Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

Slott's also writing an Allred drawn Silver Surfer, there's no justice.

Silver Surfer is pretty good in my opinion though. Just because the name Slott is on the cover doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Decius posted:

Silver Surfer is pretty good in my opinion though. Just because the name Slott is on the cover doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

Isn't that Slott's Doctor Who fanfic with the Silver Surfer pasted in his place?

Granted it can't be worse than his Spider-Man fanfiction.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Decius posted:

It's not bad if you're ok with it being literally Doctor Who.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

Just because the name Slott is on the cover doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

I could type 10,000 words to the contrary.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spiderverse is off to a good start. Don't care much for the villains, but I'm loving all the Spider-People. Where's the Spider-Man that's still possessed by the symbiote? You'd think that'd be an obvious one to include.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They probably went to recruit him, saw what he was like, and decided that maybe letting the Inheritors eat just one more totem wouldn't end up as bad as having a symbiote in their secret base would. But they've also got Doc Ock on their side so, ...

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 6, 2014

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

A better issue than I expected.

Some speculation: I assume Old Man Spider-man is the black sheep Inheritor, and it's already been established that they can snack on cosmic power so Enigma Force Spidey is probably lunch in the 2nd/3rd act.

Also assume Scion = Spider-Scion a 2014 FR-S from a parody of the Cars universe. (or Miles)

Vishass fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Slott is trying so hard to make Ham his very own Rocket Raccoon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Here's an interesting interview with Ron Frenz on Spider-Girl and Spider-Verse. Why am I not surprised editorial wanted her parents killed?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

One of the best things about Spider-Verse so far is that in one issue Spider-Gwen has already surpassed how ever many issues of Spider-Girl there was, quality wise.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

One of the best things about Spider-Verse so far is that in one issue Spider-Gwen has already surpassed how ever many issues of Spider-Girl there was, quality wise.

You take that back!

radlum
May 13, 2013

Suben posted:

The Inheritors are so goddamn bad. Every last one of them.

On the flipside Spider-Verse Team-Up made me wish Stern would get another shot on Spider-Man.

I am excited at the team up of all the Spider-People but the villains are just not interesting. Morlun, Older Morlum, Scholarly Morlum and the Morlunette Twins aren't very exciting. Why is the Morlun's Father face hidden? Is it supposed to be a reveal for later? If so, I'm betting it's either Ezekiel or another Peter.

For a minute I was actually worried about Kaine, he was made an interesting character in these few years and seeing him go down like a chump would be dissapointing.

Downton Webby and Benedict Cumber-Bug are better names than Spider-UK. Still, it wasn't bad and I'm mildly excited for the event, as long as the cool alternate Spiders don't become useless fodder

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Silk is a terrible character. Both for her innate lameness and what she is bringing to this story.

All the weird and cool spider-ladies they could have brought through from one of these other dimensions, but we get someone who's fine with being locked in a room for all of spider-man's publication history, has had two terrible costumes in just a few months, has uncontrollable urges for spider-sex, and has the exact same origin as Peter. It's all just so terribly lame.

I think I have Slott fatigue.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

They are all Spider-Men/Women. They all have the exact same origin.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Except for the ones that don't. Like Sp//dr, for one thing. Or Miguel, or Aaron Aikman, or...

I mean yeah, a lot of them have the same/similar origin, but there's still outliers.

Besides, Silk literally has the exact same origin as 616 Peter. It was the same spider and everything.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

And Miles has the same origin as Ultimate Peter because it's effectively the same spider. And Spider-Gwen has the same origin as Miles because it's the same spider just a dimension removed and so on.

They're all just variants of got bitten by radioactive spider and use the name Spider-Whatever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Has the cool Mary Jane Spider-Woman from Exiles shown up to be thrown into a meatgrinder or whatever?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haven't seen her. Though it's probably for the best if you have alternate versions that you are fond of not being used. Like we haven't seen Earth X Peter and Mayday. Or Spider-Phoenix.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just want Silk to be a good character, but Slott just keeps on slapping these tropes on her. Ninja mask, sexy Asian lady rolling around the bed with a "natural" instinct to gently caress our white hero... it's like a creepy white guy's wet dream of what an Asian woman is.

fake edit: I googled Dan Slott and that is exactly what I expected the creator of Silk to look like.

Also, Cindy or Cynthia means moon, so we actually have a character named moon moon. like the wolf meme. what the hell.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Haven't seen her. Though it's probably for the best if you have alternate versions that you are fond of not being used. Like we haven't seen Earth X Peter and Mayday. Or Spider-Phoenix.

Earth X Mayday is part of Kang's gang.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Earth X Mayday is part of Kang's gang.

Yeah, but she's not in this event so far. Which means no slaughter for the sake of it.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waterhaul posted:

It's the retconning of Peter's origin that I don't like. She doesn't even get her own story, just gets tacked onto Peter's. But anyway, that's just one of the things I don't care for.

I hope she goes quickly into the purgotory where forgotten spiderman creations go. She can hang out with lady Doc Ock, and the folks at the Daily Grind.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Waterhaul posted:

And Miles has the same origin as Ultimate Peter because it's effectively the same spider. And Spider-Gwen has the same origin as Miles because it's the same spider just a dimension removed and so on.

They're all just variants of got bitten by radioactive spider and use the name Spider-Whatever.

Arana didn't. Though I fail to see how she'll help in the least in this situation. Unless you're just talking about other dimensions spider people.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Vishass posted:

A better issue than I expected.

Some speculation: I assume Old Man Spider-man is the black sheep Inheritor, and it's already been established that they can snack on cosmic power so Enigma Force Spidey is probably lunch in the 2nd/3rd act.

Also assume Scion = Spider-Scion a 2014 FR-S from a parody of the Cars universe. (or Miles)

Black sheep Inheritor is Karn, the guy with diving helmet. Old Man Spider-Man is probably going to be Uncle Ben if they're keeping his identity a secret.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TLG James posted:

Arana didn't. Though I fail to see how she'll help in the least in this situation. Unless you're just talking about other dimensions spider people.

Miguel has no mystical anything to him aside from Thor's hammer and there was no spider directly involved in his origin, might be why Morlun hesitated in 2099.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Amalgam comics Spider-Boy going to be in this?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Skwirl posted:

Funny as that would be, I think DC retained the rights to all the Amalgam characters.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Skwirl posted:

No. He's one of the few that isn't.

Like 60's Spider-Man and Toei Spider-Man have already shown up in this since the rights are fine but nobody is touching Amalgam stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Huh, I thought it was a joint custody type agreement.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Huh, I thought it was a joint custody type agreement.

Only for Access.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ninja mask, sexy Asian lady rolling around the bed with a "natural" instinct to gently caress our white hero... it's like a creepy white guy's wet dream of what an Asian woman is.
The dude probably has a massive blind spot in his 'progressiveness', which wouldn't surprise me one loving bit about comic writers, though you could be correct about him and "slapping tropes onto people" considering that he wrote Ms. Marvel as a ham-fisted caricature (her Captain Marvel fandom is actually much more played down in Ms. Marvel and mostly unmentioned after her #4).

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Here's an interesting interview with Ron Frenz on Spider-Girl and Spider-Verse. Why am I not surprised editorial wanted her parents killed?

There's not a whole lot in there I really disagree with. Especially about how death and shock value have been completely devalued.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You're really reaching with the ham fists. Those two issues gave you everything you need to know about the character. Of course her fan girl tendencies are going to come up, they're an endearing part of who she is. Nobody wants to give Slott any credit for giving Ms. Marvel a huge push by featuring her in Amazing loving Spider-Man.

How was Spiderverse Team Up? Local store under ordered.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Die Laughing posted:

How was Spiderverse Team Up? Local store under ordered.
Pretty decent. The Six-armed Spider-man/Noir team-up was great, and the Ben Reilly story was interesting, but felt sort of displaced. It should have been a lead-up story, not a part of the event itself.

I'm noticing that other than Patton Parnell, the writers haven't used any really evil Spider-Men yet (Spider-Carnage, Spidercide, Doppelganger, Apocalypse's Pestilence from Cable & Deadpool, etc.) I bet they're just being shunted off to the side because nobody can remember/come up with any sort of use for them.

Was Agent Venom ever supposed to be a part of this arc? I was led to believe he was, but now it seems pretty clear they're trying to keep symbiotes away from this story.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Agent Venom is a Bendis character and shunted off into space so was never going to be around. Carnage was given to SIXIS because nobody in the spider books cares to use him at the moment.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Suben posted:

There's not a whole lot in there I really disagree with. Especially about how death and shock value have been completely devalued.

Yeah, aside from it being my first comic, part of the reason why I love Spider-Girl was that it was largely free of shock value deaths and grimdarkness that are so common these days. There's not many books that can share that claim.

radlum
May 13, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just want Silk to be a good character, but Slott just keeps on slapping these tropes on her. Ninja mask, sexy Asian lady rolling around the bed with a "natural" instinct to gently caress our white hero... it's like a creepy white guy's wet dream of what an Asian woman is.

fake edit: I googled Dan Slott and that is exactly what I expected the creator of Silk to look like.

Also, Cindy or Cynthia means moon, so we actually have a character named moon moon. like the wolf meme. what the hell.

I want Silk to be an interesting character and I kind of like the ninja mask and her whole costume; I mean, Marvel's prime ninja wears basically a red swimsuit, at least Silk has pants. But I agree with the whole creepyness of "white guy's wet dream" thing; I wish they would get rid of the instinct thing altogether.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Arana didn't.

Arana didn't originally but then as Spider-Girl she did! :eng101:

...By which I mean she got spider-powers during Spider-Island. (of course in Spider-Island they were genetically engineered bedbugs IIRC and not radioactive spiders) But still, she has powers now that were conferred to her by a bug.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

I bet her middle name is Luna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

radlum posted:

I want Silk to be an interesting character and I kind of like the ninja mask and her whole costume; I mean, Marvel's prime ninja wears basically a red swimsuit, at least Silk has pants. But I agree with the whole creepyness of "white guy's wet dream" thing; I wish they would get rid of the instinct thing altogether.

I'm sure it'll be watered down and the character will be changed a lot for her own series. People mostly ignore Spider-Woman's weird and creepy pheromone stuff too for the most part.

• Locked thread