Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Like most of Slott's ideas Silk will probably be fantastic under somebody else.

Dude would make a brilliant editor and it's a shame he's hung up on being a mediocre writer for some "wrote Spider-man the longest" No Prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Already counting down until they send her to Hong Kong to be "the Spider-Man of Asia."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

Like most of Slott's ideas Silk will probably be fantastic under somebody else.

Dude would make a brilliant editor and it's a shame he's hung up on being a mediocre writer for some "wrote Spider-man the longest" No Prize.

Not for Spider-Girl, he wouldn't. But then according to Frenz every editor wanted to kill off Spider-Girl's parents.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Already counting down until they send her to Hong Kong to be "the Spider-Man of Asia."

Don't be ridiculous. Cass Cain was a good character that fans loved and editorial hated. Silk is a bad character fans hate and the editors love.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

what's hilarious is that she's been at the spider hero game for about a week and she tells Peter she can handle New York. go away Peter, I got this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

what's hilarious is that she's been at the spider hero game for about a week and she tells Peter she can handle New York. go away Peter, I got this.

But she's watched him on TV, that counts as experience, right?

Anyway, I feel that perhaps there's a wee bit too much hostility towards Slott in this thread. As a counter to this, I feel I should praise one facet of Spider-Verse.

He took Spider-Girl back to her short hair and got rid of her piercings, which seems logical since I can't imagine those would be comfortable with her mask anyway (see also: round head Spider-Man from the ultimate universe). And frankly I think it looks better.

Bravo!

Also: the Spider-Man & Human Torch miniseries was pretty great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dan Slott didn't draw Mayday like that. That's all Coipel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

He took Spider-Girl back to her short hair and got rid of her piercings, which seems logical since I can't imagine those would be comfortable with her mask anyway (see also: round head Spider-Man from the ultimate universe). And frankly I think it looks better.

He made her hair better! He killed her parents and boyfriend, but he made her hair better!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spider-Girl didn't have editors, it was just Tom DeFalco getting to do whatever he wanted. If it did someone likely would have looked at Amazing Spider-Girl and went "holy poo poo what the gently caress am I reading Tom" and then he'd just burn them with a cigar

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

Dan Slott didn't draw Mayday like that. That's all Coipel.

Oh. I guess that Slott has done absolutely nothing positive for Spider-Girl then.

WickedHate posted:

He made her hair better! He killed her parents and boyfriend, but he made her hair better!

I don't get why you think I condone what Slott did to Spider-Girl in general. I was merely playing Devil's advocate. That's the only positive thing I could find. And it turns out that wasn't even him. So yeah, Dan Slott is a hack.

Blockhouse posted:

Spider-Girl didn't have editors, it was just Tom DeFalco getting to do whatever he wanted. If it did someone likely would have looked at Amazing Spider-Girl and went "holy poo poo what the gently caress am I reading Tom" and then he'd just burn them with a cigar

According to Frenz it did, but DeFalco and Frenz kindly kept telling them to shut the gently caress up about killing the Parkers, seriously you guys gently caress off. It was a simpler time, when the creative staff could tell editorial to stop loving around and let the guys whose job it is tell the stories.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I am glad that creative freedom was given. What would the comics world be without Wild Thing, Angry Eagle, Darkdevil, Sabreclaw or the greatest Spider character since creation J2.

Unfortunately we must only now put up with the hack Dan Slott.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Waterhaul posted:

I am glad that creative freedom was given. What would the comics world be without Wild Thing, Angry Eagle, Darkdevil, Sabreclaw or the greatest Spider character since creation J2.

Who hurt you, friend Waterhaul?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

I'm sorry you rather seem to misunderstand my point. Part of the reason Spider-Girl was so beloved (at least by myself, I can't pretend to speak for anybody else) was that it actually allowed the main character to have a mostly happy life. Yes, some of the new characters were hokey, but no more ridiculous than a lot of the other characters created in the 90s with stupid names. The dialogue was oftentimes rather out of touch. But at the end of the day, although there were often struggles involved with being a superhero, it was ultimately a worthwhile endeavor. Compare to the vast majority of today's comics, where DC literally has an editorial policy that heroes can't have happy personal lives. So yes, MC2 had its share of ridiculousness and silly names. But you know what? I don't care about that. the MC2 was a place I wanted to keep coming back to, so I kept reading the comics. I sure as heck don't want to see the line's flagship character 'reduced to the panic stricken survivor of a cheap slasher movie'.

Maybe Slott's trying to make a point with the avatars of grimdarkness marching into happy canons (Amazing Friends, MC2, and even the fruit-pie-advertisments aren't safe) and wrecking the place. But quite frankly I don't care about what he's got to say.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

You know you talk about our hatred of Dan Slott but it is like Spider-girl killed your parents or something.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So what issue did Toei Spider-Man show up in?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Schneider Heim posted:

And by what level of bullshit did Morloun overpower a thirty story robot?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

He's just seen in a splash page image of different universes in #9 minus his giant robot. Though he also isn't the only Spider person with a giant robot hanging around.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Waterhaul posted:

or the greatest Spider character since creation J2.

I unironically feel this way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

This but unironically. (Honestly, I've never read anything about the MC2 characters outside their Wikipedia pages but they seem like the best kind of stupid fun.)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waterhaul posted:

He's just seen in a splash page image of different universes in #9 minus his giant robot. Though he also isn't the only Spider person with a giant robot hanging around.

There better be a spider-verse team-up issue where every spider-prson with a mech team up and combine

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There better be a spider-verse team-up issue where every spider-prson with a mech team up and combine

"Form feet and legs and legs and legs and legs..."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I AM MORLUN UNSTOPABLE SPIDER-MAN DRACULA BLAH BLAH BLAH! *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

"And I'll form the web-shooters!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So we know Captain Universe Spidey will probably die because that'll be the old "oh poo poo we're doomed!" moment, but I'd really laugh if then Spider-Phoenix came out and wiped out Morlun and company in one panel.

Then brings every Spider back to life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So we know Captain Universe Spidey will probably die because that'll be the old "oh poo poo we're doomed!" moment, but I'd really laugh if then Spider-Phoenix came out and wiped out Morlun and company in one panel.

Then brings every Spider back to life.

That or his universe will get Incursion'd and he'll be brought down to regular Spidey levels.

I'm guessing the Master Weaver will be the official reset button of the crossover, if it has one.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Yvonmukluk posted:

That or his universe will get Incursion'd and he'll be brought down to regular Spidey levels.
That would actually be kind of hilarious.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

Suben posted:

Black sheep Inheritor is Karn, the guy with diving helmet. Old Man Spider-Man is probably going to be Uncle Ben if they're keeping his identity a secret.

I thought Old Man Spider was explicitly a variation on Peter Parker, wasn't he?

Fake Edit: http://marvel.wikia.com/Peter_Parker_%28Earth-312500%29

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm sort of glad that I'm not writing this series because I don't think I could resist just having toei spider man beat the poo poo out of morlun in leopardon. My love of giant robots is too strong.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's who we thought it was, but Slott is throwing a CURVE BALL and saying his identity is a secret.

Which means it's Uncle Ben and his death will spurn our Peter on to victory.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

That's who we thought it was, but Slott is throwing a CURVE BALL and saying his identity is a secret.

Which means it's Uncle Ben and his death will spurn our Peter on to victory.

That Uncle Ben's death should make Peter go all gurren lagann on the Leopardon and make it galaxy-sized to defeat Morlun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I'm sort of glad that I'm not writing this series because I don't think I could resist just having toei spider man beat the poo poo out of morlun in leopardon. My love of giant robots is too strong.

Hey, there are a bunch of morluns this time. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the overall plot if one or two of them got squashed by leopardon. Too bad this is a very serious event, which precludes fun and/or good writing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Leopardon will be saved for an almost direct ripoff of the scene in Avengers when Hulk slams Loki into the floor of Stark Tower.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Captain Q posted:

I thought Old Man Spider was explicitly a variation on Peter Parker, wasn't he?

Fake Edit: http://marvel.wikia.com/Peter_Parker_%28Earth-312500%29
Old Man Spider's been identified as the Spider-Man of Earth-4, though.

Monaghan posted:

There's no such thing as 'too strong' when it comes to a love of giant robots.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's what should happen considering Morlun's original defeat is through the science of shooting radioactive waste into yourself to counter his mumbo-jumbo. Giant robot is the next tier of science.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So does Spider-Phoenix have a world? I thought he was our Peter. I don't really get the multiverse sometimes.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Almost none of the Spider-Men from alternate worlds are the ORIGNALS from alternate worlds. Ultimate Universe designation is 1610. But in Spider-Verse, it is identified as 610. The Amazing Friends TV show is Earth-8107. In Amazing #7, the Amazing Friends is Earth-1983. These are mostly, if not entirely, alternate realities so that the original universes these characters come from can still be used in the future. Or hell Slott will probably have everything wrapped up in a neat little bow by the end of the story.

Hell the Spider-Man 2099 stuck in 616 isn't even from the original 2099-verse. He's like the the third one. Original, the one from Exiles, and the current guy.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Waterhaul posted:

Who are the others?

Come to think, I hope Toei Spidey gets to interact with SP//DR at some point.

TwoPair posted:

Leopardon will be saved for an almost direct ripoff of the scene in Avengers when Hulk slams Loki into the floor of Stark Tower.

See, we're all hoping for a balls-to-the-wall awesome moment where the giant robot(s?) comes in to save the day, but we all know what's likelier to happen is it'll appear for two panels and then get chumped by one of the Morluns so they can further establish how eeeeeevil and serious a threat they are.

Then that particular Morlun will be defeated one-on-one by Silk.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

I'll take back every bad thing I ever said about this event if that actually happens, I don't even care if it's unoriginal.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I'm just hoping we get a moment like this from Endhiran, but with a spider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl0KYjIawk

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Angry Walrus posted:

Who hurt you, friend Waterhaul?

He's probably read an MC2 comic within the last few years

(That said J2 is the only thing from that universe I like too)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

Almost none of the Spider-Men from alternate worlds are the ORIGNALS from alternate worlds. Ultimate Universe designation is 1610. But in Spider-Verse, it is identified as 610. The Amazing Friends TV show is Earth-8107. In Amazing #7, the Amazing Friends is Earth-1983. These are mostly, if not entirely, alternate realities so that the original universes these characters come from can still be used in the future. Or hell Slott will probably have everything wrapped up in a neat little bow by the end of the story.

Hell the Spider-Man 2099 stuck in 616 isn't even from the original 2099-verse. He's like the the third one. Original, the one from Exiles, and the current guy.

He's stated that Earth-610 was a typo. Also, that doesn't change that it's quite clearly intended to invoke a reaction from fans of those universes, whether the misnumbering was deliberate or not. And despite all the mistakes made by Slott regarding Spider-Girl continuity, he actually got the MC2 designation right.

Blockhouse posted:

He's probably read an MC2 comic within the last few years

(That said J2 is the only thing from that universe I like too)

Man, what is with all the MC2 hate?

• Locked thread