Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Bugsy posted:

Wasn't Dimir's role in original ravnica defined by the guildpact as the ones trying to break the guildpact?

Relevant to Magic Online, Szadek broke the guildpact by breaking a law that only a guildmaster could break: revealing House Dimir's existence. House Dimir mostly did what they do now: they were your information dealers, assassins, etc. Breaking the guildpact wasn't the role of the Dimir, it's just something Szadek did. You know, for value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Bugsy posted:

Wasn't Dimir's role in original ravnica defined by the guildpact as the ones trying to break the guildpact?

Yeah, it's pretty weird.

“You arrested the Dimir guildmaster. In so doing, you broke the Guildpact ... The Dimir exist to oppose the Guildpact, to strengthen its power by the force of that opposition. It is why House Dimir was welcomed into the accord. Rakdos and his foul ilk, too. The Guildpact could not have lasted as long, or been as powerful, without that equal and opposing malevolence. But you arrested Szadek for crimes against the Guildpact. You created a paradox in that his actions were the very essence of his purpose within the Guildpact.”
“You mean he was supposed to destroy the Guildpact, and the only way to save the Guildpact would have been to let him go ahead and do it? That doesn’t make any sense.”
“That is why it is a paradox,” Augustin IV said.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yeah, it's pretty weird.

“The Dimir exist to oppose the Guildpact, to strengthen its power by the force of that opposition. It is why House Dimir was welcomed into the accord. Rakdos and his foul ilk, too. The Guildpact could not have lasted as long, or been as powerful, without that equal and opposing malevolence. But you arrested Szadek for crimes against the Guildpact. You created a paradox in that his actions were the very essence of his purpose within the Guildpact.”
“You mean he was supposed to destroy the Guildpact, and the only way to save the Guildpact would have been to let him go ahead and do it? That doesn’t make any sense.”
“That is why it is a paradox,” Augustin IV said.

You know what. gently caress planeswalkers.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The original Ravnica trilogy is overall one of the higher points of the Magic books, but Dissension is by the far the worst of the three, and contrived poo poo like that is one of the reasons why.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Isn't there a point in the original Ravnica story that Argus Kos makes a crack to Nicol Bolas, who promptly incinerates him?

It was also kinda cool to find out that Jarad was friends with Kos and took over the guild for his sister.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

That's what the term initially meant, but it's kind of been co-opted by tumblr to refer to literally anything you find objectionable in any way, which is presumably the usage he's mocking.

Beaten, but considering it was in response to a post where he quoted a guy talking about men who mistreat women, I'm not sure how you don't end up with a rape joke at worst or a severe ignorance at best.

Sickening posted:

If you can't mock someone for posting "Oh and you're ashamed of your gender because guys intrinsically have power and often want to pretend they don't while abusing it to the fullest" in a magic the gathering thread then I am ashamed of the states of things.

Maybe if we keep talking about this can we shame you into not posting?

:lol: If you're offended, I recommend some self-reflection on why the conversation has progressed to this point. Perhaps away from the computer.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 6, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bhsman posted:

Maybe if we keep talking about this can we shame you into not posting?

You should probably take your own advice.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668035&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=165#post437336555

The above post is going to be one of those things I go back to and laugh at for a long time. Its just that good. Thank you for dropping that gem.

LGD posted:

Actually it's probably the perfect time because it effectively conveys the opinion that the people involved are being sanctimonious assholes engaging in a masturbatory political thread derailment rather than people who are genuinely interested in discussing a legitimate issue in good faith. You can question the validity of that opinion, but given that the response was to immediately begin shrieking about how the comment was disrespectful to rape victims and demanding that anyone who would voice such an offensive opinion justify themselves, I think the evidence points toward it having some degree of accuracy.

The point LGD is getting to is probably something you should take to heart.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 6, 2014

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Late to the Misogytalk: Every place where a group that shares X quality can gather without being exposed to people who do not have X quality, will always end up as a circlejerk that glorifies X quality and denigrates those who don't. It's an incredibly stupid cultural mechanism that has long outlived its usefulness, but there you go.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Whether you believe that to be evil or not is I suppose a matter of personal philosophy, but you could easily write a green villain.

I can definitely see a Green villain, that's why I said most colours are neutrally balanced. If I can see a villain and a hero of the same colour (and, obviously, a neutral person), then I consider the colour to be balanced in that regard. However, try as I might, it's very hard for me to imagine a Black-aligned hero.

The only case where I can see it happening (based on one of Maro's writings) is when White becomes a fascist, oppressive, abusive authority figure and Black is the hero that frees everyone by convincing them that no, you don't have to sacrifice your sense of self for the greater good, that it's okay to be selfish (because it's the first step towards self-care and a healthy self-esteem), and that you have a right to be happy and do what you want instead of what is expected of you.

But that's a super niche case.

Zero_Grade posted:

I think Sorin is a really good example of a black-white persona.

I've read those two stories and the flavour of a lot of Sorin's cards, and while some of them make him sound pretty acceptable, most of the time he just comes off as a self-interested rear end in a top hat (who often does what he must instead of what he wants, sure, but rarely does anything kind/virtuous/selfless).

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think it's fine for a fantasy card game to have a black magic color of evil, I just think it's dumb that Maro pretends that black totally isn't about being evil and is really a philosophical viewpoint about ethics in games journalism capitalism or whatever when black cards are overwhelmingly about demons and zombies and hatred and murder and villainy. The demon-summoning isn't on the side, it's the main course.

e: FFS, the black iconic is literally named "A Villainess"

Kinda wished that hadn't happened! Having a black magic colour of evil and a white magic colour of good is super boring because it restricts the kind of stories/flavour/mechanics you can have. Neutrality is the best because it's balanced and opens all possibilities to you (which is why Blue gets so many mechanics, flavour and storylines, because it's possibly the most neutrally-conceived colour in the pie).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

bhsman posted:

Isn't there a point in the original Ravnica story that Argus Kos makes a crack to Nicol Bolas, who promptly incinerates him?
Noooo? Nicol Bolas turned up in Legends, made a small but significant contribution to TSP, then Alara was his major resurgence into Scary Evil Bastard status. Kos dies to an Izzet magic thingy exploding, and his abuse of healing magic making it impossible for anything they have on hand to heal the wounds. For that matter, when the original Guildpact was put into force, it sealed off Ravnica from the rest of the Multiverse so - until right at the end of the trilogy - no planeswalkers could have interfered even if they'd wanted to.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Sickening posted:

You should probably take your own advice.

No, they're right, you're a really bad poster and should stop

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

a dozen swans posted:

What do you all play, and why?

IRL:
Vintage: GW Hatebears. Because I only have a Pearl for power and most blue decks seem really bad with no power and only one Brainstorm and Ponder. I would play RUg Delver minus the power if I had the Flusterstorms; they're surprisingly important.

Legacy: In order of how often I play them: Jund, RUG, BUG Delver. Close to having Bant Stoneblade too. Because I enjoy actually interacting with people rather than goldfishing through the occasional Force of Will. Yes, that is a gross exaggeration of combo, no I won't take it back. I started with Shardless BUG, but it was actually really bad because every single draw 3 I have ever cast has drawn me 3 lands. From there, it's just some Skrillex and Badlands away to Jund, and Volcs to RUG. I'm just a few Stoneforges and a Tundra away from Bant Stoneblade, which I'm really excited for because Containment Priest hoses almost every deck I hate playing against.

Modern: RUG Control, Norin Soul Sisters, Mono-U Tron, Junk/Jund, Green Devotion, and a bunch of other random stuff I don't actually play. I started playing mono-U faeries because I had all the expensive parts from Modern Masters. It was good against anything that wasn't aggro, but unfortunately half my meta was robots. Then I decided modern was terrible and started playing bad decks like Restore Balance and Green Devotion. It didn't take long before I realized I hate Splinter Twin more than any other deck and both of those decks lose horribly to it so I tried Jund, which has been reduced to playing garbage like Courser of Kruphix. I switched to Junk, which seemed good when I could get a halfway reasonable draw, which wasn't very often (I drew my 3-of Lingering Souls one time in a 6 round tournament, for example.) Finally, I brewed up a RUG list, and found something remarkably similar that Reid Duke had made. It looked pretty sweet and I've done pretty well when I've played it, so that's my current thing.

Standard: Nope.

MTGO:
Vintage:basically anything but Dredge and Stax (I need Wastelands.)

Legacy: Caleb Durward's BUG Nic Fit except I switched a Grave Titan main with a Thragdaddy in the side. It's a surprisingly good deck right now between Deed, Swagtusk, and Grave Titan, and it still has counters for combo. Also of note, Caleb is awesome and makes awesome decks.

Modern: Norin Soul Sisters: the deck that's good against 95% of the meta (UR Delver) and good against the meta decks that are good against UR Delver. I've done so well with this deck (I'm something like 22/4 - 18/2 against UR Delver) that I bought my Deeds to finish Nic Fit solely off of the packs I've sold from winning 2-mans. Its only really bad matchup is GR Tron, which is still winnable, especially now that I've gotten Blood Moons.

Standard: I have RDW together. I'll probably never play it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Noooo? Nicol Bolas turned up in Legends, made a small but significant contribution to TSP, then Alara was his major resurgence into Scary Evil Bastard status. Kos dies to an Izzet magic thingy exploding, and his abuse of healing magic making it impossible for anything they have on hand to heal the wounds. For that matter, when the original Guildpact was put into force, it sealed off Ravnica from the rest of the Multiverse so - until right at the end of the trilogy - no planeswalkers could have interfered even if they'd wanted to.

Whoops, I meant Niv Mizzet, though it appears I was still off.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

a dozen swans posted:

Vintage: I play Permission Oath. The deck has so much versatility and inevitability that being able to ask your opponent to have two Force of Wills as early as turn one is an amazing feeling.

Legacy: Reanimator. I like Griselbrand. A lot.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I've stopped being surprised at the random poo poo they break in their updates.

My favorite is still the one where players with 3 letter names couldn't watch replays. Like, I literally have no idea how that could accidentally happen.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Modern: Norin Soul Sisters: the deck that's good against 95% of the meta (UR Delver) and good against the meta decks that are good against UR Delver. I've done so well with this deck (I'm something like 22/4 - 18/2 against UR Delver) that I bought my Deeds to finish Nic Fit solely off of the packs I've sold from winning 2-mans. Its only really bad matchup is GR Tron, which is still winnable, especially now that I've gotten Blood Moons.
Norin has always been one of my favorite cards, I think I might build a budget version of this deck without arid mesa and cavern of souls.

EDIT: I overpayed my car payment, so its not due this month. Turns out that is enough to buy the deck!

eSporks fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 7, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

a dozen swans posted:

Late on this, but it's a good topic so gently caress it.

Standard- Sub Sligh. I don't play enough Standard to warrant spending more than $100 on a deck that I can only use for one "season", and I lean more towards aggro than control or combo. I also like the math problem of "what's the most efficient path to 20 damage?" the deck offers with all the cards that can pump or be pumped.

Modern- Esper Mill, Goblins, MonoU Tron, and MonoG Stompy (which I'm debating on turning into MonoG Genesis Wave). The idea is to have an aggro deck, a control deck, and a combo deck so I can play each general archetype when I feel like it. I'm not sure where Mill fits on that spectrum, but it sure is fun and it's probably the best of the four too. I've never not gotten a prize payout with it and I even beat Legacy Manaless Dredge 2-0 with it, perhaps my finest Magic moment.

Legacy- I was building Goblins a while ago before Wasteland and Port got really expensive, now I'm building that Soldier-tribal/Prison list someone posted a week ago. The Legacy scene around here is really small though so I'm not in any hurry.

Commander- Captain Sisay, Purphoros, Obzedat, Vorel. For some reason I told myself I wanted each color represented in my EDH arsenal but I've played Obzedat and Vorel once apiece and could probably just take them apart, though I keep missing our EDH events here and want to try them out a couple more times before pulling their plugs. Purphoros because I love that card and am slowly working it from tokens in general to a Goblins list, and I love Goblins. However I love my Sisay deck even more, not just because it's the right balance of powerful and fun but it's also the only deck here that I conceived and built entirely from scratch, and I'm quite proud of that. When I got my first job out of grad school it was my first big "spending project" which is probably really sad and irresponsible but there's some sentimental value there as a result.

I like interesting, unique decks but I'm also cheap and unimaginative, which puts me in a weird spot. Honestly I don't play enough Magic to warrant owning this many decks, but I do want to have one deck in every reasonable format for versatility's sake. There's a case to be made for "sell your cheap decks and put the money towards one or two powerhouses" but for me there's something to be said about having enough decks to keep things fresh. Hopefully when my fiance and I move next spring/summer it will be to a place where I don't have 90 minutes of commuting each day and can be home in time for evening weeknight Magic events :argh:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

a dozen swans posted:

Legacy: Really want to play Miracles, but the point of entry is just so drat expensive, I really like the whole concept of winning the game off topdeck, even if it's more of making the topdeck exactly what I want it to be. I also like to play with Top and Brainstorm and this is the deck that does a lot of it.

Modern: Merfolk and Mono U Tron. I'm a blue guy that likes the aspects of slamming dudes into people, so Fish was a natural fit. I like the tempo plays that Merfolk does, and I'm a fan of cheating out cards with additional casting costs. U Tron is just how I like to play a control deck, twiddle my thumbs while I put the pieces of the puzzle together and then bam, you're done, here's a Wurmcoil in your face.

Standard: Last season it was Prime Speaker Bant and Green Devotion, this season it's currently Temur Midrange. If standard is destined to be creatures slamming into creatures then by god I'm gonna Knuckle some Blades and Prime some Speaks.

Also Genesis Hydra for 20/Polukranos for 10 never gets old.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

a dozen swans posted:

Since all the cool kids are doing it.

Standard: Sidisi Whip. When it works, it's a blast. I like littering the board with creatures and Sidisi and Hornet Queen are pretty good at doing that. Whipping back Hornet Queen feels so good.

Modern: Storm and Elves. It's fun playing complex combo decks that require and bunch of moving pieces and allow you to be able to draw your entire deck in a single turn. Elves is surprisingly super fun in modern and I get to vomit my hand and draw a ton of cards. I've also been messing around with an esper Torpor Orb/Hushwing Gryff deck that abuses the lack of ETB triggers with Hunter Horror, Nyxathid, and Eater of Days. It's not quite up to par with the others, but it can be fun if everything works out. It's also great against Twin, Pod, and anything with Snapcaster since it runs 8 things main deck to shut all of that off.

Commander: Mono-Black Drana. Generates a ton of mana and can make it so I can just keep most other creatures off the board with Drana and smash in with lethal commander damage or drop a big Grey Merchant. I also have a Sliver Overlord deck that I occasionally play because the whole littering the board with creatures thing.

I don't play legacy

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Currently playing:

Standard: Mardu Midrange, mostly because I like busting out Zurgo Helmsmasher.

Modern: U/B Faeries

Legacy: None

Vintage: Burning Oath w/Griselbrand, also Bazaar Dredge

(KTK Block Constructed: Zurgo Smash. Yes, really)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 7, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

a dozen swans posted:

In Legacy I play MUD and Enchantress, I guess because what I like is to make my opponents look at my cool moves while they can't do anything about it.

French Commander is a Surrak Dragonclaw-led Temur Goodstuff list. Uncounterable dragons and Kiki-Jiki combos never felt so good.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Angry Grimace posted:

Currently playing:

Vintage: Burning Oath w/Griselbrand

You need to stop playing this sub-par deck and kick it up to Permission Oath.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If you cast Cruel Ultimatum on MTGO with no creatures in your graveyard, it may start a new game of Magic. If a player shuffled their library during the first game, they won't be able to draw cards during the new game.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

a dozen swans posted:

Okay, here's a question for the thread that isn't about misogyny: for those of you who play non-rotating formats, how did you end up playing the deck you play now? Was it the first deck you started with? Did you switch over time, possibly dramatically? What about it appealed to you?

I've kind of flitted from deck to deck over time, but I finally feel like my current deck is the one I want to seriously get better at playing and stick with. It's kind of a neat feeling, and I'm sure it'll be rewarded by tighter play.

Modern: Jund and Storm, slowly picking up staples so that I can build either Pod or UWR Twin. After selling out of MTGO and getting back into paper, I knew I wanted one Modern deck that (a) had a respectable chance in a given unknown metagame, and (b) wouldn't be invalidated by any single banning. That meant that of the top tier decks at the time (GBx, Twin, Pod, Affinity), GBx was the best choice. I have the stuff for Junk but right now I think regular Jund is a bit better.

Legacy: UWR Delver/Stoneblade, slowly buying into Maverick and Nic Fit. I'm trying to avoid expensive cards that are only played in one deck (i.e. City of Traitors for Sneak & Show, Rishadan Port for Death & Taxes), and I don't want to spend $300 on Underground Seas until I really have to.

I think the best eternal strategy is to have one "fair" deck and one "unfair" deck that you can pick from based on what you expect to face. With all the Burn, Dredge and Delver I expect to see at GPNJ, I think combo's in a really good place, and if I had the parts for Sneak & Show or Reanimator it'd be my first choice.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

If you cast Cruel Ultimatum on MTGO with no creatures in your graveyard, it may start a new game of Magic. If a player shuffled their library during the first game, they won't be able to draw cards during the new game.

Is... is this real? I can't tell when people are joking about MtGO anymore.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

People never joke about MTGO glitches.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I would like to thank everyone for posting MTGO bugs, sometimes I get to thinking that I should pick up a cheap Windows laptop so I can draft anytime on my couch but the parade of failure constantly on display reminds me that it would be a terrible idea. Lord help me if they ever put out a Mac or browser based client though, all day erryday drafts would be the end of my capacity to function as a normal human being.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BXCX posted:

I would like to thank everyone for posting MTGO bugs, sometimes I get to thinking that I should pick up a cheap Windows laptop so I can draft anytime on my couch but the parade of failure constantly on display reminds me that it would be a terrible idea. Lord help me if they ever put out a Mac or browser based client though, all day erryday drafts would be the end of my capacity to function as a normal human being.

Uh, I've seen high end gaming rigs get bogged down by MTGO. My laptop handles it pretty well, though, which I'll never understand.

And it really isn't that bad. I've had a few crashes ruin drafts, a modern deck ruined by Mindslaver not working right, an 80 card draft deck because it wouldn't submit my deck, and a game 2 where I had a hand of 5 cards which I had sided out, but which apparently MTGO decided I hadn't actually wanted to take out. Every time I got my money back, and now they've started giving you your money back even if you win!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Could they do another Sarkhan, one that is sane and doesn't have voices in his head all the time? Has there ever been a walker that had two versions in one block?

Xenagos :v:

Sarkhan loses his spark.

Becomes a 3 mana 1/1 Human Shaman with
2RR: ~ becomes a 4/4 Dragon. He is no longer a Human Shaman
1R: ~ becomes a 1/1 Human Shaman. He is no longer a Dragon.
As long as ~ is a Dragon he has flying and R: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
As long as Sarkhan is a Human Shaman, he has 2R: Dragons you control get +2/+2 until end of turn.

Basically, what if a planeswalker had 4 abilities, and three of them were bad?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yes, I've seen it firsthand. The game knows something is wrong, so it tries to go into replay mode, but also it shuffles instead of doing the replay. This also means you end up with permanents that animate as one card but act and appear as a different one.

suicidesteve posted:

Uh, I've seen high end gaming rigs get bogged down by MTGO. My laptop handles it pretty well, though, which I'll never understand.

MTGO is laggy because of server issues, and it can bog down any rig because it has a memory leak that sometimes comes up. My PC with 8 gigs of RAM can experience the memory leak for a while before it noticeably slows down, but if the glitch happens it will eventually crash anything.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
While I was playing MTGO, it crashed, blue screened, uninstalled my OS, and slapped my girlfriend.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

You need to stop playing this sub-par deck and kick it up to Permission Oath.

I actually don't like the Burning Wish package very much. I ended up just moving it back to Oath Storm with the full Force of Will package. I know LSV is very high on running Oath without any Forces but I just hate playing Vintage games without Force of Will.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Entropic posted:

I'm guessing just Ugin in Fate Reforged, then Bolas and Random McOtherguy in Dragons o' Tarkir.

Hopefully Narset, who is pretty heavily hinted at in one of the articles. There's even a precedent for having a regular card and a walker card in the same block, albeit in reverse order.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

Yes, I've seen it firsthand. The game knows something is wrong, so it tries to go into replay mode, but also it shuffles instead of doing the replay. This also means you end up with permanents that animate as one card but act and appear as a different one.

MTGO is laggy because of server issues, and it can bog down any rig because it has a memory leak that sometimes comes up. My PC with 8 gigs of RAM can experience the memory leak for a while before it noticeably slows down, but if the glitch happens it will eventually crash anything.

Yah, I run MtGO on a 5 and a half year old MBP. It's definitely slower than the old client, which I could run without lag in a VM, now I have to reboot into Windows, but it runs fine for a couple of hours usually. I have found lately, though, that I do have to quit and reload at least once per draft (I usually do it after the first match), or it will crash by the end of the last round, due to memory leaks I guess. Although a couple of weeks ago it was crashing so much I got fed up and I actually haven't even started it up again since then, I guess I finally hit my bullshit limit. I thought I was addicted enough to drafting that it wasn't possible, but Wizards found a way.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sickening posted:

I have always been burned on ultra pro, are the mattes actually useable?
Use KMC Hyper Mattes, they're the greatest sleeves of all time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

neetengie posted:

Use KMC Hyper Mattes, they're the greatest sleeves of all time.

Echoing this. Dragon Shields are also fine if you can keep them clean, but they'll get sticky pretty fast if you can't. Everything else I find gets bent corners really easily, so if you're not double-sleeving to give things a little extra rigidity you're going to need replacements if you plan on using them for more than one event.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
What I play:

In Legacy, I currently play Jund most frequently, but I've picked up RUG lately. RUG is a pretty big departure from the decks I tend to prefer but it's a good learning experience for me. My first Legacy deck was LED Dredge, which I still play every now and then, and then I built Pox, which I no longer play. I'm still glad I built it, though, because it let me get my Lilianas when they were $25ish, which led me to get Bobs and Scrublands for Deadguy Ale, which got me into Junk, which became Junk Depths (still one of my favorite decks, need to resleeve it; I have a feeling it should fare pretty well against the TreasURe Cruise decks at my shop), which got me most of the parts for Four-Color Loam, and by the time I was there, I pretty much had Jund. Somewhere along the line I went back and built Manaless Dredge, getting my set of Forces to try out the Blue build for a laugh, which got me my foothold into RUG, and while I was messing with that, my LEDs were free to hang out in Burning Reanimator with my Burning Wishes from Loam. Overall I tend to prefer grindy decks and combo decks that win in the combat step. Trying to decide between Infect or 12 Post next, and 12 Post is winning.

For Modern, I am literally only interested in decks with Gifts Ungiven. I prefer the Loam/Rock variant (occasionally dipping into five colors for Slaughter Games) but I liked UW Tron too. I don't play a ton of Modern lately, but it'd take either Gifts just being completely dead in the water or a viable Heartless Summoning deck to get me to play something else.

I don't play Standard; in EDH I play Hanna, Ship's Navigator Enchantments Matter because I've discovered that saying "Go ahead, I don't care" is far more powerful than saying "No;" and in Cube I play everything because Cube is the best.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Hopping Ghost posted:

For Modern, I am literally only interested in decks with Gifts Ungiven. I prefer the Loam/Rock variant (occasionally dipping into five colors for Slaughter Games) but I liked UW Tron too. I don't play a ton of Modern lately, but it'd take either Gifts just being completely dead in the water or a viable Heartless Summoning deck to get me to play something else.
What your Gifts list? I've been interested in that as another deck to play alongside The Rock, Jund and Junk.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

neetengie posted:

What your Gifts list? I've been interested in that as another deck to play alongside The Rock, Jund and Junk.

I don't have it on hand because I literally haven't updated it since before ONS fetches were spoiled in Modern, but the build sitting in my deckbox back home looks a lot like the first one in this article. I've seen a few others with a stronger creature focus that I like, but I don't have the Hierarchs for them yet.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Entropic posted:

I think they want to keep some of the main 'walkers mono colored just so they can have them be defining characters of that color. I'd be hugely surprised if we get a multicolor Chandra, Jace or Liliana any time soon. Then again they made GB Garruk and WR / WG Ajani, so who knows?

Except Jace has a day job and can't go gallivanting around the multiverse on adventures anymore. He's going to have to retire as the face of blue anyway. (I'm pulling for Tamiyo to take over, she's the parts of blue I hold in esteem. And has an outfit I really wish I had the figure to wear as cosplay.)

Still, has no one even heard of The Purifying Fire? If Chandra multicolors it's going to be into white.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 7, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

suicidesteve posted:

My computer got all new parts around February/March this year. MTGO is choppy as gently caress if you do anything stupid like going into your collection or starting a trade, and the in-game interface gets progressively slower the more you play. After about 10 or so games it becomes nearly unplayable and forces a restart. Certain buttons can take seconds to show any kind of response when you click on them. It's actually kind of mindboggling to think that modern high-resolution FPSes with graphical effects coming out of their asses run perfectly smoothly on this machine, but a program that needs to display 20 bitmaps on screen at the same time just breaks down.

xeose4 posted:

I can definitely see a Green villain, that's why I said most colours are neutrally balanced. If I can see a villain and a hero of the same colour (and, obviously, a neutral person), then I consider the colour to be balanced in that regard. However, try as I might, it's very hard for me to imagine a Black-aligned hero.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Ostensibly Toshiro Umezawa from Kamigawa is supposed to be a black hero (with Takeshi Konda being a white villain), but I don't know enough about the storyline to tell. I think the closest we have to a black hero today is Sorin, and he's been part-white recently. Nevertheless, he is currently desperately trying to prevent a multiverse-shattering cataclysm, and even if that's at least in part self-preservation, he's putting himself at some real risk in fighting the Eldrazi so directly.

It really doesn't help that Magic is, primarily, a game about wizards magically punching each other. Zombies and demons and vampires are cool, so what are you going to do? Not have them in your game centered on wizards summoning awesome magical creatures? Not likely -- so you put them in the color that fits them thematically, and once again black looks like it's about nothing but death and evil and kicking puppies.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I play limited, and I'm very slowly building a modern esper control deck by swapping what I pull in draft and at prereleases. My last three acquisitions have been my first fetch, my first snapcaster, and my first cryptic, so I'm moving up in the world!

• Locked thread