Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Easy homemade nartheciums:

I used this on a ravenwing biker when I needed to proxy a command squad for Sammael.

Here's the biker next to actual apothecary bits. The bits are for a terminator, but the underlying shape and everything is the same.

For the upper lighting bit on the backpack, a melta bomb and sniper scope are more than adequate.

For the narthecium arm, I used an old power fist from the bits box. I cut a chain sword short and glued it back on to its power supply. To that I glued a marine's combat knife that I had filed down to a more needle-like point and stuck a piece of sprue on it that was just meant to hide the separations. On the back of that I glued on a servo skull bit and a bit of the tubing that comes down from the skull.

I hope that comes out clear enough. I didn't worry about being perfect because at first glance it looks narthecium enough to get by most people. After a bit of white paint , I doubt many people will even realize it's a conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Nice, thanks man. That actually looks pretty good, and I love converting things so I will have to give that a try at some point.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

So a Stormtrooper army centered aroud 10 man squads in the fast Tauroxes backed up with tyr command squads in Vendettas. Best idea? Worst idea? Part of me thinks it'll play like Imperial pseudo-Dark Eldar. I'm just thinking about projects and I'm kind of burnt out on old poo poo right now since all my metal models are chipping like crazy regardless of how much varnish I use.

Eh, I think it wouldn't be that great. Their formations (4 squads in tauroxes plus a commissar, or the same but in valkyries) have a good bonus though, I think they are both TL shooting on the squads the turn they disembark. The problem is scions/stormtroopers are just not great at 13 points per for a gun which while AP3, is S3 and has a pretty punishing 9" rapid fire range. Their plus is in their special weapons, not their rank and file troops. Likewise, tauroxes and valkyries have useful firepower if they are taken as transports in a rounded force, but they are not the heavy-hitting pieces you need to win games as IG.

I love stormtroopers but I wouldn't really go beyond using a platoon in my elites slot in a big IG list. That said I would consider going for a valkyrie formation backing up a conventional list. Take a fleet officer and try and get that mass drop in.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Why do Tyranid bits all have to be some... Tyranid-y? I know that sounds weird, but I saw Hencoe posted up some of the tentacles from the new kit, and they look awesome. I want to put them on Chaos poo poo, but all Tyranid bits have that sort of indention on the side with vents and generally look more "organic alien" as opposed to "organic abomination." What's a good way to make them more Chaos friendly, you think?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Von Humboldt posted:

Why do Tyranid bits all have to be some... Tyranid-y? I know that sounds weird, but I saw Hencoe posted up some of the tentacles from the new kit, and they look awesome. I want to put them on Chaos poo poo, but all Tyranid bits have that sort of indention on the side with vents and generally look more "organic alien" as opposed to "organic abomination." What's a good way to make them more Chaos friendly, you think?

Sand them to a smooth surface or, in the cases of Nurgle aligned Chaos, turn the indentations into weeping pustules or other skin conditions.

E: Put eyeballs in them for Tzeentch too

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So I just got a slightly damaged, badly and mostly assembled with no further parts on sprues 1/700 USS Arizona model that my brother was going to toss, and I thought I might follow advice I gave to someone else and Orkify it.

It's 16 inches long, so I was thinking that maybe I'd cut it in half, because the Orks who looted it couldn't agree on which end of the boat was the front so tore it in half driving in opposite directions. Each half would have a mast for a banner, two turrets, and places for Kaptins, other Orks and spiky bitz to go, leaving me with two roughly battlewagon or grot mega tank sized vehicles. I could then magnetise each half to stick back together and make a counts as gargantuan squiggoth.

Good idea? Bad idea? I don't get much of a chance to kitbash with Eldar.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 9, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The question boils down to "Should I do this awesome thing?". I'm not quite sure what answer you might have expected other than a page of goons vehemently saying "gently caress yes :black101:".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

1/700 USS Orkizona

gently caress yes :black101:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

More wondering if the resultant parts were actually close enough in size to work, but ok!

Oh hey the name, further idea: the whole thing is the USS Orkizona, but when it's in two pieces it's the USS Gorkizona and the USS Morkizona. The Gorkizona is the one that's going forward, and the Morkizona is the one that's going forward :orks101:

This is a real project now.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 9, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Yes

That sounds incredible.

Cheers for the heads up with FnP - looks like I'll probably have to do without it.

What're people's recommendations for cheap divination - looks like 75 pt Primaris Psyker is the best deal I'm going to be able to squeeze out, but just wanted to know if there was some jammy forge world model I'm missing out on. Basically I've lost 3 games straight in this campaign so far, and if I lose the next one its campaign over, so I'm looking to kick some teeth in. Facing another souped up (4++/FnP) green tide, so I was thinking 5 LC 5 TH/SS terminators with a Burning Blade/Shield Eternal chapter master, plus a warpriest for rerolling saves in combat + 1st turn rerolling hits, a rad grenade inquisitor, plus a psyker for... I dunno, I'd like to get Enfeeble but its a single result on biomancy so unlikely to be found.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If you're worried about the 1/700 scale you can always adapt it into a Grot project.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

More people should play Metal Slug.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

More wondering if the resultant parts were actually close enough in size to work, but ok!

Oh hey the name, further idea: the whole thing is the USS Orkizona, but when it's in two pieces it's the USS Gorkizona and the USS Morkizona. The Gorkizona is the one that's going forward, and the Morkizona is the one that's going forward :orks101:

This is a real project now.

I assume you already know the Metal Slug series, but if not, hit the concept arts for a ton of inspiration for idiotic hilarious wunderwaffe, including tracked ships and the like.

^^^: :argh:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 9, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm thinking about taking up an offer to play a game of Apocalypse or whatever it's called soon, and I'm thinking of taking my pair of Ork Fighta-Bommerz. I haven't played in literally years so I'm wondering what the latest ruleset for these dudes would be, whether it be a Forge World entry or not.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Leo Showers posted:

I'm thinking about taking up an offer to play a game of Apocalypse or whatever it's called soon, and I'm thinking of taking my pair of Ork Fighta-Bommerz. I haven't played in literally years so I'm wondering what the latest ruleset for these dudes would be, whether it be a Forge World entry or not.

I think they're actually in the new ork codex!

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

So a Stormtrooper army centered aroud 10 man squads in the fast Tauroxes backed up with tyr command squads in Vendettas. Best idea? Worst idea? Part of me thinks it'll play like Imperial pseudo-Dark Eldar. I'm just thinking about projects and I'm kind of burnt out on old poo poo right now since all my metal models are chipping like crazy regardless of how much varnish I use.

You could do this with the IG book, but not the MT book because MT doesn't have access to Vendettas in their book. If you run them as allies you won't have enough troop slots to run the detachment and keep objective secured.

So if you run guard with a platoon of Storm troopers in the elite section that's maybe the best way to get what you're looking for, especially with Taurox Primes as transports. You won't have Obsec, but with the storm troopers you're probably going to try and move them together to overwhelm a point to capture it anyway. So with transports blocking objectives and two or three squads sitting near by you should be able to claim objectives with them.

Plus that way you get some nice artillery pieces to soften things up a bit before the Storm Troopers go in. I've always liked this idea for guard, but haven't tried it myself yet.

Lord Twisted posted:

What're people's recommendations for cheap divination - looks like 75 pt Primaris Psyker is the best deal I'm going to be able to squeeze out, but just wanted to know if there was some jammy forge world model I'm missing out on. Basically I've lost 3 games straight in this campaign so far, and if I lose the next one its campaign over, so I'm looking to kick some teeth in. Facing another souped up (4++/FnP) green tide, so I was thinking 5 LC 5 TH/SS terminators with a Burning Blade/Shield Eternal chapter master, plus a warpriest for rerolling saves in combat + 1st turn rerolling hits, a rad grenade inquisitor, plus a psyker for... I dunno, I'd like to get Enfeeble but its a single result on biomancy so unlikely to be found.

Are you still playing as Guard with the restrictions from the previous list? If you bring a a manticore or deathstrike plus a vindicare and maybe a squad or two of special weapons with sniper rifles you might be able to kill the painboys/meks first and then nuke the rest?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hm, since they had Valks I was assuming they'd have Vendettas too. That's kind of annoying. I'm just looking for alternatives to just running a regular IG army with these guys in a Stormtrooper platoon since I've run so much IG already and these guys seem a little different.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Sir Teabag posted:

You could do this with the IG book, but not the MT book because MT doesn't have access to Vendettas in their book. If you run them as allies you won't have enough troop slots to run the detachment and keep objective secured.

So if you run guard with a platoon of Storm troopers in the elite section that's maybe the best way to get what you're looking for, especially with Taurox Primes as transports. You won't have Obsec, but with the storm troopers you're probably going to try and move them together to overwhelm a point to capture it anyway. So with transports blocking objectives and two or three squads sitting near by you should be able to claim objectives with them.

Plus that way you get some nice artillery pieces to soften things up a bit before the Storm Troopers go in. I've always liked this idea for guard, but haven't tried it myself yet.

Are you still playing as Guard with the restrictions from the previous list? If you bring a a manticore or deathstrike plus a vindicare and maybe a squad or two of special weapons with sniper rifles you might be able to kill the painboys/meks first and then nuke the rest?

Similar restrictions - basically have to run Marines. Might bring a vindicare but the problem is I'm spending 150 pts for this hypothetical

2+ to hit
4+ to wound, ignoring the 4+ invuln, or a 2+ to wound with a 4+ invuln.

4+ look out sir
Then saves (either invuln and FnP or just fnp)

Then that only does like, one wound. Painboys have two!

Other precision shot stuff he has a 2+ look out sir. Gonna run a thunderfire and a wyvern, might bring a manticore too. It's honestly the toughest nut I've been faced with.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SRM posted:

Hm, since they had Valks I was assuming they'd have Vendettas too. That's kind of annoying. I'm just looking for alternatives to just running a regular IG army with these guys in a Stormtrooper platoon since I've run so much IG already and these guys seem a little different.

I have a Taurox-based MT list somewhere if you want me to dig it up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Impaler posted:

More people should play Metal Slug.

Pierzak posted:

I assume you already know the Metal Slug series, but if not, hit the concept arts for a ton of inspiration for idiotic hilarious wunderwaffe, including tracked ships and the like.

Yep, I know metal slug! Once played III for hours at a party, was a free play rented machine. Was planning to find tracks of some kind to put under it or attach to the sides.

ijyt posted:

If you're worried about the 1/700 scale you can always adapt it into a Grot project.

How is the Gretchin crew from Forgeworld? Any alternatives? I plan to have them sticking out of the tops of the turrets, amongst other places.

This is the USS Orkizona, keyboard for scale

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 9, 2014

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

I thought the same thing at first, but you're either stuck with guard allies for a vendetta squadron or running Guard unbound!

Lord Twisted posted:

Similar restrictions - basically have to run Marines. Might bring a vindicare but the problem is I'm spending 150 pts for this hypothetical

2+ to hit
4+ to wound, ignoring the 4+ invuln, or a 2+ to wound with a 4+ invuln.

4+ look out sir
Then saves (either invuln and FnP or just fnp)

Then that only does like, one wound. Painboys have two!

Other precision shot stuff he has a 2+ look out sir. Gonna run a thunderfire and a wyvern, might bring a manticore too. It's honestly the toughest nut I've been faced with.

You're right yeah, I guess snipers aren't all that great when dealing with such a buffed up squad - barring incredible luck.
Maybe just hope that you get 3 hits with a manticore, and can force saves versus instant death to break them :P

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NTRabbit posted:

Yep, I know metal slug! Once played III for hours at a party, was a free play rented machine

How is the Gretchin crew from Forgeworld? Any alternatives? I plan to have them sticking out of the tops of the turrets, amongst other places.

This is the USS Orkizona, keyboard for scale

Make sure to get some freebooters with pirate hats for it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That seems like you will not really be able to do a lot Warhammer-related with it. The scale is really off.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I have a Taurox-based MT list somewhere if you want me to dig it up.
I'd like to check it out, yeah! If you've used it I'd love to hear about any games you've played too.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

That seems like you will not really be able to do a lot Warhammer-related with it. The scale is really off.

Stick it on a flying base and play battlefleet gothic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

My new Ork crews disagree and will fight you over it :orks:

It's not fit for display as is, I can't really fix it and it was heading for the bin otherwise, so it's worth trying I feel.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What da zog is dis? A boat fa ants?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

jadebullet posted:

Nice, thanks man. That actually looks pretty good, and I love converting things so I will have to give that a try at some point.

Alternately, you can also use Anvil Industries for bits. This one is especially good for medic/apothecary stuff; I've got that set, and their casting quality is fantastic.

Koreban's conversion is pretty baller though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So what do taurox's have over a regular chimera. Im thinking of getting one or seven.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

What da zog is dis? A boat fa grots?

Fixed :orks:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I really, really wish FW would put out some Legion Imperial Fists shoulderpads.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hihohe posted:

So what do taurox's have over a regular chimera. Im thinking of getting one or seven.
Better guns, and with the Taurox Prime, more guns, better maneuverability, and BS4.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Hihohe posted:

Better for Ork looting

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hihohe posted:

One major bonus is they look terrible, so lots of room for conversion opportunities

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The various wheel conversion kits from Zinge or Blood and Skulls make it look not-half-bad though. They look like MRAPs with some actual wheels instead of those silly tracks.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
No, they look endearingly stupid. :colbert:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

http://ahnchronicles.tumblr.com/

Another Battle Report is up - this time detailing my horrible loss to the Green Tide - a hell of a lot of fun though, and Commissar Hel (Yarrick) acquitted himself well! Truly an awesome HQ choice, and really adds a combat punch to a blob.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

Better for Ork looting

Anyone got pictures of a looted taurox? I am strongly considering this for my third and final trukk.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One last Krieger left to paint. :woop:
Hopefully I'll get some plasticard or brass rods for the pole in the mail next week or the week after that.
The cable that the Vox guy in the HQ squad comes with is an absolute bitch to deal with I should add.

What's a quick and easy way to paint skulls and parchment by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
honestly i just paint skulls a light bone color (screaming skull, usually) and wash it with a brown, then highlight. parchment can be done in a similar fashion (assuming it's not just a flat plane).

• Locked thread