Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AlternateNu posted:

Amen to that. My FNMs are in a literal anime merchandise store, and we don't get anyone near as goony as what you motherfuckers describe. gently caress, the "creepiest" person in the group is probably the girlfriend of one of our regulars who freely admits to writing slash fanfiction and manages to pull at least 2 mythics every time she drafts with us. :argh:

Our LGS is a comic shop with huge rooms for tournaments. We don't have many creepy Pedo anime sleeve/mat people. But since our LGS judge is female she weeds out the creepers real fast. It's the most enjoyable place to play I have ever been to. Clean, roomy, well lit and the creeps are out?

Yes. I am in.

I feel sorry for the terrible conditions the rest of you play in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We could beat up the butts in the hobby but even though that'll make the group better as a whole and is quietly appreciated guess who's getting thrown out of the store.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice. Source?

This would be bad even fore MTGSalv so, yeah, source?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I think he was just being sarcastic to illustrate the point.

I hope, anyways. :ohdear:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I like my LGS. There's one woman in our regular drafting group, she's in her mid 40s and has some mild mental retardation or cognitive impairment or whatever the term is these days. She has won one game the entire time I've known her but she does seem to be slowly improving. For instance, last week she drafted almost all black and green cards and then some Sultai gold cards. So she's getting better about being on color.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

According to a 1998 survey by the National Institute of Justice Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approximately 3% of men are either rape or attempted rape victims and 17.6% of women.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/172837.pdf

So it does happen to both, technically, but does definitely more heavily happen to women. However, even if there were no gender disparity here, it would still be a HORRIBLE thing to bring up to describe beating something as rape. It is the definition of "triggering".

bhsman posted:

I think he was just being sarcastic to illustrate the point.

I hope, anyways. :ohdear:

I hope so as well.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I've heard people say things to that effect IRL and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something with a bit of googling. I remember there was a controversy with professional street fighter players a couple years ago about that word being thrown around casually and one of them defended it by basically saying " what is this, North Korea? Freedom of speech, bro"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Ciprian Maricon's avatar should be turned into a emoticon. I feel I need the ability to check other peoples privilege while also having mine checked by other people in emoticon form.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus wtf is going on in the thread today? Stop talking about rape you idiots.

Be the change you want to be. Be nice and polite and welcoming to everyone including girls. Except don't tolerate creepy playmats or extremely gross unclean people. This is not MLP where everyone is welcome. There really isn't much more to say.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is a few pages back but I always laugh when Maro is defending the merits of black's philosophy as being the color of capitalism. Like even if you're some intern for the American Enterprise Institute it's pretty easy to see blue has always had the parts of capitalism people like to praise -- i.e. commerce broadly. Black meanwhile is the color of Greed, Coercion, Murder, Enslave, and a man who loves gold so much he turns everything he touches into lovely golden computer models circa 1995 (King Macar will make anime real).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Can I just say that I really hate the popular trend in certain circles (SA sometimes being one) to poo poo on someone having an epiphany because you were gender-progressive (or whatever) before it was cool?

And if the next argument is "well, okay, but he still doesn't need to write an article about it" the answer is yeah, no, he does, because regardless of how far you think he is behind you in talking to women in public without breathing heavily and sweating out his exposed asscrack, he's still effectively at the vanguard of this when it comes to Magic and nerdgames; arguably society in general but definitely nerdgames. If you think it's explaining or articulating stuff that's old hat and kindergarten-level stuff, that's because you are not the target audience. When you take potshots at someone in that position it's like reading a 101-level textbook and sarcastically slow-clapping at the authors for explaining basic concepts while you totally have a PhD--not that a blog post is the equivalent of a textbook, but hopefully my point can be taken.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If you guys want to blather on about triggering and privilege or whatever the gently caress else, there's a thread for that. Not every thread needs a treatise on how this particular topic is socially progressive/regressive/triggering/loaded with trans-fats. Play the game, enjoy the game, don't be a poo poo.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

Can I just say that I really hate the popular trend in certain circles (SA sometimes being one) to poo poo on someone having an epiphany because you were gender-progressive (or whatever) before it was cool?

And if the next argument is "well, okay, but he still doesn't need to write an article about it" the answer is yeah, no, he does, because regardless of how far you think he is behind you in talking to women in public without breathing heavily and sweating out his exposed asscrack, he's still effectively at the vanguard of this when it comes to Magic and nerdgames; arguably society in general but definitely nerdgames. If you think it's explaining or articulating stuff that's old hat and kindergarten-level stuff, that's because you are not the target audience. When you take potshots at someone in that position it's like reading a 101-level textbook and sarcastically slow-clapping at the authors for explaining basic concepts while you totally have a PhD--not that a blog post is the equivalent of a textbook, but hopefully my point can be taken.

I'm not making GBS threads on someone who realizes he used to be a misogynist, good for him. It is just boring when it becomes the topic of the day for the magic thread, I'd rather discuss many other things than how to treat women like people and not creep them out at card night, because I already get it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jassi007 posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on someone who realizes he used to be a misogynist, good for him. It is just boring when it becomes the topic of the day for the magic thread, I'd rather discuss many other things than how to treat women like people and not creep them out at card night.

I don't think I meant you or that argument specifically. There were/are some people who were like "why is there a blog post about some poorly-adjusted nerd taking his first steps down the road to progressive socialization."

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

When did MTGO become so hostile towards less-than-stellar internet connections? I used to play full tourneys on 28.8k dialup, yet lately on Verizon 4G I can't add a card to a trade binder without being instantly disconnected.

I really wanted to trade off some chaff while it still had value.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is it normal for MTGO to use more memory than Skyrim?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

NofrikinfuN posted:

When did MTGO become so hostile towards less-than-stellar internet connections? I used to play full tourneys on 28.8k dialup, yet lately on Verizon 4G I can't add a card to a trade binder without being instantly disconnected.

I really wanted to trade off some chaff while it still had value.

I'd blame v4. Nearly everything performance-related went way downhill.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is a few pages back but I always laugh when Maro is defending the merits of black's philosophy as being the color of capitalism. Like even if you're some intern for the American Enterprise Institute it's pretty easy to see blue has always had the parts of capitalism people like to praise -- i.e. commerce broadly. Black meanwhile is the color of Greed, Coercion, Murder, Enslave, and a man who loves gold so much he turns everything he touches into lovely golden computer models circa 1995 (King Macar will make anime real).

Sounds like real capitalism to me!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

If you guys want to blather on about triggering and privilege or whatever the gently caress else, there's a thread for that. Not every thread needs a treatise on how this particular topic is socially progressive/regressive/triggering/loaded with trans-fats. Play the game, enjoy the game, don't be a poo poo.

There was an article specifically addressing the topic in relation to magic. Thats what started this conversation. Rather than complaining that people are having a conversation about a topic you dislike, bring up another topic and stick with it. Gender issues and privilege as it relates to gaming is certainly meriting of discussion in the general magic thread. If you dislike the current topic, don't participate or start a different one.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Blue is academia, they are the research scientists that want to know how to extract energy from the sun. Black is the business owner funding the institute so it can have first dibs at the awesome new technology they made and charging people a premium rate to use it. Oh and some demon summoning on the side.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah being dismissive is a great way to keep the creepy status quo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

Blue is academia, they are the research scientists that want to know how to extract energy from the sun. Black is the business owner funding the institute so it can have first dibs at the awesome new technology they made and charging people a premium rate to use it. Oh and some demon summoning on the side.

To be fair if work meetings involved demon summoning I'd be a lot more interested.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

To be fair if work meetings involved demon summoning I'd be a lot more interested.

P sure when the topic is about the little demon who keeps eating everyone's lunches it literally is. That's when I learned the magic ward of making the container look as gross as possible.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Morphing

Being a morph

Unmorphing

why is this horse not able to move its legs as it runs

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Okay, here's a question for the thread that isn't about misogyny: for those of you who play non-rotating formats, how did you end up playing the deck you play now? Was it the first deck you started with? Did you switch over time, possibly dramatically? What about it appealed to you?

I've kind of flitted from deck to deck over time, but I finally feel like my current deck is the one I want to seriously get better at playing and stick with. It's kind of a neat feeling, and I'm sure it'll be rewarded by tighter play.

What do you all play, and why?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

gang sines posted:

That's just how quickly it morphs/ unmorphs :v:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

That's just how quickly it morphs/ unmorphs :v:

it's moving horizontally though so it's moving pretty ridiculously fast !!!!!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Morphing

Being a morph

Unmorphing

Where did you find this?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Woah man, what is he feeding that horse? :v:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

gang sines posted:

~ ancient draconic magic ~

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

a dozen swans posted:

Okay, here's a question for the thread that isn't about misogyny: for those of you who play non-rotating formats, how did you end up playing the deck you play now? Was it the first deck you started with? Did you switch over time, possibly dramatically? What about it appealed to you?

I've kind of flitted from deck to deck over time, but I finally feel like my current deck is the one I want to seriously get better at playing and stick with. It's kind of a neat feeling, and I'm sure it'll be rewarded by tighter play.

When first dabbling in competitive standard I put Tempered Steel together, which put me a good way toward having Affinity. Did alright with transitional versions of the deck, and now I have a bit of a rep in the smaller groups I'm in.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

a dozen swans posted:

Dredge because Dread Return is the single best magic card ever made.

Also because I can't justify buying cradles to myself but I'd totally learn to play with some green men if I had some cradles.

Creature-based combo that has a beatdown plan is just cool.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 6, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

gang sines posted:

Because concept artists cut every corner possible to shove out hundreds of images. :v:

Veyrall posted:

Where did you find this?
It's on the Wizards site. Arcana are fun!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

a dozen swans posted:

I play tron, because 7 mana on turn 3 makes me feel like a god and when Karn resolves it always puts a goofy grin on my face. I can also socket in crazy punishing 7 mana artifact creatures like sundering titan, or steel hellkite and put the fear into my opponent. You can even get cute with the lands like a one off lanowar waste to cast slaughter games from the side board. Going from G/r tron to mono blue to B/W is also a route I can take fairly easily.

In legacy, I'm working on getting something grixis delver related going, but right now I just have my manaless dredge locked in.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

bhsman posted:

Woah man, what is he feeding that horse? :v:

Beefarino

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

a dozen swans posted:

Merfolk and UWR control. Because I already owned the cards, and am a cheap bastard.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Yawgmoth posted:

Aside from the fact that this is just a really lovely opinion for you to have, ignoring the problem is a fantastic way to make sure it never gets solved. And it's absolutely a problem.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

a dozen swans posted:

Started with Living End and Breakfast Burrito in Modern and Legacy, respectively, due to how relatively cheap they were to assemble (I was able to use my FTV Jace to get a few copies of Verdant Catacombs to start off and Avalanche Riders did a decent Fulminator Mage impression until I finally got my playset about half a year later).

I still have Living End due to how consistent is can play against a wide range of decks, but I've slowly started to accrue pieces for Melira/AngelPod, Legacy Dredge, and even Infect since I literally play at Tom Ross's FLGS.

For Standard I play Rabble Red just due to having a playset assembled when they were cheap so the rest of the deck was easy to assemble and likes to give me 4-1 finishes at FNM from time to time.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

a dozen swans posted:

Infect in both modern and legacy. Because I hate fun, and love easy to disrupt combos. Also new Phyrexia is when I started playing again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

a dozen swans posted:

Stax. Because you'll play magic when I say you can and not a moment sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Froghammer posted:

Aside from the fact that this is just a really lovely opinion for you to have, ignoring the problem is a fantastic way to make sure it never gets solved. And it's absolutely a problem.

I am pretty sure that gross exaggeration and fake outrage doesn't solve it either.

• Locked thread