox for viewing and editing in the native Office apps. And accessing Word, PowerPoint and Excel from your Dropbox app is just as easy. Navigate to the file you want, and the Dropbox app will open the Office app you need.

why do they do this?

like what executive, and when, did they decide to use this style of writing? like consciously decide to buck all business communication and english conventions?

Oh cool lets save documents on a cloud service that has a history of being hacked

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You Am I posted:

Oh cool lets save documents on a cloud service that has a history of being hacked

what does that have to do with anything? people have been saving office documents to computers for 30 years and they've all been hacked

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

You Am I posted:

they know people can and do use Dropbox regardless of security because it's convenient. so let them do it and when a few big name hacks happen CJs will be scrambling for a secure solution and then they will obviously turn to one drive.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PleasureKevin posted:

why do they do this?

MAH OXFORD COMMA :bahgawd:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Dropbox owns, only reason I will get iCloud Drive is for photos

timb release the photo app

also give me a good way to have a /funnypics/ folder

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

what does that have to do with anything? people have been saving office documents to computers for 30 years and they've all been hacked

poo poo ms office documents have been the attack vector for fifteen years

two weeks ago: http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-6352

a powerpoint slide deck might only be the second-worst thing in that .pptx file

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
microsoft gave me 130 gb of free skyonedrive space for using bing and using it on an ipad and also other things so i use that for everything

bless

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Last Chance posted:

microsoft has been making garbage since it came to be. anything good they've made has been a fluke

the Apple //e couldn't be faster than the II+ because the MicroSoft SoftCard wouldn't work with it, even though the faster design still followed the spec for the Apple II bus

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

it will still exist as an option, this is just realizing that the office apps won't gain any traction on ios/android if they're tied to onedrive

It looks like satya doesn't want business wankery to get in the way of making a good product
hosed up if true

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say a "good product" would simply support the appropriate Android Intents for opening office files from cloud apps like Dropbox. Requiring specific partnerships with other services because your mobile office suite is locked down sounds like iOS garbage, ported to Android.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yessss

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

are the black ones ipads, being used instead of surfaces?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

all of jake tapper's tweets are from twitter for ipad

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
jake tapper is a really good journalist and I feel bad for him

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hahahahaha

almost as good as when the nfl commentators called them "ipad-like devices"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

as much as that election sucked it makes me feel good that microsoft's products and marketing department continue to flail around fruitlessly. :unsmith:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

prefect posted:

hahahahaha

almost as good as when the nfl commentators called them "ipad-like devices"
Jay Cutler called them "ipad knockoffs"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Jay Cutler called them "ipad knockoffs"

that's ok because he's a quarterback knockoff

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

ipads, being used instead of surfaces
oh my god

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Where are the Surface logo cases? Microsoft fails at 101 branding again. Even CNN can do it with a mug.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

lol yes

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you know what i don't even care that your country just hosed itself again anymore. haha this owns.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MrMoo posted:

Where are the Surface logo cases? Microsoft fails at 101 branding again. Even CNN can do it with a mug.

you know its bad if you have to say "even cnn can do _____" as a favorable comparison

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol loving owned

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

i only need a laptop when travelling and at home i want a tablet for basically using as a glorified recipe display in the kitchen

so i bought a surface pro 3

i think its pretty decent

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So that's why you bought a product that is neither a good laptop nor a competent tablet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I was impressed to see the Microsoft person on the Harlem line train I regularly see has replaced his craptop again, last time it was a Surface and now he is on a Lenovo so he can actually use it as a laptop.

• Locked thread