Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

I didn't want to complain before, but the new soundtrack is terrible compared to the old one :(
There are some good and some bad (you know which) sound effects, but overall it's the music that changed for the worse. As far as I could find out it's because Edmund is an idiot and didn't want Baranowsky? If someone made a hack or something that allowed for the old music to play I'd download it in a hardbeat.

It's not even that the new music is bad, it just doesn't fit the game at all unlike the old music which was really eery and fit perfectly.

The thing holding me off from buying it is the new sprite look looks kind of bad to me. I'll probably pick it up at the first sale, but I just thought it's weird that I like the lovely flash style more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It actually looks really good in game and I quickly stopped noticing, but I really hate the animation on the ending cutscenes and the style on the Steam cards.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

RBA Starblade posted:

The thing holding me off from buying it is the new sprite look looks kind of bad to me. I'll probably pick it up at the first sale, but I just thought it's weird that I like the lovely flash style more.

The pixel look just didn't mesh with me either. It just didn't make sense in my brain after playing the original for so long. I couldn't really tell things apart and it made me play badly. Sounds dumb, but the smoothing filter actually helps out a lot. It makes the game make more sense visually.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So can you do analog movement with a gamepad? It didn't recognize my off-brand gamepad so I can only do digital but if there's analog movement I might need to start up x360ce.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

It actually looks really good in game and I quickly stopped noticing, but I really hate the animation on the ending cutscenes and the style on the Steam cards.

The perspective on the golden chest in the end cutscenes is so off it has to be intentional.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought I agreed, but honestly I stopped noticing after just a couple of minutes. It plays so much better, the joy in that distracted me from noticing the pixelation.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

It's time to :getin:

(Actually I'm utterly hosed now, I've only beaten a post-heart boss on Hard once and that was back when everything was still Just Peachy)

E:

Also judging from the fact that the first boss was a black Widow, I guess it affects Challenges too. Probably should've finished those first.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 6, 2014

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Welp, guess I'm not playing this anymore. Got the save-deleting bug :(

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I got a cool run with Technology 2, Spoon Bender(homing) and Shielded Tears, wherein my laser became an anti-bullet barrier that I had to maneuver myself to use. It was actually pretty fun while still being a challenge!

So I got a question/request. How does the progression of the picture on the save file normally go? Since I've completely broken the sequence of events I assume it's Issac on top of Mom's body, then Mom's heart with ticks at the top for how many times you beat it, then pieces of the Polaroid, and then what I assume is pieces of the Negative? Because right now my image is a weird mish-mash of normal and negative picture pieces,having beaten Sheol and Cathedral back to back.

Kanfy posted:

It's time to :getin:

(Actually I'm utterly hosed now, I've only beaten a post-heart boss on Hard once and that was back when everything was still Just Peachy)

For the most part this just means way more Champions. Some bosses are easier but my biggest weakness after this is dark blue/black enemies, who explode on death and are an absolute pain.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Novasol posted:

:(:respek::(

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I could be wrong, but I think the challenges incorporate everything you've unlocked, including unlocks that make the game harder such as the more difficult floors. Therefore it kind of makes sense to tackle the challenges early, because you don't want to get hosed by more challenge.

Though I could be wrong and they're independent of what you've unlocked.

Also, does anyone know how to tell what floor you're on in the Vita version? I know how to zoom in on the map by tapping it, but it doesn't tell you the floor name. I always forget if I'm on Depths I or II.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

HGH posted:

For the most part this just means way more Champions. Some bosses are easier but my biggest weakness after this is dark blue/black enemies, who explode on death and are an absolute pain.

At least on Hard those things are great because they drop bombs, and I always seem to be out of bombs. Might be a different story now of course.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Also, does anyone know how to tell what floor you're on in the Vita version? I know how to zoom in on the map by tapping it, but it doesn't tell you the floor name. I always forget if I'm on Depths I or II.

On the PC you just hold down the button longer and it'll show the name, and then hide the bigger map / name / current time when you let go of it, so maybe try pressing the screen for longer and see if that does it.

If that doesn't do it it'd be a small oversight on their part, and they should add that in along with a Gamma option and the ability to see/change the controls while in a run instead of having to quit back out.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Novasol posted:

This terrifies me to no end. Should I wait for a potential bug fix, backing up my saves after each play, playing anyways and risking it?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Is the save-deleting bug random or is there 'a thing you shouldnt do'.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Found the Satanic Bible I unlocked and it seems pretty powerful, specifically it acts as a rechargable source of black hearts (or whatever they're called) with a recharge time of 6.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It happened when I completed The Tank, but I don't know if it's related.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I haven't found anything concrete. Some people seem to believe it comes from having your Steam library in a non-standard location, but plenty of people with regular C:\ installations are having trouble now too.

On the PSN side, apparently playing Vita offline can cause it.

The stupid part for me is that my Vita was offline only for about 30 seconds, but PSN did reconnect during my game, and when I next went to PS4, Rebirth would no longer load. Vita was still working yesterday evening, but now it won't load as of this morning.

The devs are only acknowledging Steam problems at this point and say there will be a patch tomorrow.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 6, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Here is my expert tip for people debating on stepping on one dot die rooms:

Don't do it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I picked up a rock called Hagalaz, what does that do?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm wondering if the die icon actually means anything. I've had a 1 re-roll half my items, and a 2 had four coins on the floor, each one turning into something different when I stepped on.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Kurtofan posted:

I picked up a rock called Hagalaz, what does that do?

Destroys all rocks and junk in a room when used.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I had a 4 dice room once but I didn't notice anything specific.

E: Apparently there's a patch friday for bugfixes, maybe it will fix the save deleting bug, my blue screens when I alt tab from the fullscreen game, and my keyboard randomly locking up.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
How can I have *-s boy and not have samson unlocked??

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

How can I have *-s boy and not have samson unlocked??

The no-damage achievements only count the second floor

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Is this like the first Isaac where to unlock some items, you had to do dumb poo poo like beat the game 10 times for each character?

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
Anyone know if Monstro's Lung and Brimstone make a good combination?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Had a run as samson where I got exploding/fire tears floor one, the double trinket holder and the wiggle+flatworm, penetrating shots, and a bunch of damage ups. End result: By the end of the game I was killing everything near-instantly with giganting spiraling flaming tears that covered like a fourth of the room. :catdrugs:

quote:

The no-damage achievements only count the second floor

Actually, the issue is that the *-boy things stop tracking as soon as you kill the second boss, whereas to get samson you actually have to go down to the next floor for it to count. So if you kill the second boss, get *-boy, and then stick around on the floor and get hurt you won't get samson.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Here is my expert tip for people debating on stepping on one dot die rooms:

Don't do it.

Here is my counterargument: always do it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
monstro's lung doesn't combo good with anything, which makes me very sad

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I was guppy with monstro's lung and something that gave me splash damage and a couple damage ups and I was a goddamn destroyer of worlds.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Dizz posted:

Is this like the first Isaac where to unlock some items, you had to do dumb poo poo like beat the game 10 times for each character?

Nothing so outrageous. In flash Isaac, you got items for beating Sheol with each character, and then The Chest gave you a bunch of trinkets. Most everything was possible with 2 or 3 successful playthroughs with each character, for those unique character items.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tollymain posted:

I had the lung and the tears bigger while they are close to you and the trinket that makes them wave around. Coupled with some damage upgrades allowed me to one-shot the heart. Made the floors really easy too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I had an amazing monstro's lung run ruined when I picked up magnetic tears.

It's just too drat much magnet power. Just shooting would send every enemy in the room SKYROCKETING directly at my face.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.

Tollymain posted:

That's too bad! I was hoping I got to shoot out a bunch of Brimstones. It just overwrote it. Oh well, that's alright.

On a side note, I keep playing the original music over some of the new tracks. Some of this new stuff is great (Mom's Heart), but the Womb itself is really bland to me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Whatever, offensive upgrades are overrated.

All I'm saying is you haven't lived until you've tried Gnawed Leaf + Dry Baby + Taurus.

(HAY4-LXHW as Isaac should give most if not all of the combo super early)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

What does this room do? There was a rumble when I walked in but nothing actually changed as far as I can tell.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CJacobs posted:

What does this room do? There was a rumble when I walked in but nothing actually changed as far as I can tell.

It changed some items when I walked on the dice face, don't know if it affects the whole floor or just this room.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Are the effects of dice rooms randomized? I've seen a reroll items one and a reset level one so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The D6 room does different things depending on what number is displayed. I know one of them re-rolls pedestal items on that floor and one of them re-rolls pickups on the floor of the die room itself so those are two that you may not even notice the effects of.