Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The idea of an engineer FaN jumping terrifies me.

That's a weapon idea I've had since forever, but not for jumping. A shotgun that deals almost no damage but pushes people around like the FaN, the point is to hide nearby and use it to push people into your sentry gun's range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Or push them off cliffs!

*baboomf* ...*thudsplat* Cream gravy! :haw:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'd be totally down for laser sentries with longer range but no rockets or pushback. I mean the mini-sentry shows how hard it is to find a fine balance around such a core feature of the game, and I know they've tried replacing the teleporter and dispenser with little success, but I want something new to have new stats.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
Oh god all these spooky ghost cosmetics following me :gonk:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pickle dicker posted:

Oh god all these spooky ghost cosmetics following me :gonk:

Hahaha, is that what that is? I thought I was being tailed by the world's greatest dodging Spy.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
The cart doesn't poo poo out health and ammo now :catstare:

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

CoolCab posted:

Hahaha, is that what that is? I thought I was being tailed by the world's greatest dodging Spy.

I stepped out into enemy fire thinking there was a medic running behind, healing me. It was just a pile of medic misc items :saddowns:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So the new strangifiers don't actually have chemistry sets? They only drop from crates?

Edit - Oh, what's the way to search through strangifier ingredients on the market now? I seem to remember something like "strange pain train" would also bring up all the strangifiers with that as an ingredient - was that changed recently?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 5, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pickle dicker posted:

The next UGC map this season is upward so they better fix that poo poo

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pickle dicker posted:

Weirdest thing is sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. Of course, I'm one of those lovely Hu-Long Heavies that parks my rear end on the cart so this is really hampering my playstyle :v:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
The Headless Horseshoes and the Babyface Blaster synergize amazingly, you get footprints that stretch out an incredible distance. Kind of a tell, though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I was playing Loch n Targe demo last night and nailed this one guy using a Tide Turner and then took his head off with my Eyelander. Dude starts calling out bullshit on the kill to which I respond "You lost your right to complain the moment you started using the Turner."

That was enough to send him into a flying rage about how I had no right to talk poo poo when I was using the Loch and turn scripts on the Targe (I wasn't). Cue me hunting him down every single time, killing him and taunting after every kill to which he started getting angrier and angrier after each taunt until he finally quit the server complaining about "demos using crutch weapons like the Loch."

It didn't help that when I nailed him the first time I took all 35 of his Eyelander heads :v:
Pubbies are so suspectible to anger :allears:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

so I know it's early in the week, but if anyone feels like hosting a Goon-run halloween achievement server this weekend, please post it here. I was lucky enough to get into a (mostly) co-operative Valve server where everyone was focusing on killing Merasmus, and we got him to L14, but eventually people would leave and a new moron would come join and kill everybody.

Do you only get the credit for killing him if you're pretty much standing on top of him, or how does that work?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xander77 posted:

So the new strangifiers don't actually have chemistry sets? They only drop from crates?

Edit - Oh, what's the way to search through strangifier ingredients on the market now? I seem to remember something like "strange pain train" would also bring up all the strangifiers with that as an ingredient - was that changed recently?

There's a check box to toggle whether it searches through item descriptions in addition to their names. Just make sure it's turned off.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Yeah every time I kill someone they have two bodies. One that goes ragdoll and one that keeps running. It messes me up. Anyone else getting this?
Pretty sure they just accidentally gave the new spy effect to everyone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sarcastx posted:

so I know it's early in the week, but if anyone feels like hosting a Goon-run halloween achievement server this weekend, please post it here. I was lucky enough to get into a (mostly) co-operative Valve server where everyone was focusing on killing Merasmus, and we got him to L14, but eventually people would leave and a new moron would come join and kill everybody.

Do you only get the credit for killing him if you're pretty much standing on top of him, or how does that work?
I think with the three bosses you have to be one of the last 3 players to deal damage if you want the achievement.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Oh my gosh are they releasing the Alive Ringer

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I've got, uh, wow, twenty five times as many hours as Demo then Soldier. I don't understand how Soldiers do it. I get four booms, and they're all worse. Jumping is cheaper, but then you only get three booms. I'm constantly switching to my secondary expecting more booms :saddowns:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Conversely I find Solider insanely easier than Demo. I just feel more in control and that I can react quicker with the rocket launcher

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

sarcastx posted:

I'm on the west coast US so this may or may not be a good server for you, but I eventually got my Merasmus-killing achievement on this community server: 192.187.99.106:27016

They're named "Micsnobs" though they didn't seem to have any problem with people using text chat or no chat at all. They've got a message that pops up on-screen asking you not to attack players who are fighting Merasmus, and... that seemed to be enough. Without any cajoling or hassle, we beat the first three levels of Merasmus easy.

(When I returned to the server at a later time, an Admin was on, and I saw part of why people were so compliant: I absentmindedly shot at a medic during the boss fight, and the admin toggled some sort of nerf plugin on me -- I was only doing 1/4 damage or some poo poo, except to Merasmus, even when Merasmus wasn't around. I hung around to help with the boss fighting (we made it to level 10 before I left), clear my name of the wrongdoing, and between rounds I dominated a hunstman sniper even while I was nerfed. :getin: )

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Scyantific posted:

I was playing Loch n Targe demo last night and nailed this one guy using a Tide Turner and then took his head off with my Eyelander. Dude starts calling out bullshit on the kill to which I respond "You lost your right to complain the moment you started using the Turner."

That was enough to send him into a flying rage about how I had no right to talk poo poo when I was using the Loch and turn scripts on the Targe (I wasn't). Cue me hunting him down every single time, killing him and taunting after every kill to which he started getting angrier and angrier after each taunt until he finally quit the server complaining about "demos using crutch weapons like the Loch."

It didn't help that when I nailed him the first time I took all 35 of his Eyelander heads :v:
Pubbies are so suspectible to anger :allears:
I want to see inside the mind of a person who can think a weapon with half the clip size is a crutch weapon. I mean, I love the LnL, but come on.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I want to see inside the mind of a person who can think a weapon with half the clip size is a crutch weapon. I mean, I love the LnL, but come on.
Eh, I could see a case for it. It is way easier to hit someone with a faster projectile. I mean, it was pretty universally agreed that the old Liberty Launcher (faster projectile, smaller clip, same damage as stock) was a crutch weapon. With the LnL, the shatters-harmlessly-on-walls effect works against the "crutch" label, but it's not on the opposite side of the globe.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The only thing that sucks about demos with the LnL is that they'll get lucky panic shots off on you when you're a Scout whos flanked them. Getting one shotted by a wildly flailing Demo always sucks

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Ditocoaf posted:

Eh, I could see a case for it. It is way easier to hit someone with a faster projectile. I mean, it was pretty universally agreed that the old Liberty Launcher (faster projectile, smaller clip, same damage as stock) was a crutch weapon. With the LnL, the shatters-harmlessly-on-walls effect works against the "crutch" label, but it's not on the opposite side of the globe.

You're overthinking it.

Crutch weapon == any weapon that kills me if I'm not using that same weapon at the same time

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Laputanmachine posted:

Crutch weapon == any weapon that kills me if I'm not using that same weapon at the same time
Crutch weapon == "How dare you play differently than I do! (and not worse than me)"

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Stock is OP and a crutch.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
It is a crutch. It fires easier to aim projectiles and one shot's the demo's hard counter at the cost of reducing your overall damage output.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The only thing that sucks about demos with the LnL is that they'll get lucky panic shots off on you when you're a Scout whos flanked them. Getting one shotted by a wildly flailing Demo always sucks
Yeah it could matter a lot against 125 health classes, but against another demo they don't have much to complain about.

Get good, Scoot.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Crutch doesn't mean "good at some things in exchange for being worse at other things". That's literally every weapon in the game. A crutch is something that makes it easier for new/bad players while giving no benefit to skilled players.

The loch's upsides are still upsides when it's used by a skilled player (although the weapon as a whole is probably still worse than stock), so it's not a crutch.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

BillehS posted:

It is a crutch. It fires easier to aim projectiles and one shot's the demo's hard counter at the cost of reducing your overall damage output.

It...oneshots Pyros...sorta? Scouts are not the hard counter to Demo, put stickies between you and the Scout, hit the Scout, hit grenades. Scouts only hard counter you when they catch you dry, but then most classes are.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I just realized -- usually, "on wearer" attributes are those that apply when the weapon is equipped -- even if you've swapped to another weapon. Pain Train's bullet vulnerability, the Pocket Pistol's health buff, etc.

But the Powerjack's damage vulnerability is also described as "on wearer", even though it doesn't affect you when you don't have your melee out (right?). Shouldn't that say "while active" or "while in use"?

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
The wiki page says ' When weapon is active:'.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What is the "hard counter" to demo

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Bullets.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Getting all up in his face. Unless he's a Demoknight!

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Demo

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

pyro. they can airblast em about to where they want and shotgun them if demoknight. if standard, then get up close while flaming, close the distance with shotty, then bring out the melee

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

There isn't one. They aren't alone; only Pyro (Heavy) Sniper (Spy) and Spy (Pyro) and then some iffy ones (Heavy (Sniper) comes to mind, Scout (Engineer)...edge cases) have them. Hard counters are kind of bad design; I don't think Pyro losing almost every time to Heavy was a design goal, it's just how it plays out.

edit: it's not Pyro, you can det stickies outside their range and outdamage them. A Pyro counters you in that it forces you to play defensively though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

BillehS posted:

The one-shots are generally very unreliable and you lose out on the utility of rolling pills in case you miss. With half the clip of stock, it means if you miss both times you are screwed if you're not fast enough to swap to your stickies and open the gap. The increased self-damage also doesn't help if you're caught with your pants down at close range.

At best the LnL is a side-grade and at worst its a straight downgrade to the stock GL.

It's pretty much the reason I usually roll Targe with the LnL so I have a "get the gently caress outta dodge" card if I walk into a bad situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a better demo loadout is the targe and the stock pipe launcher. rain death on your enemies and be tanky as hell.

(please add another pipe launcher that isn't a weird gimmick and isn't pirate themed like everything for the demo is these days, gaben)

• Locked thread