Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Undead Hippo posted:

Yep! Taking a deal with the devil locks you out of angel rooms for that run. "Taking" means paying Hearts for something, opening the red chests or grabbing items from the floor is fine.

I don't think this is necessarily the case anymore. I've gotten angel rooms after making devil deals. I'm assuming it has something to do with the whole "faith" stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I got Guppy and unlocked Cain and Lazarus in my very first run. I love this game.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I thought someone else said that in Rebirth (unlike vanilla Isaac) it would boost your angel room chances if you didn't even enter the devil room when it was presented to you?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Mom's Knife + Soy Milk is a game-ending combo. The knife does far less damage than normal, passes through enemies too quickly, and goes flying at the slightest touch just trying to turn it around. I think I'm a pretty decent player, but Leeches demolished me when I just didn't have good options to kill them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh for fucks sake. Three floors, no keys, every item room locked. gently caress you game

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Magres posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Three floors, no keys, every item room locked. gently caress you game

Got a seed? I'm curious and collecting terrible seeds.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Magres posted:

Secret room is normally wedged between two important rooms. The shop or prize room is just two bombs away my friend

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MrBims posted:

Mom's Knife + Soy Milk is a game-ending combo. The knife does far less damage than normal, passes through enemies too quickly, and goes flying at the slightest touch just trying to turn it around. I think I'm a pretty decent player, but Leeches demolished me when I just didn't have good options to kill them.

Technology is weak as hell too. Yeah you get good range but drat do you have to pound on things to kill them without an upgrade.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Just did the boss rush. Playing as Azazel and had Mom's Knife. Went in with almost two full rows of explosive hearts. Came out with one and my single heart container.

Yeah, didn't last too long in Utero after that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jibo posted:

I don't think this is necessarily the case anymore. I've gotten angel rooms after making devil deals. I'm assuming it has something to do with the whole "faith" stat.

yeah, i'm assuming that taking a devil deal usually gives you a shitload of sin, enough to effectively lock out angel rooms due to some weird interaction between the two that no one understands yet. i've definitely gotten both rooms in a run and taken advantage of both but i might have had some crazy luck with balancing myself out.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Secret room is normally wedged between two important rooms. The shop or prize room is just two bombs away my friend

I was bomb starved too. YAY.

Yodzilla posted:

Technology is weak as hell too. Yeah you get good range but drat do you have to pound on things to kill them without an upgrade.

The horizontal hitbox is also buggy and significantly below where the laser shows up. Shame, Technology used to be one of my favorite things to mess around with.

E: Also, no seed :( I ragequit after the third floor of no items and started a new run

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Have the secret room rules changed significantly? I'm having a hell of a time finding them now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I don't think so. There seems to be more of them though, if I have something that reveals them all there's quite often two per level.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My game install is glitched to hell because there's no loving way the RNG legitimately gave me lard in the basement 1 item room for thirteen runs in a row.

Holy poo poo.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I don't think so. There seems to be more of them though, if I have something that reveals them all there's quite often two per level.

There's always been 2 per level. One is in between 2 rooms. The other is connected only to one room.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

My game install is glitched to hell because there's no loving way the RNG legitimately gave me lard in the basement 1 item room for thirteen runs in a row.

Holy poo poo.

Maybe the game is trying to tell you something, fatty.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SuicideSnowman posted:

There's always been 2 per level. One is in between 2 rooms. The other is connected only to one room.

:pwn: Welp I learned a thing.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm not sure the Dark Bum is that much better than the old Mitre, actually. (Not sure what the new one does.) Looking at Color Printer's pastebin, the Mitre turns half your heart drops into soul hearts. On average, half the red heart drops you lose will be full hearts, and the other half will be half hearts. So on average you get 1 soul heart for every 1.5 red hearts, to the Dark Bum's 1 soul heart per 1 red heart. Also, in the old Binding of Isaac you could have as many soul hearts as you wanted and Hard Mode with its limited heart drops didn't exist. So I think it's a fair comparison.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Shears are incredible now. I just had an Eden run where he had them to start off with. Most bosses didn't even get a chance to attack, and the boss rush took about two minutes.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

What's the extra new character? I've got lazarus, eden and azazel.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Read posted:

You can just continue, it'll put you at the beginning of the floor usually.
Well I'll be, it worked. A handy win there.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Can someone explain Lazarus to me? What's his gimmick? He just seems to be Isaac with an extra life and some sort of one time use consumable?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

larchesdanrew posted:

Can someone explain Lazarus to me? What's his gimmick? He just seems to be Isaac with an extra life and some sort of one time use consumable?

When he dies he gets the Anemia item, which gives him a toxic blood trail when he's hit.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Let him die.

No, seriously.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good god. :stare:

So Bisnap had a Magic Mushroom and both parts of Cricket, then hit a D6 room that rerolled him. It looks like he has 3-Dollar Bill, Chocolate Milk, and piercing tears... but then he picked up Ring Worm and everything just turned silly.

This game is amazing.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

kalonZombie posted:

Just did the boss rush. Playing as Azazel and had Mom's Knife. Went in with almost two full rows of explosive hearts. Came out with one and my single heart container.

Yeah, didn't last too long in Utero after that.

It seems like Mom's Knife doesn't have too many things it synergizes with. I had a brimstone/mom's knife run, and the flurry of knives didn't do that much damage. It feels like most of the damage from the knife comes from when you manage to hit it at the edge of its range so it hits multiple times. With Brim/Knife, each knife travels so fast that it's only going to hit once and do minimal damage.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't expect a boss rush or for mom's heart to be a bullet hell. I really didn't expect them to be so easy but Azazel is bonkers.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So I remember someone saying that 'luck pills' not giving a full bar. And I got lucky enough to get three luck pills at once, due to coin purse, I believe.

Anyways, I checked my luck stat. One bar. I kept checking after using each pill. First one, still was at one bar, second got to two, third got to three.

I think what is happening is negative stats still display as '1'. Or at least luck does. So items like Soymilk might not actually permanently set your damage to 1, but instead set it to some negative number that acts as if it's 1, or whatever the lowest damage is. That makes some sense considering someone got soy milk, maybe some other stuff, and then Libra and it started doing a ton of damage.

Volt Catfish posted:

They nerf Cain, buff Samson, and keep Eve the (same) shittiest character. Makes no drat sense.
Ed has said that some characters are meant to be harder than others. "Balanced, but not statwise" was also said in that same tumblr post.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eve is a big case of either drought or downpour because on average she'll be fairly generic but at times she can trash everything if things work out in your favor

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
But I mean Judas exists to be playable as a more consistent eve right? I mean, at least in the glass cannon department. Eve technically has more gimmicks than just a glass cannon though, which is why they're separate characters etc.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zoness posted:

But I mean Judas exists to be playable as a more consistent eve right? I mean, at least in the glass cannon department. Eve technically has more gimmicks than just a glass cannon though, which is why they're separate characters etc.

judas is technically more reliable but the time you can spend being powerful is also more strictly limited. but yeah, they're distinct enough. the different stats always help, too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kgummy posted:

Ed has said that some characters are meant to be harder than others. "Balanced, but not statwise" was also said in that same tumblr post.

No I'm sure there's some secret advantage to playing as ???. Its not just torturing yourself. :shepface:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

No I'm sure there's some secret advantage to playing as ???. Its not just torturing yourself. :shepface:

IIRC in original BoI ??? always had Whore of Babylon activated so that's cool. Also always paid soul hearts for devil room upgrades and was maybe more likely to get soul hearts?

I mean once you made it to the womb isaac was also basically ??? anyway so v:shobon:v.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Jibo posted:

Same here.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Get Eve down to one full red heart, keep her there (or go full Spirit Hearts with Guppy's Paw) and activate permanent Whore of Babylon. Makes her a lot better.

Anyway, I'm doing a Maggy run and Soy Milk + Mom's Contact is an incredible combo. Enemies are nearly permanently frozen, its great.

Edit. Guppy gives you so many flies with Soy Milk, its obscene. :stare:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Internet Kraken posted:

The secret advantage to playing as ??? is to unlock the d6 and making Isaac the most broken character.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly the thing that bugs me about ??? isn't his complete lack of health but rather that you start with the shittiest spacebar item. Its just insultingly bad.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly the thing that bugs me about ??? isn't his complete lack of health but rather that you start with the shittiest spacebar item. Its just insultingly bad.

I get it. But wouldn't you rather say it's excrementally bad?

But petrified poop buffs it!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poo poo, I get to Sheol for the first time and lose like half my hearts. Then Satan's third form kills me. :sigh: Those bomb leech things suck when you have no range. I can't feel too bad about it since I played the original BoI like twice and have only done 18 runs of this, though.

Is Sheol unlocked for good now that I've been there once? From what I understand, it's always an option after you've killed mom's heart ten times (I've done it four times, including this failed run) and before that you need a lot of sin for the door to appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finally beat "Cat got your tongue" challenge. loving hell.

The secret?

Pray for a Brimstone Baby.