Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
why do we need to nerf items? its rng. sometimes you'll get something amazing, sometimes you wont. if this was an MMO or something, yeah. but its single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fact that you have a random chance of getting it does not change the fact that it pretty much means any run will be successful once you pick it up. There are some items, like in the original game, that should be changed not because they are very powerful (because you're right, there should be items like that), but because they make a hard game piss easy. When the game is not challenging anymore, the item is too powerful.

Of course none of this matters because they're not going to balance anything that actually needs it just like in the original game anyway.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 6, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Bee posted:

Turns out I'm not alone in my problem. More people have The Catacombs and The Necropolis than The Cellar. I'm starting to wonder if there's just some super rare boss fight I'm not seeing instead of Dingle, Monstro, Larry,and Gemini.

Maybe its Widow. I know I fought The Hollow one time.

I got the Cellar in Sheol.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

CJacobs posted:

The fact that you have a random chance of getting it does not change the fact that it pretty much means any run will be successful once you pick it up.

If you want to make the game harder, you don't have to pick it up. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to win.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm a little awed by the skill-level in here, but still: I just got this game, and keep getting creamed by Isaacs mom. Any good strategies?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Brackhar posted:

Azazel is super fun to play as. I almost feel like I'm cheating.

People keep saying this, but for me Azazel is literally unplayable. His attack fails to fire or does a single tiny blip better than 75% of the time.

Before anyone says anything: yes, I do know how Brimstone works and I am waiting until it's charged.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

With the new seed system you can do some really interesting things. I've been playing against a friend to see who can get further and we've been throwing good seeds at each other and challenging each other with awful ones. So... What's the worse seed anybody's found so far?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Had a killer Eden run, beat the boss rush and everything, but died right at the same moment I killed Mom's Heart. I got the heart icon on the character select screen but I don't think I got any of the associated unlocks, not really sure though

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I'm a little awed by the skill-level in here, but still: I just got this game, and keep getting creamed by Isaacs mom. Any good strategies?

I find that the rocks in the room get in the way - try to bait her stomp to clear out as many rocks as possible so you don't get caught on them. Bombs can be used on the doors to do extra damage to her and work pretty well with the stomp. If telegraphs are too hectic to pay attention to just keep moving while staying away from the four doors. Either way if your mobility isn't restricted the fight becomes a lot easier.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Jedit posted:

People keep saying this, but for me Azazel is literally unplayable. His attack fails to fire or does a single tiny blip better than 75% of the time.

Before anyone says anything: yes, I do know how Brimstone works and I am waiting until it's charged.

Same here.

I really hope they patch in mouse aiming.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

A difference from the flash version is that you can't immediately start charging once you're actively firing. Doing so truncates the burst, so you've got to let it run its course before starting to charge the next shot if you want full damage. This gave me problems for a bit as well, because it's completely different to how Brim was handled before.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The fact that you have a random chance of getting it does not change the fact that it pretty much means any run will be successful once you pick it up. There are some items, like in the original game, that should be changed not because they are very powerful (because you're right, there should be items like that), but because they make a hard game piss easy. When the game is not challenging anymore, the item is too powerful.

Of course none of this matters because they're not going to balance anything that actually needs it just like in the original game anyway.

dont pick it up then? this just seems like a silly thing to even want. what about those people who've not unlocked them yet and would like some fun? not every last thing needs balance.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I unlocked a challenge where you have Ipecac and My Reflection. That looks like fun. :stare:

Edit. The buff to Whore of Babylon makes Eve a lot stronger. 1 red heart is a lot easier to maintain than running entirely on Spirit Hearts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VideoGames posted:

dont pick it up then? this just seems like a silly thing to even want. what about those people who've not unlocked them yet and would like some fun? not every last thing needs balance.

"Then don't pick it up" is not an applicable argument because this is not a game where you know what items do before you pick them up. In order to know what it does you have to pick it up and use it and if it's crazy OP then you will pick it up every time you see it which will affect your playstyle to the point where, if you can make the game incredibly easy, you will do so because this is a difficult game otherwise. Balancing the items in question won't make the game less fun, they'll make the game more varied.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not really fun though, it's just "You have 12 health".

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Thank god for continues. My game crashed when I played a fortune teller but then I was able to continue!

It's interesting to see I get the exact same results from a slot machine.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Bogart posted:

Lil' Brimstone is the best all-around pickup, right? Love that dude.

Lil'haunt is my bff. Soo good

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I hate to say this, but the dark bum might need a slight nerf. Maybe make it so it takes 3-5 hearts per soul heart or something.

Making it one third to one fifth as good isn't a slight nerf it's a crippling.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I have a soft spot for Dry Baby even without the cheesy rear end combos you can use with him. Something fun about just throwing him in harm's way for profit.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

drunken officeparty posted:

The bone shooter guys are the loving worst. I hate them so much.

What's worse is when they pop out of the sad-faced guys that leave little blood trails. You get close to kill them and get a skeleton to the face.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Tear bombs combined with anarchist cookbook is crazy town banana pants. I rode that poo poo to glory. That combo one hit every floor boss I fought with it except for mom's heart. And the mom's heart fight was a cinch because broken clock triggered.

The new combos in this game are amazing.

Jaff
Aug 25, 2004

goferchan posted:

Had a killer Eden run, beat the boss rush and everything, but died right at the same moment I killed Mom's Heart. I got the heart icon on the character select screen but I don't think I got any of the associated unlocks, not really sure though

I saw someone say that when they ran into a similar situation they were able to get the unlocks by going into the menu and watching the ending which should have played from there. Don't know if it only works in specific situations or what but probably worth a try.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

Are you holding the attack button while firing? Cause that resets the attack entirely and forces you to charge it up again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if the demon bum was changed to take two hearts for every soul heart it would still be really good without being 'you're never going to run out of health ever'

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Instead of calling for nerfs, just exercise some self control and don't take whatever items you feel make things too easy.

That's really the answer. Saying it isn't is more a problem on your side than the game.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 6, 2014

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

"Then don't pick it up" is not an applicable argument because this is not a game where you know what items do before you pick them up. In order to know what it does you have to pick it up and use it and if it's crazy OP then you will pick it up every time you see it which will affect your playstyle to the point where, if you can make the game incredibly easy, you will do so because this is a difficult game otherwise. Balancing the items in question won't make the game less fun, they'll make the game more varied.

so you pick it up, remember what it is, then dont. this is not rocket science.

the rng has something like 450 items. sometimes it will be there, sometimes not. you need items that have great effects alongside items that dont. if you HAVE to pick it up each time you see it then you need to realise you have will power issues.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Soul Converter and Guppy's Paw work pretty well together. Almost maxed out my health and I had the Goat's Head so I had an incredible Lazarus by the time I hit Womb 1. Unfortunately I found a dice room and rerolled into a 1 damage cat with homing bombs and Daddy Longlegs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol, a player having "will power issues" or whatever you're saying does not suddenly make the item not an instant win button. I get the feeling that no matter what I say, my earlier point of "it does not matter if it appears randomly, overpowered is overpowered" is just not going to be addressed. Yes, it is true, you don't HAVE to pick the item up and you could just walk by it but even if you don't use it, the item is still overpowered for everyone who does pick it up and it should not be that way. Powerful items = good, items that almost make losing impossible = bad.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Just tweak the item rarities.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Lol, a player having "will power issues" or whatever you're saying does not suddenly make the item not an instant win button. I get the feeling that no matter what I say, my earlier point of "it does not matter if it appears randomly, overpowered is overpowered" is just not going to be addressed. Yes, it is true, you don't HAVE to pick the item up and you could just walk by it but even if you don't use it, the item is still overpowered for everyone who does pick it up and it should not be that way. Powerful items = good, items that almost make losing impossible = bad.

Yeah man, we need balance in this single player game because of the unfair advantages some items offer other players.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

I find that the rocks in the room get in the way - try to bait her stomp to clear out as many rocks as possible so you don't get caught on them. Bombs can be used on the doors to do extra damage to her and work pretty well with the stomp. If telegraphs are too hectic to pay attention to just keep moving while staying away from the four doors. Either way if your mobility isn't restricted the fight becomes a lot easier.

Thanks, I'll give it another go once I'm done cursing from my last run.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skaw posted:

Yeah man, we need balance in this single player game because of the unfair advantages some items offer other players.

Or the unfair advantages over the game's own difficulty curve??? I dunno maybe I'm just one of those weirdos who hates when a difficult game gets instantly trivialized.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

items that almost make losing impossible = bad.

Heaven forbid there's like one of these to the three or four that make winning nigh impossible, or at least totally cripple a run.

E: I can sort of understand it being an issue if it's frequent enough that it makes it easy to trivialize a lot of runs, but I haven't seen this item yet?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Or the unfair advantages over the game's own difficulty curve???

Which can be avoided by..

Sometimes you'll get bad runs that can only be salvaged by items like dark bum. The game throws people bones all the time, just in different forms.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJacobs posted:

Or the unfair advantages over the game's own difficulty curve??? I dunno maybe I'm just one of those weirdos who hates when a difficult game gets instantly trivialized.

sometimes i forget that there's people who enjoy using the boring one hit kill ultimate item or whatever in games and it weirds me out when i remember

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

PureQuestion posted:

Oh.

poo poo.

Where? How?

You probably figured this out but since you weren't quoted the spoiler posts directly below yours answered that by sheer coincidence. It's crazy.

I haven't been able to get the achievement for no damaging the chest to pop up, so I fear we are meant to beat Mega Satan to get that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Dark Bum is terrible when you have a lot of heart containers and few drops. Every item has its niche, and with how low the drop rates can go it certainly isn't a total instant victory.

Also if the above poster is right I guess I'm kissing my chances of real platinum god goodbye.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus trivialized the last game. I don't really see an issue with super powerful but rare items. If it's so powerful just make it extremely rare.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The Bee posted:

Dark Bum is terrible when you have a lot of heart containers and few drops. Every item has its niche, and with how low the drop rates can go it certainly isn't a total instant victory.

It's also not very good if you like leveraging spare red hearts for money or demon beggar items. I fall under that. I picked dark bum up once, for the collection completion.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Dark Bum is balanced in the fact that you only have limited heart slots anyways. If anything needs to be nerfed, it's Polyphemus. It can combo with any specific thing and carry you to victory.