Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Nintendo is really loving good at making controllers I don't think will be that great but end up being my favourite of the generation, Pro Controller is no exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been giving Rodin another try and he's honestly not that bad for tag climax. He doesn't have a dodge, but he's plenty mobile with jump+kick and his stingers.

He also has some pretty interesting combos. I'm putting together a video of all of the ones I've found since you can't play training mode with him. Just need to add some subtitles. For now, here's a list.

code:
RODIN COMBOS

PP      PPK     KPPP     PKK     JP    >>P  
PPP     PKP     KPP-P    KPKK    JK    >>K
PP-P    KPP     KKPPP    KKPKK   <>P   360+P
KK      KPKP    KKPP-P           <>K   360+K
KKK     KKPP                     
        KKPKP
Pretty much every single hit of these can be charged, and when you devil trigger they're automatically charged. Has anyone else played around with Rodin enough to find any more combos? I'm actually starting to like playing as him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, you can freeze bosses with Undine too.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh my god, you can freeze bosses with Undine too.

Takes a real long time to do and generally isn't really worth the tiny bit of extra damage you can do before they break out but yeah. You can freeze basically any enemy that is not actually ice-related, with very few exceptions, including bosses. Be interested to know the full list of unfreezable enemies. I guess technically you'd have to count Sapientia and Worship as immune since you can't fight them outside the mech. I think Rodin's immune?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to keep my combo score out of the gutter on Chapter 3. That stupid snake is always out of range. :negative:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to keep my combo score out of the gutter on Chapter 3. That stupid snake is always out of range. :negative:

ABS (Always Be Shooting)

If you absolutely cannot shoot, taunt.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Internet cool-person Yoshesque has a video that might help. Granted it's for Bayonetta 1, but many of the same principles apply, taunting is just more of a factor in 2.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ManlyGrunting posted:

Internet cool-person Yoshesque has a video that might help. Granted it's for Bayonetta 1, but many of the same principles apply, taunting is just more of a factor in 2.

The same principles pretty much apply in 2, but taunting is free points if you can deal with less witch time, and it seems way more lenient with combos and less on damage in muspelheims when compared to alfheims in Bayo 1.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fedule posted:

Takes a real long time to do and generally isn't really worth the tiny bit of extra damage you can do before they break out but yeah. You can freeze basically any enemy that is not actually ice-related, with very few exceptions, including bosses. Be interested to know the full list of unfreezable enemies. I guess technically you'd have to count Sapientia and Worship as immune since you can't fight them outside the mech. I think Rodin's immune?

I'm mostly just doing it for Bewitchments and although it's not that useful due to how long it takes it's still a cool thing and like slamming bosses with whips, it's something you think they'd be immune to but it actually works. I kinda feel like there is some practical use for it in two-player, but I'd need to test that theory first.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh, and I have an extra 100k halos, and have already bought the moon of Maha-Kahla in Bayonetta 2 (as well as Selenes Light and the alts of Rakhshasha and Undine). What would you all recommend I buy next?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ManlyGrunting posted:

Oh, and I have an extra 100k halos, and have already bought the moon of Maha-Kahla in Bayonetta 2 (as well as Selenes Light and the alts of Rakhshasha and Undine). What would you all recommend I buy next?

buy all of the alt costumes as soon as you have the money for them.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

Use Kafka to keep your combo going when you're far away. My combo and time for bosses were trash up until I started using it. This technique works on pretty much all the story bosses. Also keep in mind that you can dash in the aerial fights using the jump button (but man, I still hate those fights)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm having trouble getting platinums on the mech chapter. What should I be doing, as I'm getting awful time ratings.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Mr E posted:

I'm having trouble getting platinums on the mech chapter. What should I be doing, as I'm getting awful time ratings.

Umbran Climax

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr E posted:

Use witch time to get more combo points, continue your combos by shooting things between enemies, know where certain enemies spawn. I recommend not attack the boats in the interim to Verse 2.

Temperance is a crap shoot because he's loving obnoxious to fight.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Pulley's Butterfly can be really helpful if you can spare the magic for them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Use witch time to get more combo points, continue your combos by shooting things between enemies, know where certain enemies spawn. I recommend not attack the boats in the interim to Verse 2.

Temperance is a crap shoot because he's loving obnoxious to fight.

Yeah, turns out three pure plats with the rest gold is enough to get an overall platinum, the time needed for plats is awful, I don't like Chapter 14 anymore.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought all of the costumes and have enough halos for the remaining accessories. I don't ever need to do Chapter 14 again until I get to it in Infinite Climax.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Man this Bayo 1 port isn't great!

relying on R on the gamepad for umbran spear is a real rotten deal

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I bought all of the costumes and have enough halos for the remaining accessories. I don't ever need to do Chapter 14 again until I get to it in Infinite Climax.

Same here, I don't think I'll try and plat it again unless I go crazy and decide to try and plat all of infinite once I actually get around to playing through that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ruggington posted:

Man this Bayo 1 port isn't great!

relying on R on the gamepad for umbran spear is a real rotten deal

What else isn't great about the Bayonetta 1 port? I honestly haven't played it yet. R has always been the Umbran Spear button in Bayo 1. I use the same control setup in Bayo 2.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

What else isn't great about the Bayonetta 1 port? I honestly haven't played it yet. R has always been the Umbran Spear button in Bayo 1. I use the same control setup in Bayo 2.

The frame-rate is super shaky, especially when a lot of smoke or lava particles are on screen and the colors are a little faded. Nothing as bad as the ps3 port but a good deal worse than the 360 version. You can dress up as samus and flip the visor up and down though so it's The Definitive Version

Hitting R in a fight feels way less natural than hitting the right bumper or R1, the button is huge and the way my finger rests on ZR makes it really difficult to get out a quick umbran spear, stinger, or launcher.

Also, I am not going to buy a pro controller anytime soon

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 4, 2014

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My WIi U hasn't arrived yet but the pro controller showed up today. My expectations might be super low because of the Wii's godawful classic controller, but it seems really nice. It still feels weirdly regressive compared to the Dual Shock 4, like a modernized Genesis controller, but it's the most usable console controller Nintendo's made in a very long while. I think I'm gonna be glad I have it for Bayonetta.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah on ergonomics it loses to the Dualshock 4, but it has one thing going for it. Completely insane battery life. Something like 30 hours a charge. A controller that never runs out even after all day sessions is pretty nice.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fedule posted:

Further Advice for new players: Guns 'n' Guns are also awesome because if you have them equipped to both hands and feet you'll get visual confirmation when you Dodge Offset correctly, making them great for practice when you're starting out.
What's the visual confirmation? I never noticed it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Darth TNT posted:

What's the visual confirmation? I never noticed it.

A spray of bullets going off in all directions.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Evil Eagle posted:

If you're like me and start with Bayo 2 and then try out Bayo 1, the flow just seems more slow in comparison, at least starting out on a fresh new game.

Also I'd gotten so accustomed to using the bracelet of time in 2 it was like the foundation of any strategy I had once I got it. So going back to not having it initially again feels weird.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I really wish you could do combo practice and get a combo list for Tag Climax characters. I like playing as Lumen Sage, but I'd like to see a list of what he can do.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah on ergonomics it loses to the Dualshock

This hasn't been true in any scenario since, like, the N-Gage existed.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

got to route 666 in bayo 1 and the first verse runs like dog poo poo :/

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

This hasn't been true in any scenario since, like, the N-Gage existed.

Are you one of those people that can't figure out how to hold a dualshock?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here is my biggest Bayo 2 complaint.

WHY THE gently caress ARE THERE WATER STAGES?

...Also, why couldn't you get Chick Vennera back?

EDIT:
RIP PESTO :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faw3pyoXV_Q

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 6, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Here is my biggest Bayo 2 complaint.

WHY THE gently caress ARE THERE WATER STAGES?

...Also, why couldn't you get Chick Vennera back?

EDIT:
RIP PESTO :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faw3pyoXV_Q

I don't mind the water stages at all. They're basically just areas with infinite jumping and a slightly different panther form.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mind them because they just feel like they're there and you could have the game without them. It's a relatively minor complaint, but I still feel they're rather unnecessary. That being said, there are like... three underwater areas in the whole game and they're at the start. Honestly, my real complaint is I don't feel like the boss battles are still that good for the most part. It's like... Lumen Sage and the human sized bosses in Tag Climax and that's sort of it for me on boss fights I like.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

I mind them because they just feel like they're there and you could have the game without them. It's a relatively minor complaint, but I still feel they're rather unnecessary. That being said, there are like... three underwater areas in the whole game and they're at the start. Honestly, my real complaint is I don't feel like the boss battles are still that good for the most part. It's like... Lumen Sage and the human sized bosses in Tag Climax and that's sort of it for me on boss fights I like.

I disagree, I kind of dig it. Water is a recurring theme throughout this game, it ties into the blue color scheme, it expands Bayonetta's powers in interesting ways and kind of explores the concept of "witches sink" that was barely a feature in Bayo 1. It works because it doesn't hurt the gameplay at all and enables them to have you fight squid monsters. Really, my only complaint is that there wasn't a more visually interesting water place--a coral reef or a deep sea trench would have been kind of fun. It expands the movement abilities too.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I like the boss fight that goes underwater and when you enter Witch Time you're in a dry section created by the slash of his sword. :)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Suspicious Cook posted:

I like the boss fight that goes underwater and when you enter Witch Time you're in a dry section created by the slash of his sword. :)

This I actually thought was super loving cool. There's not a lot of small stuff like that in the game, but when you witch time that poo poo and he's legit parting the water with his sword, it's the best.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

infinite jumping

Wait what?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Still playing Bayonetta 1. I've been kind of lazy and missed a few Alfheims in previous chapters. Is it worth it to go back to previous chapters to complete them?

Also, what's the best costume? I rocked Peach for awhile, it's time to mix it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Still playing Bayonetta 1. I've been kind of lazy and missed a few Alfheims in previous chapters. Is it worth it to go back to previous chapters to complete them?

Also, what's the best costume? I rocked Peach for awhile, it's time to mix it up.

I'd suggest just playing through and trying to get all the LPs, things like the whip makes some of the Alfheims much easier. On another note for Bayo 2, platinuming all of 2nd climax gets you a new accessory. Still working on platinums for 3rd climax.

• Locked thread