Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

netcat posted:

iOS 8 Safari deleted all my bookmarks for no reason.

iOS8 Safari always has a reason, but it moves in mysterious ways that are beyond a mere mortal's ken.

EDIT: Serious response, if you really want/need them back you may have to restore for the last backup done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I have another question about Apple IDs. I have two IDs right now, one using an old email and one using a new email. I want to get rid of the old email address. If I do, will I lose access to that Apple ID? Presumably I can't update that Apple ID to use the same email as the other ID, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

I have another question about Apple IDs. I have two IDs right now, one using an old email and one using a new email. I want to get rid of the old email address. If I do, will I lose access to that Apple ID? Presumably I can't update that Apple ID to use the same email as the other ID, right?

You would be correct. I had my iTunes account set to my gmail account. And an iCloud account. I've been told more than once by Apple that there is no way to combine them.

I just have to remember to change my iTunes account information so it doesn't use the iCloud creds.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
What's a good TV show episode tracker? Something to remind me when new episodes are airing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

ray_finkle_himself posted:

What's a good TV show episode tracker? Something to remind me when new episodes are airing.

TeeVee

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What secret incantations do I have to perform to get Overcast to download my podcasts, ready to listen to when I start the app?

I've got background app refresh on, and allowed Overcast to use it, and I even allow cellular download yet I still have to often have to wait for podcasts to download when I start the app. It works some of the time, but not always.

Help me goons.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
Will they ever make Track my iPhone to track your iPhone via IMEI, man they just stole my iPhone and it was disconnected from the internet so it's gone, but would be cool in the future to get this feature in the app.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

NyxBiker posted:

Will they ever make Track my iPhone to track your iPhone via IMEI, man they just stole my iPhone and it was disconnected from the internet so it's gone, but would be cool in the future to get this feature in the app.

Why? If you have Find My iPhone (and thus activation lock) turned on, the phone's value is already only as parts.

"Tracking" by IMEI—which would require carrier cooperation, which is a non-starter right there—adds nothing to that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Did they change at some point where the name off then Id has to be the email associated with it? It didn't used to be the case and even now I have an Apple Id and developer account the same as my forum name.

If so though just make them an iTunes family account and then you can access the purchases

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Did they change at some point where the name off then Id has to be the email associated with it? It didn't used to be the case and even now I have an Apple Id and developer account the same as my forum name.

If so though just make them an iTunes family account and then you can access the purchases

I'm pretty sure he's talking about IDs for iTunes and iCloud. I'm fairly certain the user ID is the email associated with those.

EDIT: Here's the relevant page for changing the email associated, which also changes email you use to sign in. NOTE: you cannot change if the email is already being used on another account.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht5621

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 9, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

NyxBiker posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be able to turn the phone off without the password, when your phone is stolen it's too easy to stop the tracking just by turning it off. Is this a moronic idea?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be able to turn the phone off without the password, when your phone is stolen it's too easy to stop the tracking just by turning it off. Is this a moronic idea?

There would still be a hardware reset trigger (home and power buttons) so it's kind of irrelevant. Although it may give a bit more time for you to get to a computer to do activation lock before the thief figures that out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Workaround is to put it in a Faraday cage and wait for battery to die.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

What secret incantations do I have to perform to get Overcast to download my podcasts, ready to listen to when I start the app?

I've got background app refresh on, and allowed Overcast to use it, and I even allow cellular download yet I still have to often have to wait for podcasts to download when I start the app. It works some of the time, but not always.

Help me goons.

I've not had any issues with that. Did you ever turn off the background refresh or anything that might mess with that part of Overcast?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

flosofl posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about IDs for iTunes and iCloud. I'm fairly certain the user ID is the email associated with those.

EDIT: Here's the relevant page for changing the email associated, which also changes email you use to sign in. NOTE: you cannot change if the email is already being used on another account.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht5621

Thanks. That's what I suspected.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any must have apps on the 6 plus? I'm already loving Flipboard, Feedly, and iBooks on it, and looking for more great content consumption stuff (not really looking for games).

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

sleepwalkers posted:

I've not had any issues with that. Did you ever turn off the background refresh or anything that might mess with that part of Overcast?

Nope and ive checked its all turned on.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Are there many good interactive field guide apps? I think iBird is pretty great, and smartphones/tablets seem ideal for having with you and learning more about the world around you. Are the Audubon field guide apps any good, for instance? I would like to learn more about trees, but the Audubon Trees app has a lot of bad reviews.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are there any good Twitter apps that can stream hashtag tweets live?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Notability finally got updated so it actually works on iOS 8 and the 6+.

I don't know if anyone actually uses notability anymore. It's my note app just because I'm too lazy to try out anything new.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

Notability finally got updated so it actually works on iOS 8 and the 6+.

I don't know if anyone actually uses notability anymore. It's my note app just because I'm too lazy to try out anything new.

It's the best I've found for taking hand-written notes on powerpoints. The cloud support is terrible though so I'd be open to something better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Any good comic apps that support the 6 + yet?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I finally decided to take the plunge and get a password manager. First, I downloaded 1Password. I didn’t end up using it because I couldn’t use it with Chrome. I deleted that and picked up Lastpass since it had the bookmarklets that I could use with Chrome. I got it setup fine and the browser in the app works. It will fill the email/username and password fields. I go to Chrome, load up the site I want to test, and then use the bookmarklet by typing the name I assigned to the bookmarklet in the address bar.

The Lastpass box pops up, but it says “No sites match this domain.” I’ve tried this with several sites and I’m getting the same thing.

Any ideas?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dragonrah posted:

I finally decided to take the plunge and get a password manager. First, I downloaded 1Password. I didn’t end up using it because I couldn’t use it with Chrome. I deleted that and picked up Lastpass since it had the bookmarklets that I could use with Chrome. I got it setup fine and the browser in the app works. It will fill the email/username and password fields. I go to Chrome, load up the site I want to test, and then use the bookmarklet by typing the name I assigned to the bookmarklet in the address bar.

The Lastpass box pops up, but it says “No sites match this domain.” I’ve tried this with several sites and I’m getting the same thing.

Any ideas?

Make sure the URL in the password entry form in the vault matches the login URL and not just the general site URL.

For instance, https://www.facebook.com is just the website URL, it helps to make sure it says, https://www.facebook.com/login.php?login_attempt=1 or something to that effect. Though it's pretty functional to just have the general URL for most websites like FB, banks and stuff tend to need more accuracy. I've found that the best way is just to add entries from a computer browser when the little banner pops up after entering your info the first time, rather than from your device.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dragonrah posted:

Any ideas?
I don't understand, you don't need to use bookmarklets any more since they updated for iOS 8. On my iPad, I just select lastpass from the system share menu (you might need to pick 'more' first) and it gives me a touchID prompt, then autofills.

Works perfectly in Safari. Sadly only lets you copy/paste the password in Chrome, but it's much better and more secure than bookmarklets.

Set that up, then try in Safari as a test.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dragonrah posted:

I finally decided to take the plunge and get a password manager. First, I downloaded 1Password. I didn’t end up using it because I couldn’t use it with Chrome.

Did you try this?

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Is there a TV tracker app that lets you see what's already been aired? I thought TeeVee would be perfect but you can't view what's already been shown (unless I'm missing something). I'm in the UK so US shows disappear off my list overnight, which obviously isn't convenient for when I wake up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Roobsa posted:

Is there a TV tracker app that lets you see what's already been aired? I thought TeeVee would be perfect but you can't view what's already been shown (unless I'm missing something). I'm in the UK so US shows disappear off my list overnight, which obviously isn't convenient for when I wake up.

Did you try Episodes? I haven't used it for a while, but once upon a time when I did I was really happy with how it let me keep track of what I have and haven't watched.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Did you try Episodes? I haven't used it for a while, but once upon a time when I did I was really happy with how it let me keep track of what I have and haven't watched.

I hadn't heard of that. Just checked it out and it's a shame the design is so bad. Quite off putting but I guess it's functional. I'll have to put in request to the TeeVee devs because the design of that app is so gorgeous.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

This is only for the desktop version.

The share button works as wooger said. I don't use Safari though and I was hoping for a auto fill solution, but it'll do. Thank you for all the suggestions.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Earlier in the thread I asked about grocery list apps and found that I wasn't really happy with what was out there, so I made a small app of my own.

It's very basic but does exactly what I want it to do, which is display a single list with items to buy on top, and items I've previously entered on bottom, sorted alphabetically. Pull down to create a new item with suggestions based on previously-entered items. Tap an item to toggle bought/not bought, tap and hold to rename, swipe to delete. Plus it looks nice (I think).

Here's some promo codes if anyone is interested:

Edit: All gone! Don't wanna spam the thread, so PM me if you'd like a code.

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 11, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

took the last one, I will try it out this week!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Took 2nd to last, can/does it have iCloud sync or sharing?

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Grabbed fourth from the bottom. Thank you.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Took 2nd to last, can/does it have iCloud sync or sharing?

Unfortunately not, the list is just stored locally. I know that's a feature a lot of people use, so maybe I'll add it one day on the unlikely chance that the app becomes popular, but for now I don't have any plans for more features other than maybe a dark mode.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Sweet, looks good. I think I used e9xrhzuy.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Bottom Liner posted:

Are there any good Twitter apps that can stream hashtag tweets live?

Tweetbot, as you may know, streams your timeline on wifi. I was really surprised to see it doesn't do the same for search results or hashtags. /worthlesspost

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dragonrah posted:

Any ideas?

You don't have the URLS added to the passes in your lastpass vault.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

decypher posted:

Tweetbot, as you may know, streams your timeline on wifi. I was really surprised to see it doesn't do the same for search results or hashtags. /worthlesspost

Yeah, that's what prompted my prompt in the first place :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Bottom Liner posted:

Any good comic apps that support the 6 + yet?

I don't have a recommendation, but I would also like to know this. Really looking for a good comic app with 6+ support.