Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Seems like the past few pages have been positive? Has MPQ turned a corner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
Joined Goonery as psivamp

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I'm genuinely excited about the upcoming "pick-your-own-event-endtime" feature. It's gonna be the biggest thing since cover respec.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I'm genuinely excited about the upcoming "pick-your-own-event-endtime" feature. It's gonna be the biggest thing since cover respec.

Hmm, I'm apprehensive about this though it would be nice to see the poor old worlders be able to participate without setting their alarms.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tezzeract posted:

Gameplay is still the same, very much pay2win. Character dilution is a big negative in my eyes to be honest, but the opening of the alliances for free to 20 people is a nice move. There's this guy Teddybabes though that started what he wanted to be an elite alliance and dropped like 100 real dollars to be the only commander and he's so pissed off right now it's downright hilarious.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

skipdogg posted:

Gameplay is still the same, very much pay2win. Character dilution is a big negative in my eyes to be honest, but the opening of the alliances for free to 20 people is a nice move. There's this guy Teddybabes though that started what he wanted to be an elite alliance and dropped like 100 real dollars to be the only commander and he's so pissed off right now it's downright hilarious.

Thats what my commander did but months ago so it technically paid off. Also he doesn't play any more and handed the reins off to me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tezzeract posted:

The game is still horrible garbage but it's not like I'm going to stop needing to poop any time soon so

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Syrinxx posted:

The game is still horrible garbage but it's not like I'm going to stop needing to poop any time soon so
- a direct quote from the D3Publisher CEO

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Tezzeract posted:

I think it's mostly people trying to shuffle alliances around now that everyone can get 20 slots.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Joined Goonery as MLShetland. So nice to have more slots!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Joined Goonery as LesParke (my old name). Haven't played for a bit since they brought in Team Ups, but looking to get back in to the game recently.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sorry, I haven't been on all day. Goonery is full.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

A smidgen of points away from 50 more HP, but in order to get it I either need to beat 229 Marvel/Marvel/Storm with a weak Lazy Daken, or 260 Thor/Fury/DevilDino.

E: and just after saying that I beat the latter with my go-to team of GSBW/Spidey/Psylocke thanks to some combos getting me a sniper shot quickly and Thor feeding my Spidey a lot of blue power tiles.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 5, 2014

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
It seems I was made a commander of "goons". If anyone wants in, just let me know.

Edit: Or is there an invite option? I can't find it. SO I'll just make it public. Join away!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jubs posted:

It seems I was made a commander of "goons". If anyone wants in, just let me know.

Edit: Or is there an invite option? I can't find it. SO I'll just make it public. Join away!

No, there's no invite. Might not want to make it public unless you're cool with non-goons joining.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 5, 2014

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Metal Bawkses has nine slots open now. We're super casual, no worries about anything.

Auritech fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 5, 2014

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
gently caress. Made it all the way to Simulation 27 but that's as far as I'm going to get. Would have been nice to have a second lazy Daken cover after nine months.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Regrettable posted:

No, there's no invite. Might not want to make it public unless you're cool with non-goons joining.

I can just kick people out if that happens.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Remember folks, if people have a level 120-something Devil Dinosaur or X-Force Wolvie, get into the battle far enough to see their stats (click on them in the boosts/team-ups screen) before you decide you can't take them. Those guys' damage scales severely with covers, and **** can get into the hundreds of level with only a couple. 1 or 2-cover X-Force/Surgical Strike hurts less than an autumn breeze.

Nick Fury, on the other hand, can cause quite a bit of trouble with his covers from the word go.

This also can be good for people starting to collect covers and wondering which guys to hang onto. I wouldn't use a low-cover Fury with my stable of beefy guys but he could shore up a starting player okay. X-Force Wolvie needs covers to ramp up damage but he becomes an absolute monster. DD is tanky and his covers cap out at decent damage for cheap (but green and red are common for others). Invisible Woman can pull off some surprise damage if the stars align, but I wouldn't recommend investing the effort into her unless you hope for an eventual revamp like X-force got.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 5, 2014

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Auritech posted:

Metal Bawkses has nine slots open now. We're super casual, no worries about anything.

I applied as Djehuty. I quit before alliances became a thing so I have no idea what's changed.

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

I AM A FAGORT, HUMP MY RUMP!!!

Auritech posted:

Joined as Crimbo

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm really new to this game but can someone explain the insane PvP matchmaking? I'm either facing someone with a level 15 and two level 1s or a guy with 3 level 60s

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No one can explain it, it's hosed. The easy battles are the seed teams if you join a PVP match early before other players. There's no one to match you with, so you get computer bots that are super easy. The rest of it? Who knows.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Auritech posted:

Applied as EGSunbro. Should probably finally join an alliance since I already play this daily.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm really new to this game but can someone explain the insane PvP matchmaking? I'm either facing someone with a level 15 and two level 1s or a guy with 3 level 60s

You're not ready for PvP probably. You should participate as far as you can go and reap whatever rewards you can, but story and PvE events will be your bread and butter for a while. Matchmaking works by comparing your wins to your losses and matches them to like opponents, regardless of roster or whatever. Some people like me will set up a team that will lose 50 times in a short amount of time and I'll turn around before its over and be fighting people like you with my maxed characters.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

For fucks sake, another new character. This poo poo is getting ridiculous.

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/23607/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_mystique

PVE starts tomorrow, Heroic Juggs, followed by a PVP event.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Groucho Marxist posted:

Something to keep in mind, your pvp rank is determined by your bracket, and your bracket is determined by when you start an event. Starting an event later means you (generally) need fewer points to go up in rank. From my experimenting it seems to be based on your rank (not your total point value). Since you can get matched against people not in your bracket, that would explain the weird 100-150 point where it jumps from guys with level 20-30 to 60+. Either way, you can assume its based roughly off of your wins. Until you get some level 60+ guys just assume once the higher level people start showing up that you are done with that PVP event.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

In my experience, starting any event more than a day from the end is a bad idea as you're up against more people who play obsessively and get huge scores. Even the week long pve events are like this.

The exception would be gauntlet, which is the best game mode imo as it is straight up just you vs the computer.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I got a high enough rank in the Blade event to get an Astonishing Wolverine, so it ended up working out well enough.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
I just wish they decayed your matchmaking rank over time. I can't compete in PVP at all (like getting 100 points is barely doable) since about 6 months ago. But I still get nothing but 3x maxed out characters (horrifying 3* and 4* ones to boot), while I have one max level punisher only. If it decayed it would have drifted me back to something playable by now

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

retro sexual posted:

I just wish they decayed your matchmaking rank over time. I can't compete in PVP at all (like getting 100 points is barely doable) since about 6 months ago. But I still get nothing but 3x maxed out characters (horrifying 3* and 4* ones to boot), while I have one max level punisher only. If it decayed it would have drifted me back to something playable by now
This is exactly the boat I'm in. I actually have an ok roster with a max hulk and classic mags but every single pvp node I hit is 270 X-Force and 2 other max ***s including the featured team-up. I usually win a fight or two in pvp with some boosts just to get the booby prize but they really need to add in decay so I can fight people who are more in my league. Then again hahahaha why am I trying to argue that this horrible piece of poo poo game should change in any way when they have never been nice to their non-whales ever

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

For fucks sake, another new character. This poo poo is getting ridiculous.

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/23607/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_mystique

PVE starts tomorrow, Heroic Juggs, followed by a PVP event.

I don't think they're going to just stop introducing new characters, especially given license they have to work with. Puzzles and dragons has thousands of characters and they still do OK. I think these pack rotations are here to stay and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they happen more frequently, say once a week or even daily instead of once per season. That's where PAD is now. If you want certain dudes, you target certain days of the week to play.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
You can force your MMR down, but that requires planning/effort. I can explain it if anyone gives a poo poo

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't mind learning how to tank. If a hot new cover is coming out it might make life easier.

For instance, the beginning of the current season 500 pts was enough for me to get top 100 in a PVP bracket, I've done OK in PVP and now it's closer to 650 which is really tough for me to pull off with a max 2star roster. I've done it once but it involved shield hopping quite a bit with CStorm and MNMags and a lot of purple/blue boosts.

If I could get my MMR down before a big PVP that might be the difference between top 100 and not top 100

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I got top 20 for around 400 points in the last PvP. No, I have no loving idea either.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Tanking method 1: Defensive Tanking

The first requirement to pull this off is you need to access the PvP at minute 0, right when it starts. You'll get 3 seeder nodes and you want to skip around on them until you get two that are 60/2/2 or lower. (I save two on the off chance I get attacked on the way and the retaliation node covers it up.)

From there you fight your way on the 3rd node until you reach 500 (this is an arbitrary number I picked that works really well for me) or cant go any further.
Once you hit 500 or go as far as you can, you fight either one of the weakest nodes with the weakest team you can put together with the gimmie hero and still win. I save a lvl 6 Jugg and venom for this purpose. After you beat that node with your poo poo team then the hits will come hard and fast and this is what you want. After you've been whittled down to around 100 (from my ideal of 500) you should only be fighting underleveled 2 stars and sometimes 1 stars if things went really well. As long as the hits keep coming and there's plenty of time left in the PvP, let it ride.

Tanking method 2: Active Tanking

This method requires you to have a bunch of low level 1 star heroes on reserve and basically you just keep purposely losing over and over to the weakest teams you can find in shield simulator. Retreating doesn't count, only 0hp defeats. I don't like this method but some of my alliance mates swear by it so whatever flavor you go for is up to you.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Frankly spending time on actively grinding downwards in this game sickens me and I won't do it. I'm happy to just play a bit of the PVE content each day

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I hit a point where I was only seeing maxed 3 star characters. I suicide all of my characters once, which took about 30 mins. That was a few months ago and these days I still mostly see max 2 star and user levelled 3 star characters.

Also, can you tank with a shield on? I. E. Get up to a good score for a pvp, shield up and put a super weak team out while your shield is up?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'd love to see some divisions or leagues in pvp where you can choose the one you enter and get appropriate rewards: only 1-2 stars, only 1-3 stars, or completely open (whales). If I could just choose to go back to 2 star land I'd do it in a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

fishtobaskets posted:

I don't think they're going to just stop introducing new characters, especially given license they have to work with. Puzzles and dragons has thousands of characters and they still do OK.

The comparison doesn't work, in PAD you roll one copy of a character and you're set. In MPQ you need thirteen copies including no more than 3-5 of each ability just to level it up, nevermind getting the optimal arrangement of skill covers.

Also in PAD there's no PVP to deal with, so not having the latest and greatest monsters means it might take you a little longer to do content. In MPQ you're in danger of falling behind if you don't max out the flavour of the month. More than half the content the game churns out is PVP and what PVE content exists tends to force new characters as a requirement. Also even if it's PVE it's still a competitive reward structure punishing not having the right characters for that event.

In short this game is still a pile of poo poo.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 6, 2014