Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Derek Dominoe posted:

Tbh medical marijuana is a dumb and pretty unnecessary niche. Just legalize the stuff.

Tbh progress isn't dumb and you're dumb if you think medical marijuana isn't a step in the right direction to get it legalized.

gently caress Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alaska legalized it as well.

Florida actually got a majority vote to say yes. The problem is that a vote needs at least 60% to pass a constitutional amendment....and current projection is that we hit 58%.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

chitoryu12 posted:

Alaska legalized it as well.

Florida actually got a majority vote to say yes. The problem is that a vote needs at least 60% to pass a constitutional amendment....and current projection is that we hit 58%.

I never understood the 60% rule. Why is it like that?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Because FL is back asswards.

Edit: Case in point: http://mic.com/articles/103382/this-city-arrested-a-90-year-old-good-samaritan-for-feeding-the-homeless

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 5, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
welp, washington went full retard. i still don't understand how they're going to enforce background checks on two guys buying/selling a gun to each other.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If what I heard is right, Florida passed the 60% law back in 2006.....with 58% of the vote.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

chitoryu12 posted:

If what I heard is right, Florida passed the 60% law back in 2006.....with 58% of the vote.

I just looked it up and you are correct

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mike-o posted:

welp, washington went full retard. i still don't understand how they're going to enforce background checks on two guys buying/selling a gun to each other.

Illinois has been the same way since Jan 1. State police have a website where you enter seller/purchaser details, and it comes back with a transaction number.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

chitoryu12 posted:

Jesus. I just don't understand how people can be for poo poo like literal opioids available for prescription but not loving weed. You get a scrip for some oxycontin and if you're not careful BAM addicted and poo poo. You get prescribed some weed for pain management and welp now things don't hurt so much and you don't have a crippling chemical dependency. So many morality police people out there objecting to it on christian grounds and poo poo. gently caress them.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
i'm only disappointed that full and unabated worldwide warfare wasn't on any ballot this year.

there oughta be a law...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Jesus. I just don't understand how people can be for poo poo like literal opioids available for prescription but not loving weed. You get a scrip for some oxycontin and if you're not careful BAM addicted and poo poo. You get prescribed some weed for pain management and welp now things don't hurt so much and you don't have a crippling chemical dependency. So many morality police people out there objecting to it on christian grounds and poo poo. gently caress them.

Look at loving DARE in all the schools. poo poo gets demonized to kids like they're going to turn into scrawny meth heads as soon as they drink their first high school Natural Ice. This is all brought up by adults who grew up being taught that reefer is essentially a combination of heroin and LSD and are too stubborn to learn otherwise.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My issue with FL Amendment 2 is that it shouldn't take a goddamn constitutional amendment to legalize medical MJ. But, eh, Florida (I voted for it anyways because :420:).

The only issue with most greencards is that they don't allow you to simultaneously own firearms and firearms crimes are kinda bad. I gotta choose between my CWP/guns or the herb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beach Bum posted:

My issue with FL Amendment 2 is that it shouldn't take a goddamn constitutional amendment to legalize medical MJ. But, eh, Florida (I voted for it anyways because :420:).

The only issue with most greencards is that they don't allow you to simultaneously own firearms and firearms crimes are kinda bad. I gotta choose between my CWP/guns or the herb.

Doesn't restrict your drinking, though!

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Cole posted:

I never understood the 60% rule. Why is it like that?

Because simple majorities passing constitutional amendments is dumb. Even with the 60% rule Florida has some ridiculous amendments.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Derek Dominoe posted:

Because simple majorities passing constitutional amendments is dumb. Even with the 60% rule Florida has some ridiculous amendments.

Why is this a constitutional amendment anyway? Did Florida actually put 'no weed' in their constitution? (This wouldn't surprise me.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bitcoin bastard posted:

Why is this a constitutional amendment anyway? Did Florida actually put 'no weed' in their constitution? (This wouldn't surprise me.)

Because that's the only method for state wide legislative referendum, iirc. The legislation wouldn't pass it so an amendment is the people's only other way to speak out.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Mike-o posted:

Honestly I'm a huge 2nd amendment supporter but the less guns that get into criminal hands the better. I've always been for requiring private transactions to go through an FFL because I do think it currently is a loophole to be able to sell to any old stranger (in my state at least)...sure it will take a few minutes and 25 bucks or so but what's the big deal in the long run :shobon:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

justice4trayvawn posted:

Honestly I'm a huge 2nd amendment supporter but the less guns that get into criminal hands the better. I've always been for requiring private transactions to go through an FFL because I do think it currently is a loophole to be able to sell to any old stranger (in my state at least)...sure it will take a few minutes and 25 bucks or so but what's the big deal in the long run :shobon:

But my freedoms!

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

justice4trayvawn posted:

When I lived in Spokanistan, one of the gun dealers was about to lose their license, so they were having a huge sale. As I was checking it out, I overheard on of the clerks explaining in detail what a straw man purchase was, and how to get around it. Like "I can't sell you this gun if you're just going to give it to someone, but if you give it to them for mowing your lawn or something, then it's fine." No wonder their license was yanked.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

justice4trayvawn posted:

Exactly how many criminals purchase guns legally from private individuals? As opposed to buying them from black market dealers (or people otherwise not inclined to give a poo poo about selling to criminals anyway) or stealing them?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
o cool a gun debate in the idiot thread how fitting

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I like guns but yeah gun debates are stupid, I shouldn't have said anything.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because that's the only method for state wide legislative referendum, iirc. The legislation wouldn't pass it so an amendment is the people's only other way to speak out.

Oh, I forget that every state isn't like Oregon. Here, if you get the signatures, you can put pretty much anything on the ballot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bitcoin bastard posted:

Oh, I forget that every state isn't like Oregon. Here, if you get the signatures, you can put pretty much anything on the ballot.

Yeah. I just love that the supermajority amendment didn't itself reach a 60% supermajority.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So, while sitting in the smoke pit today, I saw a young Marine walk past with a PFC chevron on one side of her collar and a Sgt chevron on the other. She was heading to the chow hall. I can only imagine the poo poo storm she walked into and how much her "friends" were laughing back wherever she came from. Poor chick.

I also had a guy ask me what a purple heart was for at the gas station the other day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LCL-Dead posted:

So, while sitting in the smoke pit today, I saw a young Marine walk past with a PFC chevron on one side of her collar and a Sgt chevron on the other. She was heading to the chow hall. I can only imagine the poo poo storm she walked into and how much her "friends" were laughing back wherever she came from. Poor chick.

How do you even manage to do that? She had to have known.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

We used to do it to each other all the time but it usually meant that the person getting hosed with left their blouse laying around somewhere, unattended, or that they fell asleep.

Our favorite was to staple peoples sleeves to the tables while they were sleeping. You'd get some pretty horrified expressions when they would wake up and not be able to move their arms.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LCL-Dead posted:

I also had a guy ask me what a purple heart was for at the gas station the other day.

Getting out of speeding tickets?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

chitoryu12 posted:

Pins fell off while she was rolling around the sack with her gently caress buddy. Wild scrabble to get presentable and pins got swapped.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Getting out of speeding tickets?

Depends on where you live. I'm still around Camp Lejeune so the police here don't give a gently caress about what awards/poo poo we have on our plates.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LCL-Dead posted:

Depends on where you live. I'm still around Camp Lejeune so the police here don't give a gently caress about what awards/poo poo we have on our plates.

Then why get them?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Then why get them?

I moved home when I got out. New job brought me back.

I also get free registration in NC with them, just pay the $22 tax.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Stultus Maximus posted:

Then why get them?

People do travel outside of the area they live from time to time you basement dwelling hermit motherfucker

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Lazy Reservist posted:

When I lived in Spokanistan, one of the gun dealers was about to lose their license, so they were having a huge sale. As I was checking it out, I overheard on of the clerks explaining in detail what a straw man purchase was, and how to get around it. Like "I can't sell you this gun if you're just going to give it to someone, but if you give it to them for mowing your lawn or something, then it's fine." No wonder their license was yanked.

The General Store? Sucks they lost their license, because they had a loving *massive* selection of new'n'used.

I can see their staff being retarded and doing poo poo like that, though.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

LCL-Dead posted:

paint a set of chevrons pink and put them on a random unattended blouse

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LCL-Dead posted:

I moved home when I got out. New job brought me back.

I also get free registration in NC with them, just pay the $22 tax.

you work on base? you one of those guys?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

you work on base? you one of those guys?

I work on base but I'm not a contractor.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

LCL-Dead posted:

I work on base but I'm not a contractor.

Please please please be a gate guard

or range control

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

Please please please be a gate guard

or range control

Nope and nope. I'm a GS-11, those poor bastards are 4's to 7's. Though I wouldn't mind working for Range Control as a Viper. Skatest loving job out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What is a viper / what is skatest