Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

You really are certifiably insane.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trigger

I wasn't trying to make a rape joke you sick gently caress.
Um, the very second example given there is about rape. The first one is about racism. Which one where you making a joke about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

Since when is it still funny if it refers to rape, sexual abuse, etc.? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

That's what the term initially meant, but it's kind of been co-opted by tumblr to refer to literally anything you find objectionable in any way, which is presumably the usage he's mocking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

a dozen swans posted:

What do you all play, and why?

Legacy I played Reanimator, Stoneblade, Dredge, Nic Fit, Goblins, and Omnitell.

Modern I played UWR, 4 colour Gifts and Pod.

My brother in law started playing well before I did and had a big collection of old duals and stuff, so I bought whatever cards I could afford (on a student budget and all :v) to complement the cards he had. Reanimator was the first thing I built (turned out the deck was mostly kinda cheap after you take Forces, Fetches, and Seas out of the equation), and generally I'd go look at starcity to see decks that placed, whether or not he or I had a lot of cards for it and get the rest from there.

He let me know last week he's selling his collection though, so that number's probably getting pared down by a lot since there's no way in hell I can afford duals. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

That's what the term initially meant, but it's kind of been co-opted by tumblr to refer to literally anything you find objectionable in any way, which is presumably the usage he's mocking.

Yeah and I can even see that argument, but if you want folks to look charitably and in good spirits on your usage of it as a joke, the time to do so probably isn't when you're trying to shut down the mention of legitimate issues in the MTG community.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Zoness posted:

Dredge because Dread Return is the single best magic card ever made.

Also because I can't justify buying cradles to myself but I'd totally learn to play with some green men if I had some cradles.

Creature-based combo that has a beatdown plan is just cool.

I play vintage goblins because I cracked a lotus and the next most expensive cards were food chain, two moxen and a grip of wastelands. Creature based combo that turns dudes sideways is the coolest.

I might branch out into legacy goblins but the deck is a little underpowered in that format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lancelot posted:

Um, the very second example given there is about rape. The first one is about racism. Which one where you making a joke about?

Its like you read only what you wanted to read and totally ignored the rest.

Equilibrium posted:

If you don't double sleeve, Ultra Pros are the best. Best seal, best shuffle, and the most consistent cut. Some of them will split but whatever, they're cheap, just replace the bad ones. That mass drop is a good deal but if you prefer the clears you can get 200 for $10 on Amazon.

I have been wanting to try something new out because I need new sleeves. My biggest issue is that especially in standard I have decks that share cards between them and its usually so much easier to do when they are all in the same sleeves but expensive as gently caress to keep everything in the same sleeves if I want to change.

JerryLee posted:

Yeah and I can even see that argument, but if you want folks to look charitably and in good spirits on your usage of it as a joke, the time to do so probably isn't when you're trying to shut down the mention of legitimate issues in the MTG community.

If you can't mock someone for posting "Oh and you're ashamed of your gender because guys intrinsically have power and often want to pretend they don't while abusing it to the fullest" in a magic the gathering thread then I am ashamed of the states of things.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 6, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Legacy I played Reanimator, Stoneblade, Dredge, Nic Fit, Goblins, and Omnitell.

Modern I played UWR, 4 colour Gifts and Pod.

Whats the gifts list you played? I've started grabbing pieces for a gifts deck thinking I might try one, U/W gifts tron being the most common one I see mentioned online.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

a bunch of jerks posted:

:tvtropes:

... So... how about that next set? What do you guys hope to see in it?

The set's only going to have 1 Planeswalker. Will it be Ugin or will it be someone new? Or maybe it'll be a returning character with a new card?

I want there to be a cycle of lands in the style of Murmuring Bosk but that might be a bit too strong for Wizard's intentions of Standard because Fetches. Unless they can only enter tapped. That might be OK. Maybe?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

The set's only going to have 1 Planeswalker. Will it be Ugin or will it be someone new? Or maybe it'll be a returning character with a new card?

UR CHANDRA COME ON :argh:

Or maybe Bolas. I dunno.

Ugin is probably going to be alive in Dragons which seems like the best place to put his walker card.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Actually it's probably the perfect time because it effectively conveys the opinion that the people involved are being sanctimonious assholes engaging in a masturbatory political thread derailment rather than people who are genuinely interested in discussing a legitimate issue in good faith. You can question the validity of that opinion, but given that the response was to immediately begin shrieking about how the comment was disrespectful to rape victims and demanding that anyone who would voice such an offensive opinion justify themselves, I think the evidence points toward it having some degree of accuracy.

You have no idea how badly I wanted to use the word "hysterical" repeatedly but trolling isn't going to help

edit:

a dozen swans posted:

Okay, here's a question for the thread that isn't about misogyny: for those of you who play non-rotating formats, how did you end up playing the deck you play now? Was it the first deck you started with? Did you switch over time, possibly dramatically? What about it appealed to you?

I've kind of flitted from deck to deck over time, but I finally feel like my current deck is the one I want to seriously get better at playing and stick with. It's kind of a neat feeling, and I'm sure it'll be rewarded by tighter play.

What do you all play, and why?
I mostly play Legacy, currently BUG Delver. I have a lot of other decks that I can put together (all the other Delvers, burn, storm combo, Solidarity, some random tier 2-3 things I'm forgetting like Affinity, old decks that are now banned like Survival, and I'm currently working on Miracles) but that's what I usually play. I've been playing Legacy since it was 1.5, and I've found I usually enjoy playing some variant of aggro-control the most. I think it's really just about having game against as many decks as possible and getting to interact/make relevant decision in almost every matchup. This has evolved over time from Counter-Sliver, to Canadian Thresh, etc. and I've certainly played a lot of other archetypes, but that's what I keep coming back to as my preferred deck archetype. BUG appeared to be the best version of Delver when I started playing again most recently, so that's what I updated my old Canadian threshold list to.

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 6, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

I want there to be a cycle of lands in the style of Murmuring Bosk but that might be a bit too strong for Wizard's intentions of Standard because Fetches. Unless they can only enter tapped. That might be OK. Maybe?

I like Bosk, but Khans isn't having a strong tribal theme, outside of Dragons, so far, so I doubt we'll see the cycle this block. Next one maybe? And we'll still have fetches I presume.

Count Bleck posted:

Ugin is probably going to be alive in Dragons which seems like the best place to put his walker card.

That seems the most likely outcome, although I can't help but feel that we'll be getting Ugin hype in Fate Reforged.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cernunnos posted:

I'm hoping they print some stuff that helps enable non-green devotion strategies in standard again, though mostly because I'd like better stuff for my cube in that category. A lot of the gods are ... Not as powerful as I'd like.

Failing that, the template for temur khan could lead to some really cool cards.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
...What the gently caress did I just read?! You all are nuts, I tell you!

On a weak attempt at getting this back on topic - I need some semi-serious and fun casual format to inflict upon my friends, since Commander and Modern are starting to grow a bit stale for me. Cube was fun, but it's surprisingly hard to find enough people at the store willing to draft.

Maybe I'll give Type 4 another try, that was some fun insanity right there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Whats the gifts list you played? I've started grabbing pieces for a gifts deck thinking I might try one, U/W gifts tron being the most common one I see mentioned online.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5176&d=229848&f=MO something like this list, the last time I played it was right before the Deathrite ban, I think it's still around, just switched Deathrite out for Birds.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm not trying to roll my eyes or pretend its unimportant. It's just such a waste of energy.

If having a good community is something you care about please join us in the Judge Program

http://apps.magicjudges.org/

It's not all rules and running tournaments, there is a big focus on improving the community, inclusivity has been a topic covered at every Judge conference I've been to. You don't have to pass any tests or need anything other than an interest in making a positive contribution to get started and start helping your local community be better in a lot of ways. Please don't waste your time arguing on a tiny corner of the internet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

We're getting a Bolas, if not in that set then before the end of this block and I'd :toxx: on that.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Picking up this conversation:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When is that aspect of black reflected in the cards, though?
"Black is totally about being the guy who runs the factory" doesn't hold much water when this is a card game and the cards say nothing of the sort.

I think it's fine for a fantasy card game to have a black magic color of evil, I just think it's dumb that Maro pretends that black totally isn't about being evil and is really a philosophical viewpoint about ethics in games journalism capitalism or whatever when black cards are overwhelmingly about demons and zombies and hatred and murder and villainy. The demon-summoning isn't on the side, it's the main course.

What do black cards look like at common? Do they look like investors, or vampires?

Madmarker posted:

The Cabal is the closest thing to the whole mercantile thing. They were a money making organization, for the benefit of a god baby, that used demons, and dementia summoners, and just about anyone to make money through the "Pit Fights". The various Pit Fighters are all represented. You can see it on some onslaught/odyssey flavor text as well. Albeit minimally.

They have done a disservice to black by only representing the creepy crawly evil side of it, but capitalism/objectivism is also a part of its pie.

Lancelot posted:

I think it's the same deal as with red — they both have a "nice" side, but when you're depicting a battle between two all-powerful wizards, you tend to represent the more aggressive and powerful side of the colour.

Representations of Black's interaction with commerce in the past three expert sets:

C:
Grey Merchant of Asphodel
Treasure Cruise (as part of the Black clan, including their mechanic and watermark)
Bane Alley Blackguard
5 creatures with Extort (see e.g. and particularly Syndic of Tithes)

UC:
Underworld Coinsmith
Opulent Palace
Cartel Aristocrat
Bane Alley Broker
Debt to the Deathless
Profit // Loss
Treasured Find
Tavern Swindler
3 creatures with Extort (see e.g. and particularly Knight of Obligation)

R:
Villainous Wealth
Alms Beast
Soul Ransom
4 permanents with Extort (see e.g. and particularly Treasury Thrull)

It's not overwhelming by any means, but it is a noticeable little subtheme, especially since they actually gave it its own mechanic. On that note, the Orzhov are a very good demonstration of Black's concern with wealth, probably better than the Cabal. Like Red being the colour of artistry, creativity, and love, there's only so much you can represent it in the fighty-cards-game, but they are making an effort to do so. It's quite verifiably more than just MaRo cursorily spouting off stuff to make Black seem deeper than assumed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

UR CHANDRA COME ON :argh:

Or maybe Bolas. I dunno.

I think they want to keep some of the main 'walkers mono colored just so they can have them be defining characters of that color. I'd be hugely surprised if we get a multicolor Chandra, Jace or Liliana any time soon. Then again they made GB Garruk and WR / WG Ajani, so who knows?

I think everyone is expecting Ugin and Bolas planeswalker cards this block. The safe money's on Ugin, Bolas, and one or two random new characters like they like to throw in every block a la Domri / Tamiyo / Tibalt / Ashiok / Kiora / etc.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The thing is that Ajani is still the posterboy white walker.

After having two multicolored cards.

Chandra seems like a smart girl, she'll probably find a way to incorporate burn into blue.

Mind Bomb as a - ability seems like a good start.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
When we played in the 90s there wasn't decks like there are now per se, but I played a preacher/hell's caretaker/crown of the ages/control magic deck that basically stole your creatures and sacrificed them to bring my big creatures from the graveyard. It was basically reanimator before it was actually a thing.

When I got back in right after scars of mirrodin I played legacy Affinity. Then moved over to legacy jund with RTR release. In modern I put together Martyr Proc and Meliera Pod.

Now I just play Jund and commander. Although I am probably going to put together a home brew I call Mardu Gras for standard this time around to take a legacy break.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-gras/

This is Mardu Gras.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 6, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lancelot posted:

most likely he was making a joke involving the increasingly ridiculous ways that 'trigger' is being used by tumblr et al but sure let's all preen and show that "no, it is me that is the most against rape"

re colorchat: i think the best way to use black as a good guy is to show it as representing death as the natural way of things. this was briefly touched upon in theros and is best represented by the golgari recently. you could definitely get some mileage out of the rest of the colors in a setting trying to overcome or subvert death at any cost and causing all sort of hosed up poo poo while black is all off smoking a bowl and going "yo we all gonna die eventually so why don't we just chill and enjoy ourselves till it comes"

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 6, 2014

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Sickening posted:

I have always been burned on ultra pro, are the mattes actually useable?

They have cheaper lines which I think is where they get most of their reputation from, but the Pro-Mat series is actually quite nice. My buddy uses them for his cube and after many sessions with tons of shuffling they still feel incredibly nice and I don't think a single one has split.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Why are you running Brave the Sands?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

I think everyone is expecting Ugin and Bolas planeswalker cards this block. The safe money's on Ugin, Bolas, and one or two random new characters like they like to throw in every block a la Domri / Tamiyo / Tibalt / Ashiok / Kiora / etc.

If they do Ugin and Bolas in this block then there's only room for 1 new character since they want to stick to 5 Walkers per block.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm guessing just Ugin in Fate Reforged, then Bolas and Random McOtherguy in Dragons o' Tarkir.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I'd like to see them give U/W control some better tools in the next set, but without printing stupid cards like Supreme Verdict or Sphinx's Revelation. It's a tough line to walk. Bring back Deprive.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Entropic posted:

Why are you running Brave the Sands?

Vigilance block a bunch of stuff. It has done work for me in certain games and it counts as a non creature spell for the prowess guys.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

He's also lumping in people who want girls to be able to play a card game without getting harassed with that crowd. It's completely disingenuous to equate "Hey man, maybe Magic players should be less lovely to girls" with "TRIGGER WARNING: ABELISM".

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

I'm guessing just Ugin in Fate Reforged, then Bolas and Random McOtherguy in Dragons o' Tarkir.

Could they do another Sarkhan, one that is sane and doesn't have voices in his head all the time? Has there ever been a walker that had two versions in one block?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Vigilance block a bunch of stuff. It has done work for me in certain games and it counts as a non creature spell for the prowess guys.

If you just replaced them with removal spells you'd still be triggering prowess and wouldn't need to worry about blocking and would be getting more damage through.

Equilibrium posted:

I'd like to see them give U/W control some better tools in the next set, but without printing stupid cards like Supreme Verdict or Sphinx's Revelation. It's a tough line to walk. Bring back Deprive.

A Wall of Omens or Spreading Seas reprint would go a long way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Could they do another Sarkhan, one that is sane and doesn't have voices in his head all the time? Has there ever been a walker that had two versions in one block?

Xenagos :v:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Why are people so keen on Chandra becoming UR? We already have two UR walkers, one of which also has some burn in his arsenal, and Chandra's persistently and defiantly not-Blue whenever we see her. "Not everything has to make sense" is a pretty good way of declaring yourself unimpressed by that colour.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-online-known-issues

Wizards made a known issues list that they're going to update weekly.

Related! How the gently caress did they break Carnophage?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Chorocojo posted:

Turns out when you're competing with Microsoft and Amazon and poo poo the only programmers you can get that accept their pay half in cash, half in cheetohs are real bad and not good.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Sickening posted:

Nibble posted:

They have cheaper lines which I think is where they get most of their reputation from, but the Pro-Mat series is actually quite nice. My buddy uses them for his cube and after many sessions with tons of shuffling they still feel incredibly nice and I don't think a single one has split.

Pro Mattes are the best of Ultra Pro's sleeve offerings, but in my experience the level of quality is different depending on what color you get. I use the black ones for limited and can get maybe 3-4 months out of a set of 100 (I bring 50 sleeved lands with me) playing ~6 events per month before they start falling apart and/or become too gross with LGS goop and they're cheap enough for that not to be a big deal. I tried orange and some other color when my store was having a shortage on black and the orange ones were splitting day one and only lasted me like two weeks and the other color (neon green?) only lasted about a month. I vastly prefer KMC Hyper Mattes and will probably switch over to them for limited once I get around to buying a case of them from Potomac Distribution. I already use them with KMC Perfect Fits on all my constructed decks and they last forever without getting all marked up on the back. I think I've split 2 of them out of 2 100 card decks and 4 60 card decks and the really old ones clean up fairly nice once they get really grimy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chorocojo posted:

I've stopped being surprised at the random poo poo they break in their updates.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Turns out when you're competing with Microsoft and Amazon and poo poo the only programmers you can get that accept their pay half in cash, half in cheetohs are real bad and not good.

It was working fine previously and it hasn't received errata since Sixth Edition! They literally had to NOT TOUCH IT. Did adding it to Vintage Masters somehow break it? I really wish I could see the backend of stuff and see how cards are individually handled.

This is on the level of only the Modern Masters version of Blinding Beam being broken but not the Duel Decks or Mirrodin versions.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

I've stopped being surprised at the random poo poo they break in their updates.
I try to remember the worst random mtgo poo poo but nothing comes to me. I close my eyes and concentrate, but nothing really comes to mind except a tiny voice whispering 'leagues' over and over.

It has gotten bad lately though, I mean the Fate Spinner bug was basically reproduced twice recently?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

They are better than the other ultra pros but still not as good KMC's imo. After I had 5 UPM's break at a ptq and a couple cards got damaged I'm never useing them again. KMC Mattes are the best.

Ravnica's storyline in both cases was also "Dimir does dickish evil things that don't benefit them in any way just for the sake of being evil." For everyone like Sorin or Umezawa, there are several dozen like Liliana, black-Garruk, Bolas, Ob Nixilis, Griselbrand, Yawgmoth, Lazav, Szadek. And that's just looking at the big, named characters. What do black cards look like at common? Do they look like investors, or vampires?

Wasn't Dimir's role in original ravnica defined by the guildpact as the ones trying to break the guildpact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

"General | Blinding Beam can't be cast with entwine —fixed 11/5"
WAIT, DID IT BREAK AGAIN?

I wonder if that "Cancel acts like hitting OK" bug being fixed is what broke Carnophage.
:psyduck:

• Locked thread