Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Kuvira should probably be actively trying to kill Korra. The next Avatar would be born into her Empire, and under her command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Chakram posted:

Kuvira should probably be actively trying to kill Korra. The next Avatar would be born into her Empire, and under her command.

Being the same nationality as the avatar didn't work out for the last guy to try and rule the Earth Kingdom/Empire

Caros
May 14, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Oh god. I knew it was coming, but that was still hard to watch. Please stop losing, Korra, I can't take this anymore :smith:

On the other hand, Kuvira's fighting style is slick as hell. It's surprisingly low-key for this show - just a little disruption here and there and, oh, flying razor-sharp manacles. And she's probably the most confident AND smuggest villain to date. Can't wait to see more.

...Korra's gotta win at some point, right?

Mark my words, Korra is going to loving wreck Kuvira towards the end of the series. She's going to have a bunch more episodes coming to terms with all of her various inner problems/dealing with lackies etc. But when it comes down to the next battle between those two its going to be Aang Vs Ozai all over again, but in 1080p.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

dj_clawson posted:

I love how "Equality" is a dirty word in the Avatar universe.

The problem is all the people who claim to want 'equality' in the world of Korra so far have just been shown to be using that as an excuse to gain power. Kuvira doesn't really care about spreading the wealth of Zaofu, she's just using that to justify her conquest. It sounds much better than "Oh well you're the last city I need and I want to finish my neat Earth Empire map..."

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Caros posted:

Mark my words, Korra is going to loving wreck Kuvira towards the end of the series. She's going to have a bunch more episodes coming to terms with all of her various inner problems/dealing with lackies etc. But when it comes down to the next battle between those two its going to be Aang Vs Ozai all over again, but in 1080p.

That was pretty much Korra vs Zaheer.

(My wild theory is that if Kuvira goes down it will be to spirits or some kind of spirit-related catastrophe from the vine experiments, and that Korra's final big bad will be more related to that instead of Kuvira herself.)

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

The problem is all the people who claim to want 'equality' in the world of Korra so far have just been shown to be using that as an excuse to gain power. Kuvira doesn't really care about spreading the wealth of Zaofu, she's just using that to justify her conquest. It sounds much better than "Oh well you're the last city I need and I want to finish my neat Earth Empire map..."

Earthbender Kings II

YorexTheMad fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 8, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Caros posted:

drat, I hope we get some lackeys to deal with. I don't know how I would deal with six more episodes of sad Korra. Com'on, just... give me a facestomping. Season 1 had Korra lose all the time too, but at least we had the Lieutenant for everybody to beat up!

It's actually quite nice to have that kind of arc - gives more meaning to it than just spiriting the poison away and be done with it -, so you'll all probably hear me singing praises once we have a conclusion. I'm just so incredibly impatient. I need to know the magnitude of asskicking that will ensue

Curse you, Avatar, for depicting depression and trauma too convincingly :smith:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Being the same nationality as the avatar didn't work out for the last guy to try and rule the Earth Kingdom/Empire

It'd be an interesting twist on Avatar if the next incarnation was raised as a superweapon for the Earth Empire, but that'd be getting into super dark territory...

Caros
May 14, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

drat, I hope we get some lackeys to deal with. I don't know how I would deal with six more episodes of sad Korra. Com'on, just... give me a facestomping. Season 1 had Korra lose all the time too, but at least we had the Lieutenant for everybody to beat up!

It's actually quite nice to have that kind of arc - gives more meaning to it than just spiriting the poison away and be done with it -, so you'll all probably hear me singing praises once we have a conclusion. I'm just so incredibly impatient. I need to know the magnitude of asskicking that will ensue

Curse you, Avatar, for depicting depression and trauma too convincingly :smith:

I'm right there with you buddy. I literally yelled "Come on!" and my monitor while watching the episode today. Sometimes you just want your characters to catch a break.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
if the Fire Nation does come to help the Republic from an Earth Empire invasion, I am half expecting Zuko to lament the fact that twice in his lifetime he's part of an invasion force of Earth Kingdom lands

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Korra's finisher better just be a straight up punch to Kuvira's jaw. It would wrap up everything non-bend/bender politics related.

But it's probably a much bigger issue than HITLER that is the big boss.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 8, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Aside from getting our hopes up again that this show is gonna have a nice ending - don't you DARE screw this one up, Avatar production crew, you don't give us such a smug fucker of a villain for nothing -, I'm honestly stumped what's gonna happen next.

I mean, technically, Kuvira's big mission is done now. What's next? Team Avatar going back in to bail out everyone / stop injustice / etc.? Kuvira's gonna invade some neighbour countries because of course she is? And the Red Lotus is going to come back in some way, I suppose... Not to mention Mako still needs something to do for the season. Can't believe we're almost halfway through.

Also, I don't think Lin is going to stay silent on this.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Torquemadras posted:

Aside from getting our hopes up again that this show is gonna have a nice ending - don't you DARE screw this one up, Avatar production crew, you don't give us such a smug fucker of a villain for nothing -, I'm honestly stumped what's gonna happen next.

I mean, technically, Kuvira's big mission is done now. What's next? Team Avatar going back in to bail out everyone / stop injustice / etc.? Kuvira's gonna invade some neighbour countries because of course she is? And the Red Lotus is going to come back in some way, I suppose... Not to mention Mako still needs something to do for the season. Can't believe we're almost halfway through.

Well, they're going to need new spirit vines after Varik blew up their supply...

Edit: Liked how the writing crew came up with their own terms for 'suicide' and 'poo poo-house rat'.

Superstring fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 8, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jackard posted:

Sixteen year timeskip!

What?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

She's gonna go after Republic City of course. She probably would anyway but now she definitely needs to for more spirit vines. This is gonna get the Fire Nation involved probably.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chakram posted:

I'm almost willing to bet that this will be explicitly stated at some point.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Avatar is told they are the Avatar at age 16, usually.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

The trailer shows Korra, Asami, and Mako protecting Wu, so Kuvira's probably going to invade Republic City next. Raiko could pull a Chamberlain and offer Wu in exchange for his own/his city's safety. This gives Mako his storyline (protect Wu, give him life lessons) and brings Lin back in. It's also a good excuse to bring Mako and Asami back into the story.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kuvira inadvertently added Red Lotus operatives to her army through her forced conscriptions. We could see them use Kuvira as an excuse to go after bigwigs in Republic City and other nations.

Just watched the episode and it was excellent. My favorite of the season so far other than "The Coronation." Perfectly balanced between Varrick/Bolin and Korra/Kuvira.

Sato fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 8, 2014

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I'm just disappointed with won't see Bolin in the Gulag superfunhappyunited camp.

Stella episode, even odds Kuvira will Zhu Li Batar Jnr then pull a Ghazan and Varrick herself.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
For a moment there it sounded like Varrick was going to say Zhu Li's name was synonymous with bitch.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rougey posted:

I'm just disappointed with won't see Bolin in the Gulag superfunhappyunited camp.

I was hoping he'd convince the downtrodden captives to believe in themselves. Bonus points if the warden is played by George Takei. :haw:

Seriously, if Daniel Dae Kim could be brought back to do a voice in Korra, why couldn't George Takei?

Felix_Cat posted:

For a moment there it sounded like Varrick was going to say Zhu Li's name was synonymous with bitch.

Poor Varrick. It's good to see sly, competent Varrick back but he's so clearly mourning his assistant. I did like how Bolin didn't/refused to pick up on his obvious clues. So glad he's stayed consistent in his loss of hero worship of Varrick.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why did Kuvira order to take disassemble the domes. They worked out well so build more domes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Precious metal resource to build more weapons.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Everyone here seems to agree that Kuvira and Korra's fight was really good, so was I the only one who apparently watched a bizarro-world of that fight where everything felt really sluggish and not very dynamic at all by this show's standards? I get the part where Korra's still not her best yet, but it seemed like they were skimping on the animation budget or something. Even most of the season 2 Studio Pierrot fights looked cleaner.

Just me?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Precious metal resource to build more weapons.

It also means that they can't be used later if they try to rebel after she goes off with her army.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I really, really enjoyed the fact that poison removal doesn't magically cure PTSD and the exploration of the fundamentally coercive nature of "nationbuilding".

But I swear to God if this is yet another season where Korra jumps around with handcuffs on getting her face ground into the dirt for 12 episodes then does some huge over the top spirit thing in the 13th episode and declares victory I will loving lose it. I literally can't listen to her whimper or wince or yell as she gets literally smashed into the ground any more.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Everyone here seems to agree that Kuvira and Korra's fight was really good, so was I the only one who apparently watched a bizarro-world of that fight where everything felt really sluggish and not very dynamic at all by this show's standards? I get the part where Korra's still not her best yet, but it seemed like they were skimping on the animation budget or something. Even most of the season 2 Studio Pierrot fights looked cleaner.

Just me?

I thought the levitating boulders during Korra's Avatar State looked really off. Other than that I didn't notice any issues, though admittedly it takes a lot to take me out of the action in this show. I particularly liked Korra's looks of growing shock, horror, and despair as she realized she was outmatched.

Other things I liked:

Junior's resigned, bitter look after he evacuated and was looking back at Varrick. Only time I laughed out loud, though I was grinning like a moron through most of Varrick's storyline. No idea why I found it so funny.

The muffled dubstep explosion.

Artist Brother (forget his name) being so intensely Angsty Anime three years later with the hair and the sideways pose during Kuvira's victory speech in Zaofu.

Bolin holding his hands behind his back as Varrick built the bomb.

Kuvira lying about Bolin to hurt Opal and Korra.

The Earth Empire soldiers cheering Kuvira on like the battle for the fate of the Earth Empire was a wrestling match.

No fartbending!

Life-changing field trip across the Earth Empire for Bolin and Varrick implied!

Really, this episode was full of fun little touches. Such high hopes for next week.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Kuvira's developing spirit nukes. Odds on that technology doing hideous poo poo to the spirit world are high, and since the portals are open, that hideous poo poo is likely to have a lot of bleedthrough. The Earth Empire doesn't even need to expand its borders any further to present a major threat to everybody else.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Bolin shall lead La Résistance. Whether there is any singing remains to be seen.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Felix_Cat posted:

That was probably the joke, yeah.

Also Kuvira was really gonna execute the avatar just like that? What a loving shithead lmao

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

Also Kuvira was really gonna execute the avatar just like that? What a loving shithead lmao

Yeah, though also smart, since it would remove the Avatar as a threat for well over a decade (even if they were a prodigy like Korra, you can't really expect a four-year-old or whatever to go up against Kung Fu Hitler).

She really picked a gory method of execution. Metal spikes to the head?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BrianWilly posted:

Just me?
I didn't like its pacing. Too much of the same type of whiffing, Korra moves were pretty vanilla and she didn't try metal bending

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 8, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It probably would have been better had they showed the fight all the way through instead of cutting to the Bolin and Varrik stuff. It kind of destroyed the tension and flow.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jackard posted:

I didn't like its pacing. Too much of the same type of whiffing, Korra moves were pretty vanilla and she didn't try metal bending

I didn't mind Korra's vanilla moves or lack of metalbending because it showed she was so clearly out of the bending groove. She seemed to be throwing whatever popped into her desperate mind in the hopes that something would hit. It contrasted beautifully with Kuvira's precise minimalism.

Jimbot posted:

It probably would have been better had they showed the fight all the way through instead of cutting to the Bolin and Varrik stuff. It kind of destroyed the tension and flow.

I liked how they cut to other storylines because it drew out the suspense of whether Korra would go into the Avatar State. Varrick's storyline worked better interspersed with other things as well.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Am I the only one that's starting to get bored whenever Korra is onscreen? It's beginning to feel like a broken record with the whole "she gets close to succeeding at her goal, but then she hallucinates at the last moment and can't finish the job" routine that they've pulled with pretty much all of her conflicts this season. I was hoping she had gotten over it when she bent the remaining metal out of her system, but I guess they want to drag it out to the finale.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Torquemadras posted:

Oh god. I knew it was coming, but that was still hard to watch. Please stop losing, Korra, I can't take this anymore :smith:

I think at this point it is safe to assume she will deliver the ultimate rear end kicking by the end of this season.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Varrick is Duke from The Critic; Inventing words after himself and all. If there can be a better call Saul spinoff, one can only hope that in some parallel universe there is a Varrick spinoff.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I kinda get the feeling the finale will have her NOT fighting. She'll be in a showdown with Kuvira, and Kuvira will throw everything she has at Korra, and Korra will be in the Avatar state, only to defend herself and the surrounding area. I would assume the showdown takes place somewhere it can be broadcast to every radio or something, because the message they're building up to seems to be that Kuvira isn't a problem that can be solved by just punching her a lot. The issues that created Kuvira and the Earth Empire would still remain, and putting Wu on the throne would only make the people angry. Kuvira's army protects Earth Kingdom citizens, and they're too beaten down to feel there's any other hope.

Kuvira and Korra fight, possibly in the middle of Republic City or something, and Kuvira's fighting to finalize her legitimacy to her rule. Korra's the only one left to really oppose her, and Kuvira is just one woman despite her skills. If she can take down Korra, she's shown she can best the Avatar, and there goes hope for a rebellion against her.

Korra, on the other hand, isn't fighting. She's stopping collateral damage, she's deflecting Kuvira's attacks, and she's basically driving Kuvira into a frenzy because nothing's working. As the fight goes on, and Korra keeps showing that Kuvira really is just a human, her army begins to question itself, the oppressed people begin to start cheering for the Avatar, and little rebellions spring up.

In the end, Kuvira finally exhausts herself, her power base has risen up against her, and the Earth Empire's people have decided they don't want to take it anymore. All without Korra having to throw a single punch. She wins without fighting.

Baatar Jr. then sets off the spirit nukes, ending by riding one down into Republic City while shouting "WHO'S JUNIOR NOW DAD?!"

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Bryan K. posted Ikki and Meelo's self-portraits on his tumblr. He made them with the show's prop designer Jojo Aguilar.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What's that thing in the background of Meelo's portrait? Some kind of crown?

I love how Meelo's becoming quite the little fascist himself. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
When will a fantasy work have a major battle that isn't "guys run forward shouting".

• Locked thread