Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well they kind of have to, despite the rad stormtrooper armor, they're still an army of guys who do magical kung-fu (plus giant robots and tanks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Bryan K. posted Ikki and Meelo's self-portraits on his tumblr. He made them with the show's prop designer Jojo Aguilar.

Jesus, it's just like 12-year old me trying to draw anime.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My theory?

That's not Kuvira in the bed. That's Zhu Li. :v:

loving called it.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

loving called it.

Yeah, I was impressed remembering that call. The earth-radar shot even has the fuckin' eyebrows so I smugged out for a second all "heh, stupid goon."

Anyway, yeah, next stop is definitely Republic City to reclaim ancestral earth land + vines. Zhu Li has gotta be playing the long-con though -- I expect her to undermine Bataar, possibly to such an extent that Kuvira dumps the Beej because of her meddling. That, or she's legit and will just plain out-evil scientist him to such an extent that Kuvira dumps him, idk. But I will be upset if the series ends without Verrick and Zhu Li doing the things together in perpetuity.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

The problem is all the people who claim to want 'equality' in the world of Korra so far have just been shown to be using that as an excuse to gain power. Kuvira doesn't really care about spreading the wealth of Zaofu, she's just using that to justify her conquest. It sounds much better than "Oh well you're the last city I need and I want to finish my neat Earth Empire map..."
So you think Kuvira doesn't believe in her own ideology? Maybe Nazism was just a scam by Hitler to become powerful. All the villains so far in the show, whether conquerors or anarchists, are true believers themselves.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Everyone here seems to agree that Kuvira and Korra's fight was really good, so was I the only one who apparently watched a bizarro-world of that fight where everything felt really sluggish and not very dynamic at all by this show's standards? I get the part where Korra's still not her best yet, but it seemed like they were skimping on the animation budget or something. Even most of the season 2 Studio Pierrot fights looked cleaner.

Just me?

not just you, in this episode it wasnt that bad but still noticeable. In earlier episodes this season it was very obvious and painful to watch.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

So you think Kuvira doesn't believe in her own ideology? Maybe Nazism was just a scam by Hitler to become powerful. All the villains so far in the show, whether conquerors or anarchists, are true believers themselves.

I'd say that she believes in her ideology but right now she's mostly focused on the reunification biz more than the equality bit. That said, I guess until we see the prison or work camps, we're just Boliningabout it all.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
May I just say that I loved the fighting style they gave Kuvira? Small, precise movements. Evasion. Control. Tiring the opponent out. It contrasted perfectly against Korra's blunt-force strength approach.

To some extent it reminded me of Azula shooting those quick jets of flame. It probably should have reminded me of probending as well, except that, well, it didn't.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

PaulDirac posted:

not just you, in this episode it wasnt that bad but still noticeable. In earlier episodes this season it was very obvious and painful to watch.

I had the same impression, actually. I guess it's justified with Korra; and I noticed quite a difference in the other big action scene we had so far, Bolin's escape attempt: everything was much smoother, and it looked less like flailing about.
But except for that, some parts really do look a little bad, like the giant boulder she levitated during Avatar state. We didn't really have any really "big" bending in the show so far, so I hope that will improve once people actually start fighting... I'd hate for all action sequences to look like Korra's sluggish fight, but Bolin's scene fortunately indicates otherwise.

Other than that, superb animation for Kuvira. She didn't do anything flashy - just rapidly flying sheet metal and a few rocks -, but all the dodging and those rapid arm movements looked sweeeeet. I've said it already: she has an incredibly cool fighting style. Nothing flashy, for sure, but really impressive. I wanted to go through some parts frame by frame just to see what exactly she just did! When she's finally fighting on par with someone, it should be magnificent. In fact, I hope we get a fight like that, and a curbstomping.

Nonetheless, the magical kung-fu enthusiast in me hungers for ridiculously flashy battles, like the S3 and S2 finale, most of what Bolin does or, well, pretty much every single fight with the villains in S3. Hell, I still think the biggest failing of S1 is giving us a villain who DIDN'T allow flashy OR interesting battles at all; I would've defended the finale, even, if we had a proper beatdown between Korra and Amon! But bloodbending kinda doesn't allow that, which is BAD, so it sucked.
Oh well. Next time, I better see special effects flying loving everywhere :colbert:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

One thing this battle clearly established is that fighting in the Avatar world operates on Street Fighter principles: if you jump too much, you're basically hosed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PiedPiper posted:

One thing this battle clearly established is that fighting in the Avatar world operates on Street Fighter principles: if you jump too much, you're basically hosed.

Jumping is usually always a disadvantage in that once you're in the air you can't change your movement anymore and no longer have firm footing which is key for most martial arts is footing and footwork.

I do Judo which is I think is most similar to Earthbending and once you get a leg in the air unless its for a precise reason for a throw like harai goshi you're hosed.

For the martial art style that do have a lot of acrobatics and jumping I can't say, I assume they have a good reason but I assume the disadvantage is still here.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You know, I don't think it's an animation problem with Korra's fighting -- I think it's supposed to look clumsy because she's still recovering and really unsure of herself. It's a huge contrast to her earlier fighting because it reflects her mental state.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

Counterpoint: airbenders.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Raenir Salazar posted:

For the martial art style that do have a lot of acrobatics and jumping I can't say, I assume they have a good reason but I assume the disadvantage is still here.

There isn't one. Any style that has acrobatics only uses it for shows and recruiting. The most acrobatic one I can think of, Capoeira, is more a dance off than a fight.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
BASELESS SPECULATION:

Kuvira dies identically to Chin the Conqueror, Bataar Jr. gets his comeuppance when his grandma breaks out the paddle.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering how exactly Korra's going to work through her issues in the time that's left, and I'm hoping it's the catalyst that lets her reconnect with her past lives, or at least Raava.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

They haven't been around for 100+ years, except for maybe a handful people. Nobody really knows how to fight them period. That's why Amon had so much trouble with Tenzin's family and Korra when she discovered airbending.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

PiedPiper posted:

They haven't been around for 100+ years, except for maybe a handful people. Nobody really knows how to fight them period. That's why Amon had so much trouble with Tenzin's family and Korra when she discovered airbending.

That's been changing with the Air Nation being back. See: that bandit that owned Opal and Kai.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's been changing with the Air Nation being back. See: that bandit that owned Opal and Kai.

Please, those uncultured plebs? They probably ignored like the most sacred rule of airbending.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'm wondering how exactly Korra's going to work through her issues in the time that's left, and I'm hoping it's the catalyst that lets her reconnect with her past lives, or at least Raava.

Rock to the spine.

Seriously, a lot of what's currently affecting Korra is lack of self-belief. I think reconnecting with her friends and working together with them on a series of smaller challenges in Republic City will help a lot. Mako's usually been able to say things that resonate with her (which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they got back together in the finale, which I'm not the most enthused about). We could see talks with former villains as well like Hiroshi, the twins, and Zaheer to lay those demons to rest. We also might get talks with Iroh (with Zuko) in the Spirit World or Korra's spirit puppy friend. I think there's still time, though watch us get burned again and she has a sudden revelation in the last five minutes of the show or something.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's hard to believe that Korra lacks self-confidence after all her past triumphs.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

BrianWilly posted:

Everyone here seems to agree that Kuvira and Korra's fight was really good, so was I the only one who apparently watched a bizarro-world of that fight where everything felt really sluggish and not very dynamic at all by this show's standards? I get the part where Korra's still not her best yet, but it seemed like they were skimping on the animation budget or something. Even most of the season 2 Studio Pierrot fights looked cleaner.

Just me?

Actually it was boring and stupid, and I don't care that she has depression

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Raenir Salazar posted:

I do Judo which is I think is most similar to Earthbending

Hahahahahahahaha ok man. Sure. It's very similar

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone want to tell me which real world martial art is the most like the one where you shoot a loving hadouken?

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Gotta say that I really don't buy korra being a prodigy outside of her early development. Either that, or the definition of "mastering" the elements has slid quite a bit since the 100 Year War. Korra is supposed to be some amazing fighter but she never really does much besides splash around or toss chunks of dirt in between small tongues of flame. I know it's in character but watching this "prodigy" has been dull throughout the series. Azula was a prodigy too; you never knew what crazy move she was going to invent on the spot. Korra has all for elements going for her. Why does the writing insist on the same boring moves all the time? Kuvira acting smug? Blast some air from below her, shoot her into the air and body slam that rear end into the dirt. Throw a wall of flame at her and set your arena on fire. When she's dodging that change her landing point to sand.

The writers make other people fight creatively, but they never give korra any interesting moves, especially when they go to lengths explaining how amazing she is at fighting.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Anyone want to tell me which real world martial art is the most like the one where you shoot a loving hadouken?
Krav Maga instructs students to use their environment when in a fight

So I guess grabbing a bottle and hitting a dude over the head with it is kinda like waterbending

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Baron Bifford posted:

It's hard to believe that Korra lacks self-confidence after all her past triumphs.

Well, depression is not rational in the least. It's like being stuck in a pit and you can't see a way out. And the only persons around don't even have a rope to throw to you. And you keep thinking that you're poo poo for not being able to jump high enough to get out of the pit.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Actually there used to be a martial art that was very similar to waterbending but they stopped using it after the civil rights movement

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Also earth bending is based on Hung Gar King Fu. Look at these scrubs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Actually there used to be a martial art that was very similar to waterbending but they stopped using it after the civil rights movement
Well played.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Hahahahahahahaha ok man. Sure. It's very similar

p. sure this is a troll but http://atla.avatarspirit.net/martialarts.php

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Counterpoint: Hiroshi Sato vs. Tenzin.

Torquemadras posted:

I had the same impression, actually. I guess it's justified with Korra; and I noticed quite a difference in the other big action scene we had so far, Bolin's escape attempt: everything was much smoother, and it looked less like flailing about.
What was bad about Bolin's escape attempt? I didn't notice much flailing on his part, all his moves felt controlled and purposeful.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 8, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

blurry! posted:

The writers make other people fight creatively, but they never give korra any interesting moves, especially when they go to lengths explaining how amazing she is at fighting.

True, but I think that might mostly be a S4 thing. We got to see some pretty crazy things during the last three seasons! Things like the fight on top of the Probending arena, the fight vs. Amon's brother (always forgetting those Tribe names) before bloodbending, Korrazilla (besides EVIL BEAM vs. GOOD BEAM it had some pretty sweet martial arts too), the fight vs. Zaheer when shackled and then unshackled... I think it comes across well that she's just a powerhouse, even when she loses.

If anything, this latest stretch of episodes was too much on the nose about how much Korra sucks right now. Really, it's just uninspired element tossing, and the occasional element tossing WHILE JUMPING (oh no that got you slapped). It's frustrating. Never had that impression during earlier seasons. But, well, it's not like there isn't a drat good explanation for that. It's just... well... hard to watch.

I'm still kind of surprised that we only got, what, three proper battles so far? The midair battle in ep01, Bolin's escape attempt, and now Korra vs. Kuvira. (I'm not counting the short attack on the train, that was obvious show-off for the villain...) I'm seriously getting antsy for more action. This season feels already much too short...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

X_Toad posted:

Counterpoint: Hiroshi Sato vs. Tenzin.

What was bad about Bolin's escape attempt? I didn't notice much flailing on his part, all his moves felt controlled and purposeful.

Nah, what I meant to say was that Bolin's escape looked notably BETTER than everything on Korra's part so far. That's why it stood out like that - in difference to Korra's scene. Hell, first proper battle of the season, if you will...

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

I love how they have the bending styles broken down by each element, and then there's Toph.

The greatest earthbender of all time. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

If anything, this latest stretch of episodes was too much on the nose about how much Korra sucks right now. Really, it's just uninspired element tossing, and the occasional element tossing WHILE JUMPING (oh no that got you slapped). It's frustrating. Never had that impression during earlier seasons. But, well, it's not like there isn't a drat good explanation for that. It's just... well... hard to watch.

Sometimes even something justified within the writing can still be really lovely.

Korra has barely ever actually won a fight within the show, and that's at least partially due to her being written out of most of them. They've never actually shown her decisively winning against much more than cannon fodder, at least partially due to writing it so she only fights the villain at the very end, and now that they actually have her fighting someone 1 on 1 that's not a random mook they let her get her rear end kicked.

Granted, it's partially caused by earlier bad writing more than what's happening now, but it makes it hilarious to have all these characters putting Korra up on a pedestal and worrying about how far she's fallen when she was never really all that high up in the first place.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It's less interesting to watch Korra because she can't do a slam dunk

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

It's less interesting to watch Korra because she can't do a slam dunk

This, but with anything important

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I wish she was at least good at fighting... I was looking forward to some fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sometimes even something justified within the writing can still be really lovely.

Korra has barely ever actually won a fight within the show, and that's at least partially due to her being written out of most of them. They've never actually shown her decisively winning against much more than cannon fodder, at least partially due to writing it so she only fights the villain at the very end, and now that they actually have her fighting someone 1 on 1 that's not a random mook they let her get her rear end kicked.

Granted, it's partially caused by earlier bad writing more than what's happening now, but it makes it hilarious to have all these characters putting Korra up on a pedestal and worrying about how far she's fallen when she was never really all that high up in the first place.

True! Which is why I hope we actually get some mooks to dispatch for now. Y'know, not just boss fights for Mako & Bolin, but some opponents for Korra as well. Hey, they've nerfed Avatar mode now, so she could have an actual challenge... This reminds me strongly of Season 1, where everybody was very unhappy how the entire cast kept losing at every turn.

Yeah, this is frustrating. :(

I wish she was at least good at fighting... I was looking forward to some fighting

My hunger for magical kung-fu remains

• Locked thread