Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I would of liked Buck without the rapey part of his character, he played a decent psychopath nutjob. Pretty everyone on the was island was some kind of crazy whacko and I liked that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

blackguy32 posted:

I posted this in the other thread, but since everyone has moved here, Ill post it here:

The sad thing is that I could probably buy that the game was a satire, if it was in another media format. Because I mean a college age kid landing on a island and then becoming a chosen one and mastering warfare and indigenous culture is ridiculous. But for some reason in gaming, its seen as a legitimate storyline.

I'm waiting for "Call of Duty: Schindler's List" to come out.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If Ubi had a single functioning brain among them they would have tossed that hack writer our on his rear end and just made FC3 all about playing as Vaas to become king of the pirates.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Wow, that writer is a loving idiot.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Bilal posted:

I'm going to echo the praise for Far Cry 2 here. I won't go as far as saying it was "fun," because the balance was really bad- The main problem was the checkpoints and the weapon damage. An AK47 in that game took about 7 or 8 shots to kill a guy (a SHIRTLESS guy.) If they had made it so it was about 3 or 4 shots to kill a regular enemy, it would have vastly improved the gunfights in game. There's actually an article on some website called "How to have fun in Far Cry 2" where a guy explains that if you try to play FC2 like a regular FPS, ie running and gunning with an assault rifle, you'll get torn to pieces- instead you have to choose a balanced loadout that includes an SMG, sniper rifle, and explosive weapon for taking out vehicles, which will let you handle all the threats the game can throw at you. I tried it on a third playthrough and it was significantly more fun.

Honestly, I've always seen that as an important part of the atmosphere. It takes a few extra bullets to kill one guy, even if he's standing out in the open; as you go through the game you start going nuts shooting them way more than necessary. They also had these stumble animations that looked extremely close to the death animations, so after a while you learn to just keep shooting the guy, even after he's dead. Stealth is possible, but it's super hard; I can remember exactly two occasions where I successfully sneaked into an encampment. You get desperate and frustrated and start taking dumb risks, running around and wasting ammo and setting everything on fire, and you usually suffer for it, but every now and then you somehow survive and it's this amazing feeling.

I can't really recommend FC2 to people, and I'm not in any hurry to replay it, but it's one of the most memorable experiences I've had with a game. FC3 tells you your character is going nuts, and gives you these crazy fantasy-missions, but FC2 really makes you feel like it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pound_Coin posted:

Wow, that writer is a loving idiot.

Here's my favorite:

quote:

RPS: Do you not think there’s a danger of having your cake and eating it? You’re deliberately being a hokum story, you’re deliberately evoking lazy stereotypes, but at the same time, aren’t you just evoking lazy stereotypes?

Jeffrey Yohalem: Yes! Do you know what the name of the island is?! It’s Rook Island! Which means to fraud people! Look up the definition – the definition of “rook” is, someone that steals your money, or it’s a piece in chess. So this is an island that is a fraud. The point is, look under the surface. Not because the game is a fraud, the game is not a fraud, but the island is. What is going on on this island, and the clues are right there in front of you. In my mind it’s an interesting undertaking to take on some kind of examination of deeper issues like this, because like you said if people don’t examine it that way, then maybe they don’t see it? But like I told you, I was building a building that has four legs instead of six. If you don’t see those issues, the thing doesn’t make sense. I find it fascinating again, all the stuff that people are discussing on the internet, because you can see that the people who only looked at the surface are really uncomfortable. So much so that they keep discussing it. So to me that says that the story is not fitting. If the story functions correctly, like say Avatar – Avatar allows you to fit with the story. The story completes, then there’s nothing to discuss any more. So your brain goes, “Yes, I like it.” As humans we’re always looking for meaning, and for things to make sense. So if you miss the deeper meaning it doesn’t make sense any more.

The end of this story is very blatantly a subversion of any kinds of racist stereotypes. What I feel like what’s happened is to explain this story you need more than a soundbite, and I feel like a lot of people just glancingly looked at the thing and then got upset. They didn’t actually explore the whole game.

Dude's crazy. I'm gonna go smoke some weed and read that article again because gently caress.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I really thought FC3 was just 2 with animals (that do stuff) and a better enemy spawn system. Improvement all round! I dunno where people are getting this feeling of an entirely different game from. I enjoyed 2 by the way and missed the Busch Gardens setting sometimes, especially the little waterways.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Here's my favorite:

quote:

This is a game about shooting

quote:

This is not a game about shooting. Maybe SpecOps is a game about shooting, but this is not.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Orv posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/far-cry-3s-jeffrey-yohalem-on-racism-torture-and-satire/

E: I guess to be less :smug:-pithy, we're not necessarily saying it wasn't intended to be satire, we're saying the writer hosed up. Hard.

Jesus Christ, he sounds like a tool.

Jeffrey Yohalem posted:

[Becoming agitated again] The sex scene [at the midpoint] – first Jason is shooting at that gigantic monster. He kills the monster, and it jump-cuts to him orgasming with Citra! He’s firing sperm at this gigantic monster, and then suddenly he’s on this alter with Citra, having sex with her, and then he thinks he’s the leader of the tribe and makes the big speech, and it’s his power fantasy!

I withdraw all praise I had for the satire in this game...

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 9, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Far Cry 2 was weird because you would end up adopting tactics used in the real world (without it actually telling you to do them), like using a car parked on the side of the road to time setting off an IED. Or how I passed up on the .50 cal sniper rifle, because the Dragunov would let me wound with a gutshot and then I could pick off the people going to help the guy I just crippled. And then as I was doing that, they would start freaking out about it.

FC2 was a Worst Person Shooter and it was awesome.

Oh god yes, I remember being really annoyed how I could never really gauge my explosives for maximum efficiency so I came across the bright idea of using a car on the side of the road as a visual guide of when to set off explosives because it was a very easy point of reference.

I then realized that this is actually what actual guerrillas do and why people in things like Generation Kill or whatever got incredibly freaked out/nervous if they saw an abandoned vehicle anywhere.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Far Cry 3 mines must rank up there with the most hilarious of all implementations of a mine. Something that beeps as you get closer and has a light on the top does not a working mine make.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd honestly urge people to give Far Cry 2 another try. There's this really excellently done mod that turns Far Cry 2, already a pretty punishing game, into something truly special:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod

quote:

This mod fixes what Ubisoft left unfixed. Dylan's Realism Mod changes Far Cry 2 from an Africa-based sedan and pickup truck simulator into a (semi accurate)
African conflict simulator. Realistic weapon damage, recoil, realistic ammo loads and weapon reliability have been added, along with a more effective stealth suit, and revamped AI weapons. (No more SPAS12s and AR15s for militiamen). Checkpoint AI has been tweaked as well. Checkpoint guards now have a 60% chance to chase you after passing through, as opposed to 90%-100% in vanilla. Militiamen also communicate more frequently in combat, and use suppressing fire more often. However, you are now as vulnerable as the AI. A single burst of rifle fire can kill you, so you are probably going to need that extra ammo and stealth suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpPUWmj7TRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuSO0AYCYc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgXJyNklMZI

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Well i looked up who is writting FC4. Good news is FC3 dude is not writing it. But its the guy who wrote homefront.
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/cjkershner

But, he seems capable enough and it looks like he know what pissed people off about 3. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-far-cry-3s-dude-bro-led-to-changes-in-far-cry-/1100-6421181/

So maybe it wont suck rear end, Either way, playing jihadi elephants seems like a blast.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Get FC3 for PC, find mod that removes all of the story and raises enemy levels, run around and blow up komodo dragons and drive cars off of cliffs. Everyone is happy and there's no way to get offended by a video game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ariza posted:

Get FC3 for PC, find mod that removes all of the story and raises enemy levels, run around and blow up komodo dragons and drive cars off of cliffs. Everyone is happy and there's no way to get offended by a video game.

It's called Blood Dragon.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

I should try that again. I couldn't get over the color scheme and gave up after about 20 minutes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RRRRRGH :argh: :argh: the game makes a joke about unskippable tutorials then makes me play an unskippable tutorial FOR TEN WHOLE MINUTES :bang:. FUK U I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO LIKE WATCH LPS AND WAIT FOR LOL QUEUES :ssj:

Yeah, it fails trying to have it's cake and eat it too but it's like what, 10-20 minutes at most?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/far-cry-3s-jeffrey-yohalem-on-racism-torture-and-satire/

E: I guess to be less :smug:-pithy, we're not necessarily saying it wasn't intended to be satire, we're saying the writer hosed up. Hard.

This is literally the worst thing I have ever read, and encompasses everything people hate about social justice warrioring.

Oh my god, the main character is white. What an affront! Bring forth the reparations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ariza posted:

Is there a particular mod that you recommend? There's multiple mods that do this on the Far Cry Nexus. It looks like Swartz mod is the best choice.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This is literally the worst thing I have ever read, and encompasses everything people hate about social justice warrioring.

Oh my god, the main character is white. What an affront! Bring forth the reparations.

Actually its about ethics in video game writing

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Actually its about ethics in video game writing

You're conflating ethics with sarkeesianism.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Seriously? Far Cry 3 is the biggest loving example of White Man's Burden I think I've ever played. There's really a point when "parody" (which is what they desperately try to paint it as) stops being a parody. I think Far Cry 3 crossed that line very early on.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In doom, there's no option to change the gender or race of the main character.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

In doom, there's no option to change the gender or race of the main character.
Doom isn't trying to make a statement about race.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Welp.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lonos Oboe posted:

I withdraw all praise I had for the satire in this game...
Yeah. When I wasn't sure what he was aiming for, I could give him the benefit of the doubt, but after reading that interview, I couldn't anymore. The gap between what he was aiming for and what came out is incredibly stark.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's almost as if he's clumsily trying to retroactively justify what is a very racist game after people have called them out on it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

It's almost as if he's clumsily trying to retroactively justify what is a very racist game after people have called them out on it.
Yeah, that is also a possibility. I don't know what's worse, him ignorantly making a straight-up story like that, or having all these plans about how he was going to turn game narration on its head and then coming up with that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ddraig posted:

It's almost as if he's clumsily trying to retroactively justify what is a very racist game

Tell us more about how Far Cry 2 is superior.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Postal 2 never had to justify poo poo

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm just going to call it now that it it going to turn out that you are really the bad guy's son and the end of the game will have you end up just replacing the bad guy as some foreigner ruling over the indigenous people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I'm just going to call it now that it it going to turn out that you are really the bad guy's son and the end of the game will have you end up just replacing the bad guy as some foreigner ruling over the indigenous people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea6wWvq7jVM
according to Ubisoft, He isn't the father.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
How many posts in this thread have been about Far Cry 4 and how many have been nerds falling over themselves to say stuff is racist/sexist? Don't you sort of people still have your own thread somewhere to circle jerk?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Xander77 posted:

Tell us more about how Far Cry 2 is superior.

In Far Cry 2 you weren't the white god come to save the ignorant savages from a threat they couldn't possibly best on their own, you were a literal merc who was sent into a very unstable regime and basically given a mission to do.

Far Cry 2 starts from the position that you are a gun for hire who has done incredibly lovely things and will continue to do these things because that's what the game is about. You do not unlock some mystical magical negro powers from the noble savages, you just kill a lot of people and further destabilize an already unstable place for your own goals.

In Far Cry 2 you're a part of an ongoing conflict, in Far Cry 3 you are literally the Messiah sent from abroad to bring peace to people. In Far Cry 3 it literally feels like absolutely everyone but you is incredibly useless and can't do anything until you come along and somehow best the warriors who have been supposedly fighting this entire conflict their entire lives despite the fact you're a privileged white person who up until that point had literally never fired a gun before.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ariza posted:

How many posts in this thread have been about Far Cry 4 and how many have been nerds falling over themselves to say stuff is racist/sexist? Don't you sort of people still have your own thread somewhere to circle jerk?
Leaving aside your assessment of our conversation, there's historically always been this period a week or two before the game is released where there's nothing new to know/say about it and the conversation tends to go into other topics.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ariza posted:

Actually, barely anyone. Calm down there. Also, what the gently caress is wrong with you? "You sort of people" as if discussing stuff like that should be otherized.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ariza posted:

Not enough, and way too many.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doom isn't trying to make a statement about race.

Then why are the brown imps more dangerous than the white former humans?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Then why are the brown imps more dangerous than the white former humans?

Well, the black chainsaw guys are probably even wooooooh nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Doom taught us an important lesson: whether imp, former human or cacodemon, we're all (mostly) red on the inside.

• Locked thread