Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh no, thing too much like other thing! Other thing go mainstream! Mean both things bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know about Rocklords, but so long as we're talking weird off-brand transformers, I had a set of these guys as a kid, and they were rad as hell.

They didn't transform 7 right in the picture though; he's supposed to have the bottom fold out in a giant duck foot.

Alphabet is its entire own catagory on sirtoys and it is full of whimsical wonders

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh no, thing too much like other thing! Other thing go mainstream! Mean both things bad!

Precisely.

Also, I could've sworn BTS released Sonicron black version but I apparently it does not exist. Did they cancel it?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

EthanSteele posted:

The rocklords told teletraan 1 or whatever to find them some cool ancient alt modes like the dinobots and it just went "these are rocks not bones" and you can figure out the rest. I think I always played with them in like a G1 season 3 scenario where the transformers have gone somewhere and caused a ruckus or Galvatron had heard of some cool thing on a planet and then it turned out it was rock lords. Thinking about it I have vague memories of Apeface throwing them at Highbrow, Brainstorm loving them and Hardhead proving he was dumber than rocks for real. This is like 20 years later and it's all coming back.
A rock lord was my first irony purchase. I was only like 8 or whatever when they came out, but I asked for one purely because it was so stupid I had to get one to put on the shelf and marvel at the poor market research.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Ka0 posted:

Also, I could've sworn BTS released Sonicron black version but I apparently it does not exist. Did they cancel it?
It existed, but in extremely limited quantities, I think. It also happened to be much higher quality.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know about Rocklords, but so long as we're talking weird off-brand transformers, I had a set of these guys as a kid, and they were rad as hell.

They didn't transform 7 right in the picture though; he's supposed to have the bottom fold out in a giant duck foot.

I had some of the letters.

I had a Grandma that was like a Garage sale divining rod. You tell her Transformers and then you've got 3 Jetfires one with full armor, a full Omega Supreme, 2 Metroplexes, a full Ultra Magnus, 2 Wreck-gars, both without weapons or the rubber on their tires, rocklords, number thing dudes, a random bunch of go-bots, and a few other transformers. just amazing.

Also I would totally be up for the Secret Santa thing, just don't expect me to throw out MPs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Fall of Cybertron Blaster is a really solid figure. Gotta get me some more cassettes.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Peter Bazooka posted:

That just makes him sound even more like Deadpool.

Whirl has clamps because he lost his real hands to robot cancer.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

SlothfulCobra posted:

Holy crap I haven't seen these in years. My cousin and I had the full set between us

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure that 0 is a baby Cosmos.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Seventinel prime looks so serious.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh man, I had those too! I have no idea whatever happened to them. Probably been donated or sold at a yard sale years ago. Anybody remember the McDonald's McChangibles? I had like the full set of the dinosaur ones.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha1rhoqxmNI

So ToyWorld's Fort Max thing actually looks pretty nice. Might even please G1 purists.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A slightly improved G1 figure, be still my beating heart.

I'd have preferred an IDW-styled Fort Max.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Captain Invictus posted:

So, Perfect Effect Warden?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

Same here. I just re-read all of MTMTE and I really want it now. Max has a great comic design.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bit late, I know. But I'm a very interesting person and I know a lot of very interesting things. Care to hear one? :v:

Keldroc posted:

Is Angry Birds TF your first cell phone game? They're pretty much all like that, especially the free ones.

Not the good ones, man.

Wayward Souls, by Rocketcat Games, is a great game. It's... a Zeldalike Roguelike. Youtube it.

Anything by Rocketcat Games will not attempt to rob you, and I hear that Monument Valley game is neat. There are lots of good ports of PC/NintendoDS games you've probably never played, either. YouTube them all before purchase, of course.

Free to play games are uniformly bad and you shouldn't play them, ever.

strangehamster posted:

Does everyone at Rovio die or just the AB:TF team?

Everyone.

Rock Lords are kind of cool. Like Soundwave or Reflector, only if they transform at speed and knock into you it hurts a lot. The Rock Lord will be fine because nothing beats rock. Nothing.

Also they have stealth I guess.

Rock stealth.

The_Doctor posted:

So... Talking of Secret Santa.. Who's up for it?

More details are required.

Also, Whirl is Bender, for sure. Swerve is John Mullaney, because of "Swerve Tells a Story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AzraelNewtype posted:

So, Perfect Effect Warden?

Something without literally the worst "tank" form in the history of everything

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just can't get down with Bender as Whirl's voice. Whirl's far more psychotic and unbalanced. The Deadpool comparison is a bit more on the nose, maybe since Ryan Reynolds' career is in the shitter he can be Whirl int he never happening IDW MTMTE straight to DVD film.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well in any case, Overlord sounds like Clancy Brown's Lex Luthor, right? He even LOOKS like Telly Savalas.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Not the good ones, man.

Wayward Souls, by Rocketcat Games, is a great game. It's... a Zeldalike Roguelike. Youtube it.

Anything by Rocketcat Games will not attempt to rob you, and I hear that Monument Valley game is neat. There are lots of good ports of PC/NintendoDS games you've probably never played, either. YouTube them all before purchase, of course.

Free to play games are uniformly bad and you shouldn't play them, ever.

The good ones are very few and far between, and of course the ones you list are all premium priced, so I would drat well hope they don't try to sell me stuff after charging $6-10 up front. Yes, Monument Valley is very good, but it's a real game I paid real money for, not a timesink moneypit like 99% of mobile games today. I've never played any of the NES/SNES classic ports because they're all ludicrously priced. I ain't paying $15-20 for a 20 year old SNES game, Square, sorry.

At any rate, Angry Birds Transformers is exactly what one would expect if one has any experience with Rovio's work and F2P in general. I'd actually say it's of higher overall quality than most of its ilk, and at least it has some fun with the license. And new Vince DiCola tracks are never a bad thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Well in any case, Overlord sounds like Clancy Brown's Lex Luthor, right? He even LOOKS like Telly Savalas.

Weirdly, Roberts says he writes him as sounding like John Simms' Master. Which I can't hear at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Weirdly, Roberts says he writes him as sounding like John Simms' Master. Which I can't hear at all.

Yeah NO. He's too BIG to have a voice like Simm, on a purely auditory level.

Not to mention that the Simm Master doesn't talk like THIS:

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So maybe an odd request but I'd like to dip my toe in the 3rd party pool but there have been quite a few in recent years and while I've read everyone's opinions on each in that time it's all kinda a blur.

Can anyone recommend a few that are a decent intersection between quality and price? I'd like to not spend a ton and I'm assuming some older releases are more expensive now just due to supply.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The_Doctor posted:

The gently caress? This is why I never seek out the opinions of the people behind my favorite things. Ew, gross, that's horrible. Why doesn't he write Overlord to wildly gesticulate while gurning and listening to Scissor Sisters?

.....Delgado, maybe.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

DisposableHero posted:

So maybe an odd request but I'd like to dip my toe in the 3rd party pool but there have been quite a few in recent years and while I've read everyone's opinions on each in that time it's all kinda a blur.

Can anyone recommend a few that are a decent intersection between quality and price? I'd like to not spend a ton and I'm assuming some older releases are more expensive now just due to supply.

Gauntlet (Ironfist) and that IDW Swerve/Gears two-pack are pretty fantastic. I mean brace yourself to pay $30 per toy-that's-somewhere-between-scout-and-deluxe, but I don't think you'll find better bang for your buck in 3P.

A secondary recommendation would be the 2nd release of iGear's Ratchet, which can be had for ~$90 and is wonderful since Hastak is apparently never making a decent goddam Ratchet toy.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

DisposableHero posted:

Speaking out of experience with 3A toys, which has by far the widest gamut of out-of-print prices, I would say don't look ahead for your first purchase. You will be saving tens of dollars for a non-zero chance of a stinker.

I totally understand not wanting to pay a premium for way back items like the original magnus Classics shell, but don't be turned off just because you have to pay more than retail for the privilege of not having to beta test the design.

I've been out of the 3P loop for a while, but I did get a chance to play with the Gears/what's his face (I can't believe I'm blanking on this guy's name. The metallurgist bartender darling of the community) 2 pack and it was very reasonably priced for a pair of great figures.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

WTF Hasbro where's my robot lobster that turns into a car!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The gently caress? This is why I never seek out the opinions of the people behind my favorite things. Ew, gross, that's horrible. Why doesn't he write Overlord to wildly gesticulate while gurning and listening to Scissor Sisters?

.....Delgado, maybe.

You know, outside of my earlier Futurama joke, Pharma reads a lot like the Simm!Master to me. Plus it fits my (general) trend of reading Original Characters as brits but established TFs as being American-sounding.

I REALLY REALLY WANT AN MTMTE OVA SO BADLY GAAAH

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Thanks for the 3P suggestions. Any recommended sellers or rather any to explicitly avoid? Or should I just shop around?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

You know, outside of my earlier Futurama joke, Pharma reads a lot like the Simm!Master to me. Plus it fits my (general) trend of reading Original Characters as brits but established TFs as being American-sounding.

I hope you're reading the Headmasters as Brits, or at least Brainstorm, given the MARB/MAAB thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Phy posted:

I hope you're reading the Headmasters as Brits, or at least Brainstorm, given the MARB/MAAB thing.

Well, the MARB/MAAB thing works just as well in a heavy Bronx/Queens NYC accent as it does in Received Pronunciation - but since I don't think Brainstorm sounds like Fran Drescher, yeah, he's a brit probably.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

A secondary recommendation would be the 2nd release of iGear's Ratchet, which can be had for ~$90 and is wonderful since Hastak is apparently never making a decent goddam Ratchet toy.

You're nuts if you think MP Ratchet and Ironhide aren't coming eventually.

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, the MARB/MAAB thing works just as well in a heavy Bronx/Queens NYC accent as it does in Received Pronunciation - but since I don't think Brainstorm sounds like Fran Drescher, yeah, he's a brit probably.

For no good reason I have always read Brainstorm as having Shipwreck's voice from GI Joe, so the MARB/MAAB thing worked okay.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 6, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've started reading a lot of them as English, due to the rather colloquial and localised turn of phrases they use.

Swerve is still John Mulaney though. And hey, with his sitcom about to be cancelled after only a few episodes, I'm sure he'd be up for voice work.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think Overlord sounds like the generic trying too hard anime villain in my head.

Gauntlet (Ironfist) and that IDW Swerve/Gears two-pack are pretty fantastic. I mean brace yourself to pay $30 per toy-that's-somewhere-between-scout-and-deluxe, but I don't think you'll find better bang for your buck in 3P.
I split the two-pack with hamster, and he's got my Gauntlet too, so I don't actually own any 3P poo poo yet technically but I feel like the MMC Azalea stuff is pretty reasonable looking too? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get Salvia of the set, since HasTak will definitely never make a satisfying Solus Prime.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

DisposableHero posted:

Thanks for the 3P suggestions. Any recommended sellers or rather any to explicitly avoid? Or should I just shop around?

I swear by BBTS, because of the free non-binding preorders and relentlessly great customer service, but that's just my experience with them.

DoctorWhat posted:

Maybe it was the Dune miniseries, or maybe it was the Watchmen movie, but at some point I became completely disinterested in seeing the comics and books I like adapted for the screen. MTMTE is really wonderful and I don't think an animated version would be better, or reach a wider audience. So there's no point (for me).

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

FansProject Function X-01 Code Is A Good Toy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

You're nuts if you think MP Ratchet and Ironhide aren't coming eventually.

It's been eleven years since the Masterpiece line started with MP-1. I mean for a good decade there, it was a no-brainer because it would be so easy to re-use the mold. But now they're re-making characters they've already done, and Star Saber is coming out. I'm pretty they'll be jackassing around with the 2nd version of MP Windcharger or the world will run out of petroleum before they go for Ratchet and Ironhide at this rate.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I'd like to sign up for Secret Santa! I love that poo poo.

DisposableHero posted:

There's a lot of good information in the OP about this, as I recall? But to recap--TFsource and BBTS are generally reliable. TFsource has free shipping after $150, and BBTS has (usually) been known for good customer service and a cool pre-order Pile of Loot system that doesn't charge until something arrives in stock. Another good choice is Captured Prey--they have lower prices which means you're generally paying as much as you would with free shipping from TFsource anyway, and the guy who runs it seems pretty legit. I haven't had bad experiences with any of those sellers, though other people here can't say the same for various ones.

I've also had good experiences buying stuff on ebay from (I think?) various Chinese vendors, but make sure to check their rating, etc. YMMV

As far as which toys to get that are cheap, I might look for the ToyWorld not-Throttle bots (Aurora is like almost always on sale) or the Mech Ideas twins, but their stock might be limited now. The FansProject headmasters are all pretty much universally hailed as great, also.

I've had my eye on the MakeToys TrashTalk and Cogs for a while, but I don't own them and can't speak to their quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I hope you didn't like recent IDW Drift because Shane McCarthy is gonna destroy everything that could have made him likable.