Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
ugh, that Eden run was going so well! Tar ball on first floor for slow trail and occasional slowing shots, was getting a good variety of drops, lucky rock make all breakables drop something, and then I got Ipecac for a ton of damage and explosions forever.

You know what Ipecac doesn't synergize with right now? Ludovico.

It loses the explosion and goes back to regular tear damage, and I'm pretty sure the contact area is down to regular tear size too, despite using the Ipecac blob. Terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kaethela posted:

It happens every time you beat Mom under a certain time limit.

Pretty sure you get unique unlocks for clearing it with individual characters, too, but unfortunately that run probably didn't count since apparently you can't get unlocks during challenge runs

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Obviously with 41 losses in a row I'm extremely bad, I'm just wondering how much is luck, and if someone could show me what good play looks like (Since I might be watching poo poo streams,) or explain what saves a run, then I'd at least win once.

I'm not the greatest player either, I watched dozens more hours than I actually played of the flash game. But now that it's on Vita I'm playing a ton.

Luck is a part of it with item drops some being more helpful to your playstyle than others. My best runs are usually when I get damage up items since I seem to fall apart during battles of attrition.
Part of it is knowing enemy patterns and when to attack / back off.
Part of it is knowing how to exploit the resources in the game, such as not taking soul hearts until after you're ready to head to the next level or knowing which walls / rocks / mushrooms to bomb for a better chance at resources.

Basically my philosophy is every time I die I need to think what I learned from that death. If you're dying 41 times but haven't learned anything then I would suggest watching some streams for a little bit to see what they do. Just don't get frustrated (like I did) when you aren't clearing the Chest and breaking the game every single run like some of them did pre-Rebirth.

Sometimes RNG is just a bitch many, many times in a row.

Kuso Meriken fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 5, 2014

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Well I just had an absolutely bonkers run. Got a shitload of just straight up +DMG items and +tears items, so I was just machine gunning things down, and I had the Devil Bum so I was constantly stocked up on full spirit hearts, and then I got triple shot... Had good shot speed, and was firing huge red tears that were occasionally teeth.

Beat Womb without getting hit even once since everything died instantly. Oh, and also had the Bible, and because I had the Goat's head, I also could go to Sheol - and beat Satan as well.

edit: didn't get Samson though, for... reasons? Even if I got the "Mama's Boy" achievement.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Kaethela posted:

It happens every time you beat Mom under a certain time limit.

Is that what the clock thing is between levels? I always fall behind the watch thing, so I have no idea what it does.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Carbon dioxide posted:

Note 2: That same folder contains dump files for crashed games. If the text files say the following:
code:
timeBeginPeriod( 1 )
Framebuffer ID: 1
Caught exception, writing minidump...
...you're most probably hosed and have to wait for the patch.

This is actually really good for me; it means all I have to do is wait for a patch and not figure out how to stuff a sound card into my laptop. :)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well that was fun. I started a game as Azazel, first item I get is something that turns my attack into a huge red circle which I can move with the fire buttons, next floor I get homing tears which made part of the circle home onto whatever was close, then everything died. The End.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Died in hardmode Utero II after entering a room with a bunch of circles, stepped on one, and it reseted the entire level except with a Curse of the Unknown and I died while I couldn't see my health. :negative:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
woot beat cursed on first try.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
I've found the trick to making the Tiny Planet not complete garbage is Coal. I highly recommend unlocking the Krampus before taking on the Head Trauma challenge - it's a night and day difference.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Is there any particular critera for getting a Champion Boss Rush after Mom? Just got one but didn't notice myself going particularly fast. Got a different item from it, look forward to finding it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just got my first Heart kill, opened the chest, skipped the end cutscene, went to start a new game and instead of a character select is was a black screen that just said "Lost" then put me right into a new game as Isaac. Is this supposed to happen.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chumppell posted:

Is there any particular critera for getting a Champion Boss Rush after Mom? Just got one but didn't notice myself going particularly fast. Got a different item from it, look forward to finding it.

Come on guys, at least browse the last page.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I am truly awful at this game. I've played a total of like 10 hours (between the old and new verisons) and I've made it to the depths maybe 4-5 times.

I tend to get destroyed by Frowning Gapers and Hosts. One day I think it's all going to click, but I'm right there with Turtlicious and his -41 kill streak. I'll have to check mine when I get home from work.

Should I just be picking up / trying everything? Should I be looking every potential item / card / etc. up on the wiki? There doesn't really appear to be any other way to know what stuff does.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Can anyone confirm having unlocked something other than The Nail (item from vanilla Isaac) from the Boss Rush? I've only done it as Azazel, because I'd rather just go do Sheol/Cathedral than it most of the time, but I'd already beaten both with him.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

RatHat posted:

Come on guys, at least browse the last page.

I know how regular boss rushes operate, I wasn't sure about the Champion version or if it was just like any standard random thing. Good on the "READ THREAD" post though!

Edit:

Read posted:

Can anyone confirm having unlocked something other than The Nail (item from vanilla Isaac) from the Boss Rush? I've only done it as Azazel, because I'd rather just go do Sheol/Cathedral than it most of the time, but I'd already beaten both with him.
I can confirm there are different unlocks for different dudes, or at least it seems so.

Chumppell fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 5, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Obviously with 41 losses in a row I'm extremely bad, I'm just wondering how much is luck, and if someone could show me what good play looks like (Since I might be watching poo poo streams,) or explain what saves a run, then I'd at least win once.

You'll get better. In the run I just did, I used a special seed to make a game where all enemies that could be champions were champion...and the only damage item I got up until the womb was the blood clot, which only affects half your tears. I still beat Satan. And then in Womb 1 I got brimstone and a dark bum and really found myself wishing I'd seen more than one devil room that run, because I had a fuckton of hearts to spend and a dark bum to make me not care about heart containers at all.

Slime fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 5, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Isaac is about manipulating all the possible advantages you can get while surviving long enough that the RNG gives you something good (or breaking the game to force it to happen, but people aren't doing that in Rebirth yet). A skilled player can dodge and shoot well, but also knows all the little tricks to abuse. At the lower end of the spectrum, just understanding how Devil/Angel deals function improves your winrate substantially (if you can execute on it).

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Read posted:

Isaac is about manipulating all the possible advantages you can get while surviving long enough that the RNG gives you something good (or breaking the game to force it to happen, but people aren't doing that in Rebirth yet). A skilled player can dodge and shoot well, but also knows all the little tricks to abuse. At the lower end of the spectrum, just understanding how Devil/Angel deals function improves your winrate substantially (if you can execute on it).

Kill beggars, don't get hit, pick up the goat's head, then sacrifice all your hearts always.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Goddamn, I cannot stand the Depths music. I understand it's supposed to be spooky and such...only there's a ding in it that sounds exactly like the buttons on my apartment's microwave. I keep hearing it and think someone's messing with the microwave.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Brimstone is, again, a beast. I sort of missed it, in WotL it was somewhat underpowered.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally finished a run despite the game not wanting me to, quad shot, 2 tear enhancing items and 2 HP ups, every pill I found was negative and the shop had nothing but poo poo.

So gently caress you game, I beat you through sheer force of will. :argh:

Now to get the 17 other endings. :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just watched my girlfriend beat it for me, getting nothing but poo poo items and stat lowering pills. She's never played BoI before.

gently caress me :(

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Shardix posted:

I've found the trick to making the Tiny Planet not complete garbage is Coal. I highly recommend unlocking the Krampus before taking on the Head Trauma challenge - it's a night and day difference.
For me, the key to Head Trauma was to shoot in unexpected directions. The pattern leaves a greater than one block gap basically directly in front of you, but it also covers the same area behind you. So when some guy's getting up in your face, you fire away from them.

While still moving away from them, of course.

In fact, the shot pattern covers such a huge area that I spent pretty much my entire successful run (second run of Head Trauma, iirc, and first successful challenge) firing in the opposite direction from enemies just to stop them from getting near in the first place. Standing in the middle of the room also lets it hit Mom at the upper and lower doors simultaneously, which adds up fast

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god guys, I just got the most ludicrously broken seed as Azazel: 0E4Y EDZM

Spoiler for the craziness: It's nothing but brimstone spam, tons of soul hearts, and pretty flies that protect you from any and all projectiles.

Have fun!

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Loot posted:

I got it on my last run where I just annihilated the Boss Rush. It helps to make your tears as large as possible to suck them in.

If at all possible, Azazel is pretty good for his starting abilities. Also while Lucky Foot no longer negates bad pills, it still increases your luck which is much better in Rebirth.

I had a crazy run after I posted that with Cain and unlocked Azazel - what's his deal? Flies and has laser breath?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I had a crazy run after I posted that with Cain and unlocked Azazel - what's his deal? Flies and has laser breath?

He also starts with evil hearts instead of normal hearts, which damage the whole room when depleted.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Does anyone know how to actually swap pickupables on the 'more pickupable room' items? I remember reading the blog and it said that it involved the map button, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Well I just had an absolutely bonkers run. Got a shitload of just straight up +DMG items and +tears items, so I was just machine gunning things down, and I had the Devil Bum so I was constantly stocked up on full spirit hearts, and then I got triple shot... Had good shot speed, and was firing huge red tears that were occasionally teeth.

Beat Womb without getting hit even once since everything died instantly. Oh, and also had the Bible, and because I had the Goat's head, I also could go to Sheol - and beat Satan as well.

edit: didn't get Samson though, for... reasons? Even if I got the "Mama's Boy" achievement.
Did you do a devil deal after you got the Mama's Boy achievement? Samson only gets unlocked after you actually end the second level.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Just ran into a glitch when fighting The Dark One. I died to him, respawned with the dead cat, and when I went back into the boss room he was stuck in the middle of the room, in the lunge-attack sprite but not actually moving. He wasn't capable of doing anything at all.

Also, I think the iron man achievements are only checking for damage on the second floor of a chapter. I just got Spelunker Boy and I definitely took damage on Caves 1 but not 2.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Goddamn, I cannot stand the Depths music. I understand it's supposed to be spooky and such...only there's a ding in it that sounds exactly like the buttons on my apartment's microwave. I keep hearing it and think someone's messing with the microwave.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. It took me way too long to figure out it was coming from the music and not actually my microwave.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Alkydere posted:

Christ, I thought I was losing it last night. My wife is sick and went to bed early and I actually managed to put the kid to sleep at a reasonable hour so I was being very careful about not waking them up.

That little chime sounds just like my phone's morning alarm and I kept pausing the drat game to go check and make sure my alarm wasn't going off. Even knowing it's just the game music I still get anxious when it plays.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The D10 is has a goddamn evil mind of its own and should never be used. Sure go ahead and turn my room of little poops into loving mask of infamys.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

The D10 is has a goddamn evil mind of its own and should never be used. Sure go ahead and turn my room of little poops into loving mask of infamys.

Make sure you don't use it during the Gemini fight. Or Larry Jr. for that matter. Seriously.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Alkydere posted:

No no, you're totally right. It sounds silly. Especially those moans in the background. I don't know why but every time I hear them go off I just chuckle at how silly sounding they are.

Turtlicious posted:

I just watched my girlfriend beat it for me, getting nothing but poo poo items and stat lowering pills. She's never played BoI before.

gently caress me :(

Turn it into a friendly competition and learn from each other!
But really. Maybe watch some skilled runners or something? Pick up some good habits and such?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
drat, Ludovico + Triple Shot(gives Ludovico two orbiting tears, pulse worm also makes it pulse to a larger size and back) + a ton of damage upgrades got me all the way through to Satan with ease, but it was a really bad combination against the goat leg part of that fight and my piddly 3 hearts couldn't last long enough.

Dezoth
Mar 26, 2010

Kgummy posted:

Does anyone know how to actually swap pickupables on the 'more pickupable room' items? I remember reading the blog and it said that it involved the map button, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

It's whatever you have drop mapped to I believe. Because I was swapping with right trigger earlier, and that's what I have drop bound to. You have to hold it down to actually drop the item too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If I buy the soundtrack where do I actually find it? Its not in my steam folder like I thought it would be.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kaethela posted:

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. It took me way too long to figure out it was coming from the music and not actually my microwave.

larchesdanrew posted:

Christ, I thought I was losing it last night. My wife is sick and went to bed early and I actually managed to put the kid to sleep at a reasonable hour so I was being very careful about not waking them up.

That little chime sounds just like my phone's morning alarm and I kept pausing the drat game to go check and make sure my alarm wasn't going off. Even knowing it's just the game music I still get anxious when it plays.

HGH posted:

No no, you're totally right. It sounds silly. Especially those moans in the background. I don't know why but every time I hear them go off I just chuckle at how silly sounding they are.

Oh, good to know it's not just me. The rest of the music, even the ambience, is fine. But the Depths "Music of the Mad Microwave" drives me up the wall because I keep twitching

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kaethela posted:

Make sure you don't use it during the Gemini fight. Or Larry Jr. for that matter. Seriously.

I suspect this is true for Pin as well, based on other things I've seen Pin do.

In other news, haha I tried the Basement-mode seed today (BASE MENT), it's pretty much "practice mode" After you beat the 2nd basement mode it jumps back to the first (though the level counter keeps going up. The first half dozen times it happens it confuses the "narrator" even.) I kept getting stronger and stronger as I went. Eventually I had too many friendly bugs spawn and I broke the game. It kept jumping to pause and not letting me unpause it. This was on level 34.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Dezoth posted:

It's whatever you have drop mapped to I believe. Because I was swapping with right trigger earlier, and that's what I have drop bound to. You have to hold it down to actually drop the item too.
It's the drop key, not the map key? That's the problem with 'buttons do multiple things'. The controls only list one of the things it does, and there's no way of knowing what else it does.

I thought it was map because I swear one of the blog posts was talking about that key and dropping. Though I'm probably misremembering.