Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I would..who WOULDN'T want to be barefoot on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kastein posted:

You are all doing this wrong, the real answer is to make a 3 cylinder, 2.0L, direct injection twin turbo 6 piston 2 stroke opposed piston engine with no valves, no head gaskets, and the same efficiency and emissions as a modern 4 stroke, then boost it to the loving moon because you have no head gaskets or valves to worry about.

And it would probably still fit under the hood, too. Or in an appropriately sized briefcaselunchbox.

E: yes I am still on about the junkers jumo 205, here it is

This was built back when german engineers kicked rear end, I mean, JUST LOOK AT THE THING, it is simpler than any other way they could have done it, while being completely abnormal as an engine architecture, and yet it is awesome. They even ran all the accessories and injection pumps off the slave crank, which sucks up 50% of its output, halving the strength required in the crank timing gears. Imagine what you could do with that if you put variable timing on the cranks to dynamically change compression as needed.

I think this is already a thing that is happening.

http://www.achatespower.com/opposed-piston-engine.php

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

The part that isn't mentioned is that the new engine also has a water pump and thermostat that are both electrically driver/controlled. So you can rest easy, VW being well known as a supplier of reliable waterpumps, thermostats, and eletronics.

I seem to recall BMW using electric water pumps since the E90 and even though modern BMWs have lots of electric bullshit breaking all the time, the water pump isn't something I've heard about yet?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm sorry, are you saying you've never heard of anyone complaining about a BMW water pump?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Im pretty sure that was just soft fluffy fabric over the original carpet but i hadnt acrually managed to see far enough past my erection to notice

It would not surprise me one bit if sheepskin shag was actually the original carpet specced with the car, and given how immaculate the rest of it is, that it is still the original carpet. Either that or he just goes to ikea and gets a couple of those sheepskin throws and uses them as floor mats...
Hmm I might try that...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I seem to recall BMW using electric water pumps since the E90 and even though modern BMWs have lots of electric bullshit breaking all the time, the water pump isn't something I've heard about yet?

The electric ones do fail. Not super-often like the plastic impeller conventional pumps or the radiators, but often enough that I'd call them less reliable than a (normal, non-stupid) conventional pump. They're usually sandwiched between the right-hand side of the engine and the subframe. Whether or not it's physically possible to remove them without moving the engine itself or the subframe is down to the specific model; I did one on a 135i and had no problems but I've heard replacing them on an X5 is roughly like having petrol injected directly into your heart to see how long you take to die.

Really mercedes-benz are the only modern german cars I can think of that aren't plagued by crippling faults and hideous design deficiencies. They seem logically designed, friendly to work on (as friendly as high-tech luxury cars ever get) and built to a quality standard instead of a cost. And that's not counting the FWD ones.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I had to do a thermostat on a newer Benz V6, forget which model. Was anticipating a fight because book time was nearly 3 hours and I had it out in almost 15 minutes. Shocked me.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

I'm sorry, are you saying you've never heard of anyone complaining about a BMW water pump?

Earlier gen 3-series, absolutely (GODDAMN COOLING SYSTEM and all that), just nothing specific about how the water pump is now a piece of poo poo because it's electric.

Slavvy posted:

Really mercedes-benz are the only modern german cars I can think of that aren't plagued by crippling faults and hideous design deficiencies. They seem logically designed, friendly to work on (as friendly as high-tech luxury cars ever get) and built to a quality standard instead of a cost.

Do I have to say "Sensotronic Brake Control"?

Slavvy posted:

And that's not counting the FWD ones.

So what you're saying is, Mercedes is good except when they're not?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm saying Audi and BMW are universally garbage now whilst MB still has some Good Cars that are well made and sensibly designed. There's no mass-produced brand in the history of cars that has had universally good cars regardless of model that I'm aware of.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

I'm saying Audi and BMW are universally garbage now whilst MB still has some Good Cars that are well made and sensibly designed. There's no mass-produced brand in the history of cars that has had universally good cars regardless of model that I'm aware of.

Volkswagen :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hahahaha.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I can't think of any Mazdas that are/were out-and-out Bad Cars.

Aericura
Jun 12, 2003
I will eat your soul.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

This is what I heard.

Malaise era MB cars can be a rotten dirty bastard to work on, but prior or post that its not so bad.

Oh, and some oddities in the earlier chassis are a total bitch.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Fucknag posted:

Early RX-8?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MiniFoo posted:

Early RX-8?

Mazda can't help that people fell for their trap of buying cars with the wrong transmission. :colbert:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

They never should have offered the automatic in the first place. :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

They exist but you have to go into the bowels of nineties japan to find the really bad stuff.

Garbage transmission, crap engine, crap AWD system, hilariously thirsty and just plain old not very good.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

They exist but you have to go into the bowels of nineties japan to find the really bad stuff.

Garbage transmission, crap engine, crap AWD system, hilariously thirsty and just plain old not very good.

I consider that to be one of the best minivans ever built. Those traits could describe the entire market segment really.
e: Also you could get it in RWD 5spd with an F-block and solve all but one of those issues (I mean lol at 5spd minivan, but...)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 9, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well it worked for the Previa, at least in spirit if not in actual fact.

As for the RX-8 auto, name a car sold in the US today that isn't offered with one (5-unit halo cars need not apply.) They had to just to get even the volume they did; it would've been dead after a year or two if it was manual-only. (just like the auto ones were HEYO)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Fucknag posted:

The Mazda 3s and Protege 5s rusted like crazy. Insane rust after 3-5 years even for Canada.

The Protege 5 in particular could be considered a bad car. Terrible rust issues, wheezy engine with no potential, automatic transmission made of cheese, and a suspension that was hard and lovely like a cut rate eBay coilover setup. I owned one and it was a slow grind of lowered expectations until I sold it. It was never the car its looks and interior advertised it to be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All I'm hearing is that they had some crap cars, but these crap cars were equally as crap as similar crap cars from competing brands.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

8ender posted:

The Mazda 3s and Protege 5s rusted like crazy. Insane rust after 3-5 years even for Canada.

The Protege 5 in particular could be considered a bad car. Terrible rust issues, wheezy engine with no potential, automatic transmission made of cheese, and a suspension that was hard and lovely like a cut rate eBay coilover setup. I owned one and it was a slow grind of lowered expectations until I sold it. It was never the car its looks and interior advertised it to be.

My car has that same engine, buddy. :mad:

It's 100% loving true, needs a full forged build and bigger turbo just to hit 300HP, and that's about where the trans taps out. At least mine handles well, though.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Today I learned about an all wheel drive sixties Mustang that isn't Ken Block's

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fucknag posted:

Tributes. I don't even know if they got them in America, but in the first year they were out, we were doing

- Rear brake calipers leaking
- Fuel pump seals leaking
- Oil leaks between the two halves of the block
- Brake light switches inoperative
- Front seat belt stalks cracking
- Cruise control cables sticking
- Factory sunroofs leaking

That's not including the shitful fuel economy, the horrible plastic-y trim even at the highest spec level and the surprisingly little cabin space for a mid-sized SUV. When they first came out, they were definitely what I would define as a Bad Car™.

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 9, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never driven a tribute but the ford permutation of that platform, the first generation escape, had terrifying torque steer. The engine was lively enough but it seemed like even accelerating in a straight line it was trying put you in a ditch or into oncoming traffic. Plus crippling fuel economy.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Well it worked for the Previa, at least in spirit if not in actual fact.

As for the RX-8 auto, name a car sold in the US today that isn't offered with one (5-unit halo cars need not apply.) They had to just to get even the volume they did; it would've been dead after a year or two if it was manual-only. (just like the auto ones were HEYO)

The STI only comes with a 6-speed manual and really the only reason to get the STI over a WRX is to get that transmission/diff setup.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Fucknag posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5959547/forgotten-cars-the-mazda-millenia-and-mazdas-other-other-engine

Just the other day one came in and had 5 guys standing around scratching our heads. What a goofy engine.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

This is amazing. :aaa:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Factory 5 project car in the works:

The mildly built 302 with loud pipes made the chilly test drive worth it. :)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

302 isn't really a magical engine but my god they sound good.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5959547/forgotten-cars-the-mazda-millenia-and-mazdas-other-other-engine

Just the other day one came in and had 5 guys standing around scratching our heads. What a goofy engine.

Hey, the KJ-ZEM was awesome, they only got a bad rap because of deferred maintenance causing blower failures.
Tribute was pretty bad though, I totally forgot about those.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Hey, the KJ-ZEM was awesome, they only got a bad rap because of deferred maintenance causing blower failures.
Tribute was pretty bad though, I totally forgot about those.

The 929 really isn't that great of a car either.

The 323GTX is brilliant unless you put it next to a contemporary Subaru, enter it into competition or own it for longer than a month.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Holy crap, this is the coolest thing I've learned about all month.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The Tribute was wholly a rebadged Ford Escape, so I wouldn't lay the complete blame for that thing on Mazda. Though I think Ford owned a controlling interest in Mazda at the time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKpqReo9i94

wrong thread ???

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The 929 really isn't that great of a car either.

Having owned one,

YEAH.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So boxy so 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

You Am I posted:

So boxy so 80s