Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

teagone posted:

Huh, that was interesting. Whoever mentioned this being like a South African variant of Short Circuit/Johnny 5 seems to be spot on.

I got more of a cyberpunk Measure of a Man vibe, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's not like District 9's basic plot was that off-the-wall crazy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Or that District 9 was nearly as good as everyone remembers. It was just good for the budget.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This is officially the least excited I have been about a Neill Blomkamp movie thus far.

It looks a lot more interesting than Elysium did.

kiimo posted:

Or that District 9 was nearly as good as everyone remembers. It was just good for the budget.

You're about a thousand percent wrong here, give or take.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

District 9 lost me in the final quarter or so when it felt like a generic action movie but to suggest that it's "bad" is just so, so very wrong.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you're going to put "bad" in quotes you're actually saying I wrote the word "bad" which I didn't.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's actually still awesome and while the ending is cool because who knows what happens - it'd be cool to revisit that world.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

If you're going to put "bad" in quotes you're actually saying I wrote the word "bad" which I didn't.

Ha ha! You've fallen into my trap, you fool, and I made you say it twice just now!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Noxville posted:

It looks a lot more interesting than Elysium did.
Nah, I thought Elysium looked pretty drat cool from its trailers and poo poo. Then I saw it and it was cool, but not one of my favorite movies of the year or anything and I haven't even really had the desire to rewatch it again since I saw it in theaters.

This doesn't even hook me in from its trailer, but I don't know, maybe I'll see it eventually and it'll surprise me.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
District 9 was mindblowing in the cinema, totally visceral, didn't know that much about it. It's a really good movie and one of the benefits of the Academy opening up the Best Picture category is that you get to see stuff like it being nominated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Elysium was so loving bad

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Elysium had all the elements to be really, really loving good. Kermode put it best - the individual parts were fine, but as a whole, it was so much less than it should have been.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chappie looks depressing as gently caress. I prefer my robots megalomaniacal

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, obviously this is a teaser trailer that I'm extrapolating from, by the issue I'm sensing is that it seems like Chappie is just the world's biggest innocent robot sweetheart. When there's an implication of "this person from a subaltern population deserves our acceptance because he's so saintly and kind", it kinda misses the point. There's that line in the trailer where Yolandi is protesting, "He's a kid!" Right. Kids are known for quite often acting like relentless little shitbirds. It doesn't mean we turn our backs on them for failing to pass a set of behavioral criteria that we don't even earnestly hold ourselves to.

What I'm trying to say here is Fruitvale Station owns.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Something terrible is going to happen to that robot and it's going to be incredibly sad.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

N3RDSTER posted:

Something terrible is going to happen to that robot and it's going to be incredibly sad.

Something like this?

http://youtu.be/ywzpo_sEeko?t=2m

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Jonny Angel posted:

What I'm trying to say here is Fruitvale Station owns.

Michael Jordan is fantastic

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BlueBayou posted:

Michael Jordan is fantastic

Too bad he got stuck in that lovely Rom Com. I can't even remember the name now.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

PaganGoatPants posted:

Too bad he got stuck in that lovely Rom Com. I can't even remember the name now.

Hes good in everything he's in. Like anna Kendrick (twilight cough)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can anybody think of a trailer in like the last five years that had butt shots in it? Male or Female, even if partially covered.

I'm pushing back on the MPAA who is being ridiculous. I'm wondering if Neighbors or some other comedy had something like that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kiimo posted:

Can anybody think of a trailer in like the last five years that had butt shots in it? Male or Female, even if partially covered.

I'm pushing back on the MPAA who is being ridiculous. I'm wondering if Neighbors or some other comedy had something like that.

What does "partially covered" mean? First thought was the Spring Breakers red band, and this is the closest it comes:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They want us to put a thong on Will Ferrell. We covered his rear end with a pillow and they still rejected it. I'm just certain I've seen some trailers recently that have revealed more rear end cheek than this, it's just the idea that he's naked that bothers them even though other trailers actually show more rear end. It's so stupid. Putting a thong on him isn't what his character would do and the director won't allow it.

This is all so dumb sorry.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

They want us to put a thong on Will Ferrell. We covered his rear end with a pillow and they still rejected it. I'm just certain I've seen some trailers recently that have revealed more rear end cheek than this, it's just the idea that he's naked that bothers them even though other trailers actually show more rear end. It's so stupid. Putting a thong on him isn't what his character would do and the director won't allow it.

This is all so dumb sorry.

The Dumb and Dumber To trailers and in fact the TV spot I keep seeing on Hulu imply that Jim Carrey's hand is pretty far up inside an old woman. If that can get on a trailer, I don't think a little manass will harm anyone.

Seriously, I cannot believe that whoever cut that trailer got away with that, and the subsequent blowing of dust off of his hand.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They want us to put a thong on Will Ferrell.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
The Furious 7 trailer has that flag girl bending alllll the way over in the tiny skirt.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Magic Mike trailer probably has butts.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

PaganGoatPants posted:

Space Jam

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

PaganGoatPants posted:

Magic Mike trailer probably has butts.

The Full Monty?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

10 Rules for Sleeping Around and Forgetting Sarah Marshall might work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yIyPDBr3zk&t=19s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOQuoq73Jv8

Also I'm not sure if I can use this but thanks for alerting me to it anyway!

kiimo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 6, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kiimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yIyPDBr3zk&t=19s

That looks pretty generically awful, but I'm really glad Michael McKean seems to be doing better after the accident.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

They want us to put a thong on Will Ferrell.

No one should ever have to say this sentence.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAgTiBrrDA

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Could it be? Could we finally be getting a good Hobbit movie after the last two shitfests?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Jackson has bragged in interviews that the "climactic" battle scene is loving 45 minutes long, so the answer is probably no.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dillbag posted:

Jackson has bragged in interviews that the "climactic" battle scene is loving 45 minutes long, so the answer is probably no.

What in the ever living gently caress? I probably wouldn't have any issues if he kept the battles atleast a little grounded and tense like they were in LOTR, instead they all look like bad God of War battles now.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 7, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Is there a dragon in this movie?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Is there a dragon in this movie?

That trailer is really putting all of its chips on the fact that anyone will give a poo poo about whatever that battle is.

They completely ignore the "cliffhanger" of the second movie, which is funny.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

kiimo posted:

Also I'm not sure if I can use this but thanks for alerting me to it anyway!

kiimo you're the resident trailer expert here: so I have a question. How did the "approved for all audiences" (not redband) trailers for Horrible Bosses 2 get away with saying the word "poo poo".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CaptainHollywood posted:

kiimo you're the resident trailer expert here: so I have a question. How did the "approved for all audiences" (not redband) trailers for Horrible Bosses 2 get away with saying the word "poo poo".

Appropriate placement. That trailer was put on Annabelle so people in the theater can hear the word poo poo because children shouldn't be in Annabelle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Is it true that the climactic battle at the end of The Two Towers was like one paragraph in the book?

• Locked thread