Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Atomicated posted:

I feel like this is the kind of question thats probably come up a lot but quickly skimming the last two pages I didn't see it. If I go to sheol and die will I still get the item unlock for my third mom's heart kill or do I have to open the chest and forgo sheol?

Pretty sure you get the expected unlock right when you enter Sheol, that's what just happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Just had a loving great run for my first Mom's Heart kill, I was smart this time and wrote down the seed, to share with you all. I like to call it "Laser Death Murder". Use Azazel. You get Lil' Brimstone on the first floor, Robo Baby on the second, and things just kinda spiral from there. Don't grab the Tick (if trinket drops are controlled by seed, don't know if that's the case), there's a drat ton of trinkets.

T20V
RX9P

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Loot posted:

Was streaming to some friends, had a Lazarus run going (Went fairly smooth, too, got my Coat Hanger ending). However at one point, slight problem.

This loving room blocked me if I didn't have any bombs. What the gently caress.

I had a similar case. I was one room away from getting Dark Boy when a room that forced me to walk through spikes spawned. Oh sure there was 2 hearts in the room but gently caress that nonsense.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Magnetic Tears paired with Anti-Gravity Tears is awkward as hell.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
My only regret is that I haven't unlocked the womb yet with this incredibly broken loadout:

To summarize, that's Taurus + Gnawed Leaf + Dry Baby + Dead Bird. I can beat 90% of rooms by not doing anything. Having flight, miter, and soul converter is just gravy.

Man I just had to go step into a reroll room.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 6, 2014

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Rebirth Game-breaking glitches and fixes summary post

For those who took notice, lots and lots of people are suffering from bugs. I don't mean the ones where an item doesn't work as intended, I mean those that break the entire game. A bunch of people have been posting about it in this thread, they were completely ignored, because people were too busy having fun to notice those that were left in the dark.

As you can see in this screenshot, a lot of people have been talking about in the forums too. If I may guess, the game-breaking bugs are affecting hundreds to maybe a few thousands of users, or a few percent of the total. So be glad to realize you're not alone.

The Pinned 'Common fixes' thread was made by Adrian Gray, one of the developers from Nicalis, and incidentally the only one who reached out to the public about all the bugs. I'm glad he did so, because people suffering from the bugs seem to feel completely ignored by the devs. Those feelings are understandable when one of them makes tweets like this one.

No, Tyrone, we aren't glad. We're angry that you released a game that doesn't work at all for a significant part of your userbase.

The 'common fixes' thread was a bit weird too. The dev asked the community to come up with fixes. What's up with that?
Anyway, Adrian recently said he's doing what he can, but he can't access everything and needs the other devs there. He also said, they are working on a patch. No date/time indication yet, but at least work is being done.

So, please try to stay patient.

List of fixes:
Note: Options.ini is in C:\Users\<yourusername>\My Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirth, EVEN if you got your normal Documents folder mapped to another location.
Note 2: That same folder contains dump files for crashed games. If the text files say the following:
code:
timeBeginPeriod( 1 )
Framebuffer ID: 1
Caught exception, writing minidump...
...you're most probably hosed and have to wait for the patch. If it says anything else, you might be able to figure out what's the problem in your case.

If your game doesn't boot at all, Steam acts like you're in the game for 5 seconds, then nothing happens
  • This can sometimes be caused by your virus scanner. Make sure to whitelist the .exe and reinstall the game.
  • Another common cause is a problem with either audio or video drivers. Try removing a second monitor, or plugging in headphones and see if that fixes it.
  • Some drivers don't recognize Isaac as a game. For instance, if you use NVIDIA, you may need to change something in the NVIDIA control panel that forces it to use the NVIDIA GPU at all times. Or manually add the isaac-ng.exe to high power mode on AMD cards.
  • Try setting all your audio and video settings to 'normal'. For instance, having your speakers turned off in Windows may crash the game in some cases.
  • Some people managed to fix the problem by updating their drivers, usually by going to their graphic card's manufacturer website (you can find out about your graphic card in Windows by going to Device Manager and checking what's under 'Screen Adapters') and downloading an automatic driver detection and updating tool. However, this does not always seem to work with embedded cards in laptops and the like.
  • For the latter group, there's as of yet no fix. You'll have to wait until the patch, just like me.

If you get a message "isaac-ng has stopped working".
  • Try deleting Options.ini and restart
  • Try reinstalling the game
If you get a black screen after the intro
  • Open Options.ini and change MaxRenderScale=0 to 2
If you got keyboard/controller errors
  • Open Options.ini and change ControllerHotplug=1 to 0 (or try changing it to 2 for co-op play)
  • Or try disconnecting and reconnecting your keyboard/controller.
If the game runs slow
  • Try switching between windowed/full screen mode.
  • Open Options.ini and change VSYNC=1 to 0
  • Open Options.ini and change MaxRenderScale to 1
If big rooms make you motion sick
  • Open Options.ini and change CameraStyle=1 to 2

These fixes are mostly from the 'common fixes' thread in steam. Do you have any other way to fix problems? Send me a PM, as I won't be able to read every post in this thread. I will update THIS post, so if you're experiencing issues, you might want to store a permalink to this post.

Console supremacy once again.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Atomicated posted:

I feel like this is the kind of question thats probably come up a lot but quickly skimming the last two pages I didn't see it. If I go to sheol and die will I still get the item unlock for my third mom's heart kill or do I have to open the chest and forgo sheol?

You get the unlock and the Eden token. I just found this out the hard way after Satan kicked my rear end.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
Is anyone else getting "Unknown error occurred" when they try to sync their save over PSN? I get it on both my PS4 and my vita.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Man I have yet to have a good Eden start. The run I just started I have 1 in every stat except for 2 damage, and one empty red heart and two soul hearts. And for items...Shears and a mushroom(probably odd). They've all been like this.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So uhhh if you get Bob's rotten head and the flat worm trinket the bob bomb stretches infinitely when you throw it :catstare:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I'm really glad I got this game for free, because I never would have tried it otherwise and I would've been unhappy paying for such a game, but it is pretty engaging.

Items should absolutely tell you what they do at least AFTER the game, and there are a lot of elements that could be clearer, like the controls especially. I only just discovered that L trigger does something: it activates SOME but not ALL items. So stupid. A game like this will never find a wide audience, nor should it, but for old roguelike vets like myself it definitely scratches an itch.

What the gently caress did that goat head do, aside from look baller as hell, seriously. No game should be so obtuse in the year of our lord 2014.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The goat head gives you a devil room on every single floor from there on out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm really amused at how angry people are getting at not being told absolutely everything about a game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

To the people complaining about this game being obtuse:

Color Printer posted:

Yes, welcome to Binding of Isaac

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

I'm really glad I got this game for free, because I never would have tried it otherwise and I would've been unhappy paying for such a game, but it is pretty engaging.

Items should absolutely tell you what they do at least AFTER the game, and there are a lot of elements that could be clearer, like the controls especially. I only just discovered that L trigger does something: it activates SOME but not ALL items. So stupid. A game like this will never find a wide audience, nor should it, but for old roguelike vets like myself it definitely scratches an itch.

What the gently caress did that goat head do, aside from look baller as hell, seriously. No game should be so obtuse in the year of our lord 2014.

The entire game is basically figuring out what items do, enemy patterns, room patterns etc. It's kind of the core concept.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Darth Windu posted:

Items should absolutely tell you what they do at least AFTER the game, and there are a lot of elements that could be clearer, like the controls especially. I only just discovered that L trigger does something: it activates SOME but not ALL items. So stupid.

You're an idiot for not checking the controls, it is in no way the game's fault, hope this helps

Darth Windu posted:

A game like this will never find a wide audience, nor should it, but for old roguelike vets like myself it definitely scratches an itch.

"old roguelike vets like myself who need everything explained to them as is usually the case in roguelikes"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 6, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, there are levels after you kill mom's foot.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Darth Windu posted:

:what:

If you're an old roguelike vet then how is this game's degree of obtuseness bothersome?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Turtlicious posted:

Oh man, there are levels after you kill mom's foot.

There are many levels after that. Killing Mom the first time is the tip of the iceberg.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Good roguelikes like Dungeon Crawl are still modern games. Call me an idiot all you like but you're the one making yourself look foolish.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoness posted:

:what:

If you're an old roguelike vet then how is this game's degree of obtuseness bothersome?

If you played DCSS at version .10 you could be a roguelike vet, since that was like 5+ years ago, modern roguelikes are now getting old enough that the de-obfuscation of mechanics has become synonymous with the genre.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Darth Windu posted:

A game like this will never find a wide audience, nor should it.

It's the #1 Top-Selling game on Steam right now, and it's also the #1 non-Valve game being played on Steam right now as well. The only reason this game you're playing even exists is because the first game found a pretty wide audience.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Guys, don't bother replying to Darth Windu, he's a gimmick with bad videogame opinions. Dude keeps pretending to like Dragon Age 2 in the Inquisition thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Windu posted:

Good roguelikes like Dungeon Crawl are still modern games. Call me an idiot all you like but you're the one making yourself look foolish.

legit nobody cares about your weirdo rant

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

A game like this will never find a wide audience, nor should it

Did you miss the part where this is a remake? A remake of a game that became so popular it surprised the creator because it was supposed to be some dumb stupid project

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

You are supposed to play the game with the item description wiki open in the background anyway.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the guy is millionaire and he never intended to be, his game is just that good, (He also may have struck a deal with the devil.)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BoI thread getting Gowby'd :allears:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Guys, don't bother replying to Darth Windu, he's a gimmick with bad videogame opinions. Dude keeps pretending to like Dragon Age 2 in the Inquisition thread.

Nothing wrong with liking Dragon Age 2, unless he's also claiming that it's not a bad game.

Also half his post is about how obtuse the controls are despite the important ones being written in the ground on the starting room and being able to access the full list in the menu. If there's one thing in BoI that isn't obtuse it's the controls.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah the guy is millionaire and he never intended to be, his game is just that good, (He also may have struck a deal with the devil.)

How many hearts did it cost him though?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoness posted:

How many hearts did it cost him though?

I'd rather not think about it, but it's the perfect skynyrd box.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So in the first Binding Of Isaac I struggled for months to get Dark Boy. Tonight, in 10 hours of playing this game, I no-hit the Depths with loving Eve. I didn't even know I pulled that off. I don't think I even had anything great, certainly not the one-hit protection shield, not the awesome shield shots, or any orbitals. Just a lot of luck apparently. Took me by surprise, and it's good that it's out of the way already.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Zeron posted:

Also half his post is about how obtuse the controls are despite the important ones being written in the ground on the starting room

Admittedly I don't think they are in this game. If they are they've never shown up for me, only the Isaac doodles but never the actual control icons. It's bizarre.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I know I've seen them in the caves at least. Also I really wish double/triple/quad shot stacked in some small way because it's really annoying having one of your items rendered useless.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Couple special seeds I don't think have been posted yet, spoiler'ing just in case.

PTCH BLCK - Turns Isaac and his tears pitch black.

DRAW KCAB - Inverts movement and firing controls.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Uhh, new Utero boss, Mama Gurdy.

She spawns spikes on the floor and I can't tell where they'll spawn so I'll just, get hit. I had a pretty good run going and I was just immediately wrecked.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I get that the whole point of this game is discovering stuff on your own, but why can't I get some kind of description of what items do after I get them logged in the book? This is mainly about trinkets since I have no idea what most of them do. I pick them up and try to see any obvious effects but for a lot of them nothing appears to happen. And since a bunch of them are RNG related I can run through the game without the trinket doing anything and I don't know if its because I'm using it wrong or the RNG is just loving with me.

Just seems weird to have a big book of items that is completely worthless since it gives no description.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Do achievements and unlocks happen during challenges?

Edit: Also man, having really high speed just murders you in the bullet hell bosses. Just too slippery!

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 6, 2014

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I get that the whole point of this game is discovering stuff on your own, but why can't I get some kind of description of what items do after I get them logged in the book? This is mainly about trinkets since I have no idea what most of them do. I pick them up and try to see any obvious effects but for a lot of them nothing appears to happen. And since a bunch of them are RNG related I can run through the game without the trinket doing anything and I don't know if its because I'm using it wrong or the RNG is just loving with me.

Just seems weird to have a big book of items that is completely worthless since it gives no description.

Wait a week or two for the wiki to be filled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Color Printer posted:

Admittedly I don't think they are in this game. If they are they've never shown up for me, only the Isaac doodles but never the actual control icons. It's bizarre.

Same for me. The doodles are there, but there are no controls on them.

Also, woo! Got my first non-killdozer victory against Mom's Heart! First time I ran into the heart the fight ended in less than five seconds. :v: