Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

R. Mute posted:

but batman is also bad. they're all bad. all superheroes are code for facism or at "best" for randian objectivist masturbation (iron man)
Wouldn't Batman also be the latter? They're both just rich white dudes using their money to fight costumed bums. Batman just pretends to not have fun doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chantilly Say posted:

Are there Belgian superheroes? Does Tintin count?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Wouldn't Batman also be the latter? They're both just rich white dudes using their money to fight costumed bums. Batman just pretends to not have fun doing it.
they're essentially two sides of the same coin, but i think batman leans closer to facism with its heavy focus on justice whereas ironman is more of a randian superman

they're technically french, but admittedly part of the franco-belgian comic tradition

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Eu4 is the best civ game available.

Eu got me through undergrad. It was a drat good tool for teaching European history and why the French are such assholes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

It's odd- a econ-based redistribution system seems like an excellent way to erode the problems of segregation and resource mismanagement in school systems without tripping the real problems of a straight race program. How well does it work?

fairly well in wake county's case relative to everywhere else nearby, though there is a vocal minority who complain about long bus rides and school reassignments. in particular it's become a point of contention among transplants from the northeast who keep moving to the area, given that they're used to smaller, more segregated districts, which culminated in a republican takeover of the school board in 2009 on a platform of getting rid of the diversity program in favor of "neighborhood schools" (i.e. re-segregation), with every republican candidate hailing from new york or new jersey

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CoolCab posted:

he didn't invent capitalism. can we really blame the smartest man in the world for optimizing his performance in the system we created for him to play with? in fact, the only way he could correct this system is violent revolution, and when he tries that we throw his rear end in jail. loving people over via pharmaceuticals is perfectly legal; in fact, he's applauded for it. attempting to replace that system is super villainy.

and yet he somehow always chooses to stop the robot, that's funny huh? the only affiliation he has with america is some accident of interplanetary geography and yet he spends all his time making it even greater to be rich and white. boo hoo, the one guy on the planet who can shower without being watched is so oppressed. he's aware of trillions of other worlds, many of which he can go to. he chooses to live here with us mortals, he chooses to do what he does and as importantly, he chooses to not do what he doesn't. poor superman, suffering as he does under the kryptonian burden to bring peace and civilization to our backwards planet, enforcing his will and morality on us but hey, if we fail to suck up to him, he'll allow us all to be violently murdered. that's a healthy power structure, right? he's not threatening to kill us, he's just saying hey, behave in a way I like or you'll all happen to be killed.

we should all thank superman, and continue to jail and oppress the one guy who credibly could do everything superman does, could stop every asteroid and galactic rear end in a top hat who wants to hurt us, who strives to even the impossible gap between us and it with technology and intelligence and will. giving power to the powerless; can't have that! he's the villain. obviously.
Being a conscripted soldier doesn't excuse warcrimes and being born into a capitalist system doesn't excuse being the worst economic actor possible. :colbert: If you honestly think Lex Motherfucker Luthor has any interest in helping others, then you are literally one of those idiots who applaud the Kim dynasty at ever turn.

Wait I'm confused do you want Superman to burn down the whole immoral system or do you want Superman to stop interfering entirely and let us all burn? 'Cause those are some contradictory wants there. You're just mad that someone else has power and that you don't, and that they use that power almost completely selflessly just makes it burn even more, doesn't it? Man, and he's never even once mandated that anyone to do anything or he won't want to stop those asteroids or giant monsters or alien invasions, even though it'd be so loving easy. You are literally making up reasons to hate one of the most selfless beings the world has ever known that only exist in your own head.

You're just a bigot CoolCab.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I support the wealthy billionaire economic exploiter and arms dealer in his numerous assassination attempts on the selfless immigrant investigative journalist and emergency volunteer.

-CoolCab

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

comes along bort posted:

fairly well in wake county's case relative to everywhere else nearby, though there is a vocal minority who complain about long bus rides and school reassignments. in particular it's become a point of contention among transplants from the northeast who keep moving to the area, given that they're used to smaller, more segregated districts, which culminated in a republican takeover of the school board in 2009 on a platform of getting rid of the diversity program in favor of "neighborhood schools" (i.e. re-segregation), with every republican candidate hailing from new york or new jersey

ironically most of those people likely came from towns where increasingly the neighborhood schools are too "ethnic", hence why they moved

(also up in nj at least, neighborhood schools tend to vanish by 6th/7th grade for town or district wide middle and high schools, some "neighborhood" schools only do up to like 2nd or 3rd grade.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paragon1 posted:

Being a conscripted soldier doesn't excuse warcrimes and being born into a capitalist system doesn't excuse being the worst economic actor possible. :colbert: If you honestly think Lex Motherfucker Luthor has any interest in helping others, then you are literally one of those idiots who applaud the Kim dynasty at ever turn.

Wait I'm confused do you want Superman to burn down the whole immoral system or do you want Superman to stop interfering entirely and let us all burn? 'Cause those are some contradictory wants there. You're just mad that someone else has power and that you don't, and that they use that power almost completely selflessly just makes it burn even more, doesn't it? Man, and he's never even once mandated that anyone to do anything or he won't want to stop those asteroids or giant monsters or alien invasions, even though it'd be so loving easy. You are literally making up reasons to hate one of the most selfless beings the world has ever known that only exist in your own head.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
also here's a typical town where your nc republican transplants are from
http://articles.philly.com/2010-02-26/news/25219148_1_minorities-white-residents-white-families

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

is there like a rule that american hip hop artists have to do at least one song in a fake jamaican patois? it's weird.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

R. Mute posted:

is there like a rule that american hip hop artists have to do at least one song in a fake jamaican patois? it's weird.

snow is from canada

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paragon1 posted:

I support the wealthy billionaire economic exploiter and arms dealer in his numerous assassination attempts on the selfless immigrant investigative journalist and emergency volunteer.

-CoolCab

Hold on now, I think we need to examine the system through which numerous assassination attempts were made before we say blanket that CoolCab ain't a cool dude.

If 30 people signed off on it, thats enough data to determine that the signing off was not done out of random chance.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

R. Mute posted:

they're essentially two sides of the same coin, but i think batman leans closer to facism with its heavy focus on justice whereas ironman is more of a randian superman

they're technically french, but admittedly part of the franco-belgian comic tradition

what are the power rangers

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

snow is from canada
lol

Volkerball posted:

who the gently caress knows?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Aside from cis scum, :shrug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Robert Mugabe, Nicolas Maduro, and Ayatollah Khameni

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
the trade federation politics in the Star Wars prequels are why I went to law school.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Volkerball posted:

I lived up in the mountains during power rangers. They always came on when I bus riding on home.

Though I did get home in time for that hidden temple show.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Warszawa posted:

the trade federation politics in the Star Wars prequels are why I went to law school.

:frogon:

I don't think I've seen Phantom Menace

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Robert Mugabe, Nicolas Maduro, and Ayatollah Khameni

Vladimir Putitin, She Jizzping, Robert Muffgrabby, Nicolas Mandingo, and Ayatollah Cuminme

The Mighty Fornicatin' Power Rangers!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

paragon1 posted:

i think he's a sociopath who would do anything for power. i still vote, so i obviously think that kind of person can improve the world. i think he's demonstrably a genius who frequently works out impossible science magic that would easily transform the utopia; more importantly, i think he doesn't watch every child on the planet take a dump. he doesn't use his x-ray vision to peep on women, he doesn't wiretap every conversation ever held, he doesn't destabilize global politics choosing to flashily demonstrate american superiority. he's not the wet dream of a crypto-facist either; he's the opposite, he's what fascists write as being dangerous: he's smart, he demands equality at any cost, and he treats the world as it is, not how it Ought To Be if only we had big enough dicks I mean guns I mean superpowers. he teaches children that might makes right, but only if it's Our might, might applied Correctly, the good kind of violence, the kind oppression.

lex would rule the world for petty egotistical reasons, oh wow, can't imagine what that world would look like. he'd make it better because that's challenging, and at his core he is a character who cannot resist a challenge. he literally can't do this while superman exists for a bunch of both practical but also ideological reasons; superman's constant "oh well if you REALLY wanted to make the world better you would!!!" idiocy fails to address that the world can't get better while you're making it sick, there's no point. he'd just be making the temple of superman a little tidier. what's the point.

quote:

superman's incapable of burning down the system, he is the system. he's personally responsible for every lovely thing the american government has ever done, since he's aware of them and deliberately chooses to allow them to happen. he enforces the horrific status quo and violently quashes anyone who could reasonably challenge him if they don't submit to his authority. he's not selfless at all, he's perfectly capable of doing all the good he does without showing it but elects to go all Übermensch in the papers because it inflates his ego. he insultingly lies to the people he supposedly cares about to maintain his human minstrel show. contrast with lex, who is willing to put his name to his actions, stands up for what he believes in and never accepts something as being true simply because it was true yesterday, because it was moral yesterday.

he loving constantly fucks off to the arctic or space to mope and leaves us when we disappoint him (this was the plot of superman returns) or deliberately depowers himself when a human or the government or whoever pressures him to (in one of the donner films, loving constantly in a bunch of mediums). he doesn't have to say "do as I say or you'll get hit by an asteroid!" he's already demonstrated a bunch that if he doesn't like us, he'll take his ball and go home. what happens when the asteroid hits while he's off in a sulk? the world has to walk around him on eggshells for this reason and also because he constantly gets "mind controlled" or just pissed off at one of his gimp suit wearing pals and punches gigantic holes through office buildings. why would he have to mandate poo poo, his actions scream louder then words.

you don't get points for not killing us all. if you did, you'd see the hero lex is. it doesn't burn me that the world worships Fischer Price Fascist for his totally random freak powers and fails to see that his presence is a net harm, it scares the poo poo out of me that people think "letting us all die to asteroids" is described as "easy".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The woman who owns the house I'm renting is this super hippy Colorado type chick, and she had dudes come to install solar panels on the house this week. She was all excited it would be the first house in the area to have them, and thought it was really neat that it would save her 30 cents a month or w/e on energy with a simple thousand some dollar installation. I come home, and now evidently we have no power. :sigh: Hopefully when these assholes wake me up at 8 in the morning again bashing the loving roof to pieces, they'll fix it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:frogon:

I don't think I've seen Phantom Menace

do yourself a favor and don't try to figure out if you have or not, enjoy the ignorance

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I feel very frustrated on account of, if I can't trust rolling stone to hire a man who played pro "pro" ball for Mongolia to expose the 1%, what can I know? What can I know.

I feel myself occupying the form of a disenfranchised millenial. Oahahoooo, look at me receding from the propensity to vote. Fool I'm disillusioned.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CoolCab posted:

i think he's a sociopath who would do anything for power. i still vote, so i obviously think that kind of person can improve the world. i think he's demonstrably a genius who frequently works out impossible science magic that would easily transform the utopia; more importantly, i think he doesn't watch every child on the planet take a dump. he doesn't use his x-ray vision to peep on women, he doesn't wiretap every conversation ever held, he doesn't destabilize global politics choosing to flashily demonstrate american superiority. he's not the wet dream of a crypto-facist either; he's the opposite, he's what fascists write as being dangerous: he's smart, he demands equality at any cost, and he treats the world as it is, not how it Ought To Be if only we had big enough dicks I mean guns I mean superpowers. he teaches children that might makes right, but only if it's Our might, might applied Correctly, the good kind of violence, the kind oppression.

lex would rule the world for petty egotistical reasons, oh wow, can't imagine what that world would look like. he'd make it better because that's challenging, and at his core he is a character who cannot resist a challenge. he literally can't do this while superman exists for a bunch of both practical but also ideological reasons; superman's constant "oh well if you REALLY wanted to make the world better you would!!!" idiocy fails to address that the world can't get better while you're making it sick, there's no point. he'd just be making the temple of superman a little tidier. what's the point.

superman's incapable of burning down the system, he is the system. he's personally responsible for every lovely thing the american government has ever done, since he's aware of them and deliberately chooses to allow them to happen. he enforces the horrific status quo and violently quashes anyone who could reasonably challenge him if they don't submit to his authority. he's not selfless at all, he's perfectly capable of doing all the good he does without showing it but elects to go all Übermensch in the papers because it inflates his ego. he insultingly lies to the people he supposedly cares about to maintain his human minstrel show. contrast with lex, who is willing to put his name to his actions, stands up for what he believes in and never accepts something as being true simply because it was true yesterday, because it was moral yesterday.

he loving constantly fucks off to the arctic or space to mope and leaves us when we disappoint him (this was the plot of superman returns) or deliberately depowers himself when a human or the government or whoever pressures him to (in one of the donner films, loving constantly in a bunch of mediums). he doesn't have to say "do as I say or you'll get hit by an asteroid!" he's already demonstrated a bunch that if he doesn't like us, he'll take his ball and go home. what happens when the asteroid hits while he's off in a sulk? the world has to walk around him on eggshells for this reason and also because he constantly gets "mind controlled" or just pissed off at one of his gimp suit wearing pals and punches gigantic holes through office buildings. why would he have to mandate poo poo, his actions scream louder then words.

you don't get points for not killing us all. if you did, you'd see the hero lex is. it doesn't burn me that the world worships Fischer Price Fascist for his totally random freak powers and fails to see that his presence is a net harm, it scares the poo poo out of me that people think "letting us all die to asteroids" is described as "easy".

Why do you hate someone that unconditionally loves you CoolCab?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Warszawa posted:

Should we be expecting you to unleash an army of droids and or Jedi anytime soon?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How did they pay for the clones anyway?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

paragon1 posted:

Why do you hate someone that unconditionally loves you CoolCab?

if you love something, set it free. if it comes back, it's yours. if it builds a robot powered by a lethal chunk of your exploded planet, it never was

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also did the clones qualify as property? Is the Republic guilty of using a slave army?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Discuss the Galactic Republic's warcrimes itt.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ferguson thread has started to become an interesting luch thread to follow again.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Randler posted:

Ferguson thread has started to become an interesting luch thread to follow again.

how come?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CoolCab posted:

In short:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

paragon1 posted:

How did they pay for the clones anyway?

pretty sure it was embezzlement?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paragon1 posted:

Discuss the Galactic Republic's warcrimes itt.

tbqh their system of tax farming was a bit of a mafia-esque move. I dont believe for a second the Republic faught againat the trade federation without new plunder in mind

Darth Vader is the good guy

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Movie idea: Murderous psychopaths invade a sorority party only to be hunted for sport by the sorority.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i'm pretty sure embezzlement was implied by the cutscenes in angry birds star wars ii anyway, which is the last prequel related thing i witnessed

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

i'm pretty sure embezzlement was implied by the cutscenes in angry birds star wars ii anyway, which is the last prequel related thing i witnessed

Don't tell me that's canon now!:wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't tell me that's canon now!:wotwot:

idk it seemed pretty much like the movies i watched last like 10 years ago, with bird and pig for character

• Locked thread