Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muddream
Oct 13, 2014

zanzibar :(

hope that's a patchable bug, blood gulch should be more of a performance hog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Their conclusion

quote:

Halo 2 Anniversary: the Digital Foundry verdict

As the crown jewel in The Master Chief Collection, Halo 2 Anniversary delivers an expertly remastered experience for the new generation. The updated campaign is beautifully realised and feels closer to the source material than Saber's original attempt at remastering Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2011. The inclusion of the original classic mode remains an interesting treat for those interested in seeing the original visuals again, but we can't help but wonder if the image quality for the remastered campaign hasn't suffered a bit as a result of its inclusion. The new CG sequences are also a treat for fans of the game and demonstrate just how much further the Halo aesthetic could be pushed in the future.

The updated multiplayer maps are also exciting and rekindled a lot of nostalgia while playing through them. The visual overhaul is impressive and interesting though it does make it difficult to return to some of the classic Halo 2 maps after experiencing the new visuals. Despite the variation in assets between the campaign and multiplayer, the game still feels very much like Halo 2, which is ultimately what's most important here: this is the Bungie classic updated for a new generation - and it works brilliantly.

Sounds terrible.

If there's issues that annoy me in the remastered h2a I'll just play the classic h2. Luckily they included that too :shrug:

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
how did they only remake some of the halo 2 maps? so loving lazy

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crafty posted:

If there's issues that annoy me in the remastered h2a I'll just play the classic h2. Luckily they included that too :shrug:

Which they have stated also suffers from slowdown and loading screens.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Bobtista posted:

Which they have stated also suffers from slowdown and loading screens.

I haven't read about the vanilla H2 performance yet, can you link me to it please? I believe it's an entirely separate game from the h2a mode.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hanyolo posted:

I never said anything about PSN? The dev's went to host their own multiplayer instead of using a cloud service and now due to their lovely coding, lack of bandwidth cpu/memory bottleneck or whatever they hosed up they can't get people onto their game. With the :yaycloud: you could have just scaled up as many servers as needed depending on the load, no matter how poo poo your code is.

Probably, depends on the region and how much you spend on your Internet bill. I get 1TB for $80 a month and my ISP is nice enough to not count iTunes/Xbox/Steam content in my cap, Since they host their CDNs in their datacentre. If you're with some backyard ISP you probably won't get this privilege.

Also if you're on DSL and miles away from your exchange, you'll be syncing at 8Mbits or below, which will mean a 20Gb patch takes 7 hours to download presuming you're getting full utilisation.

They have plenty of server capacity, the issue is with the actual code and would exist whether it was on the cloud or any other hosting service.

Crafty posted:

I haven't read about the vanilla H2 performance yet, can you link me to it please? I believe it's an entirely separate game from the h2a mode.

They run at the same time so you can switch between them. It was mentioned in DDSs quote.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

HyperPuma posted:

how did they only remake some of the halo 2 maps? so loving lazy

You're a glass half empty kind of guy aren't you? Never mind that they included a free version of halo 1, 3 and 4 in their halo 2 anniversary launch, with all multiplayer maps for all four games - plus never before on console, pc maps - plus the most powerful forge ever. Upgraded them all to higher resolution and frame rates and added in some lighting effects. All for 60 dollars.

I WANTED ALL THE MAPS!!!

You can make them yourself anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J44c4eYySds

Forge is awesome now.

Considering naughty dog just released a remaster of a year old game with a couple of improved textures and a wobbly higher frame rate, and still charged microtransactions for guns in multiplayer, I don't think the mcc deal is too bad. :shrug:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Crafty posted:

You're a glass half empty kind of guy aren't you? Never mind that they included a free version of halo 1, 3 and 4 in their halo 2 anniversary launch, with all multiplayer maps for all four games - plus never before on console, pc maps - plus the most powerful forge ever. Upgraded them all to higher resolution and frame rates and added in some lighting effects. All for 60 dollars.

I WANTED ALL THE MAPS!!!

Forge is awesome now.

Considering naughty dog just released a remaster of a year old game with a couple of improved textures and a wobbly higher frame rate, and still charged microtransactions for guns in multiplayer, I don't think the mcc deal is too bad. :shrug:

Do you have an opinion on the re-releases of Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crafty posted:

They run simultaneously so you can get bored of the novelty of switching back and forth from new to old. So it's always running the new engine alongside it and has the same limitations.

There's no separate h2 a dedicated boner like you really ought to know this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

I WANTED ALL THE MAPS!!!

Forge is awesome now.

lmao they didn't include a free version of anything, you're paying for a collection yo.

TLOU was released for the 360 owners switching to ps4 (of which there are a lot) which hadn't played it, as it was a recent game. also the big difference here is that if you own the PS3 version it's still playable, whereas part of the draw of the MCC is being to play games you already owned but have since been shut down. woo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

And I cant leave out the chill I got when I came face to face with mine own inverse-doppleganger.

He even helps MS write PR copy!

xbone point five doesn't have the same ring to it

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

lmao they didn't include a free version of anything, you're paying for a collection yo.

TLOU was released for the 360 owners switching to ps4 (of which there are a lot) which hadn't played it, as it was a recent game. also the big difference here is that if you own the PS3 version it's still playable, whereas part of the draw of the MCC is being to play games you already owned but have since been shut down. woo.

People would have paid 60 for a straight halo 2 anniversary, the rest is a nice bonus. People are free to play the old games campaigns, servers were 'shut down' because some of those games are older than you.

Interesting about tlou, still doesn't explain why you need to buy arrows for your bow through microtransactions though. Guess Sony need that dolla.

I thought there was a separate H2 mode that was vanilla and ran at full 1080p? I definitely read that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Crafty posted:

People would have paid 60 for a straight halo 2 anniversary

*citation needed

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crafty posted:

I thought there was a separate H2 mode that was vanilla and ran at full 1080p? I definitely read that.

No, it's halo 2 anniversary edition which has the magic feature of changing between old and remaster on the fly. Neither of which are in full 1080peas.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

*citation needed

The fact that people paid for a full price remake of tomb raider, and a microtransaction riddled tlou rehash is evidence enough. People also bought the halo:ce anniversary last gen.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Crafty posted:

I WANTED ALL THE MAPS!!!

Forge is awesome now.

i thought this was the definitive master chief collection

when it was first announced, the impression being given was that all of h2 would be remastered, not just the terrible campaign and a handful of maps

im actually curious how many people who havent been following things closely will buy this and be disappointed when only 6 maps or w/e have improved gfx

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Crafty posted:

No, no you didn't

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If the king of boners doesn't know what the gently caress MS and 343i are doing then how are the rest of them going to cope.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
By playing halo and all the new games coming out probably

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Bobtista posted:

If the king of boners doesn't know what the gently caress MS and 343i are doing then how are the rest of them going to cope.

Too many good games to keep track of, the hard life of a boner.

I hear the driveclub thread was gassed, can you confirm?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crafty posted:

Too many good games to keep track of, the hard life of a boner.

Sadly I cannot, for I give no fucks about sim racing.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Halo is campaign is better than the last of us. Last of us multiplayer is better than halo. Both games are awful.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Bobtista posted:

Sadly I cannot, for I give no fucks about sim racing.

Neither do Sony or evolution from the looks of the driveclub release

The November dashboard update is rolling out now boners, exciting times!

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

hm? oh no we didnt actually remaster all of halo2 for halo 2 anniversary as part of our halo the master chief collection. have you SEEN these cutscenes though? i hope you enjoy them because youre gonna be looking at a static load screen before each one

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Halo is campaign is better than the last of us. Last of us multiplayer is better than halo. Both games are awful.

You feeling ok? You didn't mention the Wii u in this post.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

No, better. The OP gave up on the game, returned it, and closed the thread. One less one in/one out!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

univbee posted:

No, better. The OP gave up on the game, returned it, and closed the thread. One less one in/one out!

Best possible ending to any thread TBH.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

univbee posted:

Hose pipe in the exhaust. A driving game that literally drives players to suicide.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Crafty posted:

Hose pipe in the exhaust. A driving game that literally drives players to suicide.
No, that would be GT5 which originally included a 24-hour endurance run and no mid-race save feature.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Bobtista posted:

They run simultaneously so you can get bored of the novelty of switching back and forth from new to old.

This was cool when the Monkey Island remake did it with the all-new drawings, but why the gently caress would I want to do it in an FPS where they just made the existing graphics look better?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dr. Eldarion posted:

This was cool when the Monkey Island remake did it with the all-new drawings, but why the gently caress would I want to do it in an FPS where they just made the existing graphics look better?

Because graphics don't matter but if they just dumped over the vanilla Halo 2 Xbox 1 (One) release boners would probably be upset because it would look like poo poo compared to the remastered 1 and the later-gen 3 and 4.

Graphics don't matter though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Any news on Cortanas boobs?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

peter gabriel posted:

Any news on Cortanas boobs?

Pretty sure they are fake

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
How can the xbox one not run a game designed around a 733mhz celeron p3 hybrid/geforce 3 at 1080p properly?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I think it's because they wanted to keep the engine exactly how it is, and just add a coat of paint on it. So all the physics, logic, ai, etc. is a 100% copy of the original. No idea why they kept the option to switch the graphics around, but maybe it's to keep the spergs happy

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 8, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Crafty posted:

Pretty sure they are fake

God loving dammit

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

How can the xbox one not run a game designed around a 733mhz celeron p3 hybrid/geforce 3 at 1080p properly?

Ostensibly it's because they're running and rendering the remaster simultaneously at all times in the background for the instant switching gimmick, so it's basically running two games at once and the xbox one is a piece of poo poo.

Alternatively its just that the xbox one is a piece of poo poo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Don Lapre posted:

It's poo poo

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bobtista posted:

Ostensibly it's because they're running and rendering the remaster simultaneously at all times in the background for the instant switching gimmick, so it's basically running two games at once and the xbox one is a piece of poo poo.

Alternatively its just that the xbox one is a piece of poo poo.

Which is why we need the 1.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Don Lapre posted:

The h2 multiplayer is '1080p properly'

• Locked thread