Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Big rooms own. Pretty much all of them are fun, unless they have those little statues that never ever stop spitting bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Dingle is such a poo poo boss.

I was having a bad day and got Dingle, and in my frustration called him a little poo poo. Then I had to pause the game for a few minutes to contemplate my life.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

BJPaskoff posted:

The other disappointment was Tiny Planet. I got it as my first item on a floor and it sucks without any upgrades.

The trick to that is that there's a point in front of you when you're firing that every tear you fire is going to hit and usually hit two at once, so you want to position enemies so they're at that point.

e: How can anyone hate Dingle? He's so happy. :buddy:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ddraig posted:

Dingle is such a poo poo boss.

Literally so!

I breathe a sigh of relief whenever I get Dingle because it's such an easy boss.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

PostNouveau posted:

Big rooms own. Pretty much all of them are fun, unless they have those little statues that never ever stop spitting bullets.

gently caress those things. I can dodge them when running outwards but I'm pretty sure its literally impossible to dodge into them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:toot:

Read posted:

Yes it does, basically undodgeable in its last phase.
Now I'm mad that I didn't record beating it with only one HP.
The Item you get from beating him is called "Missing poster", by the way.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I thought Dingle was terrible until I learned his tells.

1. Little Tune -> Spit/Babies
2. Smile -> Spit
3. Frown -> Jump at you three times.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

2. Smile -> Spit

Yep! Watch his mouth, he telegraphs everything he does. For the charge, just run around him in a circle.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anyone know how to unlock It Lives? I've beaten the heart 9 times now and I'm getting kind of tired of hoping that a Devil or Angel room appears after The Heart just to progress at this point.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SystemLogoff posted:

2. Smile -> Spit

Dingle is only really bad when he spits right after summoning his poobabies. Sometimes its safe to open fire but usually he shoots too drat fast.

crackton
May 9, 2009
Hey I'm playing the PS4 version and I noticed sometimes I'm unable to pick up health (hearts) randomly.

Is there a reason for this or is it a glitch? I'm playing as Isaac and sometimes it happens right from the first basement.

It was really frustrating progressing far into the game and then dying while in a room littered with hearts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

IronicDongz posted:

Have you unlocked the new secret character yet? How is he, and what are his unlock requirements?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Azazel is super fun to play as. I almost feel like I'm cheating.

What are people's thoughts on playing on normal vs hard?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
yes that frown he gets while he is in the process of smacking you in the face is a good tell. *blows bubbles from pipe*

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I had a really, really interesting tear combo. Played the one challenge where you have magnetic bullets that stick in place until you launch them, and got Brimstone.

That combo apparantely creates red swirling vortexes of death that suck in everything nearby and then launches a Brimstone barrage. Really hard to use, but super powerful - killed Mom with no hits while there was a curse of darkness. Just ran around the arena leaving vortexes of doom that fire'd death lasers at everything.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I can't think of the name right now, but there's a boss that has a homing brimstone attack, it curves to hit you no matter where you are. Is there any way of dodging that, or are you just hosed if you don't have shielding of some sort?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Kaethela posted:

I can't think of the name right now, but there's a boss that has a homing brimstone attack, it curves to hit you no matter where you are. Is there any way of dodging that, or are you just hosed if you don't have shielding of some sort?

There's a limit to how much it can curve and it'll stop if it hits a wall.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kaethela posted:

You have to time your dodge right so that you're moving away from the beam as he shoots. As long as you're not directly in the Brimstone's path when he shoots then you can avoid it since it only curves so much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Motherfucker posted:

yes that frown he gets while he is in the process of smacking you in the face is a good tell. *blows bubbles from pipe*

it happens before it does any dashes, is distinct from every other distinct face that it makes (there's three), and if you start moving to the side the second you see it you'll never get hit. hope this helps out any people unable to connect 2 and 2 together out there

(by the way it's less a frown and more puffing out it's cheeks)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

For which character? I didn't get that for killing him with Blue Baby.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What's the difference between normal and hard? I'm figuring it's a combo of More damage taken, Enemies have more health, Enemies are more aggressive.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Well that was a strange run. Managed to find some great upgrades + step into some kind of huge floor tile with six circles which apparently turned me into this furry abomination:

By the end I had so many upgrades the pause screen probably showed only about half of them. I could fly, break blocks by running into them and had so many flies / followers etc. that I could've probably handled most rooms without doing anything myself. Also nine lives. All of my shots exploded into smaller shots, so every room basically looked like something like this:

(I'm glad the game isn't in flash anymore or this would've probably slowed the FPS to negatives or crashed the whole thing)

First time I made it into Sheol. Satan lasted a couple of seconds before croaking.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Dizz posted:

What's the difference between normal and hard? I'm figuring it's a combo of More damage taken, Enemies have more health, Enemies are more aggressive.

Less items dropping per room too. I know when I switched back to Normal I wouldn't have to struggle to get double-digits in at least one of bombs, coins or keys before Mom.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.

Oxyclean posted:

Where do you fight this boss? Is it in the alternate of the chest?

From tidbits I've seen posted, I've seen a "The Negative" trinket/item that's well, a negative version of The Polaroid. A wiki also mentions a level called "The Dark Room," I assume this stuff is related.

Yes. This is the final boss of the Dark Room, accessed by defeating Satan while holding the Negative.

I found the fight rather easy; much easier than Isaac/??? or even Satan. That said, I find Sheol harder than the Cathedral and the Dark Room is also at least nearly as difficult as the chest, maybe more difficult, so there's a lot of attrition to survive before even getting to the boss.

Edit: Also, does anyone know what that thing about "The Angels Await" means?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
So many people out for dark bum's nerf. :ohdear:
I hope devs don't listen to them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PureQuestion posted:

I have no idea the context, maybe it means go beat the Cathedral/Chest?

Also, is the Polaroid/Negative still a trinket? Is it obtained differently? I thought I remember reading something from Edmund about a QoL change so that getting to the chest wasn't quite as annoying/RNG based?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The bone shooter guys are the loving worst. I hate them so much.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Who are the grey people frozen in certain rooms? Should I blow them up? They seem so sad.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Anyone have a seed with Tammy's Head early on for Azazel? I still haven't seen one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Oxyclean posted:

I have no idea the context, maybe it means go beat the Cathedral/Chest?

Also, is the Polaroid/Negative still a trinket? Is it obtained differently? I thought I remember reading something from Edmund about a QoL change so that getting to the chest wasn't quite as annoying/RNG based?

The Polaroid and the Negative both show up after you beat Mom(If you have unlocked them), but you can only pick up one of them.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Spoilers for surprising new content:

Ran into a boss called Mega Satan. That was such an unbelievably intense fight. I managed to win on my first try but doing that repeatedly with other builds is going to take some serious practice.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

I haven't unlocked the polaroid, but the Negative is a regular item that mom now always drops in place of her normal boss item.

I presume if I had the polaroid unlocked, it would either a) pick one at random or b) offer both.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

13/f/cali posted:

Spoilers for surprising new content:

Ran into a boss called Mega Satan. That was such an unbelievably intense fight. I managed to win on my first try but doing that repeatedly with other builds is going to take some serious practice.

Oh.

poo poo.

Where? How?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

PureQuestion posted:

Yes. This is the final boss of the Dark Room, accessed by defeating Satan while holding the Negative.

I found the fight rather easy; much easier than Isaac/??? or even Satan. That said, I find Sheol harder than the Cathedral and the Dark Room is also at least nearly as difficult as the chest, maybe more difficult, so there's a lot of attrition to survive before even getting to the boss.

Apparently to unlock the real final boss you need to bomb two Angels and collect 2 halves of a key. Then you bring it to the chest to fight the boss. The boss is Mega Satan and the fight sounds nuts.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

RatHat posted:

Apparently to unlock the real final boss you need to bomb two Angels and collect 2 halves of a key. Then you bring it to the chest to fight the boss. The boss is Mega Satan and the fight sounds nuts.

:vince:

Holy gently caress.

I wish I wasn't so rusty. Still need to trounce the Heart but I REALLY want to see some of this stuff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RatHat posted:

I was wondering what that giant locked door was.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I hate to say this, but the dark bum might need a slight nerf. Maybe make it so it takes 3-5 hearts per soul heart or something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

drunken officeparty posted:

The bone shooter guys are the loving worst. I hate them so much.

Yeah, their projectiles fly a little too fast for my taste. They only shoot when they detect you in a small angle of the four cardinal directions, but they react quickly and move randomly.

Skull kids are the worst though. Why yes a mobile version of those skull heads that spit out a fan of blood sounds completely fair, particularly when you have to bait them at really short range.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broken Cog posted:

I hate to say this, but the dark bum might need a slight nerf. Maybe make it so it takes 3-5 hearts per soul heart or something.

No? I guess Azael needs a nerf too, and LUdico, and Bob's brain, and lil' brimstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Items that make you insanely powerful are fine, but as it is Dark Bum pretty much hard-sets your health to the maximum. You can trade away all your health in devil deals and still basically have 12 health with him, that's absurd. He could give you half the soul hearts he currently does and he'd still be great.

Incidentally whoever said that Coal makes Head Trauma bearable is right, suddenly you're at the centre of a swirling maelstrom of death that almost nothing can pass through.