Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Throwing shade at Teddy is a new low for this thread.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

I can hardly bear it.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Patrick looks like he's going into hibernation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Teddie sucks and is the worst part of Persona 4 across all media relating to it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Madmarker posted:

I can hardly bear it.

These puns are unbeara.... they're bad.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
P Sully needs to give up on those last 10 hairs on his forward comb-over.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

And a friend of mine goes undefeated to win SCG Columbus.

Alright then.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

And a friend of mine goes undefeated to win SCG Columbus.

Alright then.

Weird, huh? Imagine my surprise when I opened Twitch and saw Steve Rubin in the finals.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Ahahaha wrecked Todd Anderson in the finals of the makeup PTQ and he runs to twitter and lies about how he lost, rulessssss

On the plus side I'm on the pro tour

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I Love You! posted:

Ahahaha wrecked Todd Anderson in the finals of the makeup PTQ and he runs to twitter and lies about how he lost, rulessssss

On the plus side I'm on the pro tour

Well hey, congrats! How did the games actually go?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well hey, congrats! How did the games actually go?

He kept a poo poo hand g2 and lost for it (I mulled to 6, he mulled to 5) and g1 I mulled with him keeping a full 7 and wrecked him and it wasn't really close, his "misplay" was killing my bond-kin which considering I saw the rest of his hand was an obvious play. Also my deck was worlds better than his despite having no bombs, he's a hilarious baby. He lost despite having the same amount of mulls as me and winning the coin flip, after offering to buy me out for an invite, so I'm lollin my way to the bank while he cries to twitter followers.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I Love You! posted:

He kept a poo poo hand g2 and lost for it (I mulled to 6, he mulled to 5) and g1 I mulled with him keeping a full 7 and wrecked him and it wasn't really close, his "misplay" was killing my bond-kin which considering I saw the rest of his hand was an obvious play. Also my deck was worlds better than his despite having no bombs, he's a hilarious baby. He lost despite having the same amount of mulls as me and winning the coin flip, after offering to buy me out for an invite, so I'm lollin my way to the bank while he cries to twitter followers.

Grats on the PT invite!

How much did he offer to buy you out for?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

After playing Todd at Roanoke several times that sounds utterly, inanely normal of him. He usually whines and asks brad to "hit the gym" (lol) or something - half the time in his PJs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

I Love You! posted:

after offering to buy me out for an invite, so I'm lollin my way to the bank while he cries to twitter followers.

Wait I'm pretty sure buying a slot on a pro tour is something that is really bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah, that's suuuper against the rules. You should probably report it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
He was offering all the prize packs/sets and some of the cash prize, which he then recanted and said he couldn't do the cash prize portion based on what the admins were telling him. Are prize splits w/r to pro tour placement illegal? I'll certainly report it if so, I recorded the whole match and convo though I'm not particularly interested in trying to bust him if what he did was probably legit.

I do hate people bullying when they know the rules and their opponents don't sooo

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

He was offering all the prize packs/sets and some of the cash prize, which he then recanted and said he couldn't do the cash prize portion based on what the admins were telling him. Are prize splits w/r to pro tour placement illegal? I'll certainly report it if so, I recorded the whole match and convo though I'm not particularly interested in trying to bust him if what he did was probably legit.

I do hate people bullying when they know the rules and their opponents don't sooo

Huh, trading the invite is always a thing that was allowed in paper PTQs. People trade ticks/packs for QPs all the time on modo anyway afaik.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I was at a GPT a couple weeks back and the L3 judge allowed the players at the finals table to negotiate a prize split in exchange for one of them conceding, so it SOUNDS like what he did was okay...

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

As long as nothing else is being negotiated than the prizes at stake, you're on the clear. They clarified the online policy on prize splits and like few months back: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online-announcements-august-13-2014-policy-update-2014-08-13

quote:

Prize Splitting

In the final round of an event, two players matched against each other may negotiate their match result to split whatever prizes are at stake between them, including (but not limited to) Qualifier Points and invitations. Offering prizes outside those Magic Online would award based on the outcome of that match to the participants is still considered bribery. All prize splits are done at the players’ own risk, and Magic Online will not enforce any agreed-upon splits in any situation.

Edit: Also congrats in the invite. Is it the February Modern PT?

deftest
May 7, 2011
edit: Above! Thanks

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Zoness posted:

Huh, trading the invite is always a thing that was allowed in paper PTQs. People trade ticks/packs for QPs all the time on modo anyway afaik.
Yeah... I'm pretty sure that's actually okay? Offering them the 8-7 split in return for the win on your record is okay, and that seems like a logical extension of that. As long as he didn't offer you any additional payment, I think he'd be in the clear.

Edit: Looks like that seems to be the rules. Does seem like he'd be pushing the letter of the law a little bit though, which was probably why the TOadmin stepped in.

Jonked fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 10, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Jonked posted:

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that's actually okay? Offering them the 8-7 split in return for the win on your record is okay, and that seems like a logical extension of that. As long as he didn't offer you any additional payment, I think he'd be in the clear.

Edit: Looks like that seems to be the rules. Does seem like he'd be pushing the letter of the law a little bit though, which was probably why the TO stepped in.

Offering cash is always a huge red flag in anything involving prize splits wrt magic.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Lunsku posted:

As long as nothing else is being negotiated than the prizes at stake, you're on the clear. They clarified the online policy on prize splits and like few months back: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online-announcements-august-13-2014-policy-update-2014-08-13

Yeah, then he was totally in the clear. He briefly offered me a portion of the $1500 cash reward from showing up at the following event but recanted when he was supposedly told he couldn't. So no worries. Also I won so yeahhhhhh

Lunsku posted:

Edit: Also congrats in the invite. Is it the February Modern PT?

Yes, to the best of my knowledge

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 10, 2014

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Zoness posted:

Offering cash is always a huge red flag in anything involving prize splits wrt magic.
As well it should be. Once you start getting into trading fungible assets, you're opening a world of pain. I was just saying that, as a logical extension, he'd probably be able to argue that it was all fine. But on the other hand, you can make almost anything sound terrible by taking it to the extremes.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I think the question there is whether you can consider the Pro Tour Challenge slot you get from MTGO PTQ a cash prize or not. Wizards considers that a "no" I think: "IMPORTANT NOTE: Pro Tour Challenge qualification does not guarantee prizes. You must participate in the Challenge event at the corresponding Pro Tour in order to be eligible for the Challenge prizes.". So the "guaranteed 1500$" you essentially get from showing up at the PT is not yours to negotiate in a split.

Edit: Yup, that.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 10, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I Love You! posted:

Also I won so yeahhhhhh

How many thousands of Khans packs have you got now? Also, congratulations.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Rinkles posted:

How many thousands of Khans packs have you got now? Also, congratulations.

Like 230 or something plus all the rest of the prizes, but I will probably have to turn most of that into a modern deck for the Pro Tour because I don't actually own a single deck of any sort

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

After playing Todd at Roanoke several times that sounds utterly, inanely normal of him. He usually whines and asks brad to "hit the gym" (lol) or something - half the time in his PJs.

Yeah, my favorite Todd story is in his 'farewell to Gerry T' article for SCG, which is basically this massive cathartic piece about how he personally has dealt with like massive insecurity issues and always had some imagined beef with Gerry (I assume for being an actual good magic player) that came to a head when he drunkenly punched Gerry in the face in the parking lot of some Denny's at 2 in the morning. He's always sounded like a huge whiny douche to me - and it's based mostly on stuff he writes himself.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

I Love You! posted:

Like 230 or something plus all the rest of the prizes, but I will probably have to turn most of that into a modern deck for the Pro Tour because I don't actually own a single deck of any sort

I'd tell you to play Hatebears but Hatebears is awful against Delver and mediocre against Jeskai Ascendancy so you'd probably scrub out :toot:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I Love You! posted:

You won the Legacy Open right?

You look like a nerd :haw:

But seriously good job nerd.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

You won the Legacy Open right?

You look like a nerd :haw:

But seriously good job nerd.

I've never played legacy in my life, I won the limited online PTQ (redraft)

I'm a huge nerd but i usually look like a hipster with super puffy hair. A tryhard nerd, if you will

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 10, 2014

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Later this month me and one of my friends will be attending the GP in Strassbourgh, the format is Khans of Tarkir Sealed. I'm making a sort of checklist to see what we should bring with us to get us through the day, we're not expecting to make day 2 but we would like to be prepared for at least one solid day of magic. I've got the basic stuff like bring enough water, bring snacks to get you through the day, lands, sleeves ect. We're making sure to preregister online so we won't get caught in any lines and have a bad/late start.
What else should I think about and what's it actually like playing in a GP? And what sleeves should I get, KMC ones?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I Love You! posted:

I've never played legacy in my life, I won the limited online PTQ (redraft)

I'm a huge nerd but i usually look like a hipster with super puffy hair. A tryhard nerd, if you will

Wait you're from Texas right? We've actually met before; a mutual friend just told me you won the PTQ. No wonder your stream name sounded familiar to me when you've linked it here in the past.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Teddie sucks and is the worst part of Persona 4 across all media relating to it.

You are 100% objectively wrong. Especially in Golden, where they added Marie, who is basically a Teddy clone without the endearing aspects.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

lockdar posted:

Later this month me and one of my friends will be attending the GP in Strassbourgh, the format is Khans of Tarkir Sealed. I'm making a sort of checklist to see what we should bring with us to get us through the day, we're not expecting to make day 2 but we would like to be prepared for at least one solid day of magic. I've got the basic stuff like bring enough water, bring snacks to get you through the day, lands, sleeves ect. We're making sure to preregister online so we won't get caught in any lines and have a bad/late start.
What else should I think about and what's it actually like playing in a GP? And what sleeves should I get, KMC ones?

Unless you have a goal in mind, either cut down on your trade binder or don't bring one at all. Having to lug something heavy around all day is a pain and it's one more thing to keep track of (there are plenty of stories about a pack getting snatched during a game, or a card or two in a binder going missing while getting leafed through.)

Make sure your snacks don't make you want to kill yourself. Candy bars or whatever sound good until its all you have to go on. I played in a PTQ this weekend, and even though there was a pizza place and a chinese restaurant a few doors down, I didn't have time for anything more than the trail mix and granola bars I brought.

Sleeve-Chat, KMCs should be fine. If you have some lightly used sleeves floating around and don't feel like buying a fresh pack for whatever reason (or if you open a fresh pack and things appear slightly miscut or miscolored), you have the option of approaching a judge before the players meeting and asking for a quick sleeve check. I did this at an Open; it's a pretty unremarkable request.

Play tight. Don't expect things like taking back mis-tapped lands (a serious problem when you're worried about 3+ colors of mana), and don't feel bad if you don't grant requests for the same from your opponent. Similarly, don't hold it against anyone if they call a judge, and don't hesitate to call a judge if something seems off or if you just want clarification on a play/interaction.

Oh, and have fun, I guess.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

I Love You! posted:

Congrats man. I've been going to PTQs since Theros, and just a couple of weeks made it to my first top 8. I would've been in the same boat myself, but I got knocked out in the semis. :(

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I Love You! posted:

Good problem to have :P

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

CountFosco posted:

Congrats man. I've been going to PTQs since Theros, and just a couple of weeks made it to my first top 8. I would've been in the same boat myself, but I got knocked out in the semis. :(

I feel like I cheated since I basically got 2 shots at the top 8 AND this was my first ever PTQ event (or even ptq qualifier). On top of that the deck i put together in the redraft was completely loving ridiculous (seriously, check this thing out http://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator/b/587115097 ).

I'm pretty drat good/experienced at limited though so I guess it makes sense that I would do real well. I have no idea why I never really tried before now.

Ultima66 posted:

Wait you're from Texas right? We've actually met before; a mutual friend just told me you won the PTQ. No wonder your stream name sounded familiar to me when you've linked it here in the past.

I'm guessing you're talking about Jeff? Your username is really familiar.

• Locked thread