Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

The tone is perfectly understandable...Ed/Nicalis sold a half-baked, buggy, untested game, and did so with promises that are turning out to be inaccurate.

The game is not "half-baked" or untested and every piece of software in the world has bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Someone forgot that Intel Graphics still didn't support years old standards in the year of our lord two thousand ten. Probably forgot that Intel even does graphics because their first decent offering is barely 2 years old. Good luck getting someone to rewrite their graphics engine to accommodate one manufacturer's 4+ year old hardware in less than a week.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 8, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Read posted:

The game is not "half-baked" or untested and every piece of software in the world has bugs.

don't even bother engaging with jivjov, this is roughly the average quality of their posting

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
anyways I think that Proptosis+mom's knife may be even more powerful than polyphemus/mom's knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MukbxFaPfiE

I'd love to get all three at once sometime.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tollymain posted:

don't even bother engaging with jivjov, this is roughly the average quality of their posting

What, am I not entitled to being a bit upset when something I've paid money for straight up doesn't function, and even when it does, causes faults with other computer hardware?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The more I play Eve the more I like her. Sell all your hearts to the Devil -> Become Danger Mario -> Destroy everything.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

IronicDongz posted:

That's probably because they might genuinely not be able to fix it.

And let's face it , overshooting the system requirements on obsolete hardware is pretty low on the Reynaud scale

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Zeron posted:

Honestly I think that as "reward" characters go, Eden is kind of lovely. You only get to play once every mom's heart kill, and while I'm sure you can get completely OP starting builds all I've gotten is complete poo poo so far. Like I'm sure that his stats can go above 1, but that's not something I've ever seen. I've felt obligated to play him every time I get a token but so far I'd rather have been playing anyone else.

From what I remember of Ed's posts before-release, the token system is more to prevent scumming for OP starts than it is to act as a reward. I kind of agree though, I don't feel much impetus to play Eden other than to get unlocks.

Rocketlex posted:

The more I play Eve the more I like her. Sell all your hearts to the Devil -> Become Danger Mario -> Destroy everything.

Yeah, Eve gets really good later... it's just that I loathe playing potentially multiple floors with 1 damage stat :(

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

jivjov posted:

What, am I not entitled to being a bit upset when something I've paid money for straight up doesn't function, and even when it does, causes faults with other computer hardware?

Being this angry when it hasn't even been a week and the devs are quickly and actively hunting down those problems does make you sound entitled and oversensitive yes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can be annoyed, obviously, but acting as if the game was just shat out in an awful state is just not true. Basically just-

dis astranagant posted:

Someone forgot that Intel Graphics still didn't support years old standards in the year of our lord two thousand ten. Probably forgot that Intel even does graphics because their first decent offering is barely 2 years old. Good luck getting someone to rewrite their graphics engine to accommodate one manufacturer's 4+ year old hardware in less than a week.
-and avoiding at least some weird problems like that when making a game is more or less impossible. At some point, lovely old hardware is gonna get left behind and it's just not worth it to try and make a game work on literally every system, it simply is not going to happen.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rocketlex posted:

she really does reward playing well, because if you're able to dodge fairly well you can safely sell every bit of yourself for cool demonic poo poo and also turn into a badass demon on top of that which lets you poo poo out damage

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Read posted:

From what I remember of Ed's posts before-release, the token system is more to prevent scumming for OP starts than it is to act as a reward. I kind of agree though, I don't feel much impetus to play Eden other than to get unlocks.

Other ways to get Tokens would be nice. I'd pay 15 cents for one at a shop. Hell, I'd love to pay a heart to the Devil for one if I was playing as Eve.

EDIT: Actually, what'd be rad is if you got an Eden Token for every...say...30 coins you put in a Donation box. That way you'd also have a more steady reward system for the box.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

That's probably because they might genuinely not be able to fix it.

Exactly. They knew they were working with OpenGL 3, so they should've been able to guess that there might be troubles with older systems not supporting that. If they had simply put that in the system requirements and not make the promise that this game'd run on any system that could run the original, I wouldn't have had a reason to be angry.

I'm very happy the devs are still working on it, but Tyrone is already coming back on their promises, and that is where the problem lies.

The fact that you folks are going "haha I can play it, you're hosed, should've known to have a better system" isn't helping either. I understand that's easy to say for you. But first of all, lots of people are suffering from this issue, it isn't just me. And secondly, I'm not a game developer. If anything, they (i.e. Nicalis) should've known and warned us in advance, so I hadn't spent money on pre-release. Them not doing that, is where the main problem lies.

By the way, some good news: a few people with OpenGL 3 are reporting the same white-out problem. This suggests that it's at least partially a programming problem, which can be solved more easily.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 8, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Exactly. They knew they were working with OpenGL 3, so they should've been able to guess that there might be troubles with older systems not supporting that. If they had simply put that in the system requirements and not make the promise that this game'd run on any system that could run the original, I wouldn't have had a reason to be angry.

I'm very happy the devs are still working on it, but Tyrone is already coming back on their promises, and that is where the problem lies.

The fact that you folks are going "haha I can play it, you're hosed, should've known to have a better system" isn't helping either. I understand that's easy to say for you. But first of all, lots of people are suffering from this issue, it isn't just me. And secondly, I'm not a game developer. If anything, they should've known and warned us in advance, so I hadn't spent money on pre-release. Them not doing that, is where the main problem lies.

They thought the cutoff for hardware was going to be around 6 years, which is really going out of their way. They didn't account for one company's barely office grade offering pushing that forward a couple years in rare cases, or for people to still be trying to game with that piece of poo poo.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Why won't this game run on Windows 95? :argh:

The minimum requirements state 'Discreet Graphics Card.' You're complaining that the developers didn't catch the fact this game cannot run on certain configurations of literally ancient hardware and software interface standards. PC gaming has always been a bit 'buyer beware' because the possible hardware combinations are astronomical, and it's on the end-user to determine if they meet the specs. Like back in the day EB Games wouldn't even entertain a return request if your reasoning was 'Oh yeah my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements'.

I get that you're upset, Carbon Dioxide. I know you wanted to play and enjoy the game and were possibly waiting forever for it. I'd be upset too. But stop acting like you were egregiously wronged or this was some conspiracy to gently caress the end-user, or that they deliberately released a buggy product. Try to get your refund. It sucks but there very well be nothing they can do to support an API standard from 2004-2006 that was completely superseded by 2008.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 8, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Not to wade into drama or anything but I just got Lil Haunt and it is the most amazing upgrade ever. Hunting, damage AND fear!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Note that also the game has had as much as 65k concurrent players so what you might be seeing as "lots of people having these issues" is more likely just "a handful of really vocal people having the issue."

e: oh, does it even list a dedicated graphics card as a minimum requirement? well, there goes your argument for "I wasn't warned before release!!"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair, I won't actually get a refund.

Technical issues aside, I bought this game because, well, I really like it.

I'm still hoping for a fix. If that doesn't happen, I'm hoping I can afford to buy a new system some point next year. I've got some other games sitting in my library that won't run on this thing, anyway.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

500 million dollar AAA titles have had way worse release bugs than this has. I still can't open Call of Duty: Ghosts I bought a year ago.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

I'm on Steam and I just got a 2MB patch. Apparently a bunch of bugfixes: http://steamcommunity.com/app/250900/discussions/0/613941122666978458/

I didn't even know about the save game bug, that would be awful.

edit: Oh this is 7 hours old?

super-edit: The 1.01 patch actually caused my game to sit there and hang in the Steam launcher and never open, so if anyone reads this and has the same issue try restarting your computer because for some reason that worked for me!

skull wall fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 8, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

THERE IS A FIX.

I'm going to update my larger post soon, but let me first post it here.

This fix solves the 'white textures' problem for now.

There is a working beta available, and I'll tell you here how to unlock it. As it is a beta, it's possible that the next full update will delete your save file, use at own risk!

In Steam, right click on the game, and choose properties. Go to the 'betas' tab and enter the access code "whitetextures" (without the quote marks). It'll unlock the beta. Enable it in the same screen, close that screen, and wait a minute while the game gets updated.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 8, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Read posted:

Yeah, Eve gets really good later... it's just that I loathe playing potentially multiple floors with 1 damage stat :(

Slam your face into the first enemy you see. Twice.

Now you're all set for a proper Eve run.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Carbon dioxide posted:

THERE IS A FIX.

I'm going to update my larger post soon, but let me first post it here.

This fix solves the 'white textures' problem for now.

There is a working beta available, and I'll tell you here how to unlock it. As it is a beta, it's possible that the next full update will delete your save file, use at own risk!

In Steam, right click on the game, and choose properties. Go to the 'betas' tab and enter the access code "whitetextures" (without the quote marks). It'll unlock the beta. Enable it in the same screen, close that screen, and wait a minute while the game gets updated.

Though SOME of the flack you're getting is somewhat deserved everybody should appreciate your effort in finding every scrap of info out there.

Also: downplaying the ability of repairing something is vital in maintenance duty. You always must present the client with the most doomsday scenario possible so in the end they'll be somewhat better disposed. I usually enjoy saying someone they might have to change some 1000€ piece of equipment, changing a blown fuse and getting treated like a wizard

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 8, 2014

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

If anyone wants to try a run where you get epic fetus early, 9RE3 BY6R has it on the second floor treasure room which is one square to the right. Unlike the normal fetus, air strikes are seemingly stronger than before.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Goddamnit Super Greed. When I'm maxed out on cash because I got a dollar bill is exactly when I DON'T want to see you in a shop.

Edit: I just got explosive thoughts in two rooms in a row. :psyduck:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 8, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Anybody ever gotten the Black Candle with Cursed Eye? The text on Black Candle makes me think it might make the eye kinda cool... I really do like the burst fire of it.

I just got black candle too.. what in the world does it do? "Curse immunity + evil". Not many 'curses' I can think of, and if it really does just make the extremely small number items with 'cursed' in the name or description work better that'd be pretty awful.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
^^^^
Black candle makes you immune to 'Curse of the Blind, Curse of Darkness, Curse of the Labyrinth, etc' and increases your chance of devil deals. I think.

Necropolis has some seriously assholish floors when you can't fly. The room with the 1-tile wide bridge that requires you to stop on a single tile between timed spikes can go gently caress itself.

I bought the BFF item that makes larger (better?) familiars because I had a train of 6 followers. I don't know if the item helped in terms of damage, but the large followers all over the screen made it impossible to see and nearly lost me the run because of all the damage I'd take. The visual clutter is a massive detriment.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sanctum posted:

^^^^
Black candle makes you immune to 'Curse of the Blind, Curse of Darkness, Curse of the Labyrinth, etc' and increases your chance of devil deals. I think.

It also gives you a single sin-heart so if you've got the money and aren't trying to avoid sin, go ahead and grab it for the health.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So I got up to Isaac (barely beat him) thanks to the I AM ERROR room. Thing is, I haven't even unlocked It Lives yet so that shouldn't be possible.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Testekill posted:

So I got up to Isaac (barely beat him) thanks to the I AM ERROR room. Thing is, I haven't even unlocked It Lives yet so that shouldn't be possible.

i killed isaac a couple of times before i even got It Lives

it happens and is an accepted thing due to how the portals after beating the heart work

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i killed isaac a couple of times before i even got It Lives

it happens and is an accepted thing due to how the portals after beating the heart work

Really? You can go to the Cathedral before unlocking It Lives? I've only ever had a trapdoor to Sheol appear.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I found a crazy new room going down through one of those Zelda sidescrolling bits:

Is this the new I AM ERROR, or something else?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

wyoming posted:

So I found a crazy new room going down through one of those Zelda sidescrolling bits:

I just found that room too. It was in a ladder down, only the secret room lead to a second secret room. Giant pile of items being sold for a single heart with key and devil beggers in the corner.

And no, I AM ERROR is still in, I got it earlier today.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

wyoming posted:

Just a fun new thing that shows up.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Ok I unlocked Azazel... and proceeded to use the Bible and an army of spiders to get all the way to the end of Mom's Heart with barely a flinch. I love Azazel!

There's no way to make his breath range increase, is there?

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 8, 2014

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Careless play lead to having to fight ??? with Ipecac, Chocolate Milk and only one red heart and nothing else helpful. That was scary but taking my time and focusing on dodging and distance worked well. If you get that combo, don't be stupid like me and just indiscriminately shoot explosive tears everywhere at a high rate.

Public Reprimand
Mar 26, 2007
Whitewashed for the masses

jivjov posted:

Well, I can actually run the game now...but I'm now getting the delightful "keyboard gets stuck on a single input forever" bug that persists even after the game is closed.

Moral of the story here is never buy anything from Nicalis ever again. Too bad I'm well past the window to just chargeback the preorder on my card.

I had this bug, apparently because my Logitech G110 keyboard didn't play nice with one of the settings.

If you check the options config file in the binding of isaac folder (in My Documents\My Games\) Change ControllerHotplug=1 to =0 and you'll be fine. I'm not 100% sure if that's the exact name as I'm not at my PC to check but it's something like that.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
After a 10+ losing streak on the blue baby I took a look at the main menu. What's this? I'm on hard mode? 2 runs later on normal mode I finally get the D6.

Moral of the story, make sure you're on normal mode if you're getting stomped. I don't know what all hard mode does, but it certainly felt as though once I switched over to normal mode I was melting things in comparison. I definitely saw a huge difference in item drops too.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

strangemusic posted:

Ok I unlocked Azazel... and proceeded to use the Bible and an army of spiders to get all the way to the end of Mom's Heart with barely a flinch. I love Azazel!

I found out that getting the actual brimstone makes his breath normal but other than that I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

strangemusic posted:

Get the normal Brimstone.

Also, be glad you waited until now to play as him. Before the Brimstone noise was 10x as loud.