Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How in the world do I get the coins in the room with the two golden poops and the chasms blocking them? Is the answer just flying? Because I have the $$$ = POWER stunna shades and I'd really like them. No, I need them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hard mode seems like a waste of time, other than a few champ enemies and bigger rooms I don't notice a huge difference, what is pissing me off is the lack keys and bombs, no room seems to drop anything when I empty it.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well, that was a fun Judas run.

s6g7 6zhc

Tip (pretty obvious): get the Guppy's Head

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Darth Windu posted:

How in the world do I get the coins in the room with the two golden poops and the chasms blocking them? Is the answer just flying? Because I have the $$$ = POWER stunna shades and I'd really like them. No, I need them

One of the themes of this game is accepting that you can't have everything.

Also that flying is absurdly good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZk1hg6-bOo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

they're alright, I'd take it as a lateral move. Although I prefer My Innermost Apocalypse over that.

Unfortunately, none of us will get to hear the music that is actually good but from way late in the game because everyone will have muted the soundtrack earlier as a result of the migraine-inducing Depths track.

No kidding. Everything else is okay or good. Depths though...STOP loving WITH THE MICROWAVE DAMMIT!

*beep! Beep beep! Beep!*

I can't unhear it. :negative:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zoness posted:

I dunno it's not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmhqonMXBo or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmFlsVUCBc4 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFaTP4FoRfU.

And specifically the ambience for caves and depths is just annoying and I miss the goofy 8 bit unicorn invincibility theme.
None of the music in the original ever seemed that good to me, but that third one actually gets on my nerves. The synth is so annoyingly high-pitched.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Alkydere posted:

No kidding. Everything else is okay or good. Depths though...STOP loving WITH THE MICROWAVE DAMMIT!

*beep! Beep beep! Beep!*

I honestly don't hear a beep, and I really like the Depth's track.

I'm probably going deaf, it's for the best.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

None of the music in the original ever seemed that good to me, but that third one actually gets on my nerves. The synth is so annoyingly high-pitched.

I mean, almost all of the music from the original's OST was by DannyB and he has a pretty distinctive style that carries through. I can see how that would be if you didn't like DannyB's stuff but I've been a fan of most of it especially when he makes it for Ed's games.

Alkydere posted:

*beep! Beep beep! Beep!*

Holy poo poo I legitimately thought my roommate was using the microwave and then I realized it was the loving depths.

"DUDE GET YOUR FOOD OUT OF THE MICROWAVE"
"What"
"OH poo poo ITS THE loving GAME"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Trilin posted:

I honestly don't hear a beep, and I really like the Depth's track.

I'm probably going deaf, it's for the best.

Yeah, it's a tiny little sound at the edge of hearing that sounds exactly like an electronic beep from someone hitting a button in another room.

Zoness posted:

Holy poo poo I legitimately thought my roommate was using the microwave and then I realized it was the loving depths.

"DUDE GET YOUR FOOD OUT OF THE MICROWAVE"
"What"
"OH poo poo ITS THE loving GAME"

Ditto. A couple of my room-mates cook constantly so I thought they were just re-heating leftovers...all loving day. I didn't mind at first, but eventually it started driving me up the wall until I realized it was coming from the soundtrack. Then it really started to drive me up the wall.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahaha I looked at the track on audacity, and it's literally at a pitch I can't hear, so I never noticed the beep.

PS: There are some frequencies of sound you can only hear if you're a certain age. There are also known sub-frequencies when played loudly, are inaudible but cause a sense of dread. Alien Isolation and Amnesia both abuse the hell out of this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FYI hitting the m key causes the music to be muted/unmuted so if any tracks really bug you just hit that until you leave the area.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How could you not enjoy playing Azazel? His whole playstyle is based around flying right up close to things, obliterating them and running away. It's great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So I know enough about piano to fumble my way around a one-handed melody, but whenever I try to add chords with the left hand, I just get so loving confused. I'm always left wondering how on earth people learn how to manage playing two separate parts with both hands. I get the same befuddlement when I pick up the Ludovico Technique.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How could you not enjoy playing Azazel? His whole playstyle is based around flying right up close to things, obliterating them and running away. It's great.

It's a bit annoying because my keyboard is one of the ones that doesn't play 100% nicely with BOI:R. It's not an issue 99% of the time, but right now the game doesn't always agree with charge shots of any kind, and I'll get flubbed shots here and there.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

I was wondering what that obnoxious electronic-sounding drum in the soundtrack was, then I realized it was you firing machinegun lasers. :catdrugs:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Rainbow shots(different shot effect each room) is really fun now with all the different kinds of shots. Can't do Ludovico though.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh my god gently caress cursed shots, which can and will teleport you away when the boss of the Cathedral hits you when he only has like 10% health left.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Know what a Lost Contact + Cancer = ?

One completely impotent Mom's Heart. Hilarious. I didn't have the Cathedral or the Chest unlocked, but I imagine it murders Isaac and ??? too. And for anyone else? Tons of bombs, plus being HEALED by bombs instead of damaged by them.

This is what that looks like when it's NOT murdering a giant heart.

People might as well give up complaining about "Oh no this is broken". There's so drat many broken things here. I wonder if Brimstone and Lost Contact combine into a giant super negation beam of doom.

... and then combine that with Ludovico Technique for a "Giant Flying Bloody Negation Buzzsaw of Doom"

I wonder if there's an adjective limit we can break.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 7, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wish you could turn items back off after getting them. Getting anti-grav tears on Azazel is completely unplayable, and it's really frustrating to have a promising run ruined like that

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What does this fortune telling machine do? Aside from give pointless-seeming fortunes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Magres posted:

I wish you could turn items back off after getting them. Getting anti-grav tears on Azazel is completely unplayable, and it's really frustrating to have a promising run ruined like that

What does Anti-grav do with Azazel/Brimstone?

Also getting stuck with bad items is part of the game. It's why the Curse of Blindness(can't see what items are until you pick them up) can be dangerous.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

*beep! Beep beep! Beep!*

Holy poo poo I thought I was going crazy. They've been doing roadwork on my street and sometimes they reset the electricity overnight and it resets the oven, the beeps to reset it sound EXACTLY like these and it was driving me nuts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Woo! Finally stopped sucking long enough to unlock Sampson! The best part was getting Basement Boy a couple of runs previously and then loving up the unlock by checking thee devil room and getting Krampus instead of jumping down the hole. :negative:

Now I can go back to playing normally! Grinding the no-hit runs with Azazle at least was good for improving my movement skills, and letting me learn a lot of the early bosses really, really well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

What does this fortune telling machine do? Aside from give pointless-seeming fortunes.

Gives soul hearts, trinkets, and tarot/playing cards. If you overuse it until it explodes, it gives a crystal ball, which does the same thing for free as a spacebar item.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
This is probably a few pages late, as the thread moves very quickly right now, but across several pages people were arguing about balance/overpowered items, and I just wanted to make sure people remembered that once you unlock "Everything's Terrible!", bosses only drop one heart consumable instead of two and often their champion version spawn. Alongside this, once you start playing completely on Hard, bosses drop 0 health consumables, and neither do champion mobs, while devil deals often cost 2 hearts instead of just 1, so the whole discussion specifically about whether Dark Bum is overpowered is kind of moot until you've gotten to a point where you're playing the game regularly on its most astute difficulty (which you'll have to do to unlock everything anyway), which I assume most of the items were designed around.

Also, I don't get why people are so caught up over an item that keeps you at full health when there are literally invincible combos/items in the game. Sometimes you're gonna have carried runs in Isaac, that's just the way it goes.

Anyway, I've gotten rather far into the game's overall progression, and it's only gotten more difficult, but it's remained much more fun than the original because I think the items and characters across the board are way better balanced (save maybe Azazel...he's sorta nuts).

Now, for an actual question:

I've read a rumor that Faith and Sin are save-wide stats, similar to how you can upgrade the shop over the coarse of a save. Higher sin means it's easier to get devil rooms to show up, and perhaps that their contents are better, and also that black hearts appear more frequently. Higher faith means soul hearts appear more frequently and it's a lot easier to get the angel room to appear. I've ever heard that there's a cap for each that all but guarantees their appearance. In my experience so far, this doesn't seem true at all, and the devil/angel rooms seem to play by the same rules they always did. Faith and Sin seem to just affect the rate of soul/black heart drops. Anyone have any evidence or experience they wanna throw my way regarding this?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Darth Windu posted:

Drops cards, soul hearts, and trinkets. At the end of a run, I had tons of cash, and just rammed it for a while. Think I got every single trinket available.

Ninjas! *shakes fist*

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

President Ark posted:

Gives soul hearts, trinkets, and tarot/playing cards. If you overuse it until it explodes, it gives a crystal ball, which does the same thing for free as a spacebar item.

Do you mean a L1 item?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Darth Windu posted:

It also gives tarot cards and trinkets.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

This is the coolest looking isaac I've ever had.

IIRC it's tar ball, jesus juice and some injection, maybe speed ball, on a random Eden hairstyle. The picture doesn't show it but he had spiky hands too.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Do you mean a L1 item?

Trinkets meaning the one-at-a-time passive items like the worms, the tick, etc.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

kemikalkadet posted:

This is the coolest looking isaac I've ever had.

IIRC it's tar ball, jesus juice and some injection, maybe speed ball, on a random Eden hairstyle. The picture doesn't show it but he had spiky hands too.

All that needs are the $_$ shades.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

President Ark posted:

Trinkets meaning the one-at-a-time passive items like the worms, the tick, etc.

I meant about the spacebar item. Is that the recharge item?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

I meant about the spacebar item. Is that the recharge item?

Yes, it's a recharge item.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Do you get anything for completing challenges? Beyond a weird sense of pride.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Tiny planet + Ipecac is as awful as you'd imagine. Brimstone Tammy is really awesome though.

Comrade Flynn posted:

You unlock "rune" usable items that do things (give you spiders/flys, destroy rocks, one acts like the shovel, bunch of other ones)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Comrade Flynn posted:

Assuming it's the same as the original (haven't done any challenges yet in Rebirth), they unlock new items.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Comrade Flynn posted:

each challenge unlocks a new item that can drop in following runs.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Azazel seed with Tammy's Head in the first floor: 3S3H 6STY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

it drops soul hearts, trinkets, a crystal ball, and it has a huge cock on the back it uses to gently caress your wife when it comes alive at night