Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Stainless are going to be significantly harder frets, so they won't take as much wear as the softer nickel. They will be harder on strings, but if you're swapping strings often you'll really won't see much difference on string wear overall.

There may be some TONE differences, but overall stainless steel will require less fret upkeep over it's lifetime in theory or you're using crazy hard metal blends on your stings.

I'd say take the 200 off unless you need the stainless frets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Messyass posted:

Awesome story :golfclap:

I don't know if you posted about this before but what does your setup look like? Do you have your AxeFX hooked up to some kind of FRFR monitor? Straight into the PA?

Depends on the gig, I generally run into a QSC K12 as my cab/monitor setup and either daisy chain into the PA or not, depends on my mood too, plus whatever the other guitarist is running (if applicable).

As far as what it looks like, well I like to THINK it doesn't look poorly done, not that it should matter, but:

(Glow in the dark tape cause it glows in the dark)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
what is this? the loving mickey mouse club? get out of here you little nooblet and send someone with some balls and a marshall mg stack in

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Newbie-ish question: I have finally started getting the hang of my F chord however whenever I change to it because of the nature of the barre it causes the strings to mute and create an odd silencing effect.

Does this mean I am not strumming nonstop as I should be regardless of the fretting hand or, is this the expected thing? Watching acoustic sets with that chord it doesn't seem to be the case.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You mean there's a moment of silence as your fingers go down and kill the last chord, and then when you strum the F it's all good, right? (Not just some of the strings muting when you play an F because it's hard)

It's sort of a speed thing, the faster you can switch the less noticeable a gap will be. There are a bunch of little tricks too, sometimes people do them unconsciously, like playing open strings while they get their fingers above the place they need to be, fretting part of the chord and playing that partial for a moment, letting the fingers mute and doing a little percussive CHAKA strum before each new chord, putting the chord down sorta from low to high so you can start strumming it before all your fingers are in place...

Basically buying yourself the time you need. And yeah, keep strumming or it'll be noticeable (which might be what you want, but if you don't, don't)

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

baka kaba posted:

You mean there's a moment of silence as your fingers go down and kill the last chord, and then when you strum the F it's all good, right? (Not just some of the strings muting when you play an F because it's hard)

It's sort of a speed thing, the faster you can switch the less noticeable a gap will be. There are a bunch of little tricks too, sometimes people do them unconsciously, like playing open strings while they get their fingers above the place they need to be, fretting part of the chord and playing that partial for a moment, letting the fingers mute and doing a little percussive CHAKA strum before each new chord, putting the chord down sorta from low to high so you can start strumming it before all your fingers are in place...

Basically buying yourself the time you need. And yeah, keep strumming or it'll be noticeable (which might be what you want, but if you don't, don't)

Sound from previous chords muted not individual strings from lack of pressure on the barre. Guess it's just more practice then. The secret for me for the F chord was learning that having a slight bit of my barre finger hanging over the top of the board isn't a sin. Just trying to go from top to bottom always gave me a muted b string.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Am I crazy for thinking about owning a PRS CU24 soon?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kilometers Davis posted:

no please get one they're super sick

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Semi-Hollow........... ;)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jiffypop45 posted:

Sound from previous chords muted not individual strings from lack of pressure on the barre. Guess it's just more practice then. The secret for me for the F chord was learning that having a slight bit of my barre finger hanging over the top of the board isn't a sin. Just trying to go from top to bottom always gave me a muted b string.

Practice on switching quicker.

A good, easy chord progression to learn is that famous intro bit from House of the Rising Sun that goes Am-C-D-F-Am-Em. That has two chord changes that trouble beginners and is something to strive for.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

real curious about the pickups on these. also jesus I hate the overly gaudy tops and bird inlays otherwise i'd probably own several

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Professor Science posted:

real curious about the pickups on these. also jesus I hate the overly gaudy tops and bird inlays otherwise i'd probably own several
I love PRS guitars in general and I despise their pickups except for the 57/08.

They DO make a lot of plain tops and dot inlays, but no one shows off their plain guitars (which is a loving shame).

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
BTW has anyone else seen that Guitar Fetish is introducing gold foil PUs? I'm loving pumped.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Re: stainless steel frets, they wear much slower however they also damage fretwork tools really quickly so some luthiers will charge significantly more when they do need work.

HollisBrown posted:

BTW has anyone else seen that Guitar Fetish is introducing gold foil PUs? I'm loving pumped.
I hadn't, but I am now pumped also.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Depends on the gig, I generally run into a QSC K12 as my cab/monitor setup and either daisy chain into the PA or not, depends on my mood too, plus whatever the other guitarist is running (if applicable).

As far as what it looks like, well I like to THINK it doesn't look poorly done, not that it should matter, but:

(Glow in the dark tape cause it glows in the dark)

Oh now I see what they were getting at. You clearly need more expression pedals.

I'm currently using a poor man's version of this, with a POD xt Live via an EV ZLX12p into the PA.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

iostream.h posted:

Semi-Hollow........... ;)

Temptation... :colbert:

muike posted:

no please get one they're super sick

I'm planning on going straight from the factory, getting exactly what I want. I keep making lateral upgrades and compromises with my gear and it would be nice to get exactly what I want once. $$$ blowing in the wind but gently caress it, treat yo self. Also if you guys hate the birds :getout: . If you don't think the 24's owl is cute as poo poo :getout:

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

urggh just spent my whole evening (6 hours) rewiring my greco strat basically from scratch, it already had three toggles but I took them out and redid those because they were the other way round from my other strat, changed the neck pickup, wired up a phase switch for the middle pickup and a split for the bridge, and after all that I plug it in, no sound. Snip away a couple of loose strands of wire - there's sound, but now it has this fuzz behind it on all the pickups. I've reflowed all the joints it could be (though it's hard to get past all the spaghetti to get to the main ones), but it's still doing it. Shelved it til the morning, but it's really frustrating.

I figure it's just a bad solder joint, but if anyone else has run into that and it was something else, let me know.

e: Turns out it was my cab. It's an ancient thing (60's-70's judging by the speakers), sounds real nice after I fixed it up by cleaning the solder joints up etc but I should probably just replace the wire itself and hopefully that does it...

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 5, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Did you just make partner? If so, congrats!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I just saw a used fender Greta 2 watt amp for 99 dollars at my local music shop. I'm a newbie and mostly play guitar for myself and whoever happens to be around. What do goons think of this item?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

I just saw a used fender Greta 2 watt amp for 99 dollars at my local music shop. I'm a newbie and mostly play guitar for myself and whoever happens to be around. What do goons think of this item?

I think it looks cool as heck but I've never tried one (don't know if they were released here or not), but tone is a personal thing so you should try it out and see how you like it for yourself.

e: It was, but it's $400 here lol

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 5, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Not to spam, but I just got my 11rack and holy poo poo. This completely changed my desire to wear headphones to practice in about 30seconds.

Selling that Roland Cube was the best loving decision ever. Good riddance to that.

I do have to adjust some volumes in my presets using it the way I have now, but gently caress yeah this is pretty sweet.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 9, 2014

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Rondo is discontinuing the Agile AL-2000 and AL- 3010SE models. From the sounds of the email sent out, there won't be any more Agile single cutaway models at the $200-$260 price point.

Get em while they're cheap.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
Actually had a decent CL find yesterday. Epi LP in tobacco burst/Gibson USA soft case - $200. Pretty fair deal even if it is a stock standard Chinese model... Pics are a bit blurred so I call and set up a showing within the hour. Turns out to be a Korean '98 and it is in really good (if neglected) shape. Best part was hard to make out from the photo but then I saw it with my own eyes that -yes indeed- it has Seymour Duncan pups.

SOLD.

Told the girl selling it she'll probably want to pull the ad. She said she figures the same, two calls in the time it took me to get there. One guy was willing to pay $300 sight unseen and drive 2 hours to get it ASAP.

:smug:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

RagingHematoma posted:

I really liked the Humbucker sound on the Gibson SG I had, but I found it really uncomfortable to play sitting down. How does the humbucker sound compare on the Jaguar you have to a Gibson SG or similar?

This is from a few pages back, but I finally got around to doing a little messing around. So I will warn you to take everything I say with a grain of salt as my ears are really bad at comparing tones.

So I compared my Jaguar HH with an Agile AL-3000. Don't own an SG so that is the best I could do. The Agile sound a lot better quality. So I am guess all of the electronics are much better so the comparison might not be fair. I did all my testing on Amplitube 3. I played most of the cleaner stuff on an AC30 model and most of the heavier stuff on a JCM800 model.

The tone for the Agile was heavier but still clear. At first I thought the Jaguar was twangier, but the more I compared the two, I think it was just my ears playing tricks on me. I thought the Jaguar was somewhat brighter, but not by a lot. Heavey gain settings were similar for both, but the Agile seemed to deal with the high gain better. The biggest differences seemed to be when played clean. Honestly, I feel like most of the differences were due to the Jaguar pickups just being low quality.

I am not really finding the words to describe the difference and only had about 20 minutes to mess around with them. I will try to record something this weekend, but last time I tried, Reaper sounded like I was smashing my guitars into speaker cabinets. Hopefully I have a free moment to figure that out.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

There's likely some difference attributable to scale length/component value/pickups, but they should be in similar ballparks.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
To get Reaper working right make sure you're using ASIO4ALL drivers and add ReaGate VST in the FX list. Just tweak it to cut out unwanted noise without squashing any dynamics. What interface are you currently using?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Verizian posted:

To get Reaper working right make sure you're using ASIO4ALL drivers and add ReaGate VST in the FX list. Just tweak it to cut out unwanted noise without squashing any dynamics. What interface are you currently using?

My interface is an IK stealth pedal. It sounds great through my headphones, but just awful when I play back a recording. I will look definitely have a look at those settings next time.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world

Gripen5 posted:

My interface is an IK stealth pedal. It sounds great through my headphones, but just awful when I play back a recording. I will look definitely have a look at those settings next time.

You might be clipping out the input, you should watch your meter and make sure it never hits red (0.0dBFS), with distorted electric guitar peaking out even once generally means your gain is set way too hot.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

comes along bort posted:

Did you just make partner? If so, congrats!

Partner? I don't know but I feel good about getting congratulations for something. Hell yeah?

I'm wondering about PRS pickups and annoyed that hardly anyone around here has any. What stock pickups are best for handling all kinds of dirt from a bluesy overdrive to tight punchy high gain as well as good cleans. Clarity is key but I definitely want pickups that can get forceful and punchy. Not djenty but you know, similar. The cleans don't have to be perfectly mellow but full and responsive to technique. Would 57/08s cut it or are they a little too vintage oriented?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Have to wait for iostream probably. He seems to know his PRS pickups pretty well.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 9, 2014

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Instead of having what's essentially 5 different gear threads, lets talk about practicing or lessons or technique or stuff.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Kilometers Davis posted:

Partner? I don't know but I feel good about getting congratulations for something. Hell yeah?

It was a bluesdad joke, like you finally became a Real Lawyer so now you have money to spend on an expensive guitar that will finally take your playing to the Next Level

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I've been working on some Leo Kottke songs and composing a lot on my 12 string lately. Strings were probably going on almost a full year old. I ordered some John Pearse strings and wondered why I let my 12 strings get so old and dead. Changed the strings, now I remember why I let them get so old and dead. These strings do sound loving good though.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

juche mane posted:

Instead of having what's essentially 5 different gear threads, lets talk about practicing or lessons or technique or stuff.

I don't actually play guitar, I just buy and pile up a bunch of gear that I hope to one day have a sky burial on

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Stravinsky posted:

I don't actually play guitar, I just buy and pile up a bunch of gear that I hope to one day have a sky burial on

I want my jazzmaster to eat my flesh and retire to the skies.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
bury me in my emperor 610

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
gently caress that, instruments are meant to be played. If I kick the bucket I want them to go to people who may use them (hopefully better than I did).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HollisBrown posted:

I've been working on some Leo Kottke songs and composing a lot on my 12 string lately. Strings were probably going on almost a full year old. I ordered some John Pearse strings and wondered why I let my 12 strings get so old and dead. Changed the strings, now I remember why I let them get so old and dead. These strings do sound loving good though.

JP strings are killer. Their phosphor bronzes have a really amazing tone once they're broken in and aged a bit.

TopherCStone posted:

It was a bluesdad joke, like you finally became a Real Lawyer so now you have money to spend on an expensive guitar that will finally take your playing to the Next Level

I guess it went over my head because I'm that guy but less infinite income more constantly going broke for shameful purchases.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm wondering about PRS pickups and annoyed that hardly anyone around here has any. What stock pickups are best for handling all kinds of dirt from a bluesy overdrive to tight punchy high gain as well as good cleans. Clarity is key but I definitely want pickups that can get forceful and punchy. Not djenty but you know, similar. The cleans don't have to be perfectly mellow but full and responsive to technique. Would 57/08s cut it or are they a little too vintage oriented?

57/08 or go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

57/08's are the only PRS pickups I've ever left in any of their guitars. They're solid for everything from crunchy classic rock stuff to pretty tight high-gain metal. They respond REALLY well to a clean boost in front of them, clean up nicely when you roll back the volume a bit and on my Prism the coil tap/split (not sure which it actually is) is actually useable.

I love em.