Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For Eden, if you manually quit your run, do you lose a token? Or is it only on death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Wugga posted:

Picked up Ipecac during a completely doomed run (Necropolis II, abysmal fire rate, minimum damage, no good items) to see if it still sucks. Things got slightly better. Came across My Reflection, thinking: "maybe they changed this combination, maybe it's actually good this time."

Spent 5 minutes trying to kill a single charger maggot in a long vertical room. Killed by own explosion in the next.

Decided to try challenges. "Oh, Suicide King, that seems appropriate."

:negative:

The worst thing about Suicide King is that you have to take it all the way to the cathedral. That and Family Man are probably the hardest challenges in my eyes.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

13/f/cali posted:

The worst thing about Suicide King is that you have to take it all the way to the cathedral. That and Family Man are probably the hardest challenges in my eyes.

It pretty much requires invincibility items or some such. After a few floors I sort of got the tear movement down and could hit enemies most of the time before it turned back to me (protip: watch the ipecac shot's shadow), but it's downright impossible to not get hit at all by your own explosions. Plus if you accidentally miss you can't even concentrate on killing enemies since you're just running away from that stupid ball and holy poo poo is it EVER coming down!?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
My Eden character got a weird white smear as a usable item, it has six notches on its charge meter, but when i press space, even in a room with enemies, it changes color briefly, changes back, and refills the one notch it lost.. any idea what it is?

Edit : if I hold it down, it slowly empties and Isaac slowly turns blue, and when it hits 0 I take damage.. what in the world? Is this like a 'suffocate yourself with a plastic bag for no benefit' item?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

My Eden character got a weird white smear as a usable item, it has six notches on its charge meter, but when i press space, even in a room with enemies, it changes color briefly, changes back, and refills the one notch it lost.. any idea what it is?

Edit : if I hold it down, it slowly empties and Isaac slowly turns blue, and when it hits 0 I take damage.. what in the world? Is this like a 'suffocate yourself with a plastic bag for no benefit' item?

Did you read the pickup text?

"Invincibility at a cost."

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Read posted:

Did you read the pickup text?

"Invincibility at a cost."

Didn't pick it up, started with it - that's a pretty interesting item then.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Beans! is the worst loving thing and I'm glad I never have to touch it again.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
PY38
PCH7

Has literally the worst room I have ever seen, two (maybe three?) to the left of the start of floor two. It's a loving meat grinder. Needs to be seen to be believed.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Wugga posted:

It pretty much requires invincibility items or some such. After a few floors I sort of got the tear movement down and could hit enemies most of the time before it turned back to me (protip: watch the ipecac shot's shadow), but it's downright impossible to not get hit at all by your own explosions. Plus if you accidentally miss you can't even concentrate on killing enemies since you're just running away from that stupid ball and holy poo poo is it EVER coming down!?

I managed it but it was a really clutch Isaac fight even with 5 hearts left going in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dewgy posted:

PY38
PCH7

Has literally the worst room I have ever seen, two (maybe three?) to the left of the start of floor two. It's a loving meat grinder. Needs to be seen to be believed.

Yeah that room is complete garbage. There isn't even a safe spot for your to gather your bearings and figure out the flow of the spikes. To be honest I'm kind of sick of the rooms in this game that throw something at you literally the second you walk through the door.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The dead boy achievement/secret appears to be bugged or something, how incredibly annoying.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Wish I remembered what item it was, but there was one that said 'immunity to curses' or similar. And I believe it did something else. Not sure what it does since I died soon after. I'd guess it makes the "curse of" stuff not happen, but no idea of it has an effect on cursed items or not.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I thought Brimstone + Mom's Knife was supposed to release a flurry of Mom's Knives? :(
I think it has to do with Azazel's Brimstone being... not Brimstone. As in Brimstone overrides his version.

Your Computer posted:

Am I missing something or does this room literally require you to take 1 heart of damage unless you have flight?

I mean, there are several rooms that you're basically doomed to take damage in, but I haven't seen one as blatant as this yet.
Calluses Trinket also makes rooms like that completely trivial. Also the ladder would help in that specific room. There's also the jump spacebar item that might help there, but I didn't take it as I already had flight at the time.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Am I missing something or does this room literally require you to take 1 heart of damage unless you have flight?

I mean, there are several rooms that you're basically doomed to take damage in, but I haven't seen one as blatant as this yet.

In my experience this room always gives you a spirit heart.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Theres'a surprising lack of reviews. It's really odd that they don't jump all over a remake of a game that sold millions of copies

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

Beans! is the worst loving thing and I'm glad I never have to touch it again.

every challenge that restricts your ability to shoot makes me want to die a little every time i attempt one. except maybe solar system which is kinda okay

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

It's because there are more bomb modifiers. So Dr. Fetus/bombs on their own is bad. Dr. Fetus with the items that stuns all enemies when bombs go off, or the tear bombs, or so on...

Actually no, Fetus bombs dont do damage based on what types of bombs you have, such as the tear bombs, poop, etc. I just had a run with tear bombs and dr. fetus, and the fetus' bombs were based off of my stats. This is the reason they seem to suck big time now, they're based on your damage stat. Unless that's near max it really isnt worth picking up Fetus imo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Logan 5 posted:

Actually no, Fetus bombs dont do damage based on what types of bombs you have, such as the tear bombs, poop, etc. I just had a run with tear bombs and dr. fetus, and the fetus' bombs were based off of my stats. This is the reason they seem to suck big time now, they're based on your damage stat. Unless that's near max it really isnt worth picking up Fetus imo.

Ah, shame to hear that.

Also, loving hell, the planets challenge...

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

I just got Dr Fetus and Ipecac on one run as Samson and it appears one of those two, or having both, no longer has your bombs hurt you.

Seed was VR27 7Z8K if you have both of those unlocked. It's a crazy OP run.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I finally got around to trying this a little while ago, but it turns out my laptop is old and lovely and the game runs at like half speed. Sad times for me.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So it turns out having a full 3 generic fly orbitals makes you completely immune to bullets due to the size change from the original.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I thought that maybe Sheoul and the rest of it was just faster to make it harder, but no, just my lovely laptop slowing things down due to the Womb filter.

Also managed to unlock Necropolis since I'd never beaten the Cage (thank god) until I beat it in Sheoul. Now to just beat Satan and stuff until I get the Negative Polaroid? Then maybe I might be silly enough to go to the Cathedral, I dunno.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty bummed out that it doesn't seem possible to transfer saves between my mac and PC. The save files are the same between versions but if I launch the game on my mac it just overwrites the transferred ones and doesn't have any of the old save data.

EDIT: Apparently this game is supposed to have steam cloud support but launching this game on my mac also cleared the save files on my PC. loving great.

Even manually putting my normal save files back doesn't work since for some reason it wants to load the ones from the steam cloud. Even disabling steam cloud/going offline from steam doesn't work. Why would the steam cloud saves take priority over my local ones without any input?

"Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata1.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata1.dat.
local revision: 1. steamcloud revision: 1, using steamcloud save file.
[warn] File C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/gamestate1.dat: Checksum invalid!
Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata2.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata2.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata3.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata3.dat.
local revision: 1. steamcloud revision: 1, using steamcloud save file."

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 7, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FYLF-Y1BK (PC)

Eden start that gave me Tammy's Head, The Tick and Pyro and Daddy Longlegs... :stare:

Edit: lovely as gently caress stats too, but with that item set I think I'll live.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 7, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh cool, Sacred Heart, magic one hit shield thing and Guppy's Head. Mama's Boy and first Cathedral win yes please. Pretty powerful Isaac run, but WHERE IS THE D6? Isaac is boring as poo poo without it.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Oh cool, Sacred Heart, magic one hit shield thing and Guppy's Head. Mama's Boy and first Cathedral win yes please. Pretty powerful Isaac run, but WHERE IS THE D6? Isaac is boring as poo poo without it.

You need to beat Isaac with ??? to get the D6 now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wow Coal and Anti Grav go together really well. I didn't expect the tears to charge while stationary. When I also got Sacred Heart everything got slaughtered. The most memorable moment was probably when I did a boss challenge room, and had both bosses instantly gibbed by the huge tears floating around in the room. Mom's Heart suffered a similar fate.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

This is a room on Necropolis. Hope you weren't going for Dark Boy!!! :)

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Andrast posted:

I'm pretty bummed out that it doesn't seem possible to transfer saves between my mac and PC. The save files are the same between versions but if I launch the game on my mac it just overwrites the transferred ones and doesn't have any of the old save data.

EDIT: Apparently this game is supposed to have steam cloud support but launching this game on my mac also cleared the save files on my PC. loving great.

Even manually putting my normal save files back doesn't work since for some reason it wants to load the ones from the steam cloud. Even disabling steam cloud/going offline from steam doesn't work. Why would the steam cloud saves take priority over my local ones without any input?

"Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata1.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata1.dat.
[warn] File C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/gamestate1.dat: Checksum invalid!
Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata2.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata2.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from Steam Cloud: persistentgamedata3.dat.
Loading PersistentGameData from disk: C:\Users\Omena/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/persistentgamedata3.dat.
local revision: 1. steamcloud revision: 1, using steamcloud save file."

I got hit with the save deletion bug yesterday, and had a friend send me a save file. Initially I had the same problem as you, but I figured out that it isn't actually loading the save file from the location stated in that file. Go to whichever harddrive has steam installed (if it's different than where Isaac is) and run a search for persistentgamedata1.dat. For me, this was located in I:\Steam\userdata\41318113\250900\remote (despite Isaac being installed on D: and the save files supposedly being stored on C:) and THOSE were what I had to rewrite on the PC version for it to register.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Spoilers about Endings 14, 15 and 16 ahead

Pretty sure Ending 16, and really, the entire game, represents Isaac transitioning from being an obedient child to a rebellious kid and eventual rebellious teenager. I think the game is literally "No gently caress YOU, Mom."

Overall plot, to me, is basically that Isaac's parents split, dad walked out, and mom turned to religion for support because being a single mom (and possibly having lost another child, though more on that later) is rough. Isaac thinks his mom's punishment when he misbehaves are motivated by her religious beliefs, and that the punishments - having toys taken away, being told to go to his room - are unfair. In a fit of rage he hides in his toy chest, thinking 'this will show Mom, she'll be so sad when she can't find me and thinks I'm missing or dead and gone.' Except it works. Mom misses Isaac hidden underneath his toys entirely, calling out for him. She leaves to canvass the neighborhood and find her missing son. He, meanwhile, continues to fume and rage in his toy chest, and eventually decides to rebel against his mother entirely.

It's really what Endings 14, 15, and 16 say to me. 14 is the pictures ending know from WotL. 15 is after you kill The Lamb and shows Mom out searching for Isaac and putting up Missing posters. 16 shows Isaac, very much alive (Who is Blue? My guess is a sister, Maggie, who we see in the pictures in 14. Maggie died and is Blue, and the grief from it drove Isaac's parents apart), hyperventilating in The Chest, and flashing between looking like himself and looking like Azazel, before eventually settling on Azazel.

Hopefully there's an Ending 17 that gives us a little more resolution than Ending 16.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Are...are attack flies based off of your damage? Because I was doing the Slow Roll challenge (which starts you with Polyphemus, piercing tears and boomerang tears with an absurd attack score) and I watched a single attack fly just fly down and gib a Pin spawn in Necropolis II.

For reference, I had enough damage to literally one-shot Mom at the end.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Are...are attack flies based off of your damage?

Yeah, I think they did 2x your damage in the original. I just watched Richard_Hammer one shot blue baby with a fly on stream.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I kinda wish I was good enough for the Boy achievements. I have this sick skill in always getting hit in the first room of each new floor and it infuriates me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

NoUU posted:

Yeah, I think they did 2x your damage in the original. I just watched Richard_Hammer one shot blue baby with a fly on stream.

Well, that explains why I one-shot Pin with a fly.

Also, if you haven't done the Slow Roll challenge yet, do so. It's a great way to unwind as Isaac starts off more or less throwing dumptrucks at enemies.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dizz posted:

I kinda wish I was good enough for the Boy achievements. I have this sick skill in always getting hit in the first room of each new floor and it infuriates me.

You need to be playing Samson then

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

E Coli (poopy touch) and Midas Touch has a chance to turn some enemies into gold poop.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Darkness Descends is like stepping into a parallel universe where Eve is a fun character. I wish she had the razorblade by default.

Also with Curse of the Blind I randomly traded two hearts for items on depths 2 and became Guppy

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Uggggggh, the one thing I dislike about this game is due to its RNG nature, you can end up with a really boring, dull run where you get no familiars, no big damage items, no orbitals and just bang your head against the wall until you run out of health pickups. Pretty Fly is by far the best endgame item because it makes the tough bosses at the end not a damage race. Because if it is, they will win. Especially if the only damage boost you get is Growth Hormones.

I might just end up beating everything on Hard with Azazel, because it'll be a lot easier than clearing Normal with some characters...

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

Magres posted:

Spoilers about Endings 14, 15 and 16 ahead

Pretty sure Ending 16, and really, the entire game, represents Isaac transitioning from being an obedient child to a rebellious kid and eventual rebellious teenager. I think the game is literally "No gently caress YOU, Mom."

Overall plot, to me, is basically that Isaac's parents split, dad walked out, and mom turned to religion for support because being a single mom (and possibly having lost another child, though more on that later) is rough. Isaac thinks his mom's punishment when he misbehaves are motivated by her religious beliefs, and that the punishments - having toys taken away, being told to go to his room - are unfair. In a fit of rage he hides in his toy chest, thinking 'this will show Mom, she'll be so sad when she can't find me and thinks I'm missing or dead and gone.' Except it works. Mom misses Isaac hidden underneath his toys entirely, calling out for him. She leaves to canvass the neighborhood and find her missing son. He, meanwhile, continues to fume and rage in his toy chest, and eventually decides to rebel against his mother entirely.

It's really what Endings 14, 15, and 16 say to me. 14 is the pictures ending know from WotL. 15 is after you kill The Lamb and shows Mom out searching for Isaac and putting up Missing posters. 16 shows Isaac, very much alive (Who is Blue? My guess is a sister, Maggie, who we see in the pictures in 14. Maggie died and is Blue, and the grief from it drove Isaac's parents apart), hyperventilating in The Chest, and flashing between looking like himself and looking like Azazel, before eventually settling on Azazel.

Hopefully there's an Ending 17 that gives us a little more resolution than Ending 16.

Spoilers/speculation regarding (as of yet not found) final secrets
There are apparently achievements (THE MIND, THE BODY, THE SOUL) for beating 3 different bosses with a character called THE LOST, which could give the 17th ending. As far as I can tell, no one has figured out how to do that yet. There are various new unlockable items that could be involved, including a missing poster trinket. Edmund gave some hints about the involvement of the said item pre-release http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/23palp/the_text_is_pretty_unreadable_but_i_think_i_did_a/ .

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Novasol posted:

I got hit with the save deletion bug yesterday, and had a friend send me a save file. Initially I had the same problem as you, but I figured out that it isn't actually loading the save file from the location stated in that file. Go to whichever harddrive has steam installed (if it's different than where Isaac is) and run a search for persistentgamedata1.dat. For me, this was located in I:\Steam\userdata\41318113\250900\remote (despite Isaac being installed on D: and the save files supposedly being stored on C:) and THOSE were what I had to rewrite on the PC version for it to register.

This worked. Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
We've been thru this discussion before but Dark Bum's super-broken. I almost hosed up an Azazel run picking up Technology, then I got Dark Bum and a Soul Converter. GGPO. Finished the run with 12 red hearts and got my fifth win, finally. Now, for some challenges.