Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's not a concern for me, because I play on Emperor and thus have enough leeway to generate the tourism needed to keep from getting ideological unhappiness. I suspect most players top out at Emperor or maybe Immortal and very few play on Deity.

Makes total sense, I was just getting a bit confused and wanted to double check. The radio slingshot technique is great and is very effective in situations where you aren't sweating picking ideologies first. I also agree that it dovetails nicely with researching Scientific Theory.

Platystemon posted:

I just plan for worst‐case unhappiness and power through it by securing more sources of happiness. The free tenets are worthwhile even if you waste them treading water on happiness because they bring you closer to level‐two and –three tenets.

It’s a foolproof strategy. Too often when you follow the tourism leader you end up hosed by the other civs’ tourism anyway, but once you’ve resigned yourself to Revolutionary Wave it can’t get any worse, even if an opposing ideology is voted in by the World Congress.

I agree that if you can plan for revolutionary wave then you can just pick whatever and power through it. Sometimes the availability of luxuries and neighbors / map progression makes it hard to build the cushion that I'd like to build, though maybe I'm doing something wrong. Like when I have +6 happy and I've built all buildings and traded for every lux available, I start to sweat picking an ideology. A decent amount of wins seem to involve hurting for money, happiness, production most of the way through.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Huh, I could swear I've never seen barbarian Triremes directly attack my coastal cities before. Surprised the hell out of me. Usually they just drift around aimlessly.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So how does popping multiple scientists work? Or even just one, with overflowing beakers for however much you needed to research the next tech? Does it automatically carry over to the next tech? What if you don't have anything queued up? Does it hang it science limbo until you spend it?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Makaris posted:

So how does popping multiple scientists work? Or even just one, with overflowing beakers for however much you needed to research the next tech? Does it automatically carry over to the next tech? What if you don't have anything queued up? Does it hang it science limbo until you spend it?

If you have a tech queued it automatically gets applied, otherwise it stays in a floating pool until you pick one. But the last patch fixed it so only a limited amount of overflow is saved (about one scientist's worth) so you can't exploit huge overflows anymore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s worth noting that research agreements just vomit their beakers over all available techs if you don’t have a path queued up. Very annoying.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Makaris posted:

Very well, very well, yes, the game won't let you end a turn until you queue something up, and yes.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Rakthar posted:

My biggest issue with Oxford - Radio is that it often forces me to choose an ideology before the AI has picked theirs. I often can't handle soaking a 20 or 30 point happy hit if my AI neighbor picks a different ideology (and they will due to bonuses), and I usually play on Deity. Generally my AI opponents will have oodles of culture and tourism compared to what I'm putting out.

Is that not a concern for you guys? I often intentionally delay my ideology until the most relevant powers (immediate neighbors, major superpowers) have chosen, get a sense for how the blocks will form, and then I buy into whichever power block seems most helpful.

I guess from my perspective Ideologies seem like they can lose you games more than they can win you games, so I find racing to them a mixed bag. Although Order does work out as a fairly safe bet because it seems like a solid and flexible choice.

Ideology benefits are too powerful for me to simply delay them and they simply provide a better reward than the risk of some unhappiness from ideological pressure.

Also if you're far enough ahead that you can grab an ideology before the AI then frankly you've already won anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DeathChicken posted:

Huh, I could swear I've never seen barbarian Triremes directly attack my coastal cities before. Surprised the hell out of me. Usually they just drift around aimlessly.

They don't really care about your cities, but in my experience they have a sixth sense when it comes to moving embarked units.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DeathChicken posted:

Barbs get a massive malus vs cities, something like 20% by default. As such, mostly they won't. But they might, sometimes.

Myself, I went into the files and reduced the malus to 1% or so. Sure, it might suck for me a little, since I build so much. But the AI might suffer too, since I play Raging Barbs usually. So it works out.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

If you have a tech queued it automatically gets applied, otherwise it stays in a floating pool until you pick one. But the last patch fixed it so only a limited amount of overflow is saved (about one scientist's worth) so you can't exploit huge overflows anymore.

What was the exploit, spend ten turns changing all your hammers to beakers and then pop every scientist before returning to normal? There was nothing weird like wood chopping -> wall building overflow exploits from Civ 4 I assume?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Marketing New Brain posted:

What was the exploit, spend ten turns changing all your hammers to beakers and then pop every scientist before returning to normal? There was nothing weird like wood chopping -> wall building overflow exploits from Civ 4 I assume?

No, that didn’t work (although it does in Beyond Earth) because it’s based on your last eight turns of actual research, not eight times your instantaneous output.

The bug is this: techs other civs know are supposed to be cheaper to research, but instead of simply discounting the cost of techs, the way it actually worked was that any research you put toward the tech would be multiplied, including overflow.

Optics costs 85 beakers, but if you just bulbed three great scientists for a few thousand, they would all be multiplied by the discount factor (approaching 1.56 with Scholars in Residence active). Worse yet, it compounds. You can invest your new, larger beaker overflow in Compass, Astronomy, Navigation, and so on—any tech that another civ knows, because you’ll one‐turn each tech and gain more free beakers than it costs. There was a real danger of surpassing 210 thousand beaker overflow and breaking the game.

For all I know, the code is still broken like that, but with a cap on overflow so it’s less abusable. I haven’t been playing a lot of CiV since the patch broke multiplayer.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Science overflows were clumsily hacked into the game post-release.

No loving wonder they botched something like that. Civ4 gave you a science multiplier in some scenarios, but also made sure to divide by that multiplier once you overflow so you'd never get an exponential growth in overflow.

Kustom
May 25, 2008
Interested in catching a game sometime, joined the Steam group but don't see much action?

Is that the best place to check for games? Thanks

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So this game is fun. Playing Ethiopia, Cathy is directly south of me and could crush me like a twig, except for my *legion of city-states* that managed to be between me and her. To her credit, she was trying to out-ally me on them but I was having none of that. Serves her right for doing that "I'm friendly towards you! I'm also not trading unless you give me everything you own, so really I hate you" stuff.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Kustom posted:

Interested in catching a game sometime, joined the Steam group but don't see much action?

Is that the best place to check for games? Thanks

Here or the Steam group, yes. You've kind of chosen a bad time to look for games though, Firaxis kind of broke multiplayer with the latest patch. No word to my knowledge of when or even if they'll fix it.

Kustom
May 25, 2008

Lord Justice posted:

Here or the Steam group, yes. You've kind of chosen a bad time to look for games though, Firaxis kind of broke multiplayer with the latest patch. No word to my knowledge of when or even if they'll fix it.

Yeah I saw that just recently.. Thats a bummer. I was hoping you guys might have some sort of workaround but thats a real let down. I was pretty excited.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kustom posted:

Yeah I saw that just recently.. Thats a bummer. I was hoping you guys might have some sort of workaround but thats a real let down. I was pretty excited.

Hotseat play still works. If you’re patient enough to play one turn per day, consider that. It’s like a completely different game as far as long‐term planning, diplomacy, and combat go.

Giant Multiplayer Robot is a service that automates the tedium of handling the save file (Steam group FAQ and house rules).

There isn’t a goon game with an opening at the moment, but the time may be right for one, with live multiplayer broken and Beyond Earth having been out for a few weeks.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
I'm beginning to wonder if using these mods is pushing the game past the point of it being completable. I just can't seem to keep up with the AI at all while maintaining my conquest momentum. I'm hitting the Modern Era around turn 150 or so, but the AI is generally 10 to 20 turns ahead of me. I go full Tradition, then a mix of Patronage and Commerce until Rationalism, then Autocracy. Trying to get a Conquest victory. I prioritize Philosophy less because of the nerf, generally getting Construction, Mathematics, and Currency before taking Philosophy and then Civil Service. After that I focus on Education, then Physics, Machinery, and maybe Gunpowder. If I'm next to a mountain I'll focus on Astronomy after Education. Then it's Architecture and hopefully getting the Porcelain Tower. Chemistry next for Cannons, then Scientific Theory to Electricity and Oxford slingshot for Radio and Autocracy. I don't play much beyond this point, because it becomes apparent the game is already lost.

Setup:

Small Continents
1 player, 5 AI
Strategic Balance
12 City States
Quick Speed
Immortal Difficulty
(Madoka Rebellion Story Spoiler) Civilization: Demon Homura
UA: Increases the happiness of all met Civilizations by 5. For each met Civilization, you gain 10% Unhappiness from Population and 5% to all yields in your Capital.
UU: Incubator Slave, replaces Worker, constructs improvements 25% faster.
UB: Illusion Realm, replaces Courthouse. Eliminates unhappiness from occupied cities. Costs no maintenance, provides additional Happiness, and reduces Unhappiness from Population by 2%.

Mods:
InfoAddict (v.22)
Madoka Magica Civilization Pack -- Rebellion (v.11)
Really Advanced Setup (v.13)
Smart AI (v.2)
Artificial Unintelligence (v.7)
AI rebalance (v.1)
National College nerf (v.2)
Rebalanced warfare (v.2)
Social Policy Rebalance (v.6)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You might need to knock the difficulty down a bit - one focus of my mods was to make the game easier for the AI to play.

An example of this would be the social policies. Unmodded, Tradition was the best starting social policy tree by miles. AIs who didn't pick it did badly. By modding the other social policy trees to be better, I've straight up buffed 75% of the AI civs, since they can pick any social policy tree and still do well. The result is a tougher game.

The ideal would be an AI who can compete with a good human player with no AI bonuses at all.

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 9, 2014

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Gort posted:

You might need to knock the difficulty down a bit - one focus of my mods was to make the game easier for the AI to play.

Hrm...Do you mean I have to, as in, I can't actually beat the AI no matter my skill level, or because I'm not skilled enough? If it's the former I suppose I don't have a choice, but if it's the latter, well, I'd rather just keep banging my head on Immortal until I can figure out a way to win consistently and then move up to Deity.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lord Justice posted:

Hrm...Do you mean I have to, as in, I can't actually beat the AI no matter my skill level, or because I'm not skilled enough? If it's the former I suppose I don't have a choice, but if it's the latter, well, I'd rather just keep banging my head on Immortal until I can figure out a way to win consistently and then move up to Deity.

Oh, I'm sure the AI is beatable even on deity level. I'm just suggesting that it'll be tougher 'cause they've fewer trap choices to fall into. (and things like the National College nerf hit the player harder than the AI since the player is better at building and exploiting the unmodded version)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Platystemon posted:

Giant Multiplayer Robot is a service that automates the tedium of handling the save file (Steam group FAQ and house rules).

A post that has long needed an update (done now). I still haven't added the Scholars in Residence thing to the house rules - is it still necessary to ban that or did the patch fix the exploit? (I'm vaguely aware it was addressed but not in an ideal manner?)

Also, some of us are using the Enhanced UI "DLC" mod, I'm gonna add that to the house rules in case anyone calls foul play.

e:

Kustom posted:

I'm itching for a live MP game so I'm thinking of organising one soon - gonna wait until the patch issues are sorted first though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, getting in on an MP game sounds like good times. I've gotta corner the cocoa market and take all the bison. Double-crunch Chocolate Bison Jerky for all.

I hope the multiplayer shot gets re-unbroken before long.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How did it break?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bogart posted:

How did it break?

Reports from Civfanatics are that the game desyncs every turn. It was caused by the patch that adds the "Buy Beyond Earth" button to the science victory.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gort posted:

Reports from Civfanatics are that the game desyncs every turn. It was caused by the patch that adds the "Buy Beyond Earth" button to the science victory.

That is wonderful in so many ways.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Between playing Civ IV, Beyond Earth and a bunch of non strategy titles besides, it would seem my Civ V game is slipping. I'm getting my rear end kicked on Immortal again. Maybe a dip down to Emperor for an ego boost is in order.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KKKlean Energy posted:

Also, some of us are using the Enhanced UI "DLC" mod, I'm gonna add that to the house rules in case anyone calls foul play.

quote:

There are some user-interface mods in the form of 'fake' DLC packages, which allows them to be used in online games (unlike regular mods). Feel free to use them for these hot seat games. As far as I'm aware, they don't provide any information that the unmodded game doesn't (but please do notify me if that's not the case - it's better that any such things are listed and well-advertised even if we continue to allow the mods).

I know of a few ways in which EUI leaks data the default UI doesn’t.

It tells you other civs’ total population as soon as you’ve met them, which I believe is unknowable if you can’t see their capital’s banner (all other cities’ populations are listed in the trade screen) and they’re not leading/trailing on the demographics screen.

The tooltip on workers says what civ they originally belonged to. That’s good to know when considering capturing another player’s workers and immediately returning them to a city‐state for an influence boost and I don’t think the built‐in tooltips have that information.

As for Scholars in Residence, I’m going to assume the patch made it non‐gamebreaking it unless I learn otherwise.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Is anyone aware of any mods that allow tech quote readings to continue even after you dismiss the popup box? I hate how it cuts off the quote, but at the same time I just want to get on with the game dammit.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Trivia posted:

Is anyone aware of any mods that allow tech quote readings to continue even after you dismiss the popup box? I hate how it cuts off the quote, but at the same time I just want to get on with the game dammit.

Not only does Civ4 do this, but if you trade for multiple techs at once you can get Nemoy overlapping Nemoy :allears:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah, there's a clear reason why I know Civ IV quotes that much the better.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

"Put your shoulder to the wheel."
-Spock

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Lord Justice posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if using these mods is pushing the game past the point of it being completable. I just can't seem to keep up with the AI at all while maintaining my conquest momentum. I'm hitting the Modern Era around turn 150 or so, but the AI is generally 10 to 20 turns ahead of me. I go full Tradition, then a mix of Patronage and Commerce until Rationalism, then Autocracy. Trying to get a Conquest victory. I prioritize Philosophy less because of the nerf, generally getting Construction, Mathematics, and Currency before taking Philosophy and then Civil Service. After that I focus on Education, then Physics, Machinery, and maybe Gunpowder. If I'm next to a mountain I'll focus on Astronomy after Education. Then it's Architecture and hopefully getting the Porcelain Tower. Chemistry next for Cannons, then Scientific Theory to Electricity and Oxford slingshot for Radio and Autocracy. I don't play much beyond this point, because it becomes apparent the game is already lost.

Setup:

Small Continents
1 player, 5 AI
Strategic Balance
12 City States
Quick Speed
Immortal Difficulty

Have you considered trying it out on a slower speed with all the other settings the same? If you're particularly aiming for a conquest victory, playing on Quick is doubly hamstringing yourself because that speed plays to the AI's strengths while giving you significantly fewer turns to move your units around and conquer stuff. I'd imagine even standard speed would make a big difference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:siren: New Giant Multiplayer Robot game. Invite 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 :siren:

Instead of having Civ V randomise civs at game start, this game will use a hybrid approach involving Fruitstrike’s Fabulous Civ 5 Drafter web tool.

Everyone bans two civs from the from the game. Venice is banned by default. Each player is then given a choice of three civs, drawn randomly from the pool.

If you would rather play a civ someone else was offered and they feel the same about yours, you may trade.

quote:

What's "Play By Email"?

Play By Email is a form of multiplayer where each player loads up a savegame, plays their turn, saves it, and then sends it on to the next player.

Sounds tedious. What's GMR, then?

GMR is a fan-run service that makes it not tedious! It is a website (and a downloadable client) which does all the hard work for you. You don't need to sign up - you can log into it with your steam account. Here's the website, take a look around.

How long does a game last?

Of the four games played so far, the shortest was over in 3 months and the longest took 7 months.

A Quick Pace game typically lasts 350 turns, and a well-run GMR game will usually achieve a turn a day. So a full game might take about a year, longer if there are delays caused by holidays etc.

However, games end a lot earlier if one player takes a considerable lead and everyone else agrees they've basically got the game in the bag. This tends to happen around the Renaissance in my experience, so games actually wrap up fairly swiftly. The games also speed up considerably if other players get knocked out.

That's a long time - why not just normal multiplayer?

Normal multiplayer can sometimes be a pain to organise - it takes several hours of non-stop gaming and everyone involved has to be at their computers at the same time, and it's subject to connection problems, lag, player drops and all the usual faff. Normal multiplayer is completely and utterly broken at the moment.

It's also more frantic than PBEM as you're always under pressure to finish your turn, whereas in PBEM you can relax, take your time, micro-manage everything (if that's what you enjoy), and spend all the spare time in-between plotting and planning.

What availability is expected of me?

As long as you can play your turn at least once in any 24-hour period, then you're good to go.

What if I'm on vacation?

GMR offers a "vacation mode", which causes your turns to be taken for you by an AI. This is dangerous though, as the AI can gently caress around (as it is well known to do), squandering all your gold and moving all your units around. Also, for reasons unknown, your research and all your cities' production will come to a complete halt (even queuing things up doesn't work). For this reason, it's generally acceptable for the game to be "paused" while a player is away.

Am I allowed to quit?

Of course, but the usual multiplayer house rules should apply: try to find someone who can take over from you. If the reason for your quitting is to do with the game itself (rather than Real Life), i.e. your empire is hosed and you have no chance of winning, then please consider carefully before quitting - you may still have enough influence to dick over whoever it was that dicked you over, which is always a commendable ambition. Otherwise, try to get the agreement of the other players that you may as well quit.

Full FAQ and house rules

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 10, 2014

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Platystemon posted:

:siren: New Giant Multiplayer Robot game. Invite 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 :siren:

I grabbed Slot 4, thanks!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Why ban Venice?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

I grabbed slot number 1. Hopefully this time Windows won't crash and burn for essentially no good reason and I won't have to drop.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Have you considered trying it out on a slower speed with all the other settings the same? If you're particularly aiming for a conquest victory, playing on Quick is doubly hamstringing yourself because that speed plays to the AI's strengths while giving you significantly fewer turns to move your units around and conquer stuff. I'd imagine even standard speed would make a big difference.

Yes, I'm aware that playing on Quick Speed is the hardest possible speed for this sort of thing. I don't want to change to a slower speed for two reasons. Reason 1 is because I'm also training myself for multiplayer matches. While the AI isn't the greatest for that sort of thing, Gort's mods are helping in that regard. Reason 2 is that I don't like the fact of giving myself an advantage like that. The reason I keep bashing my head against Civ is that I hate it when a game beats me when I'm invested in it, and granting myself concessions like that rubs me the wrong way. I'm only playing on Immortal because I can't seem to beat it consistently yet, otherwise I'd be playing on Deity.

Basically my post was asking for critique of my playing style. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, otherwise I wouldn't be losing. I'm just not entirely sure what it could be. As Gort said, the AI should be beatable on any difficulty, any speed, any victory type.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 11, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gort posted:

Why ban Venice?

Venice is a death sentence in MP, and it's hardly fair to consign one person to Venice.

Iroquois is salvageable, Venice is not.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Hooray, grabbed a slot! Note that I'm new to GMR, so I'll probably be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gort posted:

Why ban Venice?

They’re ridiculously easy to shut down in multiplayer. Everyone will vote to embargo Venice and embargo city‐states if they’re in a competitive position.

Alternatively, just throw units at them. They can’t compete on production and buying units is not enough to close the gap, at least not till the late game. It’s trivial to win wars against the AI with a heavy production handicap but not against humans. They are especially vulnerable to frigates. Frigates are scary enough for normal civs, but Venice doesn’t stand a chance. Even if they survive the initial wave, they can’t defend their trade routes and will eventually succumb to attrition.

In multiplayer random civs, it’s extremely common to re‐roll the game if anyone gets Venice. When everyone has a pick of three civs, it’s not strictly necessary, but why not? Leaving it in the pool as a trap is fun for no one.

There’s an argument to be made that no one is ever going to pick Iroquois, either, so why not ban them? Aside from appeal to tradition, I don’t have a rebuttal to that. I think they’re unquestionably the second‐worst civ; opinions may differ about the third‐worst.

• Locked thread