Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

wut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's like those ATM skimmers, but in Isaac. And painfully obvious.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

"You've got 10 cents left, why don't you donate it? *wink**wink*"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He left when I left the room and came back, oh well.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just did a power swap and I don't know what the gently caress I got.

I know one of them was Brimstone but I couldn't fire it normally, instead I'd create little brimstone portals that would then fire, I could have like 7 or 8 in any given room just blasting poo poo, it also changed colors every room, one of them was pink and would veer to hit things, it was pretty funky.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alteisen posted:

I know one of them was Brimstone but I couldn't fire it normally, instead I'd create little brimstone portals that would then fire, I could have like 7 or 8 in any given room just blasting poo poo, it also changed colors every room, one of them was pink and would veer to hit things, it was pretty funky.

Sounds like Anti-gravity shots and Rainbow shots.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Brimstone + Anti-grav tears + 3 dollar bill.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Alteisen posted:

you got the antigravity tears powerup and the three dollar bill, which changes to a random shot effect every room

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So how do you get ending 17?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So how do you get ending 17?

You wait for Edmund to make it exist.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just got brimstone, ludovico technique and contact lense at the same time. It gives you a giant permanent steerable brimstone donut that blocks shots and tears through anything in a matter of seconds. I completely destroyed the boss rush, I'm just sad I hadn't unlocked Sheol yet and didn't get a devil room after mom's heart.

Is there some trick to getting Judas? Guide says to beat The Womb, but I've gotten Utero like 7 times in a row now instead.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I just got brimstone, ludovico technique and contact lense at the same time. It gives you a giant permanent steerable brimstone donut that blocks shots and tears through anything in a matter of seconds. I completely destroyed the boss rush, I'm just sad I hadn't unlocked Sheol yet and didn't get a devil room after mom's heart.

Is there some trick to getting Judas? Guide says to beat The Womb, but I've gotten Utero like 7 times in a row now instead.

Kill Satan.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
A blindfold-inspired character idea to torture you all:

Lot
Unlocked by "not turning back" - a Mom kill with no backtracking, which requires a lot of luck. Mercifully, entering and exiting item rooms, shops, arcades, challenge rooms, et cetera, does not count as backtracking. If you hit a dead end, though, you're hosed for unlocking Lot with that run; you can't go back to earlier rooms to collect pickups, either.

Lot starts with three items:
Lot's Bag, an item equivalent to the other characters' strictly cosmetic items like Maggy's Wig. He's wearing a bag over his head, that's all. It's not strictly cosmetic, though; Lot cannot fire tears.
Lot's Bottle, a spacebar item somewhat similar to Breath Of Life, but much more powerful. You can use it for up to six consecutive seconds by holding your spacebar down, and are invincible as long as you hold it down. It recharges half as fast as it's used up - twelve seconds from empty to full. Don't give it up; you loving need it to make not-retardedly-tedious use of Lot's Curse.
Lot's Curse, a passive similar to The Virus, E. Coli, and Midas Touch, but with the twist that its DPS is effected by your Tear and Damage stats. Enemies killed by Lot's Curse turn into piles of salt, which are just reskinned poop. Lot's Curse also semirandomly spawns white beams from Heaven - in ordinary circumstances they are entirely random, but they will show up frequently to specifically target inaccessible enemies, like wall-spiders that are across gaps.

Lot's unlocks include:
Lot's Grandkids - for defeating the Boss Rush with Lot. Single item consisting of a pair of familiars. They follow their targets, not you. Each have a potentially-devastating high-fire rate, but one targets doors instead of enemies, while the other has the R U A Wizard diagonal-tears-effect permanently.
Sodomy - for defeating Satan with Lot. Passive deal with the devil item that appears to be a bottle of lube. Picking up a red heart has a 50% chance to spawn a black heart. The red heart must actually be picked up, so the item has no utility in some situations - ever for Blue Baby/???, or, obviously, The Lost.
Wrath Of God - for defeating Isaac with Lot. Spacebar item with high recharge time which appears to be a flaming angel. Spawns a white beam from Heaven on every grid square of the room, one column at a time in rapid succession from left to right.
Lot's Medicine - for defeating ???/Blue Baby with Lot. Trinket with appearance of pill bottle full of Forget-Me-Nows. 50% chance that jumping through a trap door/womb resets the current floor instead of moving to the next one, akin to the effect of Forget-Me-Now or the fifth dice room type.
Cricket's Claws - for defeating The Lamb with Lot. Spacebar item with instant recharge time akin to Guppy's Paw. Appears to be a pile of claws. Consumes one heart container to gives you a tiny, mid-radius, high-speed, high-damage, orbital. There is no limit to how many of the orbitals you may create, except for how many heart containers you have. Counts towards transformation into Cricket.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LaughMyselfTo posted:

A blindfold-inspired character idea to torture you all:

Enemies killed by Lot's Curse turn into piles of salt, which are just reskinned poop. Lot's Curse also semirandomly spawns white beams from Heaven - in ordinary circumstances they are entirely random, but they will show up frequently to specifically target inaccessible enemies, like wall-spiders that are across gaps.

I feel like you're missing out on some flavor here - Salt should damage any enemy that's visibly showing blood when they touch it :getin:.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Is it just me or does Pin's health bar seem buggy? Every time I kill him he jumps from 10-15% to dead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ludovico + Brimstone.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I thought Chocolate Milk + Brimstone was hot poo poo pre-patch but this is just unfair.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone explain what just happened?

I had an Eden run that started with Isaac's Tears, which is a really neat item. I picked up Ipecac and that did this to it. Then I got Technology, which made my main shot a laser but kept Isaac's Tears as Ipecac. My damage and shot speed were maxed for that floor. Then I go to the next one and suddenly my damage is at 3 and my shot speed is at 2. I died to Lokii and when I respawned my stats were different again. Damage was 2, shot speed maxed.

What the hell was causing that?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm sad that there are some item combinations that just plain don't work. I had chocolate milk, then picked up Technology, and instead of getting a charging laser I got a slow-shooting laser that did drat near 0 damage. Earlier in that same run I had a Brimstone Baby, and when I picked up the Mongo Baby, which is supposed to copy one of my other familiars, it instead just deleted the brimstone baby and shot regular tears. Those two things together turned me from being able to put out a lot of damage into just suiciding on the nearest spikes because why even bother anymore.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Oh cool I have pyromania and a bunch of healt containers. All I need is some bombs and I'll bet set for this run!"

*no bombs spawn for the last 4 floors*

:geno:

The worst part is I got Mom's heart down to a sliver of health despite having no damage items. If I'd remembered to use my empress card at the start of the fight I would of at least won that. :negative:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tafferling posted:

Do not fire a spacebar item with floating effect(eg: the bible) to get another spacebar item over a chasm. The effect doesn't carry. And then you'll will be out of charges. End of run.

Hey, this happened to me with curse of the unknown or whatever the one that turns items into red question marks. I had a bible and was cruising towards completing my High Brow run, then got caught on an island because I picked up a Guppy's Head.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah same thing happens to me with coins. It never fails that I'll pick up a quarter or a steam sale and then never get enough keys to get anything but the item room for the rest of the run, or nothing but greed and super greed.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ChibiSoma posted:

Can someone explain what just happened?

What the hell was causing that?

I'm not 100% sure on those item interactions in terms of how they affect damage, but the answer is probably that the pause screen numbers don't really mean anything. An item that gives a "Damage Up" bonus isn't necessarily just a +1 or +2 to damage, and having a full bar doesn't mean that you're actually maxed in terms of how much damage you can do. Pretty much every stat is much more complicated than it appears and the pause screen is only meant to give you a rough idea of how your guy is doing.

I think the screen just didn't immediately reflect your damage until you went to the next floor and died. First it showed your IPECAC stats, then you went to the next floor and it started reflecting the fact that you have Tech, and then I dunno what when you died/respawned. But yeah long story short, the pause screen is ambiguous at best, deceptive/pointless at worst.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Alkydere posted:

Is it just me or does Pin's health bar seem buggy? Every time I kill him he jumps from 10-15% to dead.

This exact same thing happens to me, but with how lovely the health bars were in the original I don't mind.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So Tammy's Head is a really good item for Azazel to get on Basement 2. Also a 9-volt in the shop. And a bunch of damage-up items. :stare:

Anti-gravity tears, on the other hand, are not. Not like it mattered, I tore through the boss rush, Satan, and finally unlocked Judas and ???. Now I have all the characters except for the one that I won't get for a while because I am not a masochist.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Boy is still broken. :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yes! I finally got scythes to drop! Holy poo poo I'm loving these (they're basically huge as gently caress piercing shots that come with a free damage up)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Zoness posted:

Well, getting spirit of the night as eve is certainly pretty neat, totally worth going to 0 health:

How does goat head work if you dont' pick it up in a devil room - does it affect the likelihood of getting angel rooms as well as devil rooms?

What's the full explanation on angel room and devil room mechanics? My vague understanding is something about avoiding damage increases the likelihood of a devil room and rejecting devil deals increases the likelihood of an angel room?

You can still get angel rooms with it, I did in a recent run.

But basically the way it worked in vanilla was if you didn't take red heart damage on a whole floor then you have 100% chance of a deal. If you just don't on the boss, then you have a chance too just not as big. There's also items that increase your chance. But if you get it on one floor then the next floor you have a reduced chance by like 1/4th.

With the angel rooms you need to get a chance at a devil deal first then turn it down. Then your next devil deal has like 50% chance of an angel deal.

I think Goat's head, along with a couple other items, shows up a bit too much for how powerful it is.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 10, 2014

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Van Kraken posted:

Dead Boy is still broken. :(

Patch is coming Monday or Tuesday to fix that.

Does anyone have tips on the Suicide King challenge? I can't do it. :qq:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

NoUU posted:

Patch is coming Monday or Tuesday to fix that.

Does anyone have tips on the Suicide King challenge? I can't do it. :qq:

get lucky with a round worm trinket in like your second room and never have to worry about your shots hitting you again because they're too busy hurling themselves into other random poo poo

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Tammy's head + Brimstone + Tiny planet might as well just cause a menu to pop up asking you which ending you want, good grief.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

What's the full explanation on angel room and devil room mechanics?

To determine what type of special room spawns the game randomly picks with percentage chance based on: precedent (what deals have you taken, have you refused devil deals) and possibly Faith/Sin/Evil.

To determine if the entrance to a room spawns the game randomly decides with percentage chance based: boolean did you take red heart damage over the course of the floor and boolean did you take red heart damage during the boss.

The Goat Head is a large (100%?) increase to the latter percentage.

You cannot naturally obtain a deal on the first floor. (So saving spirit/sin hearts for the second floor is a wise choice)

PS: I'm not 100% sure about most of this because it's Rebirth.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It seems a great deal easier to get devil deals.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.
Spoilers:
http://i.imgur.com/r4n5XtX.png

Dead Cat is a good item.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess the patch this week will fix the immortal Lost bug?

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Took a while, but found the drat D6.

Nothing like getting Polyphemus as your first room item. :allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

PureQuestion posted:

Spoilers:
http://i.imgur.com/r4n5XtX.png

Dead Cat is a good item.

Do you unlock anything as him?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
So I just beat The Lamb and Mega Satan. Got Golden God from the first one of those as well as the Missing Poster unlock, and seemingly nothing from the second. Am I supposed to get anything unlocked by beating that last boss? An achievement even?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rashomon posted:

Am I supposed to get anything unlocked by beating that last boss? An achievement even?

The satisfaction of a job well done.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My body is ready

e: Isaac bullshitted me with a laser in what should have been the safe corner :negative:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.

Davincie posted:

Do you unlock anything as him?

He has unlocks for Boss Rush/Isaac/???/Satan/Lamb, same as anyone else.