Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bug and glitches update

As I said in my earlier effortpost, there are some quick solutions for SOME problems, the devs are working on the others.

This is rather important, because checking the Steam forums and reading through this thread, it becomes obvious that there are probably many hundreds of players suffering from game-breaking problems, despite some people here claiming that it's "only a few".

The good news is that the devs are planning to release a patched version of the game next Friday (tomorrow). So for those who can't play the game: be patient, a patch will be released shortly, after this thread gets only a few hundred more posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
BE WARNED MORTALS: The dice room, if displaying six will reroll the items you have picked up thus far... only do this if you know your current run is doomed!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Just had a run where I got polyphemus in the first item room, then a devil deal for mom's knife in cellar 2.
Had a really fun time one shotting everything in the boss rush.

YY7T
EYG0

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 6, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ughhhh gently caress BBF and every other item that has a "can damage you easily without you knowing or being able to do jack poo poo about them" status.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How does this game play with a PS3 controller with BetterDS3? I was always interested in the original, but I hated the keyboard controls and could never get JoyToKey working properly.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Don't know if it's come up in a few pages, but the Key Bum does drop pickups eventually. I got a BBF after 13 keys in the Womb. It's probably just as temperamental as the normal bum who can dump an item on you anywhere between 3 to 50 cents depending on how much the RNG loves you.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

what the hell do those tentacle things that you find commonly in the womb actually do?

Every time I've found them they've done jack poo poo but I still feel like they have some purpose and they count as enemies for escaping the room so uh??

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha what a clusterfuck.

I uploaded a working copy of my Vita Rebirth save to PSN+ last night... however I also checked off the "auto-upload" feature. So overnight it replaced my backup with the broken version.

Now I'm discovering the Vita system has no way to delete savedata without deleting the entire game. It's supposed to be handled in-game, but Rebirth won't load. Guess I'm starting over...

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm still really undecided on the graphics. They're a real mixed bag - some bits look beautiful, some look worse than the original in my opinion. I was interested to notice that my girfriend - who isn't familiar with terms like pixel art or vector graphics, or what newgrounds used to look like, or other such things - took one look at it and asked me 'why did they make the graphics worse?".

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 6, 2014

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

teethgrinder posted:

Haha what a clusterfuck.

I uploaded a working copy of my Vita Rebirth save to PSN+ last night... however I also checked off the "auto-upload" feature. So overnight it replaced my backup with the broken version.

Now I'm discovering the Vita system has no way to delete savedata without deleting the entire game. It's supposed to be handled in-game, but Rebirth won't load. Guess I'm starting over...

I had an issue loading last night when I was playing my Vita on the go - it just tried to load the game for like 3 min before I powered down and back on. Worked ok after that, but I am going to make sure I don't play offline again until a patch comes around now.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Motherfucker posted:

BE WARNED MORTALS: The dice room, if displaying six will reroll the items you have picked up thus far... only do this if you know your current run is doomed!

AND your stats. Don't forget your stats.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I beat the boss Rush once, but it was on the Tech Savvy Challenge after getting the Broken Watch, which happened to slow down all the bosses.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

chippy posted:

I'm still really undecided on the graphics. They're a real mixed bag - some bits look beautiful, some look worse than the original in my opinion. I was interested to notice that my girfriend - who isn't familiar with terms like pixel art or vector graphics, or what newground used to look like, or other such things - took one look at it and asked me 'why did they make the graphics worse?".

I'm on the fence as well. The special effects look beautiful, but there are so many items that are just a blob of pixels now.

Monsters are a mixed bag. Some like Monstro are pretty much the same as before, but then there's cases like Loki who lost all their personality.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lester Shy posted:

How does this game play with a PS3 controller with BetterDS3? I was always interested in the original, but I hated the keyboard controls and could never get JoyToKey working properly.

Works great for me.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
About the D6 rooms. I know for a fact that a D5 will basically apply a Forget Me Now to your current floor, meaning you'll start over at the start of it with the room gone.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

HGH posted:

About the D6 rooms. I know for a fact that a D5 will basically apply a Forget Me Now to your current floor, meaning you'll start over at the start of it with the room gone.

Are you sure? It seems to vary depending on which one you step on from what I can tell. There's definitely some element of randomness in play in any case.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Woo, purist on the first try.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Are you sure? It seems to vary depending on which one you step on from what I can tell. There's definitely some element of randomness in play in any case.

I'm under the impression the effect of the dice room depends on the face of the die the floor shows. Stepping onto it just triggers it. Either way, they all involve rerolling something.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.
SPOILER
http://i.imgur.com/ruDaUCm.png

Reached the new final boss. Got it to about 60% or so before dying. I only had 1.5 hearts remaining when I got there. I don't know if it gets harder, but going by the other final bosses, it probably does.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pyromaniac is a very good item!!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I feel like the big rooms are a little too common. I'd prefer if it was a rarer "treat" to see. But that's just me, and it's a super minor complaint.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Flying is super important now. It used to be that I'd skip over taking Lord of the Pit if I saw it early because I knew I had a very good chance of getting a better flying item soon after, and a good chance of flying not mattering. Now there's so many more rooms with obstacles restricting my ability to dodge and so many consumables across gaps that I'll take anything that allows me to fly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh gently caress me. Was playing ???, early on did a deal for Juda's Shadow and killed myself to respawn for the boosted damage. Apparently respawning as the little shadow dude means you actually count as Judas instead from that point on, so now I have cathedral/chest cleared on Judas without actually doing that and I'll need to do it again on ???.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I had a dice room turn me into the lord of flies, it was pretty cool.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

drunken officeparty posted:

I feel like the big rooms are a little too common. I'd prefer if it was a rarer "treat" to see. But that's just me, and it's a super minor complaint.

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about them. I think it's a neat idea but it kinda takes away from the tight almost puzzly elements of the original game.

chippy posted:

I'm still really undecided on the graphics. They're a real mixed bag - some bits look beautiful, some look worse than the original in my opinion. I was interested to notice that my girfriend - who isn't familiar with terms like pixel art or vector graphics, or what newgrounds used to look like, or other such things - took one look at it and asked me 'why did they make the graphics worse?".

I swear there are animations and sound effects just straight up missing from this version of the game. I know a lot of that was just flashy squash and stretch stuff but it looked and felt really good.

e: also i swear it's way easier than the original game too. definitely easier than Wrath of the Lamb

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yodzilla posted:

e: also i swear it's way easier than the original game too. definitely easier than Wrath of the Lamb

Really? The game seems at least the same if not harder for me.

I decided a long time ago that I like both sets of graphics and have no preference between one or the other. The filter looks bad on the new graphics either way though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Don't forget that the game gets harder as you beat it, Rebirth will obviously be easier until you reach the same level of difficulty as in WotL after beating it enough times.

And Hard mode exists now too.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Yodzilla posted:

I don't know about that. I got platinum god on WotL and could manage to at least squeak out a Chest victory 9/10 times regardless of the RNG's feelings towards me.

But this game is a different beast entirely. I've only beaten the heart once and died countless times. It's definitely much more involved, if not more difficult.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is it known what the different numbers in the randomizer room do?

I think one of them shuffles your items and another one changes the layout of the stage.

Edit: apparently this is it:

If the dice shows a 1, it will re-roll the items you are carrying in an unknown way. (The previous entry related to past runs was found to be false.)

If the dice shows a 2, it will re-roll all pickup items in the dice room.

If the dice shows a 3, it will re-roll all pickup items on that floor.

If the dice shows a 4, it will re-roll all items on the floor i.e. Item Rooms, Shops, Libraries, etc

If the dice shows a 5, it will re-roll entire floor and restart it, a similar effect to the 'forget me now' item but without the loss of your current item

If the dice shows a 6, it will re-roll (or possibly just randomize) every item you are carrying, including all passive upgrades.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 6, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PureQuestion posted:

SPOILER
http://i.imgur.com/ruDaUCm.png

Reached the new final boss. Got it to about 60% or so before dying. I only had 1.5 hearts remaining when I got there. I don't know if it gets harder, but going by the other final bosses, it probably does.

Where do you fight this boss? Is it in the alternate of the chest?

From tidbits I've seen posted, I've seen a "The Negative" trinket/item that's well, a negative version of The Polaroid. A wiki also mentions a level called "The Dark Room," I assume this stuff is related.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Lil' Brimstone is the best all-around pickup, right? Love that dude.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a fair bit easier to get some really early wins compared to the first game but once it starts progressing you're going to get dunked hard if you don't bring your best. and yeah, hard mode also exists to layer on top of that all as well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bogart posted:

Lil' Brimstone is the best all-around pickup, right? Love that dude.

Familiar sure, but pickup? I dunno. There are so many amazing pickups; ludovico, brimstone, technology 1 and 2, taurus, ect.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I really hate enemies that randomly pop under me without a chance to avoid them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
^^^ keep moving and don't stand still.

I think the best single item in the game is Epic Fetus. You can attack any part of the room from anywhere else, it does a ton of damage, it's explosive, and it can open up secret rooms and treasure rocks and poo poo for free forever.

When you start getting into item combinations it gets more complicated and Epic Fetus isn't that great in that regard because it doesn't really combo with anything, but in terms of a hypothetical "start the game with any one item and get nothing else for the entire game" it's probably the best.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Turns out I'm not alone in my problem. More people have The Catacombs and The Necropolis than The Cellar. I'm starting to wonder if there's just some super rare boss fight I'm not seeing instead of Dingle, Monstro, Larry,and Gemini.

Maybe its Widow. I know I fought The Hollow one time.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 6, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Where do you fight this boss? Is it in the alternate of the chest?

From tidbits I've seen posted, I've seen a "The Negative" trinket/item that's well, a negative version of The Polaroid. A wiki also mentions a level called "The Dark Room," I assume this stuff is related.

Yes, and the text in the spoiler is also correct. You can get there with a shovel on Sheol or a teleport from a Red Chest as well without properly unlocking it.

There's more afterwards, but I'm not sure how to unlock it.

PureQuestion posted:

Yes it does, basically undodgeable in its last phase.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The first time I picked up Ludovico, it was on a giant room (the boss rush), and I lost instantly because I kept losing the loving thing. In the Community Remix mod for the first game, you could use your mouse to control it, which was a lot easier. Can you swap to using a controller mid-run? I might do that, an analog stick would make it more bearable.

The other disappointment was Tiny Planet. I got it as my first item on a floor and it sucks without any upgrades.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Bee posted:

Turns out I'm not alone in my problem. More people have The Catacombs and The Necropolis than The Cellar. I'm starting to wonder if there's just some super rare boss fight I'm not seeing instead of Dingle, Monstro, Larry,and Gemini.

I've got the same thing. No Cellar but I got Catacombs right away and Necropolis shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dingle is such a poo poo boss.