Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

It has the same effect as Rain-X but instead of getting a week or two out of a single application you get several months between applications. In my experience you can do the front glass (windshield, driver/passenger windows and mirrors) with two applicators on something that isn't a land barge. Its more expensive and harder to find than rain-x but well worth the effort. If you buy in bulk on Amazon they're less than $5 per applicator.

I didn't get to apply mine yet but that's what I heard pretty much. I don't have any experience with Rain-X as it's not widely available here, which is why I had to import this in the first place. Also the applicators being pretty compact helped too, as I didn't want to carry multiple bottles in the luggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Geoj posted:

It has the same effect as Rain-X but instead of getting a week or two out of a single application you get several months between applications. In my experience you can do the front glass (windshield, driver/passenger windows and mirrors) with two applicators on something that isn't a land barge. Its more expensive and harder to find than rain-x but well worth the effort. If you buy in bulk on Amazon they're less than $5 per applicator.

I got this last time I repaired my windshield and it does last a long time. I still see some effects 4-5 months later. It was perfect all summer and didn't really notice it becoming less effective until this past month. I don,t think those product are worth it due to the climate of my area and the kind of driving I do, but the product is really really good at doing what it does. I'd buy some if I lived in a rainier place and if I did more driving on the highway.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Nov 7, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just ordered a 6 pack of these things from Amazon. I've lost track of how many purchases I've made because of this thread. You all need to stop buying poo poo.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just ordered a 6 pack of these things from Amazon. I've lost track of how many purchases I've made because of this thread. You all need to stop buying poo poo.

Best thread on SA for the consumer whore in all of us.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Oh yeah, I also ordered rain-x anti fog and water repellent thing.

And here's a bunch of stuff I recently bought:

A poo poo load of technical pens/stylographs:

There's a set of 7 Koh-I-Noor what came with dried ink in them.
I've restored four of them, the other three are still soaking(not pictured).
I also got a lot of random mars700/marsmatic with a couple of Alvin Reform and an oldie Rotring Variant and a Koh-I-Noor for parts. (more not pictured)
It came with a few extra nibs and also all in fairly poor condition with petrified ink. It'll take a while to reconstitute them but it'll be nice to have parts and to be able to compare to different brands.

You can see here also a set of 3 Rotring Rapidograph I got for cheap and an Isograph which I had before.

There's also another set of Rotring 2000s that's coming in that was also virtually a steal. The whole set for what one would cost normally.

I pretty much just stalked the technical pen/rapidograph sales on ebay for a while and waited for auctions that didn't go over 20-25$. These sets can go for between 60$-40$ most of the time but every once in a while one would slip by and go for less. I know how to clean and rejuvenate them so it's p cool.

Pretty spiffy.

Two Pez dispensers:

This sleeve thing or case or something:

I rummaged through a bargain bin at a local store and haggled with the owner down to free.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've tried rainx antifog and have never had a good experience with it. Car is an '05 impreza wagon and even immediately after applying the rainx stuff I was fogging up any time I didn't have the ac/defrost running. Is it possible I made a mistake in applying it? Any tips or tricks to getting it done right that aren't included in the directions?

As far as i can tell all weather seals are in tact and not leaking a bunch of air/moisture into the cabin, but who can really know for sure? Also i live in the PNW so this time of year is generally pretty wet and i think that could olay a part. I should also mention that I'm left with a visible residue separate from the fogging up I get. Did I apply to much or not wipe it down thoroughly enough?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's ok you seem to buy fairly normal type things.

What ever happened to that guy that would buy $10,000 foot stools and had the worst taste in clothing?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The only lip balm that isn't designed to secretly chap you even more. Originally developed for cancer patients. Hello winter.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

It's ok you seem to buy fairly normal type things.

What ever happened to that guy that would buy $10,000 foot stools and had the worst taste in clothing?

I wish Woot Fatigue was still posting in this thread.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

I wish Woot Fatigue was still posting in this thread.

Ah yeah that was him

Wallet for a Christmas gift

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Pick posted:

The only lip balm that isn't designed to secretly chap you even more. Originally developed for cancer patients. Hello winter.

Link, please? I live in the desert and have an autoimmune disease that dries me out; this seems like something I need.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Geoj posted:

OK I'm in too. Just bought 2 to try out. Read some good things about longevity against Rain-X.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Hellbeard posted:

Oh yeah, I also ordered rain-x anti fog and water repellent thing.

And here's a bunch of stuff I recently bought:

A poo poo load of technical pens/stylographs:

I've got a set of those kohinoor rapidographs. I think maybe 4 of them ever got ink put in them for one class and now they're in a box somewhere. I guess I should draw stuff some time.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
Three tickets to see Jack White in January. The husband and I are taking our son as a Christmas gift. It's my gift too, I'm pretty excited.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

jamal posted:

I've got a set of those kohinoor rapidographs. I think maybe 4 of them ever got ink put in them for one class and now they're in a box somewhere. I guess I should draw stuff some time.

Yes— Yes, let the China Black flow through you young grasshopper.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I never used them much because as I recall they have to be straight up and down to make a proper line.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

LivesInGrey posted:

Link, please? I live in the desert and have an autoimmune disease that dries me out; this seems like something I need.

You seriously didn't just search amazon?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pukestain Pal posted:

You seriously didn't just search amazon?

^^^
I hope I can get one from CVS for not :10bux:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I remember having an entire set of encylopedias my parents somehow managed to get through a grocery store promotion. I'm glad working families no longer have to find space for those anymore.

Also they bought the first two volumes of "The Volume Library" that college students were peddling back in the 90s. I actually got a lot of use out of those in middle school.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I remember having an entire set of encylopedias my parents somehow managed to get through a grocery store promotion. I'm glad working families no longer have to find space for those anymore.

Me too. It was a new volume a week when doing the grocery shopping.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Also they bought the first two volumes of "The Volume Library" that college students were peddling back in the 90s. I actually got a lot of use out of those in middle school.

My uncle had a set and I would routinely borrow one of them for random stuff at school. It's sort of weird being in the generation that both used actual encyclopedias and the internet during my schooling years.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I remember "loaning" the A-encyclopedia from our set to a girl in the 4th or 5th grade. My father never let me hear the end of that poo poo...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finally got motivated enough to buy a new winter jacket to replace the tent-sized 15 year old jacket I used. Olive and light blue and green were on special order. Shop had dark blue and black on stock. And this.

Fjällräven Greenland Winter Parka. Way too expensive (350 eur) for what it is.. a cheap simple made in Vietnam jacket, but often your options are limited in the arse end of nowhere (Finland).

With L size chest circumference is over 20cm shorter. M would have been still 6cm smaller, but it felt too restricting while sitting and doing stuff with my hands.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Not me but went shopping with my kid today to spend some money she got from my family for her 7th birthday.
Obviously she wasted it on crap...

I'm either doing something right or definitely doing something wrong....

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LivesInGrey posted:

I get them in 6-packs from Amazon. They last a good while so it's not a problem to pay a little more.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Just bought one of the best movies ever. Amazon same-day shipping in Vancouver, :hellyeah:

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Nov 8, 2014

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Found an ebay store locally that sells refurbished and minor-scratched tv's, so decided to see what all the fuss is about with 3D

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Not me but went shopping with my kid today to spend some money she got from my family for her 7th birthday.
Obviously she wasted it on crap...

I'm either doing something right or definitely doing something wrong....

Definitely something right, although I can't imagine my own daughter wanting to watch Alien.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Ihmemies posted:

Finally got motivated enough to buy a new winter jacket to replace the tent-sized 15 year old jacket I used. Olive and light blue and green were on special order. Shop had dark blue and black on stock. And this.

Fjällräven Greenland Winter Parka. Way too expensive (350 eur) for what it is.. a cheap simple made in Vietnam jacket, but often your options are limited in the arse end of nowhere (Finland).

With L size chest circumference is over 20cm shorter. M would have been still 6cm smaller, but it felt too restricting while sitting and doing stuff with my hands.

And then the retailers complain that people betray their fellow country men for foreign online stores. I got my Makia parka for half the price it's here.

This was bought locally though.

Samsøe & Samsøe :denmark:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I was thinking the same thing. I never used them much because as I recall they have to be straight up and down to make a proper line.

I find that it depends on the size of the tip and the viscosity of the ink. With the thinner nibs I can p much draw like normal. With thicker nibs it needs more contact area with the hole at the tip. Afterwards, though, if the ink is more watery it's possible the capillary action of the paper can be enough to pull the ink out of the pen and overcome the surface tension that's trying to keep the ink inside. So you can start out directly vertical to create larger contact area and then continue from then normal like.

I've been using them a bit and I can definitely say they're super fun and nice and I really like them. I recommend heavy weight paper with smooth surface. Also, you can keep a little scrap on the side to get the pen going just before using it on your art or whatever.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

On sale for €14.99. Not bad.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
http://www.killstar.com/products/god-pom-pom-beanie

I just bought this hat and its loving awesome. No regrets.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Ihmemies posted:

I'm sure you could have found a nice jacket here: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/

Good store, and good service.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Definitely something right, although I can't imagine my own daughter wanting to watch Alien.

She's never seen any Alien movie and would be terrified if she did (she's a terrible wimp about monsters, Doctor Who is her limit on scariness.) although I'm sure she's picked up on them through cultural osmosis.
They had the Alien toy in the same shop we got the Minecraft sword from and for some reason she took a shine to it...

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

although I'm sure she's picked up on them through cultural osmosis.

Its funny that you mention this, as I just watched Alien for the first time (I'm 31) and I felt like I had already seen the entire movie. So many movies have paid homage or straight stolen parts of that movie I couldn't believe it.

My recent purchase was:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kidney Stone posted:

I'm sure you could have found a nice jacket here: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/

Good store, and good service.

I don't like to buy clothes without trying them on and comparing between different sizes. Also varusteleka sells mostly dark colored / green / camo clothing :/

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

https://www.holidaybullshit.com/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah I hit buy so fast it wasn't funny.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Same here. I didn't go for it last year and regret it. I hope they do another "YOUR NAME" card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

I am so excited.