Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Abby Jr has been aping NJ moves for years. He walks a fine line between getting a pop for doing those moves given his girth, and not totally botching them. Similar to Tenryu doing enzuigiris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
therse a dragongate card tonight, i'm not super familiar with the roster, is it going to be good?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

therse a dragongate card tonight, i'm not super familiar with the roster, is it going to be good?

quote:

0. K-ness vs. "Mr. High Tension" Kotoka
1. Punch Tominaga, Mondai Ryu vs. Kenichiro Arai, Yuga Hayashi
2. Dragon Kid vs. Mr. Qui Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin
3. Masaaki Mochizuki, Big R Shimizu vs. Jimmy Kanda, Jimmy Kagetora
4. Jimmy Susumu, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! vs. Masato Yoshino, Shingo Takagi, Shachihoko Boy
5. BxB Hulk, Akira Tozawa vs. YAMATO, Cyber Kong
6. Team Veteran Returns vs. Millenials 4 on 4 All Out War ~ Unit Disbands contra Deportation Match: CIMA, Gamma, Don Fujii, Super Shisa vs. T-Hawk, Eita, Yosuke♡Santa Maria, Flamita
*If VTR win, the Millenials all are sent to Mexico, If the Millenials win, VTR disband

It's not as major as the big Osaka show from Saturday (which you should def check out, it's on DM) but the card looks good. If you like watching ripped flippy dudes who occasionally do goofy poo poo, DG's definitely worth giving a shot.

First 4 matches should be solid but typical DG undercard stuff, last two could be great. The tag match features some of the best guys in the company and should advance the storyline from the PPV. Hulk and Tozawa were ex teammates in the heel Mad Blankey group (YAMATO's and KONG's team) and are now faces with different units. They agreed to team up for a special occasion after the title match Satuday, but Tozawa's stablemate Takagi doesn't seem thrilled with the idea.

The main event will also obviously have storyline ramifications as a stable will have to disband, and the match itself could be excellent. If

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 6, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm so hyped for Arai/Yuga as a team I can't contain myself. After the big unit shake up happens tonight I'll try to revive the DG thread/do unit write ups.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Yeah, it's a bit of a followup to Sunday morning's show, but it should be a good show (with potential to be very good).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

eat poo poo Veterans, Millennials forever

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

oatgan posted:

eat poo poo Veterans, Millennials forever

whoa, take it to D&D

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yuriy posted:

Do you like flips? Do you like long winded promos you can't understand? Do you like pretty men doing flips? If you answered yes to any of those questions, Dragon Gate is the promotion for you. Also the card looks fun. Many flips.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
idk if i'd go motyc or hm on it yet so i'm posting here instead of the motyc thread but zack sabre jr. and daisuke harada had a really good match in NOAH that you can see here. structurally it kind of reminded me of a lucha title match in that it slowly built from matwork to throwing bombs; just replace the lucha submissons with World of Sport-style stuff and the big dives with head drop suplexes. it was gratifying to think 'wow Sabre must really like Jim Breaks' and then hear the commentator namedrop him several times. all the matwork was super cool. i wish more modern guys would do this stuff. i did think at times they got a little too cute, like "look mum i'm doing World of Sport spots!" but as soon as i found myself thinking that they'd switch it up. they both do the "cut short selling to get into position for the next spot" thing which sucks. sabre's selling of prior damage while on offense is kinda weak. as usual i could've done without the completely meaningless no-selling and one kickout at the end but it's a japanese match in 2014 what're you gonna do.

looking at all those issues i had with it i guess i'd have to go HM but i'll probably remember it more than other better matches from this year.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 6, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Heading home now from the NOAH Global League finals at Korakuen. First NOAH show, first Korakuen show, and yeah I know NOAH is having problems but it was a fun card and the atmosphere in a full Korakuen was really great. I don't know how spoiler-y it is but I'll say that the final was pretty awesome, and was a pretty drat stiff affair.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Thauros posted:

It's not as major as the big Osaka show from Saturday (which you should def check out, it's on DM) but the card looks good. If you like watching ripped flippy dudes who occasionally do goofy poo poo, DG's definitely worth giving a shot.

First 4 matches should be solid but typical DG undercard stuff, last two could be great. The tag match features some of the best guys in the company and should advance the storyline from the PPV. Hulk and Tozawa were ex teammates in the heel Mad Blankey group (YAMATO's and KONG's team) and are now faces with different units. They agreed to team up for a special occasion after the title match Satuday, but Tozawa's stablemate Takagi doesn't seem thrilled with the idea.

The main event will also obviously have storyline ramifications as a stable will have to disband, and the match itself could be excellent. If

Are all those guys named Jimmy a running joke in DG?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

harperdc posted:

Heading home now from the NOAH Global League finals at Korakuen. First NOAH show, first Korakuen show, and yeah I know NOAH is having problems but it was a fun card and the atmosphere in a full Korakuen was really great. I don't know how spoiler-y it is but I'll say that the final was pretty awesome, and was a pretty drat stiff affair.

you could post spoilers in spoiler tags

Holland Oats posted:

They are all part of the stable Jimmyz

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Holland Oats posted:

I think there's a lot of backstory to it but it boils down to a lot of lost stipulation matches and DG heels being goofy jerks.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Illinois Smith posted:

I think there's a lot of backstory to it but it boils down to a lot of lost stipulation matches and DG heels being goofy jerks.

BxB Hulk and Akira Tozawa had it out for Susumu Yokosuka & KAGETORA, claimed they were plain (which is Jimi or Jimmy in Japanese) and then beat them in a title contra name match in late 2011. They've run with it ever sense.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
So what about the other five guys in the unit? Especially Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Illinois Smith posted:

So what about the other five guys in the unit? Especially Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin

Jimmy Kanda, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, and Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee changed their names in order to join the stable, though Kanda was getting nicknamed John Candy before that.

Naoki Tanizaki got injured in the late Blood Warriors/Junction Three era and was replaced by an imposter Naoki Tanisaki (spelling intentional) played by the current T-Hawk (then Tomahawk TT.) Then Blood Warriors turned into Mad Blankey and Original Naoki came back pissed that Imposter Naoki took his place. There was a Triangle Gate/Stip match where the losing Naoki would have to give up claims to the name and the Imposter Naoki won. Claiming his winners right, Original Naoki was renamed Mr. Quu Quu Toyonaka Dolphin because his crying reminded the Imposter Naoki that he of a crying Dolphin and Toyonaka was Original Naoki's home town. The two continue feuding until they have one last Name Contra Name match of which Original Naoki wins. Imposter Naoki was then named Mr. Pii Pii Tomakomai Penguin. Original Naoki grew to like the Mr. Quu Quu moniker and stuck with it, but added his real name in the middle of it.

There was a Mad Blankey/Jimmyz match where Mr. Pii Pii lost and he was expelled from Mad Blankey. Then there was a short lived Aquatic Team of Quu Quu/Pii Pii but soon Pii Pii went to Mexico and returned later as the modernly known T-Hawk.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 8, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The fact DG has apuestas over names delights the hell out of me.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
That's not even the weirdest apuesta they've done. They've done several "loser must get a punch perm/hair dye (yakuza) hair cut" apuestas.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

coconono posted:

The fact DG has apuestas over names delights the hell out of me.

i know GAEA did this too since it was in GAEA Girls. i wonder what promotion was the first to do it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

That's not even the weirdest apuesta they've done. They've done several "loser must get a punch perm/hair dye (yakuza) hair cut" apuestas.

This makes me so, so happy it exists.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i was kind of excited to see the del rio vs funaki match from wrestle-1 until i discovered they only gave them 8 minutes. gotta leave time for a 20 minute match of barely mobile keiji muto putting the belt on himself apparently.

i guess RINGS guys were able to work magic with 8 minutes so if they did that kind of match (which given their histories would make sense) it could be good.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Maybach Taniguchi, Takeshi Morishima, Hajime Ohara and KenOh play tennis at Ariake Colosseum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4gZL_vL758

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Did Samoa Joe have any other notable matches in Japan other than his match with Misawa in 2007?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Is anyone aware of a good resource/list of wrestling venues in Japan and their capacities? I'm specifically looking for stuff around 99-04 for a research project.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Is anyone aware of a good resource/list of wrestling venues in Japan and their capacities? I'm specifically looking for stuff around 99-04 for a research project.
Stuart's list of NJPW results covers the 99-04 period and it includes venue names and attendance for every show. I think this would be a good start.

http://www.puroresufan.com/njpw/results99.html

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Try going back like 8-10 years at puroresufan.com on archive.org, he had a great resource buried somewhere on there.

mariooncrack posted:

Did Samoa Joe have any other notable matches in Japan other than his match with Misawa in 2007?
He had a cup of coffee in NOAH teaming with Magnus, and a brief stint in Zero-1. Nothing much to write home about.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tokyo Sports Awards are out:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/forums/topic/2014-tokyo-sports-awards/

quote:

MVP: Hiroshi Tanahashi
Best Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Shinsuke Nakamura – G1 Climax 24 Final
Best Tag Team: Dangan Yankees (Takashi Sugiura & Masato Tanaka)
Outstanding Performance: Tomohiro Ishii
Best Rookie: Saki Akai
Skill Award: BxB Hulk
Lifetime Achievement Award: Akira Taue and Kensuke Sasaki
Joshi Award: none (lo Shirai received 6 votes, but 12 ballots were left blank, so no award was given)
Fighting Spirit: Atsushi Onita

I definitely agree on the MOTY

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

Joshi Award: none (lo Shirai received 6 votes, but 12 ballots were left blank, so no award was given)
lol what

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MotY should have gone to MiSu vs AJ, but it's close. I agree with the rest, but Io Shirai was screwed out of her award.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

was Io Shirai the one caught with weed at the japan point of entry and it turned into some weird loving conspiracy?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

coconono posted:

was Io Shirai the one caught with weed at the japan point of entry and it turned into some weird loving conspiracy?
That's her. The last I remember two different parties in Mexico were claiming responsibility for planting the drugs, and it was over bookings.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

Mil Mascaras, at the age of 75, and Terry Funk, at the age of 70, wrestled on the 12/11 Gurentai show at Korakuen Hall. Mascaras & Funk & Masakatsu Funaki won the main event over Nosawa (the promoter) & Yoshiaki Fujiwara (who is 65) & Kaz Hayashi when Mascaras pinned Nosawa after a crossbody off the top rope. Nosawa was beyond thrilled to death to take the move as you can imagine. They drew 1,000 fans for that show.

It's insane that Terry Funk has now done two recent matches in Japan where he wasn't even the oldest person on his team.

Edit: It's online

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...yo-gurent_sport

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 18, 2014

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Flameingblack posted:

That's her. The last I remember two different parties in Mexico were claiming responsibility for planting the drugs, and it was over bookings.

Yeah, she and Nosawa Rongai were caught at the airport with weed stashed in paintings a fan had made of the two them. The two of them claimed not knowing that it was there. Not only was this a huge discredit to both of them, it was also put out that Nosawa and Io had a relationship and lived together. It was later brought out that El Blazer (yeah, really) a.k.a. Takuya Sugi planted the weed because a promoter in Mexico was upset about Nosawa over bookings.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Jake Soo posted:

Yeah, she and Nosawa Rongai were caught at the airport with weed stashed in paintings a fan had made of the two them. The two of them claimed not knowing that it was there. Not only was this a huge discredit to both of them, it was also put out that Nosawa and Io had a relationship and lived together. It was later brought out that El Blazer (yeah, really) a.k.a. Takuya Sugi planted the weed because a promoter in Mexico was upset about Nosawa over bookings.

Making it more bizarre, Sugi claimed that by doing it for this promoter/gear maker, he'd get more bookings in AAA.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
DDT announced earlier this week that the opponent for Super Sasadango Machine will be..

Kazushi Sakuraba.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jake Soo posted:

DDT announced earlier this week that the opponent for Super Sasadango Machine will be..

Kazushi Sakuraba.

I don't know what a Super Sasadango Machine is, but it's DDT so that will likely be entertaining.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't know what a Super Sasadango Machine is, but it's DDT so that will likely be entertaining.

It's former DDT Superstar Muscle Sakai under a mask. He left to run his family company and did some wrestling on the side as Super Sasadango Machine. After a while, Takagi started hauling him back to DDT.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm still waiting for my poo poo Heart ♥ Foundation T-Shirt, which was a plain black t-shirt saying only "I have a poo poo ♥"

The faction included a Super Strong Machine parody, by the name of "Super poo poo Machine"

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
poo poo ♥ Foundation is really only beat in stable names by Homoiro Clover Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
DDT also released a DVD on the Ironman title going through it's history. I want it.