Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

ChaosArgate posted:

Good luck finding Metroid Prime Trilogy for cheaper. That's how much it was new, but it was explicitly a limited print run so that game fetches some crazy high prices.

Yeah this is normal for every place I've seen them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It would actually go for $120+ until GameStop ordered a non-steelbook reprint of it last year same time as Xenoblade.

That said, Prime 1 is one of the raddest games ever made, 2 is great also, and 3 is a really good game too though I feel it suffered like Skyward Sword from having very kind of bland small "overworlds" on each planet before you could get into the meat of each area. The art design in general is just as good as Prime 1 and 2 though. Great graphics too, Retro used every trick in the book, and they're locked at 60FPS which helps them hold up. If I spent $50 on all three today I wouldn't regret it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

All the primes own but especially 1 and 3

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While the new controls are nice, if you have the capability of playing GC games you can get the entire trilogy for like less than $30

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

axleblaze posted:

While the new controls are nice, if you have the capability of playing GC games you can get the entire trilogy for like less than $30

Prime 3 is a wii exclusive though...

E: I'm dumb. He could buy 1 and 2 for the GC. He should do that cause the motion controls in 3 suck and every day I wish I could play it with a GC controller. Prime 1'and 2 are the pinnacle of console FPS controls.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 6, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh I know. i just assumed if you were looking for Trilogy you could play Wii games. You can also get MP3 on it's own for like less than $10.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wildtortilla posted:

E: I'm dumb. He could buy 1 and 2 for the GC. He should do that cause the motion controls in 3 suck and every day I wish I could play it with a GC controller. Prime 1'and 2 are the pinnacle of console FPS controls.

Pfft. The motion controls are cool, you can shoot missiles around corners and poo poo.

The original print of the first game is the best, though. You can exploit tons of ridiculous glitches in it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fremry posted:

Anybody know a place to get Super Mario Galaxy 2 at not stupid prices? I was walking by a Gamestop, and it's still $30 used there.

Edit: Also, that gamestop had 3 copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy for $50.

I think I've seen the greatest hits version of Galaxy 2 at Walmart for $20, or that may have been Galaxy 1, I can't remember. Either way, $30 for Galaxy 2 is worth it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

One thing to keep in mind is that Prime Trilogy is widescreen and depending on your tv it may look a lot better than the original MP1 and 2. In my experience Wii games look a lot better upscaled through the Wii U than through the Wii, which puts out a component signal and lets your tv do the rest.. I'd imagine they would compare similarly well to GameCube games which would have to use either a GameCube or Wii.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 6, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm pretty sure they updated the textures in MP1 and 2 for the Wii ports, as well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I'm pretty sure they updated the textures in MP1 and 2 for the Wii ports, as well.

And got rid of the cool weapon effects on your gun arm.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

Good luck finding Metroid Prime Trilogy for cheaper. That's how much it was new, but it was explicitly a limited print run so that game fetches some crazy high prices.

It's worth $50

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mr E posted:

And got rid of the cool weapon effects on your gun arm.

They were removed in Prime 1 because by Retro's own admission the effects were half-assed (they were applied to a part of the screen itself rather than the gun), which was fixed for Prime 2 and accordingly the effects are still in Prime 2 Trilogy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Prime 1 is worth $50 on its own. It's one of the best games of all time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really need to play those. I own the Trilogy boxset but I've only barely begun Prime. I think I got up to the snow part.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

Fremry posted:

Anybody know a place to get Super Mario Galaxy 2 at not stupid prices? I was walking by a Gamestop, and it's still $30 used there.

Check Family Video if you can. If they still have multiple copies of it they'll probably sell you one of the spares for $10.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Edit: ^^^^^^- I'm in Philly and we don't have any.

I knew Prime was expensive. I brought up that they had 3 copies in case anyone has had trouble finding a copy, because Gamestop.com doesn't have them. I'm still surprised about Mario Galaxy 2 since it wasn't a limited run. I'm probably just gonna grab a copy off of eBay. The going rate there seems to be $20.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 6, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Galaxy 2 is expensive because Nintendo stuff holds its value for a really long time. Super Mario 64 DS is probably still $30+ and that game's like 10 years old.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm sure a goon would be willing to sell SMG2 to somebody in the games trade thread in SA-Mart.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

I'm sure a goon would be willing to sell SMG2 to somebody in the games trade thread in SA-Mart.

I actually went into SAMart and looked for threads selling Wii games. I didn't even think to go there. Thanks!

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Galaxy 2 is expensive because Nintendo stuff holds its value for a really long time. Super Mario 64 DS is probably still $30+ and that game's like 10 years old.

I've seen the original Super Mario 64 being sold for $25 or more at a used store I go to occasionally. Not sure if that's a common price for it since they also have really random prices sometimes. They have Prime Trilogy there for around $75 to $80 usually as well.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Metroid Prime Trilogy for $50 is a steal. You get all three Prime games for the price of one game. I'd jump on that poo poo if I were you. Don't expect Mario Galaxy 2 to drop in price either, the really good Nintendo games don't really drop in value as time goes by, ever noticed how expensive Pokemon games are even if they were last gen?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ChaosArgate posted:

From what I know of what former Gamestop employees have told me, people just don't trade in Nintendo games. At least not NEARLY as much as the other systems' games. Nintendo games have a way higher attachment rate so they typically aren't overflowing with used Nintendo stuff

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Any particular reason that Fire Emblem:Path of Radiance would be like 60-70 bucks then? It it simply because Ike being in the new Smash Bros raised demand?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Any particular reason that Fire Emblem:Path of Radiance would be like 60-70 bucks then? It it simply because Ike being in the new Smash Bros raised demand?

it's because its the best Fire Emblem in the series, and there probably aren't that many copies lying around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Same as any other game that goes for actual money on eBay, limited print run and some sort of desirability, in this case being part of a cult series of SRPG's.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

They should re-release the MP Trilogy for the Wii u or something so I could actually buy it in Australia.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
A GameStop near me had a buy 2 get 1. I got Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade for 100, and got Fire Emblem for 10. So total it came out to a bit over 35 for each game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm still mad that my Prime Trilogy steelbook got stolen, especially because I got absurdly lucky in that I got it for $20 new.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
What accessories would you recommend for someone about to get a Wii U?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

hamsystem posted:

At least 1 Wii Motion+, a nunchuck and a Wii U Pro Controller.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
lol why does it prompt you make a nintendo network id before the multiple updates required to make one

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

:psyduck:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

lol why does it prompt you make a nintendo network id before the multiple updates required to make one

This confused the heck out of me. Between this and random connectivity problems it was a hassle getting the Wii U set up, but things have been better since :)

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

hamsystem posted:

If you plan on using original Wii functionality, you can get a Wii Remote+ and Nunchuck Combo from the Nintendo Store for $25, which is great if you don't already have one. Otherwise definitely pick up a Wii U Pro Controller, it's one of the best controllers I've used and I don't think I've had to recharge it since I got it. Also, if you plan on downloading a lot of stuff you may want to get a Y-Cable and external hard drive. Finally, if you're in NA and planning on getting Smash U you can preorder it from Toys R' Us and get a free Amiibo.

Hope you enjoy your Wii U! What games are you starting off with?

TheRam posted:

Hello. Swapper releases today, or just released. I don't know, it's 4am. I finished my review of it, and it'll be available here: http://youtu.be/RQ2R0AcLuAs (1080p soon)

tl;dr - unique puzzling, tricksy and satisfying. Reminiscent of those nice quiet science fiction movies with kind of creepy plots, it's pretty hard to tl;dr, I liked it a lot. It's pretty expensive though! :10bux: (x2)

If Moon is your favorite movie, you've got drat good taste. This seems really interesting, and I agree that I haven't seem a puzzle game use a bodyswapping mechanic like this before. Good to see Sci-Fi stuff of this style. Also, thanks for not spoiling the plot, but it would have been good to hear more detail about the setup and premise at the start.

And as a side note, anyone who said the Metroid Prime Trilogy is worth $50+ has good opinions about games and should feel good.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

the 32 gig console only has 10 loving gigs free are you kidding me

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

lmao im retarded nvm

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
You sound angry

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
If you have any interest at all in digital games, just go ahead and get an external. Bayo 1 and 2 alone are too big for the poor thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

:psyduck:

• Locked thread