Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SIHappiness posted:

Yes, your speed will be theoretically the quickest using the GigE card. However, depending on how old this laptop is, your hard drive may be a limiting factor. When you're speaking about a 100Mbps ethernet port, the age makes me think that something around 400Mbps write to the laptop might be the functional limit.

Also, your description makes it seem like ethernet is readily accessible for the laptop (or maybe you're dragging it into the other room, transferring files, and then replacing it?). You should absolutely be using ethernet over powerline or wifi; the potential for interference that slows your connection is far higher with powerline and wifi.

Yeah I dragged the laptop into the room where I can hook up a direct wired connection. Come to think of it, that may just be a better option for speed until I can get in the attic to run a cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

zachol posted:

Seriously Minneapolis is like a tropical beach compared to north-central Minnesota. The snow itself and the poo poo you do to get around it is a million times worse than the cold.
Actually now that I think about it, that would probably be the most dangerous part about moving to Minneapolis, if you're intending to drive a lot and aren't used to driving in freezing slush.

http://neighborshame.com/fargo-man-arrested-clearing-snow-flamethrower/

quote:

Fox stated that he was simply “fed up with battling the elements” and that he did not possess the willpower necessary to move “four billion tons of white bull poo poo.”

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Last winter we got a humidifier to use in our bedroom at night. I brought it out again Sunday, and it's been causing our bedroom window to get a lot of condensation on it. Neither my wife nor I remember this happening last year. The only thing that I can think of that's changed is we moved from well water to city water. What could be causing all the condensation?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Last winter we got a humidifier to use in our bedroom at night. I brought it out again Sunday, and it's been causing our bedroom window to get a lot of condensation on it. Neither my wife nor I remember this happening last year. The only thing that I can think of that's changed is we moved from well water to city water. What could be causing all the condensation?

Mind control drugs, obviously.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

zachol posted:

October is the proper time for snow to start.
Living in Portland this fall I am absolutely freaked by how warm it still is. Even 60 degrees in the evening? Craziness.

Welcome to Portland! Come hang out in the good thread and maybe IRC :)

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Try giving it a good cleaning, maybe?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

hooah posted:

Is there a notable difference between the temperature inside or outside versus last year? Temperature differentials are usually the main culprit for condensation.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

KnifeWrench posted:

Is there a notable difference between the temperature inside or outside versus last year? Temperature differentials are usually the main culprit for condensation.

There is, but it's nowhere near as cold as it got last winter. I'll give it a good cleaning tomorrow, since I did neglect to do that Sunday.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I'm speculating but my guess would be that you have the cold differential required to form condensation as much now as you did in January of last year--the key difference is the air isn't as dry now in November as it is in January.

I'm making the numbers up, but let's say you require 30% humidity in the air based on a constant barometric pressure to start condensing:
In November, you're adding 10% to air which is 25% thus putting you past the condensation humidity % required.
In January, you're adding 10% to air which is 10%, which is under the 30% required.

EDIT:
Here are some numbers to back me up: http://www.shorstmeyer.com/wxfaqs/humidity/rh.html

In Minneapolis, relative humidity averaged over 34 years:
November
Morning-80 Afternoon-66
January
Morning-74 Afternoon-67

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
WARNING: LOTS OF MATH BELOW.

So my dad asked me if he should switch his christmas lights over to LEDs this year, and I decided to calculate what his savings would be if he did, because why not?

Can anyone look over these calculations and tell me if I'm missing anything? Or at the very least, it's a pretty interesting FYI.

-----------

existing bulbs: 7 watts each, replacement cost is $10 for a 25 pack. So let's assume you have 1000 total bulbs, and replace 10% each year, for $40 replacement cost/year.

LED bulbs: .037 watts each, purchase cost is $1 per bulb, so assuming 1000 bulbs, $1000.00. Let's also assume these things have a 10 year lifespan, but account for breakage each year of 25 bulbs, so $25/year extra.

1000 standard bulbs will produce 7 kw hours of energy.
1000 LED bulbs will produce .37 kw hours or energy.

-----------

Now. Energy cost in St. Charles, MO is around 6.3 cents per Kw hour.

That means it costs 44.1 cents per hour to run your standard lights.
The LED bulbs would cost 2.331 cents per hour to run.

-----------

Let's assume you run the bulbs from 6pm-12am 7 nights a week for two months: November 21-January 21

61 days x 6 hours per day = 366 total hours

So the total energy cost of running your standard bulbs is $161.41

The total cost of running your LED bulbs is $8.53

-----------

So if we add up the total costs over 10 years:

Standard bulbs:

energy: $1614.40
replacement: $400.00

LED bulbs:
energy: $85.30
original purchase: $1000.00
replacement: $250

-----------

So $2014.40 vs. 1335.30 per 1,000 bulbs over 10 years. Adjust as needed. You save about $70/year on average, with your break even coming about 5 years in.

From an energy standpoint, you will be saving about 24,265.8 kilowatt hours over the course of ten years, or 2 years worth of an average household's electricity usage.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

c0ldfuse posted:

Humidity stuff

That makes a lot of sense, and I hadn't even thought about when I got the humidifier last year (well after the first real snowfall). Thanks for that insight!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

So my dad asked me if he should switch his christmas lights over to LEDs this year, and I decided to calculate what his savings would be if he did, because why not?

Can anyone look over these calculations and tell me if I'm missing anything? Or at the very least, it's a pretty interesting FYI.

-----------

existing bulbs: 7 watts each, replacement cost is $10 for a 25 pack. So let's assume you have 1000 total bulbs, and replace 10% each year, for $40 replacement cost/year.

LED bulbs: .037 watts each, purchase cost is $1 per bulb, so assuming 1000 bulbs, $1000.00. Let's also assume these things have a 10 year lifespan, but account for breakage each year of 25 bulbs, so $25/year extra.

-----------

-----------

Let's assume you run the bulbs from 6pm-12am 7 nights a week for two months: November 21-January 21

-----------

Standard bulbs:

LED bulbs:

-----------

So $2014.40 vs. 1335.30 per 1,000 bulbs over 10 years. Adjust as needed. You save about $70/year on average, with your break even coming about 5 years in.

From an energy standpoint, you will be saving about 24,265.8 kilowatt hours over the course of ten years, or 2 years worth of an average household's electricity usage.

When you're talking about replacement, is that buying LED bulbs that fit into his existing strands or buying new strands full on, ones with LEDs already in? One of those might be cheaper than the other.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

RaoulDuke12 posted:

You're over-estimating LED cost. On Target's website I'm seeing $12 for a 60-light string.

Edit: I'm seeing you're talking replacements now. I guess that depends on what size you're replacing. I'm not sure the string ones I was referencing are meant for replacement, but I've been running one for awhile now without losing any lights. It looks like the replaceable kind are a lot bigger, which would factor in.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 6, 2014

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Nintendo Kid posted:

When you're talking about replacement, is that buying LED bulbs that fit into his existing strands or buying new strands full on, ones with LEDs already in? One of those might be cheaper than the other.

"dupersaurus posted:

You're over-estimating LED cost. On Target's website I'm seeing $12 for a 60-light string.

replacing c7 bulbs on existing strands. They change color too. These were specific bulbs he asked me about, so I did the estimate with those. The individual bulbs definitely need to be replaceable, and he has heavy duty strands that hold up to the weather/electrical draw (although I guess that wouldn't matter as much.) I suppose I could account for a decrease in the cost of LEDs over the course of 10 years, but since it's only $25/year worst case scenario it's not that big of a deal.

More than anything I'm trying to make sure I did the total electrical draw + cost of energy correctly.

Edit: and yeah, these are larger bulbs that cover the exterior of his house, and it gets really cold/windy/snowy in the winter so they need to be durable.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

replacing c7 bulbs on existing strands. They change color too. These were specific bulbs he asked me about, so I did the estimate with those. The individual bulbs definitely need to be replaceable, and he has heavy duty strands that hold up to the weather/electrical draw (although I guess that wouldn't matter as much.) I suppose I could account for a decrease in the cost of LEDs over the course of 10 years, but since it's only $25/year worst case scenario it's not that big of a deal.

More than anything I'm trying to make sure I did the total electrical draw + cost of energy correctly.

Edit: and yeah, these are larger bulbs that cover the exterior of his house, and it gets really cold/windy/snowy in the winter so they need to be durable.

Yeah there's newer heavy duty all LED strands out there he might use instead, which will use replaceable LED bulbs of a different type than the ones designed to fit into incandescent strands, but I've no idea what the price differences will be there. You might want to research that too so that you can cover all bases.

Anyway you might also want to factor in slowly increasing electricity rates to your equations too since you're looking over the course of 10 years.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, I mean, my argument was at the very least he breaks even, so accounting for increasing electricity costs makes the argument exponentially better, but that would be another fun variable to add to the equation.

I think I listen to too much Freakonomics.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I did a similar set of calculations to convince my dad to switch all his ceiling lights to LEDs. Looks pretty correct other than I think you are way overestimating how often the LED bulbs will need to be replaced. Not that it changes the end math that much.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

I did a similar set of calculations to convince my dad to switch all his ceiling lights to LEDs. Looks pretty correct other than I think you are way overestimating how often the LED bulbs will need to be replaced. Not that it changes the end math that much.

I'm accounting for environmental damage and accidental breakage more than anything, I know they'll burn forever.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

GobiasIndustries posted:

The furnace in my rental property won't stop blowing (cold) air. I tried setting the thermostat to 40 degrees, nothing. I turned the thermostat off, it kept blowing. I shut off the circuit breaker and turned the switch off on the furnace; the big fuse looks fine. The white/red wires don't appear broken anywhere that I can see. It's getting cold out here in Denver, I'm not gonna put up with a busted furnace; I put a maintenance request in, but is there anything else I can check on my own?

Is it a gas furnace? Check if the pilot light has gone out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

axolotl farmer posted:

Is it a gas furnace? Check if the pilot light has gone out.

It's electric. My landlord was actually able to get a guy out today who's currently fixing it; apparently it was the limit switch and there was pretty much nothing I could have done about it myself. Thanks for the reply though!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why do we refer to people who die young/early as "late?"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's electric. My landlord was actually able to get a guy out today who's currently fixing it; apparently it was the limit switch and there was pretty much nothing I could have done about it myself. Thanks for the reply though!

Highly recommend you watch and ask questions. You know, self-sufficiency.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mak0rz posted:

I don't know, but in my experience it's any deceased person, not just one went before his or her time.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Edit never mind I didn't see your next post with c7 bulb, I looked that up and c7 led and I get it now.

Are you sure about the 7w per light? I think a typical incandescent nightlight is 5 or 7 and a lot bigger than a Christmas bulb. Or are they the big bulbs? 7kw of lights would require at least 3 probably 4 outlets on different circuits.

E:and if they are the big ones do they even make led ones equivalent? All the led ones I've ever seen are just kinda weak bluish white with a
60hz flicker.

Still curious about the 60hz flicker.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 7, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

That's not it's qualification for usage.

As to where it came from, I have no idea but it's been in common usage for centuries. Like since before America was discovered.

It is how the "recently" deceased are referred to, regardless of their age at death. "Recently" is a fluid definition in this context, usually based on audience. So if they were still alive when the target audience was alive they can be referred to as "the late xxx". For example you won't hear people referring to George Washington as "the late" anymore, but at one time that was appropriate.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Motronic posted:

As to where it came from, I have no idea but it's been in common usage for centuries. Like since before America was discovered.

It is how the "recently" deceased are referred to, regardless of their age at death. "Recently" is a fluid definition in this context, usually based on audience. So if they were still alive when the target audience was alive they can be referred to as "the late xxx". For example you won't hear people referring to George Washington as "the late" anymore, but at one time that was appropriate.

From what I remember last time I was curious enough to look it up, it's appropriate to say someone is "the late" mr so-and-so for thirtyish to years after their death give or take a decade. Like you said, it has nothing to do with the age of the deceased and everything to do with how recently they passed.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

RaoulDuke12 posted:

-----------

-----------

-----------

-----------

Standard bulbs:

LED bulbs:

-----------

The only thing I see missing is the time value of the money. It would take more math to account for all the different time spans over which your money grows, but basically if you take the initial $1000 and earn 3% with it, you wind up with ~$1350 after 10 years. At 6% you wind up with ~$1800.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Motronic posted:

Huntersoninski posted:

From what I remember last time I was curious enough to look it up, it's appropriate to say someone is "the late" mr so-and-so for thirtyish to years after their death give or take a decade. Like you said, it has nothing to do with the age of the deceased and everything to do with how recently they passed.

Looks like I was mistaken about how the term was used. Thanks for the info!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What software is used to make animations like this?

http://youtu.be/ERSAaQrUpbc

I've found it to be really effective to embed timer videos into google slides, and it may work to just find the timers I need on youtube but I'd really like to make my own.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

tuyop posted:

What software is used to make animations like this?
The "clock" effect is just a clock wipe, and any editing software from iMovie to Windows Movie Maker to any $20 video editing software you could buy from an app store or Amazon should be able to do a clock wipe.

Making the numbers count down is vaguely more complex - if you have real editing software (Premiere, Final Cut Pro, AVID), there will be a bonafide way to do this. If not, you're going to have to do it by hand, which, depending on what two-bit editing software you use, could be easy or hard (based on how you nest the countdown).

A professional would create something like that in After Effects, which is vast overkill, but it's what a pro would use. Apple has a knockoff called "Motion" which is much cheaper, easier to use, and for this kind of thing, better.

This is called "motion graphics", you can google around and see if there are other ways to do this that I am not aware of.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Still curious about the 60hz flicker.

The electricity that comes out of your outlet isn't a continuous 120V. It's alternating current: sometimes the electrons flow one way and sometimes they flow the other. The "D" in LED refers to diodes, which are one-way circuit elements. They only light when the current is flowing in one direction, so your LEDs spend half their time unlit. The standard for US power is for the current to alternate at 60Hz.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

I would have thought the usage was to make sure that the person you're speaking to knows that the person you're talking about is dead because it's relevant to the conversation and they wouldn't otherwise know. Like the difference between "my husband" and "my late husband". That just has the side effect of pretty much only applying to people who are recently deceased.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Is there an OTC cough suppressant that works for about 8 hours?

Ok, Delsym doesn't do poo poo for my wife's cough. Any other suggestions?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mucinex DM is a 12 hour time relief.

But almost all cough suppressants use the same ingredient, and there's some debate whether it even works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 7, 2014

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Organza Quiz posted:

I would have thought the usage was to make sure that the person you're speaking to knows that the person you're talking about is dead because it's relevant to the conversation and they wouldn't otherwise know. Like the difference between "my husband" and "my late husband". That just has the side effect of pretty much only applying to people who are recently deceased.

What if her husband just hasn't arrived yet? Maybe he is just "late" because he was still "at the office".

I agree though that it is just to reference that someone is dead hence why you do not use it for people like George Washington because everyone should already know he is dead.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

Ok, Delsym doesn't do poo poo for my wife's cough. Any other suggestions?

Go to the doctor and get real stuff? If it's a wet cough, Mucinex could very well help a lot but as smackfu said, most otc cough meds are made with dextromethorphan.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Codeine with promethazine (anti-nausea for the codeine) is the best cough suppressants I've ever used.

However they usually give you a prescription of it with acetaminophen which makes it harder on your liver to increase your codeine dosage. If you can get the straight codeine and promethazine liquid, I highly recommend it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

c0ldfuse posted:

Codeine with promethazine (anti-nausea for the codeine) is the best cough suppressants I've ever used.

However they usually give you a prescription of it with acetaminophen which makes it harder on your liver to increase your codeine dosage. If you can get the straight codeine and promethazine liquid, I highly recommend it.

I'd love to go with codeine, since it always worked for me, but she's allergic to it.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

I'd love to go with codeine, since it always worked for me, but she's allergic to it.

They also make cough syrup with hydrocodone (and an antihistamine for the nausea), that stuff is the nectar of the gods. Is she allergic to all opioids? If so, they also make a non-narcotic med called tessalon. Stuff doesn't work for me but it does for some people apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

The "clock" effect is just a clock wipe, and any editing software from iMovie to Windows Movie Maker to any $20 video editing software you could buy from an app store or Amazon should be able to do a clock wipe.

Making the numbers count down is vaguely more complex - if you have real editing software (Premiere, Final Cut Pro, AVID), there will be a bonafide way to do this. If not, you're going to have to do it by hand, which, depending on what two-bit editing software you use, could be easy or hard (based on how you nest the countdown).

A professional would create something like that in After Effects, which is vast overkill, but it's what a pro would use. Apple has a knockoff called "Motion" which is much cheaper, easier to use, and for this kind of thing, better.

This is called "motion graphics", you can google around and see if there are other ways to do this that I am not aware of.

it was actually not that simple but I made a custom one in FCP. The countdown generator doesn't emulate a digital clock automatically, so you have to make a compound clip with a basic title for the minutes, then c/p that as many times as there are minutes.

You were totally right about the wipe, though, it's just a transition between two solid colours lasting the duration of the "timer". Thanks!