Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
If the old cancellation bills for Bell are that much, wouldn't it make more sense for most people to do a hardware upgrade asap to their cheapest phone, then immediately cancel that contract by buying the phone out under wireless code rules? Is this a thing someone can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Coolwhoami posted:

If the old cancellation bills for Bell are that much, wouldn't it make more sense for most people to do a hardware upgrade asap to their cheapest phone, then immediately cancel that contract by buying the phone out under wireless code rules? Is this a thing someone can do?

Any carrier can do that, but if your cancellation fee is that high, then your upgrade fee must be fairly high also. An early upgrade fee + $15 activation fee + $99 (the cheapest phone you can upgrade to) should make it about the same as cancelling early. I wouldn't bother with it.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

OilSlick posted:

Any carrier can do that, but if your cancellation fee is that high, then your upgrade fee must be fairly high also. An early upgrade fee + $15 activation fee + $99 (the cheapest phone you can upgrade to) should make it about the same as cancelling early. I wouldn't bother with it.

It is indeed about the same, but the difference here being that you come out with a phone, versus nothing. Based on the fact that I once again had to call bell more than once to get correct information regarding anything policy or fee wise, I am inclined to do this purely out of spite than anything else (I have a long history of billing shenanigans from them, hence this mindset).

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Well, there's no rule against it, so enjoy your flip phone I guess.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
When porting a number, does the name on the two accounts need to match? What if it's from a family plan?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Nope you just generally need the account number [or IMEI/SIM I believe] from the old line. Family plan should have no effect.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I did a port for someone that was initiated by an over the phone sales rep. He entered his own name into the customer information field for the port request. It worked fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kind of had a lovely porting experience from Telus to Virgin but they finally got it done after the 3rd try. Also Virgin was just spewing 416 numbers so I shouldn't have been so worried about not getting one -- and in the end I just ported my existing business number over anyway.

Godinster posted:

Nope you just generally need the account number [or IMEI/SIM I believe] from the old line. Family plan should have no effect.

They needed the account number in my case for sure. I had te IMEI/SIM from my Telus line but that wasn't enough, unfortunately. Which makes sense I guess, that you have some kind of information identifying that you're somehow involved in the actual contract to begin with.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Martytoof posted:

They needed the account number in my case for sure. I had te IMEI/SIM from my Telus line but that wasn't enough, unfortunately. Which makes sense I guess, that you have some kind of information identifying that you're somehow involved in the actual contract to begin with.

The port (Wind -> Koodo) went great, and took maybe 5 minutes. Koodo wanted the account number, pin and imei. It also let you set the name on the account you're pulling from so everything matched. Just waiting for the final bill from Wind now.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Are there any Calgarians with Wind who can comment on data speeds? I consistently get abysmal speeds in the 0.5-1.0 mbps range, and dropped packets like crazy, even with 4/5 bars. It seriously takes about 20-30 seconds for maps to figure out a route.

I've been through tech support a bunch of times and done the usual hard resets and whatever, but nothing has helped. They are recommending I go to a Wind warranty center to have my phone and SIM card tested.

I signed up for Wind about two months ago and I haven't had a decent data connection since day one, no matter what section of the city I try, at different times of the day. However, I was able to easily get a stable connection and 5-6 mbps speeds throughout Edmonton.

I also recently found out that Wind doesn't officially support iPhones (nobody told me this when I signed up), so I have a feeling they are going to tell me something like "well your phone isn't supported so there's nothing we can do".

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Rogers bill just went up $15 and I have no goddamn idea why, even after looking at my bill online compared to last month. Did that "gently caress you we're charging more for 6 gigs data" thing kick in?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Reverse Centaur posted:

My Rogers bill just went up $15 and I have no goddamn idea why, even after looking at my bill online compared to last month. Did that "gently caress you we're charging more for 6 gigs data" thing kick in?

This is what happened to me with Rogers and the reason I switched. Go 100mb over your 3gb limit? Guess you really wanted 3gb more for $15!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't go over 6 gigs though :( I was referring to talk that they were gonna jack up 6gig plans even on existing contracts because "we can, who's gonna stop us."

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 6, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I didn't go over 6 gigs though :( I was referring to talk that they were gonna jack up 6gig plans even on existing contracts because "we can, who's gonna stop us."

I did read they were going to do that, but I thought it was a $5 increase only?

Either way I'm smugly on my 6GB corporate plan with no increase :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm on a corporate plan myself.

I think I know what part of it was, I was given $10 off per month for a year when I bought my Note 3 while still on contract with my S3 since I balked at the contract buy out price. A year is up. Also they seem to think I called 411 at some point, so that would cover most of it.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 6, 2014

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

eXXon posted:

first, the voice quality is not great. Voices tend to sound tinny/metallic.
This must be your phone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Millstone posted:

This must be your phone.

I don't think so since it started happening only days after switching one phone from mobilicity to wind. Anyway it only seems to happen ocassionally and it's a moot point since mobilicity won't last much longer. Speaking of which, what the hell is going on with mobilicity? Are they just going to keep bleeding money while creditor protection extends indefinitely? And apparently Vimpelcom sold off their stake in Wind, so now it's owned by a random assortment of upper management and investment funds. Any idea what that means, if anything? I guess they won't qualify as foreign-owned anymore.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I tried to add 20gb/mo Premium Data to my phone plan as I was tethering for a while and they told me I cannot add anything else to my unlimited everything plan and quickly ended the call. They stopped wanting customers or customer money a while ago, they are like that i4i company that existed for ten years whose only product was a lucrative patent lawsuit against Microsoft. The last thing Mobilicity wants is to deal with customers and customer accounts.

I'm hanging on with them just because I'd like the idea that at some point the government will force an existing carrier to take them over and preserve the brand & plans under a bell jar.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

BANME.sh posted:

Are there any Calgarians with Wind who can comment on data speeds? I consistently get abysmal speeds in the 0.5-1.0 mbps range, and dropped packets like crazy, even with 4/5 bars. It seriously takes about 20-30 seconds for maps to figure out a route.

I've been through tech support a bunch of times and done the usual hard resets and whatever, but nothing has helped. They are recommending I go to a Wind warranty center to have my phone and SIM card tested.

I signed up for Wind about two months ago and I haven't had a decent data connection since day one, no matter what section of the city I try, at different times of the day. However, I was able to easily get a stable connection and 5-6 mbps speeds throughout Edmonton.

I also recently found out that Wind doesn't officially support iPhones (nobody told me this when I signed up), so I have a feeling they are going to tell me something like "well your phone isn't supported so there's nothing we can do".

This has pretty much been my experience as well. I've been on wind for about 3 months now, and I'm getting less dropped packets, but it's still slow as gently caress. Guess you get what you pay for.

I'm in WiFi 90% of the time so it's not too bad. I've just gotten into the habit of reloading/refreshing whatever I'm doing when it stalls.

I have a nexus 4, so it's not just an iPhone issue

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Demon_Corsair posted:

Guess you get what you pay for.

I pay for a working data plan, so I would except to get one :v:. The speed isn't so much an issue because I really only use my phone for maps or occasional twitter/facebook browsing, I just wish it had better reliability.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
When I was buying my Koodo prepaid SIM today, the guy told me to consider coming back after unlocking my Rogers phone so they can test the SIM and make sure it works? He also said if anything would to go wrong, it would be with how Rogers unlocked my phone. Is this a thing?

EDIT: Trying to unlock my phone and the IMEI doesn't match what they have on record. For gently caress's sake Rogers.

EDIT2: Went to a Rogers store, they told me to contact Rogers directly. I spend an hour in live chat and they tell me to call. On the phone I am told to go back to the store. gently caress you Rogers.

reflex fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 15, 2014

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Rogers refuses to unlock my phone because the IMEI doesn't match what they have on record. But when I check my IMEI on their warranty site, the warranty information is correct, so it registered at least somewhere. The guy on the phone said adding an IMEI to my account takes 90 days, and I'm looking to cancel within two weeks, and that the stores can add IMEIs instantly. I have a strong feeling I am being fed horseshit.

What can I do? My phone has never been replaced or repaired. It's the same unit I got when my contract began.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

reflex posted:

Rogers refuses to unlock my phone because the IMEI doesn't match what they have on record. But when I check my IMEI on their warranty site, the warranty information is correct, so it registered at least somewhere. The guy on the phone said adding an IMEI to my account takes 90 days, and I'm looking to cancel within two weeks, and that the stores can add IMEIs instantly. I have a strong feeling I am being fed horseshit.

What can I do? My phone has never been replaced or repaired. It's the same unit I got when my contract began.

Pay $2 and get an unlocking code from eBay?

Or go in to a store with a printout from your warranty info and get them to do the change there.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Would third party unlocking work if the IMEI is indeed locked to Rogers, but perhaps not to my specific account? Does it even matter if it's not tied to my account?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
What phone is it? Anything other than an iPhone gently caress Rogers and just get it from eBay/the Internet.

grack posted:

Also, file a complaint with the CCTS.

That too, regardless if they get your issue solved.

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 15, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

reflex posted:

Would third party unlocking work if the IMEI is indeed locked to Rogers, but perhaps not to my specific account? Does it even matter if it's not tied to my account?

Just realized from your posting history that you have a 4S. Get a printout from your warranty info and take it to a Rogers corporate store. Also, file a complaint with the CCTS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My sister in law gave her brother her old Bell iPhone 4S and their mother was able to call in and unlock the phone using her Bell account. The phone was never attached to a phone number on that account, they never asked the sister's name, or anything like that. They don't even have the same last name. Just "My daughter gave me this phone for my son. I need to get it unlocked" and they did everything.

So Rogers is just dicking you around because they're Rogers.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Yes I have a 4S. Does anyone have any recommendations for third-party unlocks? I have a feeling I'll get some more runaround tomorrow at the store and just want to get my poo poo sorted out. I plan to make a complaint with the CCTS when everything is said and done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are no real third party unlocks for iPhones.

Edit: To elaborate, only Apple can truly unlock your phone and only your carrier can get them to do it. 3rd party iPhone unlocks need a jailbreak and are done in software only.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 16, 2014

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I have made a little bit of progress. I decided to try one more time tonight. An Online Live Agent spent close to 20mins going through my account to see what's happening (after I told him if I did not get a resolution, the CCTS would be following up). The IMEI does not appear in my account; however if the agent clicks a tab called "Device History," it shows my phone there as of March 2013 (I still had the phone since 2011, :psyduck:). I still had to call. I explained the situation to the guy on the phone and he was very understanding. He put me on the hold for 10 min and when he got back on, said my phone is unlocked and the $50 is charged to my account. I will now backup and restore my phone to see. I am half-thinking they unlocked some other IMEI that is incorrectly identified to my account.

So far I've spent multiple hours of my day trying to give Rogers $50. :canada:

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Feels good to spend $50 to exercise my rights as a consumer to switch providers.

Tips for future Rogers unlocks:

- Threaten CCTS involvement as soon as you can
- When they ask you why you are unlocking so they can direct your call, tell them you are going on vacation (honesty was not the best policy in my experience--I'm switching providers)

My last two reps must have been angels from heaven because they were great. Far too good to be working at a shitbag like Rogers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Phone locking is unbelievably hostile to consumers. If the CRTC really cared about upping the level of competition in the market, they might start by going the Belgium route, and outlawing the single biggest economic switching barrier there is in this market.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they do that subsidies go away and more people probably care about that than unlocking. Besides, most phones can be done by 3rd parties for almost nothing.

The bad guy here is really Apple.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

If they do that subsidies go away and more people probably care about that than unlocking. Besides, most phones can be done by 3rd parties for almost nothing.

Other countries manage to have subsidies without phone locking. Canada isn't some special case.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

less than three posted:

Other countries manage to have subsidies without phone locking. Canada isn't some special case.

The special case is that the government is completely gutless when dealing with telecommunications service providers.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

grack posted:

The special case is that the government is completely gutless when dealing with telecommunications service providers.

The US, too. http://arstechnica.com/staff/2014/11/atts-outdated-unlock-policies-cost-it-a-loyal-customer-me/1/

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The bad guy here is really Apple.

That's a telecom company chestnut that has no basis in reality. There's nothing stopping the contractual underpinnings of repaying a subsidy for a device which is unlocked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of course it can be done, but the Canadian industry won't change to that model without taking something away.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Of course it can be done, but the Canadian industry won't change to that model without taking something away.

Well all know they are assholes of the highest order. I was simply refuting the occasionally-floated (by the telecoms) idea that subsidies are only possible in a locked-device environment. It's a falsehood.

In actual fact, they may well worsen things in some other way, but I can just about guarantee they would never withdraw subsidies. They are, in and of themselves, a huge switching barrier, locked phones or not - you'd still need to swallow a multi-hundred dollar bill to switch carriers, and that's not something most people are up for, even if it does financially make sense on a multi-month horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FYI, nexus 6 is on (and quickly off) Canadian Google Play now. I somehow managed to grab a 32 gig blue one in the 30 second or so window.