Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

NoUU posted:

This isn't comparable to Minecraft at all. It's not tons of crafting recipes to find out, it's one super end game thing that only people really dedicated even care about.

Yeah, I'm probably being a dick about this. I just kinda bristle when "It's supposed to be figured out by the community." gets thrown around. It's fine here I guess, I just don't like that design mindset in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Yeah, I keep seeing these complaints about how it doesn't explain itself, and it's just retarded. Anyone with half-decent critical thinking skills should be able to figure out what any of the items in the game do by playing around with them.

Fortunately this time around far as I can tell items actually do what they say, unlike Toothpicks and a few others I can't remember from the original.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's always something else when the game just rolls over and give you insane runs. First room of a Judas run gave me a Holy Mantle, giving me Spelunker and Dark Boy with some decent dodging on my part. Then God smiles on me, giving me a Halo. I find a wafer in an arena, then god gives me a Rosary after Mom. I ended up with max damage and fire rate. Not that I needed it since the game gave me a bible on Depths 2, anyway.

Then I kill the Heart with the Bible and God gives me a crack at the Cathedral. The Wafer pulls me through and I got my first boss kill there. Thanks, Binding of Isaac!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cobalt just attempted the boss rush as the Lost. :allears:

It went about as well as you'd expect.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah, I'm probably being a dick about this. I just kinda bristle when "It's supposed to be figured out by the community." gets thrown around. It's fine here I guess, I just don't like that design mindset in general.

There's a big difference between basic gameplay features being meant to be solved by the community (Minecraft) and actual hidden secret(s) in the game meant to take a long while to discover (this, halo skulls, the hadouken in megaman, ARGs as a whole, etc).

It's weird, usually when people talk about stuff like this there isn't so much hostility about secrets in video games. I don't get it!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Broken Cog posted:

Cobalt just attempted the boss rush as the Lost. :allears:

It went about as well as you'd expect.

The Lost...lost? :v:

Out of curiosity, what does The Lost start with?

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

It's going to take me 6 months to get Real Platinum God :negative:

Alkydere posted:

The Lost...lost? :v:

Out of curiosity, what does The Lost start with?

Nothing. He dies in one hit at all times and has bad stats. He gets free deals with the devil though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Do you guys have any weird OCD or rituals in this game? I don't know why but for me ever since I first started playing this game I go down to the next floor by touching the cellar door from its top, every time.

I have a little ritual where whenever I get damaged by something I yell curses at my computer and smash my keyboard around.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Been playing on the Vita since it got released on PS+, really loving the game but holy crap have they ever amped up the bullet-hell stuff. Always hated that stuff, I make one mistake then I just spiral into a series of usually easy to avoid gently caress ups.

Was dicking around on Maggie with ipecac and got the brain and, not knowing what it was, completely destroyed all my soul hearts in the final stretch of the womb. Definitely going to be ignoring that one in the future. Then after barely killing Mom's heart I got hit by her final gently caress you shockwave, I completely forgot about them! Oh well I can always do another Maggie run, just find her slowness to be really painful.

Oh ya, anyone know what the rainbow poo does? I keep seeing it but have no idea what it actually does.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 9, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
My general design philosophy is that things should be designed to be irritating as poo poo for every individual player to get legitimately, but collectively relatively easy for the community to understand legitimately. For example, my preferred version of the puzzle we just saw broken would be if the Lost was unlocked by a random set of specific causes of death for specific characters that's different for each save file. :v:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
The Lost seems like they actually accomplished what Blue Baby was supposed to be in the original game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My only complaint about Rebirth is that the new artstyle does not suit the cutscenes (Not gameplay. Cutscenes). Everything else is pretty aces.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

NoUU posted:

It's going to take me 6 months to get Real Platinum God :negative:

Nothing. He dies in one hit at all times and has bad stats. He gets free deals with the devil though.

He does start with flight! But yea, getting real platinum god will be insane through that character alone. You basically need to beat the dark room and chest paths (and the boss rush?) without ever getting hit one time the entire run. I understand he's supposed to be a "hardcore" character because of his unlock requirements but drat is that asking a lot.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Unlucky7 posted:

Honestly, my only complaint about Rebirth is that the new artstyle does not suit the cutscenes (Not gameplay. Cutscenes). Everything else is pretty aces.

Yeah, the cutscenes look weirdly bad in comparison with the rest of the artwork. Something more "in-engine" as it were would probably suit the game better and give it a more cohesive look.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Unlucky7 posted:

My only complaint about Rebirth is that the new artstyle does not suit the cutscenes (Not gameplay. Cutscenes). Everything else is pretty aces.

These cutscenes look like theyre straight off of deviant art and I find them pretty hilarious what with all this bad shading going on. But I honestly can't remember what the original cutscenes look like. The chest ones specifically.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GenericGirlName posted:

These cutscenes look like theyre straight off of deviant art and I find them pretty hilarious what with all this bad shading going on. But I honestly can't remember what the original cutscenes look like. The chest ones specifically.

They were just drawn in the same art style as the rest of the game, animated similar to Super Meat Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmE3mwS1h9s&t=208s

New cutscenes look weird and out of place but I don't think they look... bad?? I guess??

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I downed Isaac as the Blue Baby on my 3rd try. Holy poo poo that was close. I went in to It Lives with 10 hearts, and then went in to Isaac with 3 hearts.

Having $70 and Pay to Play in Womb 1 saved my rear end. So many hard rooms I was able to just spend through.

So I think at this point, my next goal is Mega Satan. Fought him once, it did not go well.

Starting with a D6 is loving rad though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

The problem is more that...like...what's the experience going to be for someone coming to this game in ten years? They'll either just never find it or have to dig through an old wiki that may not exist anymore. Designing games just for the immediate playing experience just...isn't great from a game design perspective, especially for a single-player game like this that isn't actually built around an online community.
It'll probably be patched to be way easier at some point like The Polaroid was.

Are there items locked behind The Lost?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

CJacobs posted:

They were just drawn in the same art style as the rest of the game, animated similar to Super Meat Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmE3mwS1h9s&t=208s

New cutscenes look weird and out of place but I don't think they look... bad?? I guess??

I think my problem with the new cutscenes is just the weird abuse of shading. Its not good shading. I understand what he's going for but I think he should have stuck with no shading.

Regardless, I have a general question for the experts in this thread. Should I keep opening the chest? Or try my hand at Sheol? I made it to satan the one time I went into Sheol (bless Azazel) but died to his stompy form :( . Should I keep opening the chest and watching bad cutscenes? (I only have 4 mom kills haha).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GenericGirlName posted:

I think my problem with the new cutscenes is just the weird abuse of shading. Its not good shading. I understand what he's going for but I think he should have stuck with no shading.

Regardless, I have a general question for the experts in this thread. Should I keep opening the chest? Or try my hand at Sheol? I made it to satan the one time I went into Sheol (bless Azazel) but died to his stompy form :( . Should I keep opening the chest and watching bad cutscenes? (I only have 4 mom kills haha).

You're never going to get the hang of the place (read: :gitgud:) if you don't do it. You get the heart kill credit for loot regardless of if you bite it in Sheol or not. So throw your life away in hell!

Hell, I'm scrublord supreme and I have multiple Satan and one Isaac kill.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I wish Brimstone paired with more things, like Cricket's Body. That'd be a hell of a thing.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Echophonic posted:

You're never going to get the hang of the place (read: :gitgud:) if you don't do it. You get the heart kill credit for loot regardless of if you bite it in Sheol or not. So throw your life away in hell!

Oh yea I am not opposed to dying over and over in Sheol, I just didn't know if it counted as a kill still. :getin:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GenericGirlName posted:

Oh yea I am not opposed to dying over and over in Sheol, I just didn't know if it counted as a kill still. :getin:

You still get the stuff you'd have unlocked, but I don't think it counts for streaks. I'm not sure on that part.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Low on health and a health down pill totally hosed me. :argh:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This game is really loving good.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Was disappointed today to learn that technology doesn't synergize with the parasite or any of the worm trinkets.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Beat Mom's Heart! Azazel + Brimstone + these adorable dollar sign shades that gave me max damage because I had 99 coins from unlocking Cain made my first trip through the Womb a cinch.

Btw, is the Death tarot card really bad in this game, or just bad on bosses? I saved it for Mom's Heart and it knocked off maybe 2% of her life bar, whereas a brimstone shot cut her life in half.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What started as a run intended as my first go into sheol, I ended up with my first go at mega satan in guppy mode instead.

Sucker didn't stand a chance

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

The only real problem I have with this game is a lot of synergies not working. They could of spent more time hard coding them in.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Lesson learned! Don't pick up technology as Azazel, oh well.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I'm going to like seeing Cobalt and Dick do The Lost runs for the next however many days, 24 hours a day

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

Popular Human posted:

Beat Mom's Heart! Azazel + Brimstone + these adorable dollar sign shades that gave me max damage because I had 99 coins from unlocking Cain made my first trip through the Womb a cinch.

Btw, is the Death tarot card really bad in this game, or just bad on bosses? I saved it for Mom's Heart and it knocked off maybe 2% of her life bar, whereas a brimstone shot cut her life in half.

Death basically kills all non-boss enemies. I had a run where it was extremely useful using the Blank Card space item. It was a free clear of a Womb/Sheol room every 3 rooms or so.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
That cobalt guy really really needs to shave his face.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I usually just throw the Death card at a big regular room that would be tedious to clear out otherwise.

NoUU posted:

The only real problem I have with this game is a lot of synergies not working. They could of spent more time hard coding them in.
It is a lot better than the first game, and there would be literally thousands of special cases to put in. I was annoyed that Pisces doesn't work with Dr Fetus though :argh:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

jsr v2.0 posted:

Death basically kills all non-boss enemies. I had a run where it was extremely useful using the Blank Card space item. It was a free clear of a Womb/Sheol room every 3 rooms or so.

The Sun card is even better with this since it fills all your heart containers in addition to the damage (and shows the map).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GenericGirlName posted:

Don't worry, the 5th mom kill will unlock something special for you :getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How necessary is it to play on Hard mode? What goodies does it unlock?

I just cleared 14 challenges back to back to back (no, not in one sitting, I am not a crazy man) and I want to know what the next meat grinder has in store.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Guys I found an insane seed I want to share with you all. IQ4D ME9Y gave me Quad Shot on an Azazel run. On the first room. Then it gave Dark Bum in the first devil room. A later Devil Room gave The Nail, as well as The Wafer for damage protection after the boss rush. I dominated the crap out of The Womb and if not for having so few Mom kills I would've been able to destroy Sheol atop a pile of soul hearts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, Dr. Fetus (bomb-tears) works with tear-affecting items.

I now have spectral bombs for the Dr. Fetus challenge (forgot the name). :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

So, Dr. Fetus (bomb-tears) works with tear-affecting items.

I now have spectral bombs for the Dr. Fetus challenge (forgot the name). :stare:

Yes, but I'm actually super disappointed they don't work with bomb-affecting items, like the fire bombs, or tear bombs, or poop ones. They're also based on your damage stat, so if that sucks you'll be chucking 3-4 bombs just to kill a spider, which sucks rear end.

In other news I'm in the Chest right now killing ???. As I type this. I rerolled all my items in a dice room and my damage is at minimum but it gave me that stand still invincibility and gemini. I killed Isaac without moving, half expected an achievement for that.