Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etP6_Ukj6AM

Holy gently caress did I buy that much what have I done? :psyduck:

Ooh those Egyptian gods look pretty cool

I only ordered the mouslings and some paints though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etP6_Ukj6AM

Holy gently caress did I buy that much what have I done? :psyduck:

gently caress, I "only" bought the not-tarrasque and Dragons Don't Share, and I pulled a :vince: when I saw them come into view at the end.

poo poo's gonna be real.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Two things come to mind when I watch that video:

1) I'm so glad they had a bunch of big non-dragon monsters in this one, and that I bought in on them. And,

2) I genuinely love their janky-rear end videography style where they're clearly pulling a cloth across a table by hand and they have to keep adjusting their grip and it's going left and right almost uncontrollably and they're barely able to keep it in frame. :allears:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Bad Munki posted:

Two things come to mind when I watch that video:

1) I'm so glad they had a bunch of big non-dragon monsters in this one, and that I bought in on them. And,

2) I genuinely love their janky-rear end videography style where they're clearly pulling a cloth across a table by hand and they have to keep adjusting their grip and it's going left and right almost uncontrollably and they're barely able to keep it in frame. :allears:

Seems more to me like they were failing to hold the camera steady as they walked along the thing, rather than holding the camera still and moving the minis.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I suddenly really regret not buying into bones 2.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

senrath posted:

Seems more to me like they were failing to hold the camera steady as they walked along the thing, rather than holding the camera still and moving the minis.

Nah, I don't think so: the camera would change elevation and it'd be an entirely different sort of bumpity behavior. In any event, it's still adorably janky.

Anyhow, can't wait for that kraken.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Looking at the video I'm pretty satisfied with my choice to only get the basic box. I already have several drawers of unpainted minis from Bones I.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Welp. I really thought they'd have things on time this time around. Sorry to everyone I told, "Yeah, I'm sure it'll work out, they've got everything planned out, and they've padded their estimate way more than last time."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This waves thing is frustrating and dumb, since they could otherwise already be sending out orders that don't have the core stuff they're redoing.

It's absolutely increasing overall fulfillment time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

This waves thing is frustrating and dumb, since they could otherwise already be sending out orders that don't have the core stuff they're redoing.

It's absolutely increasing overall fulfillment time.

Possibly overall time, yes. But I bet it saves them labor costs. It's cheaper to hire ten people to pack all the orders at once, for each wave, for like 30 hours a week for six straight weeks. Rather than hire eight people for two weeks on, then five weeks off, then another week on, then two weeks off, and then hire back up to 12 to get through the last three and a half weeks.

Or whatever, but you get my point: if you are packing any orders at all, you have to have the labor to move around boxes, sort things, pack things, double-check, etc. You also have to be able to query your database of customers on the basis of only those minis you have received.

And presumably if any of the minis that have to be re-cast are parts of the core set, that would affect like 90%+ of the orders anyway; why hire people and start processing and shipping, if it's going to be such a small smattering of customers, while everyone who doesn't get an order is mad?

Being a couple months late is completely par for the course for any kickstarter, and it really shouldn't be surprising or a big deal that Reaper decided to do waves in order to control and manage expectations and keep overall labor costs down.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah I think waves was an adequate solution to the problems they had with Bones 1, it's not perfect but neither are any of the alternatives.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, I'd have just preferred a provision that the waves would be more of a suggestion susceptible to circumstance than the literal word of God that you'll get your stuff first.

Are they definitely hiring-on temporary packers for this? I had the impression everything was being assembled in-house by Reaper staff. If they'd just skip orders that included core sets (where the problem casts are) they could knock out the à la carte orders and side-bundles, and get everybody back to business-as-usual that much faster. Or assemble everything (minus the faulty casts) and get whatever subset of completed orders out the door in wave-order, only delaying the things that were actually delayed.

I'm admittedly salty about it because I didn't order the core set. My stuff is done, but stuck in limbo until an unrelated problem is resolved for a higher caste of backers.

e:

last update posted:

We are still waiting on revised prototypes of 6 models for approval, and as soon as that is done we will be able to schedule the final shipment and begin fulfillment! Production is 100% complete on all Options and Expansions, and everything is done for the Core Sets except those models.

moths fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 14, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Floppity dragons what whaaaaaat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Munki posted:

Floppity dragons what whaaaaaat
Girl you know my dragon stands upright, no extra tree supplements needed, ya dig

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
I am pretty happy they are giving a free fix but that small tree sure looks dumb to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm certain I can fix it without the tree, by doing some surgery and embedding wire support structure, but then again I don't think I actually bought one of those so whatever. It's kind of a lovely hackjob fix. Not much to be done about it if they've already done a full production run, though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Seems like the sort of thing, after the last one and all the warnings this time, you test on a production sample before greenlighting a run of 10,000

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm guessing since they probably have what, 200 production samples to QA, that they just look them over for any bad/wrong detail, stand them up on the table for a sec, and then go "yup this is fine."

Letting it stand on the table overnight wasn't in their test plan.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm not sure if there's a better thread to ask but - I finished painting my Ebonwrath, and he looks loving AWESOME. I decided to stand him on this rad rock I found, then put the rock on a diorama (I got the idea from a post I saw online). Questions:

What's the best glue to attach him to the rock with? I tried a couple of superglues but his feet are a little askew, and the back one especially keeps popping up.

I want to put some piles of gold and riches around him. Is there a good place to find cheap piles of treasure-looking gold ("pyrite flakes" surprisingly doesn't give my anything), or should I just paint some rocks and sand with gold paint and do a really light wash around them? Or cheap small gemstone knockoffs?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

If you have any plaster, you can do this simple method: http://gamedecor.com/abasworld/Tricks/treasures%20&%20trinkets.htm

Scroll down to 'coin piles'.

Basically, take a lump of clay, dig your thumb in it to the size you want, then poke it with a small rod over and over to give it a coin texture. Cast it, pop it out; poof, a pile of coins.

He also has a suggestion below it which is basically hot glue and glitter, but it might be too sparkly.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That's a great site- thanks, I'll give it a try!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh well.

quote:

We have received notice that our final shipment of product from China is expected to ship the last week of November. This shipment may take up to 24 days to reach the Customs office in Dallas, Texas, where it will be held for taxes and inspection. Customs has in the past had release times as fast as 3 days, or as long as 6 weeks.

So, February.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wasn't a big part of Bones I to shift production to Texas?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, it bought them in injection molder or two, but that's nowhere NEAR enough to cover the literal millions of little plastic monsters that are needed. It will ease regular production in a big way, but this sort of all-at-once production requires facilities far beyond what they would normally be expected to have.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
For perspective, the facility in China had 14 to 16 machines. At least ten have been dedicated to Bones production. In-house production is a long-term goal.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JackMann posted:

For perspective, the facility in China had 14 to 16 machines. At least ten have been dedicated to Bones production. In-house production is a long-term goal.

So bones 3 is a safe bet and maybe a 4? How much stuff in their catalog is still metal or plastic?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Bones 3 already happened, they did the CAV kickstarter. It was successful but not uproariously so.

After the performance in 1 and 2 I'd be a little surprised to see a third, though - but I've been wrong before, and as I understand it these KSes are mostly to buy the injection moulds, so... I guess at the point where they need to get more figures in production, they probably do another kickstarter.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

thespaceinvader posted:

Bones 3 already happened, they did the CAV kickstarter. It was successful but not uproariously so.

After the performance in 1 and 2 I'd be a little surprised to see a third, though - but I've been wrong before, and as I understand it these KSes are mostly to buy the injection moulds, so... I guess at the point where they need to get more figures in production, they probably do another kickstarter.

I wouldn't be shocked by a Bones KS for Warlord. It's a pretty decent small sized mini's game and if they got Bone's pricing on some of the units I think it could become pretty popular all things considered. Right now it's like ~80-150 bucks plus rules to get a full army sized force but with Bones it could easily be half or a third that. The books are cheap too so you'd be looking at a buy in of maybe 80 for a large force with the base rulebook or like 40 with a small force. Mantic managed to sell people on "it's A Games Workshop Game but half price" like four or five times on KS so far so I think Reaper could pull some serious dosh with the right marketing campaign behind it.

And I'm not just saying this because they sent me a free copy of the rulebook for Warlord Second Edition (well I kind of am because otherwise I would have never read or played it ever but still).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's actually a great call - I don't believe we've seen any Warlord stuff in their Kickstarters, either.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

moths posted:

That's actually a great call - I don't believe we've seen any Warlord stuff in their Kickstarters, either.

Theres maybe a dozen or so just due to some of the Warlord line also crossing over into their generic lines. A few heroes, some of the not-illithids etc

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Right, as said, the point of the kickstarters were to get their own injectors to depend less on China. However, to actually fulfill the kickstarters, they need the factories in China. They're producing more and more of the stuff they sell on a daily basis in house now, but it's not 100% quite yet.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

I haven't been totally happy with some of the bones bases, so I tried a quick fix on my skellies: CA-glue the base directly onto a 1" plastic chit, then fill in with a sand/PVA-glue paste. Seems acceptable so far. I'll report back when I have them painted.

An update after an embarrasingly long time: Just got around to painting these bases with a quick basecoat, wash and drybrush. I like the results and will probably be using CA-to-chit/fill-with-sand-PVA again in the future for quick basing needs.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Theres maybe a dozen or so just due to some of the Warlord line also crossing over into their generic lines. A few heroes, some of the not-illithids etc

The griffin from Bones 1 was Warlord, too, I think. I have the metal fig and let my buddy paint up the Bones one. :3:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Crosspost from the painting thread: my WIP Ebonwrath. Because of the lovely cameraphone / flash quality you can't see most of the detail.

This is my 10th mini or so I've ever painted and I'm pretty happy with how it's come out so far.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So is the Kickstarter stuff affecting their other production? Because I've been checking their online store trying to buy stuff and a frustrating number of things seem permanently unavailable.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy crap guys, shipping has started, they say they have most of Wave 1 all packed up and it should be heading out the doors by next weekend, cool.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Where'd they announce this? I haven't seen anything on it yet. Last I heard was still January.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The KS just updated.

Update 103 is hilarious, watching them write around the SRD and name the creatures they can and make up pseudonames for the ones they can't. Wolf-crab-demon. Lol.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

The KS just updated.

Update 103 is hilarious, watching them write around the SRD and name the creatures they can and make up pseudonames for the ones they can't. Wolf-crab-demon. Lol.

Haha, this is one of my favourite parts of the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
:ohdear: I still haven't finished up Bones 1, Stonehaven Elves, or Stonehaven Gnomes yet! And Stonehaven Orcs and like 10 Wolsung figures should be arriving within the next several months. I am so boned.

...Reaper Boned. :whatup:

• Locked thread