Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
AtLA and Korra are, ultimately, western shows set in a fantasy Asian world. Honestly, everyone has a different litmus test for this sort of thing, but I don't really mind any of that stuff unless they're being actually offensive, y'know? Like, just for instance, I find people who go on about the Fire Nation being based on Japan way more objectionable than the fact that Japanese names exist alongside Chinese ones in this series.

Just to be completely spergy about it though: Sokka, Katara, Korra, and anyone else from the water tribes wouldn't have traditional Asian surnames. Someone like Aang, born into a communal religious sect, wouldn't have a family name either; he might have another (or "Aang" itself might be a) formal religious title. Toph, Asami, and even Prince Wu's families do have surnames (admittedly kind of untraditional ones, in Toph and Wu's cases) so we can assume that most families in the Earth Kingdom do as well, including Mako and Bolin's, and they just haven't been mentioned. So -- again, in complete sperginess -- the only ones who totally fail the naming scheme are the Fire Nation royals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I would kill for an HD remaster of AtLA. I'm in the middle of a series rewatch and a visual update would be great if you ask me. Korra, Season 2 aside, has fantastic animation. Can't wait for Friday, this week by week thing is killing me.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sato posted:

The artbook does go more into the bad blood between the two tribes, and the SWT's success is the main driver, but doesn't mention anything about the bolded part (thinking Unalaq was more interested in the economic stuff) at least from my quick scan. Either way, that's Unalaq taking a side and using politics to his own end, something the Avatar is not supposed to do. Interestingly, the book does mention his soldiers possibly beginning to question their leader once they see UnaVaatu, but that implies they followed him blindly from the beginning.
It's not that they believed that Unalaq was more interested in the economic stuff, they believed that Unalaq's ambition to reunite the two tribes, although for reasons that went over their head and that they didn't really care about, would bring an end to that issue.

I guess that line about the soldiers hesitating might be why Eska and Desna were the only ones of Unalaq's entourage to react when Unalaq said that he was going to fuse with Vaatu. Apparently, that too went over their head, they probably thought that as soon as Unalaq had all the crazy things he wanted, he would get back to the interesting stuff.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ImpAtom posted:

Where does Captain Planet Hitler fall on this scale?

That measures in at like 20 Hitlers. Too much Hitler.

edit: the Hitler is a unit of measurement used to describe the percentage of similarity one shares with World War II German Dictator Adolf Hitler. The standard is set by Original Timeline Adolf Hitler, who measures in at One Hecto-Hitler, or 100 Hitlers. That is, he is 100% similar to Adolf Hitler. To describe the standard Hitler sets as 'one Hitler' and the percentages as 'centi-Hitlers' can be used interchangably with the other terminology.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 5, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sato posted:

Yeah, I can see your frustration there. I don't necessarily feel authoritative or comfortable commenting in depth as I'm not Asian myself, but I think you made a good argument as to why we need more shows created by Asians and other minorities. Bryke have brought traditional Asian philosophies and beliefs (Buddhism, Taoism) to an audience that is not normally exposed to this sort of content, but as two white guys they aren't exactly the best qualified to meditate in depth on the nature of "Asianness," as you put it, so they haven't really tried. TBH I'm not sure how they'd fit it in to the show they ended up creating without it being really jarring--the characters are who they are, and while we've seen characters struggle with their culture and heritage (Aang, Katara, their kids, Sokka, Zuko) it's been within the context of the show really. I do agree there's probably an academic paper there.

Asians in Asia can't agree on what it means to be Asian. Chinese, Japanese, Koreans famously hate the poo poo out of each other and regularly downplay or deny the influence of each other on their own cultures. The identity of Asian-Americans is an extremely complicated topic, and yeah, expecting two white guys to make a sensible statement on it is a recipe for disappointment. Anime itself was basically just copying and building on Disney animation from the 30s and 40s, it doesn't really have anything to do with traditional Asian culture and there's no reason a Chinese-American whose family came here in the 1880s would have any connection to it at all

JT Jag posted:

That measures in at like 20 Hitlers. Too much Hitler.

edit: the Hitler is a unit of measurement used to describe the percentage of similarity one shares with World War II German Dictator Adolf Hitler. The standard is set by Original Timeline Adolf Hitler, who measures in at One Hecto-Hitler, or 100 Hitlers. That is, he is 100% similar to Adolf Hitler. To describe the standard Hitler sets as 'one Hitler' and the percentages as 'centi-Hitlers' can be used interchangably with the other terminology.

Where does King Bradley fall on this scale?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Where does King Bradley fall on this scale?
Some physical similarities to Adolf Hitler. Actually the leader of a fascist state. Has "Fuhrer" in his job title. 50 Hitlers.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

JT Jag posted:

Some physical similarities to Adolf Hitler. Actually the leader of a fascist state. Has "Fuhrer" in his job title. 50 Hitlers.

i drew a pencil moustache on my face. how many hitlers does that make me?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

i drew a pencil moustache on my face. how many hitlers does that make me?
Assuming no other Hitler Similarities, a pencil mustache is worth 2-5 Hitlers

It's a fake mustache though, so half a Hitler

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I'm possessed by the ghost of der Fuhrer and have begun a campaign of subjugating the weak and infirm and those unlike me, but am otherwise utterly dissimilar to Hitler physically.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CeallaSo posted:

I'm possessed by the ghost of der Fuhrer and have begun a campaign of subjugating the weak and infirm and those unlike me, but am otherwise utterly dissimilar to Hitler physically.
Ghost Hitler is worth about 75 Hitlers, along with a number of other Sub-Hitlers who are similar to but not identical to the One True Hitler (OTH), like Time Traveling Hitler

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about Clone Hitler with Hitler's Brain?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Clone Hitler with Hitler's Brain?
Probably one of the highest Hitler Coefficients short of the actual Hitler, around a 80 or so, but takes significant dings from the fact that it did not commit suicide in a bunker at the end of World War II and from the fact that it is a clone and not human-born

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

What about dog Hitler?

This is a weird derail, haha

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Okay, one more Hitler rank. This time, Super Aryan Hitler.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
That conversation between Korra and Kuvira was hilarious.

"Hey, I know you're like 99% to total victory, but can you stop the empire building thing?"
"No"
"But it's wrong"
"No"
"poo poo, I'm spent. Talking is hard."

I don't need Machiavellian level of political manuevering, but c'mon. You hardly even tried, Korra. What are you gonna tell Su?? "Oh hey, I know I said I'd go tell Kuvira to leave, but she said no. Crazy, right? By the way, have you really considered that maybe total surrender just might be the right call?"

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

blurry! posted:

That conversation between Korra and Kuvira was hilarious.

"Hey, I know you're like 99% to total victory, but can you stop the empire building thing?"
"No"
"But it's wrong"
"No"
"poo poo, I'm spent. Talking is hard."

I don't need Machiavellian level of political manuevering, but c'mon. You hardly even tried, Korra. What are you gonna tell Su?? "Oh hey, I know I said I'd go tell Kuvira to leave, but she said no. Crazy, right? By the way, have you really considered that maybe total surrender just might be the right call?"

I think this was a weak point in the writing for sure. The writers could have had Korra going back to Su with something with more purpose. Like what if Kuvira instead said, "Oh yes you're right. You know let me draw up a peace treaty proposal and you can deliver it to Su for me. If she agrees to it, we won't attack." Obviously, the terms would never work but Korra doesn't know that. She thinks Kuvira is the hero that saved her dad. Then Korra gets there and Su has left to go kill Kuvira and obviously the peace treaty won't be happening. Same overall plot, but Korra is handled better.

This coming episode I wouldn't be surprised if we actually see a fight between Korra and Su. Korra isn't convinced that Kuvira is evil at all. She doesn't know about the camps or the death beam or anything else. So Su attempting to assassinate a world leader that saved her father's life is not going to go over well with Korra. I bet Korra actually stops Su from killing Kuvira, the two fight, and Korra subdues Su. It's only after that that Korra learns that Kuvira is actually like 50 Hitlers or whatever she is on the scale.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rosalind posted:

I think this was a weak point in the writing for sure. The writers could have had Korra going back to Su with something with more purpose. Like what if Kuvira instead said, "Oh yes you're right. You know let me draw up a peace treaty proposal and you can deliver it to Su for me. If she agrees to it, we won't attack." Obviously, the terms would never work but Korra doesn't know that. She thinks Kuvira is the hero that saved her dad. Then Korra gets there and Su has left to go kill Kuvira and obviously the peace treaty won't be happening. Same overall plot, but Korra is handled better.

This coming episode I wouldn't be surprised if we actually see a fight between Korra and Su. Korra isn't convinced that Kuvira is evil at all. She doesn't know about the camps or the death beam or anything else. So Su attempting to assassinate a world leader that saved her father's life is not going to go over well with Korra. I bet Korra actually stops Su from killing Kuvira, the two fight, and Korra subdues Su. It's only after that that Korra learns that Kuvira is actually like 50 Hitlers or whatever she is on the scale.
Only a 20 or so right now, but has a strong potential of rising if she attempts any ethnic cleaning or invades anywhere outside the Earth Kingdom

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

JT Jag posted:

Only a 20 or so right now, but has a strong potential of rising if she attempts any ethnic cleaning or invades anywhere outside the Earth Kingdom

:v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Legend of Korra Book 4: Only 25 on the Grand Hitler Scale

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Wouldn't it be better to go with a chinese analog like Qin Shihuang (another great uniter) or something? I mean, it doesn't scratch the hitler itch, but...

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
How many Zhu Lis does Zhu Li weight?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Nineteen equivalent megahitlers.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Metropolis posted:

one, I would think.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

nutranurse posted:

Wouldn't it be better to go with a chinese analog like Qin Shihuang (another great uniter) or something? I mean, it doesn't scratch the hitler itch, but...

Chiang Kai-Shek is probably the closest equivalent: leader of a nationalist party, took down a bunch of warlords and reunited the country. And the time period fits.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
True, but Chaing Kai-Shek isn't anywhere near as metal as Qin Shihuang.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Metropolis posted:

I would guess about .5 Zhu lis, as there's no way in hell that Varrick didn't do the original Zhu li scale weight measurements while she wasn't still ladened down with at least half her weight again of random crap Varrick had told her to carry, probably including the typewriter she was told to write down the results with.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I would guess about .5 Zhu lis, as there's no way in hell that Varrick didn't do the original Zhu li scale weight measurements while she wasn't still ladened down with at least half her weight again of random crap Varrick had told her to carry, probably including the typewriter she was told to write down the results with.

Query: Are Zhu Lis a measure of weight/force or mass?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The entire reason it's in there is for the joke where Varrick tells Zhu Li "you could stand to lose a few Zhu Lis" when he's saving her.

Christ, can it just be tomorrow already?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

JT Jag posted:

How many Hitlers are shaved off due to the physical similarities to Joseph Stalin?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nutranurse posted:

I mean, it doesn't scratch the hitler itch, but...
Hitchler, possibly the worst kind

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
this thread is good now

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Rosalind posted:

Korra has only seen the good stuff that Kuvira has done; even Bolin, the idiot that he is, didn't pick up on the prison camps. Korra agreeing with Kuvira makes a lot of sense in the last episode, especially because of the way that Su said, "Oh just take care of this problem for us with your superpowers. Nothing ever goes wrong with that." Aang had to deal with one of those assholes in early season 2. He was only 12 and he figured out that maybe just turning on the Avatar state and seeing what happens was a super bad idea.

Honestly I think Su dropped the ball on this one. She should have argued early that Zaofu wasn't part of the Earth Kingdom, and therefore wouldn't need to be part of any future kingdom/empire, and had a long history of legitimate, peaceful, independent rule. Kuvira might have respected that before she went all nutso, and the world leaders certainly would have stood behind Su if she talked about it with them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When do new episodes usually get put up online?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

VanSandman posted:

When do new episodes usually get put up online?

Usually by noon EST. Right now the Korra page is down entirely at Nick.com

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It gets posted way earlier if you buy it on Amazon, usually at midnight which is, oh, about thirty minutes from now. Although last week it got posted at around 1:00am. Thanks Obama :mad:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

BrianWilly posted:

It gets posted way earlier if you buy it on Amazon, usually at midnight which is, oh, about thirty minutes from now. Although last week it got posted at around 1:00am. Thanks Obama :mad:

Amazon has been screwing up lately. The episode shows up, but it wants me to buy it when I've already got the entire season paid for. And then if I click on one of those buttons to buy it it pops up an error because I already own the season. Yeah, no poo poo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That just happened to me too, but it seems to be working now. What I did was switch from book 4 to 3 and back again. :v:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

BrianWilly posted:

That just happened to me too, but it seems to be working now. What I did was switch from book 4 to 3 and back again. :v:

Yeah this time when I hit the button it started playing. Guess all I needed was to do the thing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

Honestly I think Su dropped the ball on this one. She should have argued early that Zaofu wasn't part of the Earth Kingdom, and therefore wouldn't need to be part of any future kingdom/empire, and had a long history of legitimate, peaceful, independent rule. Kuvira might have respected that before she went all nutso, and the world leaders certainly would have stood behind Su if she talked about it with them.

I agree with you, in addition to the point that if Kuvira's moral cause for reuniting the Earth Kingdom was to prevent the instability and chaos from being disunity, then Zaofu already has a stable political leadership. In addition to that, Zaofu doesn't threaten Kuvira's rule. We already know reliably that Suyin wants nothing to do with the Earth Kingdom so Zaofu will never pose a threat to them. Kuvira is expending a lot of military resources to conquer Zaofu, which in turn could leave them in weakness with maintaining unity, as well as against the threat of Fire Nation/Republic City/Northern Water Tribe attack.

• Locked thread