Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Motherfucker posted:

I loving hate dingle all the same, his charge attack may as well be teleportation directly on top of you regardless of the one or two frames of telegraph he gets.

I thought this to be so, because I was fighting him with Maggie whose speed is so bad that dodging it was hard if not impossible. The trick I discovered was to just not shoot him while he's charging. The physics are still hosed so smacking someone with a bullet mid-charge will still cause you to knock them forward somehow which makes dodging frustrating

tear discipline is required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It feels strange that Nintendo said no to this game, yet there's like a thousand goddamn Mario references and Zelda callbacks anyway. One of the items is just the straight up Mario 1 boxart

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Where does the item appear, in the level hat you are on? I can never find it.

What are those checkered flag rooms with the single spike tile in the middle? Why do some items have no effect like the lockpicks? What is the bad gas pill? What is anything. I don't understand this game and it doesn't tell you sh*t and kinda sucks.

Aww, do you need your hand held before you throw your toy across the room?

This is exactly what Edward McMillan wants, he hates the actual wiki of the game, because he wants to player to discover things and not know what things are or what they do.

In any case, that level is the Womb, you unlock it after beating Mom for the first time and visit it as level seven and eight. The spike room gives you chests depending on how many times you've walked over the spike. They're poo poo, the curse rooms (ones with the spikey doorways) are much more rewarding.

Most likely the lockpick has a chance to not use a key when you unlock something, I've only found it the once, didn't get to use it. Bad gas pill emits a cloud that hurts and poisons nearby enemies. It's not very good.

Just keep playing and enjoying yourself, this remake is making me want to put 200 hours into the game, the same I did for the previous one! Maybe I'll 100% it too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

What are those checkered flag rooms with the single spike tile in the middle? Why do some items have no effect like the lockpicks? What is the bad gas pill? What is anything. I don't understand this game and it doesn't tell you sh*t and kinda sucks.

Check the item explanation thing that is on the main menu.

Single Spike and a weird symbol? Think about this game and it's influences the answer will become clear. Have you tried killing yourself, you dumb baby?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It feels strange that Nintendo said no to this game, yet there's like a thousand goddamn Mario references and Zelda callbacks anyway. One of the items is just the straight up Mario 1 boxart

Why doesn't Nintendo want my poop sifting abortion game. D:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So, I'm pretty sure that the damage new Pinking Shears does is derived from your shot damage, because I got polyphemus and. uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSjrpcOckLo

I did also have bff which probably buffs it but that's a little ludicrous

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Crosspeice posted:

Most likely the lockpick has a chance to not use a key when you unlock something, I've only found it the once, didn't get to use it.
The lockpick trinket makes unlocking golden chests free. It's pretty neat.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I realized when I said kill yourself, that might have been seen as me being an rear end.

No, you should kill yourself in the room, not real life.

Your character is the big dumb baby.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

It doesn't literally appear on your floor, just in the game from that point on.

Step on the spike repeatedly to find out.

No idea what you mean by lockpicks.

Bad gas makes you fart and all the enemies point and laugh except for the choking unfortunates caught in your noxious discharge.

All is vanity and artifice, we are simply delusion-plagued apes playing at gods.

You are incorrect and also you smell like expensive "acquired-taste" cheese.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Turtlicious posted:

I realized when I said kill yourself, that might have been seen as me being an rear end.

No, you should kill yourself in the room, not real life.

Your character is the big dumb baby.

what he is trying to say in the most roundabout way possible is that those rooms with the single spikes in them occasionally grant you stuff if you hurt yourself on the spikes. Killing yourself on them will just make you die, don't do that.

i generally never humour those rooms unless I have spare heart pickups to burn because I've never ever gotten anything worth much of a poo poo from them. Also Darth Windu just hit the wiki if you're confused, gently caress what the creator thinks of it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The Tank challenge is incredibly boring

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Here's a tip for everyone having trouble with Azazel: get mutant spider and the book of belial. People talk about one-shotting bosses but this was absolutely ridiculous. The boss rush room was a joke, I actually feel guilty that I completed it so easily. You guys ever get that, where like, you get through a run but you kind of feel like you didn't earn it because the game just absolutely handed it to you? Complicated emotions

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What does Rainbow Poop do?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Check the item explanation thing that is on the main menu.

Where is that? I've been trying to find it :saddowns:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Met posted:

Heals you when you break it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Met posted:

Seems to heal you. I had 1 heart left and broke it and it healed me to full.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain posted:

Where is that? I've been trying to find it :saddowns:

Stats => Items

Oh huh, it doesn't give you the explanation anymore, that's lame.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

OK good points about Dingle, I fought him with low damage and speed and it was a little painful.

Speaking of painful here's a PSA: we all know not to use the D10 on Gemini but also don't use it on those monsters that extend their heads at you, because if you do it while all 3 are extended then you'll get more enemies than you were probably expecting.

edit: woop woop despite that I got Rune of Hagalaz on the first try!

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 5, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Also had some fun with Azazel, all you need is to find Polythemus and although your shots will take time to charge, combined with Book of Belial and I one shot every boss in the boss rush, it was hilarious. I have a seed of that if anyone wants a kickass run. (T4HP Y20K)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Little Blue Couch posted:

You guys ever get that, where like, you get through a run but you kind of feel like you didn't earn it because the game just absolutely handed it to you? Complicated emotions

I just got my 3rd Satan kill thanks to the Rescue Fly and the Tanooki Suit. Literally got hit once, stood still in the corner and watched Netflix until I heard Satan's death noises.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Do we know if the guppy exploit still works? Probably not but a guy can dream

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm liking the Decoy.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

I just had a run where I absolutely CRUSHED every boss, including Isaac in like, 3 seconds tops. Azazel + Full Attack strength + Tammy's Head is godlike.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Do we know if the guppy exploit still works? Probably not but a guy can dream

It sounded like from a friend on Twitter that the answer was no, it was fixed.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
my god what a run I just had. I picked up 9 lives just to get it into my collection fully thinking the run was just thrown away at that point. I'm down to 4 lives and half a heart going into Monstro 2 and somehow managed to beat him after what seemed like 30 hours (no tears upgrades for Eden at all), and after being at one or half a heart almost the entire game. He drops health, then my judgement card drops a health and then I find the cat's paw in the demon room. Holy gently caress. So now I'm sitting on a ton of spirit hearts and I've turned into Guppy. On top of that I picked up the spider infestation item and the Whore of Babylon a bit earlier so I'm basically just spraying horrifying poo poo all over the place. It feels good walking into a room with 8 flies and about a dozen spiders swarming around you. I went from the brink of death to beating mom's heart in that playthrough.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Chin Strap posted:

Leo, one of the zodiac symbols.

Thunder Thighs also gives you stone crushing powers, in addition to HP and a speed penalty.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

This isn't even my final form!

No, seriously, that was an AMAZING Maggie run. It started with a Spelunker's Hat and 99 bombs and just was all downhill from there. The game basically rolled over and gave up. I forget what other upgrades I ended up getting but Maggie was pretty much invincible the entire time.

I've only done three runs so far, but all three have ended successfully, including a delve into Shoel with only 4 hearts as Isaac. I'm honestly surprised it worked, but it was mostly thanks to that eternal life thing you get from the Devil.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Motherfucker posted:

the pay to win item does a little damage to everyone in the room but you can spam it for every cent you have, basically if you have 99 cents you can literally just pay to win most hordes of enemies.

Microtransactions :argh:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I can't possibly go through 850 new posts right now.

Anyways, I found out this morning that broken remote + empty bottle = infinite free instant teleports. I've played 3 hours and already no-hit basement, caves, depths and womb due to this.

I feel like a cheater

Here's a tip for everyone having trouble with Azazel: get mutant spider and the book of belial. People talk about one-shotting bosses but this was absolutely ridiculous. The boss rush room was a joke, I actually feel guilty that I completed it so easily. You guys ever get that, where like, you get through a run but you kind of feel like you didn't earn it because the game just absolutely handed it to you? Complicated emotions

My first chest gave me tammy's head with Azazel. Pretty much just a win button in itself, but I also got a ton of damage ups.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 5, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have some broken seeds?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Darth Windu posted:

People seem to be falling over themselves to be smug in response to this, and haven't really answered his first question. The person you're responding to did one of the "challenge" runs off the main menu where it sets you up with strange conditions. And he won. His reward was to have this new rune item get added to the pool of randomized item drops (and get an achievement for it) He doesn't get the rune any easier than any other item, but now it's possible to get it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone have some broken seeds?

Ooooh, Yes please. I really want to try out things like soy milk + ludovico.

Does anyone else think the balance on this game is wayyy better? I've noticed my games are extremely quick, in a good way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I bought this game having never played the original. I was surprised to beat it on my first try, but I suppose that's what happens when you play on normal and get a stupidly strong set of items. I have two questions though;

-Are those hidden rooms you need to find with bombs still in? I recall those from the videos I watched of the first game but have no clue how to locate them.
-Towards the end of my run I started teleporting randomly whenever I hit the space bar. It didn't seem to matter what item I was holding, I just kept warping around. Was the hell was going on?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Tollymain posted:

forgot to mention the item that won me my first mom victory, it's called the humbling bundle and it turns all single bomb/key/heart/coin drops into doubles :2bong:

This gave me my first Sheol win- it appeared to double treasure chests as well, and then double the items that came out of them. So much fun.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Internet Kraken posted:

-Towards the end of my run I started teleporting randomly whenever I hit the space bar. It didn't seem to matter what item I was holding, I just kept warping around. Was the hell was going on?

You picked up the Broken Remote trinket, makes you teleport whenever you use your spacebar item

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Having played for a couple of hours, this game seems way easier than the original BoI, at least on normal. It's probably fine since we have a hard mode.

Also gently caress the Cursed Eye, worst item in the game by far. :argh:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I bought this game having never played the original. I was surprised to beat it on my first try, but I suppose that's what happens when you play on normal and get a stupidly strong set of items. I have two questions though;

-Are those hidden rooms you need to find with bombs still in? I recall those from the videos I watched of the first game but have no clue how to locate them.

Hidden rooms are still in. There's items that will auto-reveal them for you, but a good couple rules of thumb: Look for areas where the secret room can be adjacent to at least two or three rooms. They seem to be more likely there. The super secret room usually can only be adjacent to one room.

It's more complex than that, but that should give you a good starting point for what to look for.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The characters get so happy when they jump its pretty funny

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Broken Cog posted:

Having played for a couple of hours, this game seems way easier than the original BoI, at least on normal. It's probably fine since we have a hard mode.

Also gently caress the Cursed Eye, worst item in the game by far. :argh:

Also, the game does get harder as you play. It has been so long since the original that I forgot about that.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I got Ludivico on an otherwise-doomed Azazel run.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, the familiar that eats hearts and transforms them in soul hearts trivialized the gently caress out of my second ever Azazel run and got me my first Mom's Heart kill. Two full rows of hearts and fear mini-Brimstone make for quite a powerful character.