Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Afraid of Audio posted:

How about that patch?

E-cigs are the new hot thing, and actually more effective than the patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ha ha ha even in the loving demo video they get hit a half dozen times from the bullshit laser fields.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jesus

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Afraid of Audio posted:

How about that patch?

There's one EVERY NIGHT man! That's PROOF of the competent and streamlined direction this team has, now get hyped for the 2015 patch! I hear they're fixing chairs and adding remote control doors.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kly posted:

There's one EVERY NIGHT man! That's PROOF of the competent and streamlined direction this team has, now get hyped for the 2015 patch! I hear they're fixing chairs and adding remote control doors.

I am unironically excited for fixed chairs and doors that are not misaligned by one pixel (or has that long since been fixed in the nightly) :downs:

Though... I'm curious. HOW much health did they have in that demo video? Either that was some top tier armor, or they were just flat out using Developer mode or something. It's less "haha they got hit :downs:" to me and more "haha, that would probably have killed an actual player on the second fuckup :saddowns:" , even with just 20-25 damage a tick, that would gently caress you up fast (a quick skim of the wiki, tier 10 human armor is 400 health or something. You don't break enough health to survive all those hits until... T7? Maybe T6 at 175 health could have barely survived).

Wait, poo poo. I'm trying to apply mechanical logic to why this could be bad instead of just making blanket insults. I'm bad at this.

Vib Rib posted:

Ha ha ha even in the loving demo video they get hit a half dozen times from the bullshit laser fields.

They aren't lasers, they are tesla spikes :pseudo: Which changes nothing about your point :eng99:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 4, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ey the big man's back!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

I am unironically excited for fixed chairs and doors that are not misaligned by one pixel (or has that long since been fixed in the nightly) :downs:

Though... I'm curious. HOW much health did they have in that demo video? Either that was some top tier armor, or they were just flat out using Developer mode or something. It's less "haha they got hit :downs:" to me and more "haha, that would probably have killed an actual player on the second fuckup :saddowns:" , even with just 20-25 damage a tick, that would gently caress you up fast (a quick skim of the wiki, tier 10 human armor is 400 health or something. You don't break enough health to survive all those hits until... T7? Maybe T6 at 175 health could have barely survived).

Wait, poo poo. I'm trying to apply mechanical logic to why this could be bad instead of just making blanket insults. I'm bad at this.

They aren't lasers, they are tesla spikes :pseudo: Which changes nothing about your point :eng99:

It's a loving demo for the wiring system, jesus christ. It's safe to say that the damage values will probably get tweaked along the way.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

botany posted:

It's a loving demo for the wiring system, jesus christ. It's safe to say that the damage values will probably get tweaked along the way.

[turns to camera and makes the face Jim from The Office makes]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Imagine an episode of The Office where Jim shows Dwight Starbound and he thinks it's a prank

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

In my Starbound/The Office crossover fanfic when that happens Dwight does a smug smile and turns his chair away. The scene changes to the interview room, where Dwight reveals that he is in fact an avid starbound player and he has an entire glitch city, but that he has also built a lab that reaches deep underground to the magma core.

If you would like to buy it then you must subscribe to my Patreon.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

botany posted:

Could be worse. You could be telling me using blink to zip through faster could be considered cheating and not fun or vanilla (and then later mention you made a mod that allows blink to go through walls) :downs:

vvv Jesus christ it's a wiring system demo. It's safe to say platform vales will probably get tweaked along the way (am I doing this right?).

I will admit that 'hey, shield gens are a thing now' was demonstrated.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 4, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I hope the level design gets "tweaked along the way" because :wtc: single-tile platforming does not make interesting levels

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, the Apex electromazes are complete hell to get through even if you have all the crazy movement tech. loving forget about it if there's even a little lag to send you careening off the platform from overcorrecting. Now that you can't just uproot the tesla spikes, I can't see it being anything but worse off. I mean, even in the demonstration video he fell in enough times to kill a player 1-2 times over, and cut out what was very obviously backtracking through a still-active maze. Echh.
I know it's a proof-of-concept and all, but still.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The one-tile platforming was completely fun the first time, and I definitely didn't just kind of inexplicably fall right past platforms and get two-shorted by the electric walls all the time, so it's good that now I'll be forced to do it over and over if I want techs.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing I'm going to say about the 1 tile platforms, is that it's a very simple fix proven by the tons of modders who have done it, and Chucklefish is deciding to use it as a design decision, because they MUST know how much people hate it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Even Mario bricks are like double the size of his feet

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Exclusive preview of Starbound's finished dungeons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C1BSbq5aB0

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Exclusive preview of Starbound's finished dungeons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C1BSbq5aB0

Yesss. Definitely need to implement those 'Appearing blocks out of nowhere' mechanics.

Here's the last couple days of updates. Plenty of stuff here:

metadept posted:

5th November - Just Progress

It’s been a busy week already, and it’s only Wednesday!

We’ve completed most of the content and basic configuration for the first few tiers of the new biome and crafting progression, so we’re now working through the game one tier at a time to fix bugs, balance numbers, and generally tie everything together. There are a few more biomes to add (particularly at high tiers) and some exciting things like missions that we’ll be working on as we go along, but this mostly involves intensive playtesting and cleaning up all of the new (and old) issues we discover.

GeorgeV and the other artists continue to add more content, including a few more items to liven up the Garden biome. Armagon is configuring weapons and adding shield generators to dungeons. I’ve been fixing bugs and improving biome configurations. We’ve also gotten a good start on numerically balancing the combat and crafting for tier 1 (and discussed how this will relate to the overall progression). Too many small improvements to list!

Kyren also just finished a revamp of the liquid system. The main visible difference is that liquid is no longer compressible, so the total amounts of liquid in large pools will make much more sense, but the rendering methods are still the same. The more important benefit of this is that large quantities of liquid will now settle much more quickly and won’t lag out servers, so we can now start real work on ocean planets.

We’ll be posting more about Oceans and other biomes soon, once we get into the relevant content tiers, but I did just a bit of preliminary testing with Oceans in the new water system and I’m very excited about the prospect of filling them with life!

Supernorn posted:

6th November - Tending the Garden

Hello everyone!

Today I spent time working on the starting planet’s garden biome. Those of you playing around on the nightlies might have noticed it needed a little bit of love.

The first issue was the lack of variation in foliage, so I spent some time drawing some additional pine trees. Metadept tweaked the biome settings to generate more flowers and bushes.

The second thing was the parallax background. The rolling hills were beautiful, but it looked a bit flat with the trees only available in the foreground. I fixed this by adding a few parallax layers with pine trees of various scales amongst the hills.

Lastly, the mountain skybox. I spent some time making it look unique, with tiny pines, grasslands and flowing rivers.

Here’s the culmination of these tweaks below:

The rest of the team has been busy working on bug fixing, starter quests (including quests that generate when you pick up certain items) and the game’s first mission. I expect you’ll be hearing about these in the near future!

Until next time, have a good evening!

Armagon posted:

November 7th – All the things!

What a week it’s been. There’s been such a wealth of small changes and fixes across the board it’s hard to keep track with everything I’ve been doing!

My overarching goal of updating the dungeons with shield generators hasn’t changed, but for some this necessitates a measure of restructuring. For example, the one I’m currently in the process of updating is the Avian temple. This dungeon was typically dark, save for a few chambers, and the player was expected to place torches to light their way. With a shield generator in play, that option ceases to exist.

One pleasant side effect of this change is that it gives players more incentive to use their flashlight, flares and glow stims, however it does necessitate some changes to make it a little more accommodating for the not-so-well-equipped. To that end, I’ve been revisiting the many chambers and peppering them with more lights. The catch is that the player is the one who has to light them. The blasters used by the temple guardians have also been updated to shoot energy projectiles so at the very least you should be able to see where you’re being attacked from, even if you’re completely in the dark.

As our food system is currently undergoing a rework, I’ve been regularly pulled away from dungeons to assist with configuration. At this point it looks like we’ll be doing away with the hunger bar altogether, and rather than punishing the player for failing to eat every now and again, we’re pushing to make food more inherently rewarding by making them provide extended duration buffs. Upon eating however, you gain the “well-fed” status effect, which restricts you from eating any other food until it wears off. As an example, eating a piece of cooked alien meat will now give you a subtle healing buff that restores 50 health over 30 seconds (that’s about 1.6 health per second).

On the flip side, healing items are being buffed to restore the player’s health over a much shorter duration. The starting bandages for instance apply the full 30 health heal over the course of a single second, instead of five, so you’ll be able to heal more rapidly in an emergency, but not to a point where you can simply instant heal your way out of trouble. It bears mentioning that just like food, you will not be able to use more than one type of bandage at a time, and their durations get a little bit longer the more potent their healing effects are.

There are a multitude of other changes, but here’s some of the ones I can actually remember!

Recipe requirements on tier 1 gear have been significantly reduced.

For most of these items the cost has been reduced by over 50%! This means you shouldn’t have to mine for so long to get that starting set of armor and weapons.

Randomly generated weapons found during the early stages won’t be quite so powerful.

This change is for a couple of reasons. First, players finding crappy broadswords that set monsters on fire during the very first stage often made it laughably easy to get through unscathed. It also tended to eliminate any incentive the player had to craft their racial weapons. That said, they’ll still be better than your initial starting weapons and monster health values for the first tier have been dialed down too to make it a little easier on new characters.

Experimental: Nerf DPS on one-handed guns.

As guns are something we intend to make a bit easier for players to get their hands on, it’s important we pay more attention to their balance. Allow me to explain.

Right now, given a choice between two identically levelled guns, a one-handed machine pistol and a two-handed assault rifle, their average damage output was typically the same. With this being the case, why would anyone ever use the assault rifle? This is rather glaring when you consider that players can wield shields, flashlights, healing items and the like while using the single-handed gun. Furthermore, they don’t even suffer the range limitations of their melee counterparts, the dagger and shortsword.

I’m currently experimenting with the balance on the novakid revolvers. Right now I’ve got their overall damage down to about 75% of their two-handed counterparts. This might seem like a large reduction, but when you consider the tactical options this leaves open, most critically the fact that players can dual-wield such weapons, that 75% damage potential becomes 150% of what the two-handers can typically do. Whether or not this becomes the new standard will require further testing.

I hope you guys found that interesting. Night everybody!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Wow nice text dump dude. Why not just link the blog or quote things you liked in particular, such as the removal of the hunger bar:

quote:

As our food system is currently undergoing a rework, I’ve been regularly pulled away from dungeons to assist with configuration. At this point it looks like we’ll be doing away with the hunger bar altogether, and rather than punishing the player for failing to eat every now and again, we’re pushing to make food more inherently rewarding by making them provide extended duration buffs. Upon eating however, you gain the “well-fed” status effect, which restricts you from eating any other food until it wears off. As an example, eating a piece of cooked alien meat will now give you a subtle healing buff that restores 50 health over 30 seconds (that’s about 1.6 health per second).

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Jackard posted:

Wow nice text dump dude. Why not just link the blog or quote things you liked in particular, such as the removal of the hunger bar:

This is a Good Idea and I support it entirely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the lighty up torches, reminds me of a zelda dungeon.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Don't make the food buff prevent you from eating more food, make it so that eating another piece of food replaces the food buff you currently have.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

We're removing the hunger bar and adding "well-fed" potion buffs. Also a guide will now spawn on the touchdown point of a new planet to assist players. And entering a dungeon before lifting the Old Man's curse is now a "bonehead" move :P

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

oddium posted:

adding "well-fed" potion buffs.
Yea get this WoW poo poo outta my face!!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
In Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin eating is completely optional outside of a few story missions that require you to get drunk, but it heals and buffs one of three elements (health and health regen, damaging strength, special-meter and generation of it). Simpler meals and drinks do not contribute toward any of the three, top level eating and drinking gives you 2/2 of a boost in one or more elements.

So it's the right idea.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

These changes sound great, for me to poop on can't wait to try them out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Environmental protection armor will no longer be a thing. Instead, bosses will now drop "bossite" ore, which can be used to craft a bossite pick (maybe bossite tier matter manipulator ?? Still haven't decided on how the game will play). The bossite pick will be able to mine meteor comets for comet ore

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Upon defeating the wall of the flesh the world will enter hard mode, furthermore

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

The hardmode boss can be summoned by dropping starbound.exe into the recycling bin

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Slime posted:

Don't make the food buff prevent you from eating more food, make it so that eating another piece of food replaces the food buff you currently have.

Do this, gently caress potion sickness. If the player is taking enough damage that they're having to constantly stuff their face, something is wrong. Fix that instead of making health items worse.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Make it so you have to stop for a moment to apply a bandage or something, don't just do potion sickness yeah. Keeping someone from spamming easily farmable health items is a bit of a problem but the way Terraria handles it is not the solution.

I dunno, maybe if you drink/use too many in a short amount of time you get a small debuff once the effect ends? Like toxicity or a hangover ahah.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It's not potion sickness. It's food sickness. They're making food a long term thing, and shortening the duration of healing items to make them faster. It does make more sense to let you just switch your one food buff, rather than giving a no-food debuff that lasts just as long, though. There's still an opportunity cost in wasted resources.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
I'm kind of sad they're removing the survival aspects of this game. I thought they were interesting. :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I imagine someone will make a mod to add them back in.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

bobtheconqueror posted:

It's not potion sickness. It's food sickness. They're making food a long term thing, and shortening the duration of healing items to make them faster. It does make more sense to let you just switch your one food buff, rather than giving a no-food debuff that lasts just as long, though. There's still an opportunity cost in wasted resources.

Armagon posted:

It bears mentioning that just like food, you will not be able to use more than one type of bandage at a time, and their durations get a little bit longer the more potent their healing effects are.

It sounds like it starts out at a second, which isn't that big of a deal, but if it gets longer as the tiers go up it could start to be pretty annoying. We'll have to wait and see how the scaling is I guess.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 8, 2014

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

It sounds like it starts out at a second, which isn't that big of a deal, but it gets longer as the tiers go up.

Of course it's the one sentence I didn't read. Yeah that's kinda dumb, although it does basically force them to work more on player health and monster damage balance. Still, will probably be more stupid than helpful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, the original complaint is that it took forever to heal at high tiers because you'd have to use the bandage and then wait, so lets hope the healing values are seriously buffed or all we'll be doing is using a bandage and waiting for a different reason lol

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Psygnosis posted:

I'm kind of sad they're removing the survival aspects of this game. I thought they were interesting. :smith:
Spend time setting up a farm and waste inventory space and then you get the special fun of not dying!

No, it was stupid and was always stupid. You can make hunger-style mechanics work, but the game literally has to be designed around the resource management. In something like Starbound it's just a tedious timesink and distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah one of the big parts of survival aspects is that not surviving has to actually mean something. Death penalties more severe than "lose some items, resume", for starters. The problem with just making deaths suck more is that Starbound's largely a collecting game, where you gather mass amounts of poo poo to progress, and huge penalties for dying is not going to fly very well, as evident by all the disagreements over dropping ore/bars.

Food being temporary, optional buffs instead of necessary is a good change.

• Locked thread