Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I just watched Snowpiercer and I highly recommend it, unless you're one of those weird autists who care more about tactical realism than trains.

And everyone should watch Filth too.

Snowpiercer is okay but not so good that I would give it a blanket recommendation. Filth is great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ yeah there was really just like one dude arguing against Snowpiercer for realism or whatever, I just didn't think it was a great script. Had its moments, just not enough of them. I'm amazed it has such an insane Tomatometer score (95% or whatever)

Jack Gladney posted:

Bates Motel is amazing--everyone was right. The scene where Norma spies on that girl through the yoga studio window steaming up the glass with her breath while imagining Norman loving is some of the best physical comedy I've seen in a while. This show could be straight up horror, but they know just when to inch it into farce.

I hope they put season 2 up soon, the first episode of that should significantly impress you in that regard.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Some movies/TV shows defy the era they were created in and remain as timeless now as when they were created. Miami Vice is not one of those shows. No, this show is perhaps more 80s than the 80s were; a condensed and crystallized gem showcasing every vice we associate with the raddest decade. And it's glorious. The fictitious Miami of the show is a place of perpetually blinding azure days and nighttime streets soaked in neon reflections, a place where just as much danger lurks in every abandoned waterfront hovel or dilapidated hotel as in the glittering downtown skyscrapers and countless palatial mansions. The 80s music I fully expected going in to it, the clothes also didn't cause me raise an eyebrow most of the time, but nothing, nothing prepared me for the interior decoration. Some scenes I couldn't hear the actors over the deafening roar of the neon purple & blue tiger-striped wallpaper (I now know where the designs for 90s Trapper-Keeper covers came from). And the bad guys! Where else will you find a never-ending string of drug kingpins, gunrunners, loan sharks, and hustlers played by the likes of Bruce Willis, Phil Collins, Ted Nugent, Michael Richards (Kramer!), Frank Zappa, John Leguizamo... If you're a fan at all of Michael Mann, especially his 80s movies like Thief and Manhunter, you need to check out this show. It doesn't hit its stride until a few episodes in when Edward James Olmos shows up as the police chief (I swear his look could shatter granite in this show) but after that the first season is nearly solid gold. The second season is still good albeit with a higher percentage of clunkers and some more outlandish plots on average. Unfortunately I've heard it goes downhill dramatically from there. I might try to pick out some of the strongest episodes from season 3 (it would be a shame not to see the iconic white Testarossa), but the fourth season reportedly features a war between televangelists (with divine intervention) and UFOs with aliens played by James Brown. Although that might be entertaining in its own way, I don't think I want to sully my memory of the early episodes. Apparently the fifth season is nearly a total disaster with everyone half-heartedly showing up for a paycheck, going out hand-in-hand with the decade it's intrinsically tied to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Miami Vice is on Netflix? :stare:

Holy poo poo. That's awesome.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

precision posted:

Miami Vice is on Netflix? :stare:

I'm going to watch the gently caress out of this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Miami Vice is the reason the 80s were the 80s. Everyone was wearing pastels and penny loafers with no socks and boat shoes and t-shirts with heavily shoulder padded suit jackets because of that show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I unironically love Miami Vice. Unfortunately Netflix is missing a few episodes from seasons 1 and 4. It's such a great show. You'd never guess it but it's a fairly dark show too.

You should at least watch the pilot for this great scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9DecojiBE

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

red19fire posted:

The Assets is really good, too.

For me, The Assets is similar to Tyrant, Low Winter Sun, and, to a lesser extent, Halt and Catch Fire in that they all seem to have cribbed from the same "How to make prestige television" checklist.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Dumd and Dumber and Kingpin are apparently on netflix

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Sounds like bullshit, but it sounds like interesting bullshit.

I don't have any strong opinion on it but it's worth noting he only argues the agent fired the third shot that blew his head off, and that Oswald did fire twice trying to kill JFK and hit him, potentially fatally, in the neck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix showing signs of competency? There's now a "continue watching" category that has movies or shows you've started watching but didn't finish. Pretty useful!

Also, the excellent Mr. Jones was added. It's a... oh just watch it. OK fine, it's like... a combination of Blair Witch, Resolution, and Exit Through the Gift Shop.

precision fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 8, 2014

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would invent a time machine solely to go back to the eighties and witness that rear end in person.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

radthibodaux posted:

I would invent a time machine solely to go back to the eighties and witness that rear end in person.

This but with Salma Hayak in From Dusk Till Dawn.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hasn't Miami Vice been up on Netflix for a long, long time or did it get taken off for a while? I remember watching at least three seasons streaming.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I unironically love Miami Vice. Unfortunately Netflix is missing a few episodes from seasons 1 and 4. It's such a great show. You'd never guess it but it's a fairly dark show too.

Yeah, the introduction for Tubbs is hilarious. He couldn't possibly be any less interested in women.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seriously, Mr. Jones is the best/scariest "found footage" (though it isn't exactly that) movie I've seen since Blair Witch. Holy Moses.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

Netflix showing signs of competency? There's now a "continue watching" category that has movies or shows you've started watching but didn't finish. Pretty useful!

It mostly just picks the dirtiest thing you were watching and gets stuck on that

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I watched Bronson last night and was impressed. I really like Hardys performance. He radiates insanity, which is fitting for the character.

Magnus Gallant fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 8, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bronson is Refn's best film to date, I think. I've watched it at least 7 or 8 times and it never gets old.

"BUTTER MY ARSE!"

e: also, check out the real life story (still ongoing) of the titular character. It's even more strange and sad than the film gets around to. His poetry and art are really very good. He's also still in prison.

quote:

In August 2014, Bronson announced that he was changing his name via deed poll to Charles Salvador, in tribute to the late Salvador Dali.[125] In a hand-written statement on his website, Salvador stated that "The old me dried up...Bronson came alive in 1987. He died in 2014." He also announced that he was renouncing violence and wished to distance himself from those who sought to associate themselves with him due to his past reputation, commenting that "It’s non-violent all the way. It’s a peaceful journey from here on...Coz my heart is at peace and my mind is set on art."[

precision fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 8, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Bronson is great and if you enjoyed that you should probably watch Drive for Refn's more accessible work or Valhalla Rising if you want an even more difficult piece than Bronson. Both films should be on Netflix now.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Chichevache posted:

Valhalla Rising

This is probably my favorite movie ever made

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

Bronson is great and if you enjoyed that you should probably watch Drive for Refn's more accessible work or Valhalla Rising if you want an even more difficult piece than Bronson. Both films should be on Netflix now.

Drive was on Netflix but it's been gone for quite a while.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Drive was on Netflix but it's been gone for quite a while.

Really? It was on for nearly 2 straight years. Well, it will probably be back soon, and if it isn't it is worth buying/renting.

-S- posted:

This is probably my favorite movie ever made

If you haven't seen it yet Only God Forgives, another Refn film, is also in the same vein. I absolutely loved it, more than VR; you should enjoy it too.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Chichevache posted:

When Someone is looking to get acquainted with Refn, I would always suggest Bronson first since it fits his style of ultraviolent male loner biography while being a fascinating movie in its own right. I look at Drive as a bit of an accidental masterpiece, since it works so well due to a lot of the elements that are in it that are missing from his other films, like Valhalla Rising. Then you see how big of a lynch fan they are before you suggest only god forgives.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
OGF is not really like anything Lynch has ever made.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
After watching Only God Forgives I was really surprised by some of the negative reaction it got. It's a beautiful movie.

I did a double feature with that and Beyond the Black Rainbow. I was drained for the rest of the night and next day.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I enjoyed OGF but it's really not hard to understand why some people hate it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Definitely. But I do think some people were just expecting another Drive instead of another Refn movie.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

OGF is not really like anything Lynch has ever made.

It's like Dune, in that it was a huge failure.

In all seriousness, despite just your statement just being thrown out there, it is less that they are stylistically identical, and more that in my experience people who enjoy Lynch's work as a whole tend to be fans of OGF.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Chichevache posted:

Really? It was on for nearly 2 straight years. Well, it will probably be back soon, and if it isn't it is worth buying/renting.

If you haven't seen it yet Only God Forgives, another Refn film, is also in the same vein. I absolutely loved it, more than VR; you should enjoy it too.

Yeah OGF is great. Among VR, Drive, and OGF I like whichever one I've seen latest the best, really, but VR is the one that has stuck with me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Less stylistically identical, I find. Nobody makes films like David Lynch, but that's good. Refn's motifs are his own, Lynch's are his own.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I also prefer OGF to Valhalla Rising. Both are great though.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Obviously they're very different but I still get some strong black lodge vibes from several of the sequences in OGF. Like there's no question watching them both that they're separated by 20 years but the likeness is there.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Drive is my favorite Refn movie, but OGF, Bronson and Valhalla Rising aren't far behind it. Still haven't gotten around to the Pusher trilogy.

Actually, Drive is probably my favorite movie, period. That movie really stuck with me in a way not many others have, for some reason.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I caught the last 30 minutes or so of Pusher 3 when it showed up late one night on HBO and tuned in just in time to see two guys systematically break down and dispose of an entire corpse. I didn't know who Refn was at the time, but that scene really stuck with me and in retrospect it's a great microcosm of his style. Unflinchingly violent, patient, and exquisitely shot.

I think Refn is one of the best new directors to come along in a long time, and I hope he continues to get even weirder than Only God Forgives.

Speaking of Pusher, has anyone watched the English language remake that's currently on Netflix? Just curious if my suspicion that it's awful garbage is accurate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fishtobaskets posted:

Speaking of Pusher, has anyone watched the English language remake that's currently on Netflix? Just curious if my suspicion that it's awful garbage is accurate.

It's actually pretty decent, though remarkably unnecessary. Way better than the Oldboy remake, for reference.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

precision posted:

Seriously, Mr. Jones is the best/scariest "found footage" (though it isn't exactly that) movie I've seen since Blair Witch. Holy Moses.

Good lord, no. No, no, no, no, no.

It's borderline enjoyable until the final sequence, which renders the film incomprehensible and weak. I thought the characters worked well and I enjoyed their rapport for the most part but the final sequence throws out almost all of the characterization in favor of "evil mind stuff".

I can't make this up. The villain is, without any exaggeration, "spooky wilderness mind stuff". We must keep it at bay! Protect everyone from this madness! Protagonists simply stumbling upon latent evil is one of the laziest plot devices that a horror movie can use - where's the motivation? Why would the protagonists feel obligated to do anything about it? Because it starts loving with them, so they must gently caress with it back?

It's the the kind of movie that is watchable for a while until it starts dropping little hints of where it's going and you just have to watch in anti-horror (because it isn't scary) as it becomes an awful, lovely mess of a film before your eyes.

Do not watch Mr. Jones. It is a waste of time and will likely only make you angry. If you want great found footage, watch Grave Encounters and its sequel.

The Clap fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 8, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Clap posted:

Good lord, no. No, no, no, no, no.

It's borderline enjoyable until the final sequence, which renders the film incomprehensible and weak. I thought the characters worked well and I enjoyed their rapport for the most part but the final sequence throws out almost all of the characterization in favor of "evil mind stuff".

I can't make this up. The villain is, without any exaggeration, "spooky wilderness mind stuff". We must keep it at bay! Protect everyone from this madness! Protagonists simply stumbling upon latent evil is one of the laziest plot devices that a horror movie can use - where's the motivation? Why would the protagonists feel obligated to do anything about it? Because it starts loving with them, so they must gently caress with it back?

It's the the kind of movie that is watchable for a while until it starts dropping little hints of where it's going and you just have to watch in anti-horror (because it isn't scary) as it becomes an awful, lovely mess of a film before your eyes.

Do not watch Mr. Jones. It is a waste of time and will likely only make you angry. If you want great found footage, watch Grave Encounters and its sequel.

Well without going too much into it I think you completely missed the entire point of the film and what the "spooky wilderness stuff" actually even was.

It was explicitly the world where nightmares take place, and almost all of the last sequence is literally a dream. It's one of the most effective portrayals of how disorienting and odd dreams are that I've seen. The main character was drawn to the location because he had to become the next "Mr. Jones". The people that Mr. Jones sends his totems to are people at risk of breaking down the barrier between dreams and reality. The one guy who destroyed his totem is literally living in a constant nightmare. Scott and Penny's sex scene is an implication that Scott had to pass down whatever makes him crazy/special (the reason he was on medication).

I mean if you didn't like it that's fine but you definitely misunderstood what happened apparently.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I will watch Mr. Jones tonight and settle this once and for all.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Actually, Drive is probably my favorite movie, period. That movie really stuck with me in a way not many others have, for some reason.

That's easy to explain: Drive is one of the best movies of all time, maybe the best. It is certainly my all-time favorite as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

That's easy to explain: Drive is one of the best movies of all time, maybe the best. It is certainly my all-time favorite as well.

Drive does rule. I went with a friend on my second viewing and he was bored and actually picked up his phone and talked on it in the theater for the last five minutes of the movie.

Never saw a movie with that ignoramus again.

• Locked thread