Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

cyberia posted:

I don't think this person understands how lifehacks work :confuoot:

It takes courage to post a picture of yourself?
Eh, what? If that's the case then the internet sure does have a lot of brave souls on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Eh, what? If that's the case then the internet sure does have a lot of brave souls on it

For someone with anxiety or body image issues it can actually be a super big deal to post a photo online, ya. For a really long time I couldn't post an image of myself online without having a panic attack because I am literally crazy.

Lifehack: don't have brain problems!!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Society conditions people to be really critical of their own physical appearance, hth

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Pomp posted:

Society conditions people to be really critical of their own physical appearance, hth

shut it, fatass.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
NSFW link for sexy toys, but very SFLH.

http://calugonpelayo.tumblr.com/post/99692187950

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Was talking with a friend on IM and he just dropped this on me:

quote:

so whenever im at a grocery store and im not a club member i always just use local area code + 867-5309 as my phone number and without fail it works

Like yeah it takes no time/effort to just get a card yourself but if you don't feel like doing that for some reason that could be legit useful

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lol, pro-click right here!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Was talking with a friend on IM and he just dropped this on me:

Like yeah it takes no time/effort to just get a card yourself but if you don't feel like doing that for some reason that could be legit useful

Some people don't like having their purchases tracked. That group of people is pretty limited to those planning to do something illegal and those who believe there is an evil cabal that will use your toilet paper purchasing habits against you.

But I did the Jenny thing all the time because it amused me, and perhaps the cashier if any of them caught the reference.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Some people don't like having their purchases tracked. That group of people is pretty limited to those planning to do something illegal and those who believe there is an evil cabal that will use your toilet paper purchasing habits against you.

But I did the Jenny thing all the time because it amused me, and perhaps the cashier if any of them caught the reference.

Lifehack: get the club card but never fill out and send in any information. Have fun tracking the spending habits of loving nobody, Brookshire's. :smuggo:

Double lifehack: want to never see your keys again? Lose them while the only grocery club card on the ring has no information associated with it. :shepface:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Antifreeze Head posted:

there is an evil cabal that will use your toilet paper purchasing habits against you

This is actually true though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Antifreeze Head posted:

These people will still often pay with a credit card, meaning that the store still tracks their purchases but the customer receives no benefit. Bonus points if they don't sign the back of their card because "if I lose it, then someone will have my signature!"...the same signature that is printed on the bottom of most receipts.

Lifehack: You can't hide, so stop doing a lovely job of trying.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

RandomFerret posted:

This is actually true though.
It's true! Although mostly they only use it to figure out what kind of toilet paper coupons to give to you, not that they aren't trying for more.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Greatbacon posted:

It's true! Although mostly they only use it to figure out what kind of toilet paper coupons to give to you, not that they aren't trying for more.

Off topic, but do you have a link to the site where you got your avatar? I had it bookmarked on my old computer, and wanted to give a custom calendar with the photoshops there for secret santa.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cat Hatter posted:

Bonus points if they don't sign the back of their card

"See I.D."

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just tell the cashier "no" when they ask if they can have my phone number instead of making one up. Have I been lifehacking this whole time?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Depends. If you stand to save some number of dollars by saying seven numbers in a row, you're just bad with money by refusing to do so. If your store doesn't have an incentive program and a sexy cashier is asking you for your phone number, you aren't failing in life financially but you may wish to re-evaluate your actions if you have any interest in reproduction. If you don't stand to save any cash and don't want to tap that checkout rear end, then you have hacked life.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
[Your Area Code]-867-5309 typically has a store-rewards-maxed-out account because it is very frequently used, so if you don't want to be tracked, that's the number to use. Back in my supermarket days, that account had about twenty times the sales figures as the most prolific shopper in our chain.
#retailhacks

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whenever I need a ZIP code I use 90210 because it's the only one I know.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Off topic, but do you have a link to the site where you got your avatar? I had it bookmarked on my old computer, and wanted to give a custom calendar with the photoshops there for secret santa.

Not of the top of my head, try googling "Robert Downy Jr Pinup Girls"?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

If I ever need something region or state-specific, I like to use the state legislature.

If you ever need a postal code, use K1A 0A6. It's the House of Commons.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Or

Or

loving OR

Just use your own information you frickin goons????

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I use the 867-5309 thing when I get gas at Kroger (regional grocery/gas chain). They give discounts based on how often their account numbers are used.

I have my own card but the 867-5309 usually gives way more of a discount than mine.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Meowjesty posted:

Or

Or

loving OR

I remember some big twitter dude got a few thousand people to all use the same club card numbers a few years ago, and it was rather entertaining. Some grocery stores do freebies tied to the club card, like "buy 5 sandwiches, get the 6th one free" or you'd get $2 off the next purchase because someone bought diapers or some poo poo. Then the printer would usually spew out a bunch of coupons.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Meowjesty posted:

:byodame: And have you steal my identity?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Meowjesty posted:

Or

Or

loving OR

Nah I'm definitely doing this cos I moved out of the country and I can't be hosed to try all of my parents' phone numbers to save :10bux: at albertsons the next time I'm home

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Did it though? As with the teaspoon in the champagne bottle supposedly retaining the fizz (it doesn't, champagne stays fizzy for a remarkably long time anyway), it's entirely possible this is just an artefact of confirmation bias. The only way to be sure one way or the other would be to buy two identical tubs of ice cream, put them both in the freezer, one in a bag, and see if they behaved any differently.

(that being said I think the in-a-bag thing does actually work, IIRC the reason is to do with the amount of air which can get to the ice cream, but I might just be making that up)

I'm not sure if anyone ended up answering this one, but I would presume that the ice cream's softness has less to do with temperature than how it is affected by humidity. Freezer air is exceptionally dry - putting an open ice cream container in a ziploc bag would go a long way toward keeping the localised humidity from being frozen to the edges of the freezer.

[edit] it had come up several times over a dozen pages, then people go and answer it properly the very next page from here.

Forums Lifehack: never, ever post. Someone else will always have answered it better.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Nov 6, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BattleMaster posted:

10304 is mine whenever I need to put in a bogus US zip code.

#lifehack Killa Hills

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I don't know the zipcode of the tiny town I've been living in for a year and a half so I just use the one for the next town over that I grew up in. Also I don't know my address off the top of my head because I never changed my mailing address from my parents house and just pick up packages there and get free dinner. #lazyhacks

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I use a generic number for my ZIP code and I have all my mail and my packages delivered to an unnamed warehouse in the middle of nowhere, and I drive out there once a week when I go to buy supplies for my underground bunker. Soon my plans will come to fruition and I will be the sole ruler of a charred and ruined world. #supervillainhacks

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had apartments in two different cities for a time and was at a store in a third city I used to live in, and their ZIP code question completely baffled me for a few seconds.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Turfahurf posted:

I don't know the zipcode of the tiny town I've been living in for a year and a half so I just use the one for the next town over that I grew up in. Also I don't know my address off the top of my head because I never changed my mailing address from my parents house and just pick up packages there and get free dinner. #lazyhacks

How are you a functioning adult.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Meowjesty posted:

How are you a functioning adult.

By hacking life and getting free food from his folks whenever he wants his mail. Food is expensive yo

Tired of chicken? Surprise your parents or grandparents by stopping by and then clean out their fridge

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Shut up about your loving zip codes.

A legitimate life hack for toilets is indeed throwing some toilet paper in before you poop, but just because it keeps you from getting your rear end wet by preventing splashes.
#poophacker

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Non Serviam posted:

A legitimate life hack for toilets is indeed throwing some toilet paper in before you poop, but just because it keeps you from getting your rear end wet by preventing splashes.
#poophacker

What on earth are you eating that makes your poops rocket out of your rear end with such force that water splashes all the way back up?

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010

Sex Hobbit posted:

What on earth are you eating that makes your poops rocket out of your rear end with such force that water splashes all the way back up?

http://vimeo.com/85309632

Don't have any new jokes movie franchises ideas in general? Recycle ones from the 80's!

#culturehacks

(No, really.)

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Sex Hobbit posted:

What kind of bizarre toilet do you have that doesn't use gravity?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Clearly more people should adopt the German poo poo Shelf. 0% splashing guaranteed!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Non Serviam posted:

#poophacker

I prefer the boxes upon boxes of empty pickle jars I keep in my subterranean stronghold. I cannot let my valuable fecal samples find their way into the hands of my many, many enemies. #poophacks

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If your shits don't come out reminding you of The Fall Of Zeal I don't know what to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

walrusman posted:

What kind of bizarre toilet do you have that doesn't use gravity?

I have never once pooped hard enough to splash my cheeks. Are you putting your entire butt inside the bowl or what?