Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Apparently there's a multiplayer stream at 9:00 EST? I think that'll ultimately decide whether I get it near release or if I just wait for it to demo on EA Access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

Need the option to mockingly scream ZUT ALORS as a conversation-ender with every Orlesian character

There'd better be at least one Napoleon-esque "MERDE! MERDE! MERDE! MERDE! MERDE!" tantrum rant in there somewhere.

Also I was informed earlier (without a cited source, mind you, other than the guy works at Gamestop, so take that as you will) that the PC version will be frame-locked to 30 because they just can't get Frostbite to run it at 60fps like they can on the Xbone and PS4.

edit: day one DLC, 60fps pack. :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

KoB posted:

Its not Bioware's fault that people feel they need ~the perfect save~ and waste their time playing a game they dont like.

It kind of is when they trumpet importing the results of your previous game as one of the features of their new game. Mass Effect was built around playing a consistent character across three games, but Dragon Age doesn't really have that kind of strong connection between each game so the Keep was a smart way to let people take advantage of the save-importing feature.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CitrusFrog posted:

There'd better be at least one Napoleon-esque "MERDE! MERDE! MERDE! MERDE! MERDE!" tantrum rant in there somewhere.

Also I was informed earlier (without a cited source, mind you, other than the guy works at Gamestop, so take that as you will) that the PC version will be frame-locked to 30 because they just can't get Frostbite to run it at 60fps like they can on the Xbone and PS4.

The guy that works at gamestop has even less business telling people about videogames than any of us here.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CitrusFrog posted:

Holy lol at the very idea of thinking this.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

CitrusFrog posted:

Nope, the PC version isn't frame-locked, only the console versions are.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I don't know what version of the game
to buy. The jump to next gen has to be made sooner or later, but I don't want to buy a PS4 just for one game.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

HIJK posted:

I don't know what version of the game
to buy. The jump to next gen has to be made sooner or later, but I don't want to buy a PS4 just for one game.

If your PC can run it, get it on PC.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Dunban posted:

If your PC can run it, get it on PC.

That's the sad part, it can't.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CitrusFrog posted:

There is no way that's true. First of all, to state the massively obvious for anybody reading Something Awful -> Games, "the PC" isn't even a single thing you can point at. It's an abbreviation for a computer running Windows that is made up of an ever improving collection of hardware, each piece more powerful than the last, meaning that even if a computer of today can't run something at X speed, the next bunch of hardware available very soon will very likely be able to. Second, the Bone and the PS4 are both very close in architecture to a modern desktop computer, except less powerful than the average gaming PC built within the last year or so.

Basically the guy at Gamestop is a gullible idiot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Of the consoles, you have to choose really between better graphics on the PS4 or earlier DLC access on the Bone.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Then just buy the game when you finally decided to buy a console. It will still be there for you.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Shugojin posted:

Holy lol at the very idea of thinking this.

I had to suppress the urge to laugh my rear end off at the statement and tell him he was talking utter bollocks. Downplaying PC gaming must be corporate policy for Gamestop or something because he's done this before and told me completely ridiculous anti-PC, pro-console nonsense. I just thought it so entertaining I had to share with you guys.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

CitrusFrog posted:

Did he have a neckbeard? That's how we'll know if he knows what he's talking about.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Must admit I am loving the terrible French accents, if there is not a hilariously bad "Ze Anderz are coming!" moment I am going to be sad.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

There is no way that's true. First of all, to state the massively obvious for anybody reading Something Awful -> Games, "the PC" isn't even a single thing you can point at. It's an abbreviation for a computer running Windows that is made up of an ever improving collection of hardware, each piece more powerful than the last. Second, the Bone and the PS4 are both very close in architecture to a modern desktop computer, except less powerful than the average gaming PC built within the last year or so.

Basically the guy at Gamestop is a gullible idiot.

I get the distinct feeling he's spouting the party line and has absolutely no experience with PCs, and continues to talk bollocks despite him being aware of the fact I know my poo poo.

Archimago posted:

Did he have a neckbeard? That's how we'll know if he knows what he's talking about.

Not so much a neckbeard as a full one actually.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

CitrusFrog posted:

Does his uncle also work for Nintendo? And did he tell you that you can catch Mew, but you have to move the truck first?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

HIJK posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna get it on PS3 - not ideal, but getting a PS4 or Xbone is a terrible idea at the moment.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HIJK posted:

So instead of spending 450 on a next gen console, spend 250 to future proof your PC for the next 8 years.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Brony Hunter posted:

Does his uncle also work for Nintendo? And did he tell you that you can catch Mew, but you have to move the truck first?

:laffo: I would not doubt that he has in fact drank the kool aid and fallen for that poo poo himself.

edit: having watched the Vivienne trailer I'm very happy with how ridiculous the Orlesians sound.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 5, 2014

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Also, only console peasants shop at Gamestop. You, sir, are a race traitor.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

So instead of spending 450 on a next gen console, spend 250 to future proof your PC for the next 8 years.

My only computer is a MacBook Pro, how much would it cost to get into PC gaming?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

I'm loving that the accents are on the same level as 'Allo 'Allo.

"Vere iz da vallen Andraste vith ze big boobies?"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Drifter posted:

I should clarify, (spoil to protect eyes) I have a run of the mill PC because a gaming PC (and yeah I've built them in the past, so I'm not ignorant about their capabilities) isn't the interface I want and having to upgrade piecemeal isn't a process I enjoy. Keyboard and mouse isn't my bag and putting the computer together is boring and unsatisfactory. All of my PC games have chugged forward on my little Lenovo just fine and for the rest I have a 360.

I guess I'll save up for a PS4 and buy the game at half off or something.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I remembered someone complaining about Leliana not sounding french enough when DA:O came. Then it turned out that the actress was french, and that americans have certain ingrown ideas about how french and british people speak.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

My only computer is a MacBook Pro, how much would it cost to get into PC gaming?

Depends on what you want to play and if you have any peripherals (like a screen mainly) you can pilfer for use with your new PC. If you're going to make it from scratch you'll have to pay for a case, PSU, CPU, graphics card, harddrive (SSD if you can), RAM and Motherboard at the very least, not counting any extra stuff you'd want to put in there. I don't currently live in the US, so I can't really speak for any price differences, but looking all that up I'd wager you'd have to pay anywhere between 8-16 hundred depending on the amount of power you're after. Bear in mind that's all just off the top of my head and I haven't actually bothered checking any up to date prices on places like Newegg or whatever the kids are using these days. There's probably threads here on SA to ask this very same question where you can get loads better answers, I'm sure.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

HIJK posted:

I should clarify, (spoil to protect eyes) I have a run of the mill PC because a gaming PC (and yeah I've built them in the past, so I'm not ignorant about their capabilities) isn't the interface I want and having to upgrade piecemeal isn't a process I enjoy. Keyboard and mouse isn't my bag and putting the computer together is boring and unsatisfactory. All of my PC games have chugged forward on my little Lenovo just fine and for the rest I have a 360.

:getout: you race traitor.

edit: $800-$1600 is a pretty reasonable price range for building a gaming rig, all depends on how beefy you want it to be...could easily spend more than that. Definitely get an SSD, it makes a tremendous difference. Don't expect to be able to run the latest games on Ultra with an $800 rig though, and stop reading about hardware as soon as you pull the trigger because your rig will be out of date six months after you buy it.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 5, 2014

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone have combat hints/tips for Dragon Age Origins, i am getting my rear end kicked by the low level bandits in Lothering. I am only playing on normal, and even if i am constantly micromanaging my characters most of my party dies in every battle.

Mostly my PC seems to be killed almost instantly every time (i am dual wielding rogue) at the start of the battle, since the enemy archers constantly fall back. I feel i am doing something wrong.

Lothering for some reason is always the hardest part of the game for me, partly because your companion/skill choice is very limited and you don't have that many healing potions yet. Those bandits are really, really tough. I've beaten the game multiple times yet I have to resort to kiting and setting traps there. Honestly that's the only time I remember using traps at all in the game. Take a ranged character (Morrigan or Leliana), hold position for the rest of the party, place traps in the line of movement and kite them to the rest of your party. Focus fire heroes, CC if you need to and don't be afraid to use health potions (they cost nothing). Set a tactic like: Self Health <= 10% use poultice and I believe you can buy more if you need it.

I am in the super minority in that I enjoyed DA2 despite its massive flaws. The encounter design was definitely iffy but certainly challenging on Nightmare (at least until you got your second specialization). The game felt really awesome when everything was in sync and you were positioned in the right spot (as an example check any of these videos):
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/2093...dded-july-30th/

This won't be nearly as easy or fun to do without the tactics :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

marktheando posted:

I am glad that this game will have outrageous French accents, unlike a certain game with assassins in it where everyone in Paris has English accents.
"I'm Orlesian! Why do think I have this outrageous accent, you silly Inquisitor?"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HIJK posted:

You probably have ebola, too.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Archimago posted:

:getout: you race traitor.

Drifter posted:

You probably have ebola, too.

I will stab the entire party in the back and steal the Inquisitor's power for my own :unsmigghh:

HIJK fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 5, 2014

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

HIJK posted:

I will stab the entire party in the back and steal the Inquisitor's power for my own :unsmigghh:

That won't be available in the console version, plebe.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theyre just video games. Play whatever makes you happy on whatever the gently caress you want.

Just kidding, get out peasant.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vichan posted:

:(

There were fun moments to be had, though. Mentally breaking Anders almost made the whole thing worth it!

I forget, how do you do this again?

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Lothering is tough for me because it's sort of boring at this point. There's a lot of backtracking to turn in the chanter's board quests, get Sten and Leliana, and the area transitions in the tavern and the chantry. I also hate when I dont' have trap making for that one girl- I get the pixel guilt.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I forget, how do you do this again?

Doing anything but agreeing with him fullheartedly on everything.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I for one think that accent wasn't nearly French enough because the actor clearly did not start literally every sentence with "Aw haw haw" and he didn't even say "wine" at least seven times.

Also the guy wasn't wearing a beret and black and white horizontally striped shirt so yeah, definitely not French.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

But he was wearing a helmet with a built in eye patch, which is pretty jaunty.

Also, just noticed this:

fem dwarfs seem a lot less stocky than before.

I mean at this point that's not a dwarf; it's a hobbit.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

fem dwarfs seem a lot less stocky than before.
I mean at this point that's not a dwarf; it's a hobbit.

Yeah weren't dwarfs like child height in the other games? I mean they were certainly shorter than that. Weirdly jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What video is that from?

Also, yeah it does look a bit different from "same body type but without a beard" thing that Branka and a lot of Dwarf ladies had in Origins, but its not like they are adding in horns which were only hinted at before.

• Locked thread